May has gone - ding dong the utter, utter, total failure of a prime minister is gone

Comments

• Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Sometime it's easier to fly though
    https://youtu.be/6VLYpKGVBUg

Classic. :) "Alan Bennett class"
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Robert88 wrote:

I am certainly not suggesting he should be locked up - it's too late anyway and I don't see Johnston being a good influence on the other inmates.
    At least his "campaigning" would only be to people who aren't allowed to vote.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,538
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

The outside lav is a nice touch :D
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Wossup wi yer? Thought it were the chuffin' bog oop your way? "Lav" is coming it posh in't it?
  • Stevo_666
    Robert88 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Wossup wi yer? Thought it were the chuffin' bog oop your way? "Lav" is coming it posh in't it?
    It would be entirely appropriate if you're flying Alan Bennett class.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,262
    rjsterry wrote:
    Boris' buses. Yesterday's ramblings provide a SEO benefit

https://twitter.com/PickardJE/status/11 ... 10592?s=19

All ties in with his use of codswallop to describe Carole Cadwaladr's story about him talking to Bannon - the same word that Arron Banks uses in his attacks on her reporting. And the Jeremy Vine story of Johnson giving exactly the same after dinner speech - pauses, stumbles and digression all faithfully repeated - several years apart. He's very good at looking like he's a bumbling idiot, but it's all an act.

I agree with that, but still don't get it.

If you know it's an act, why would you want him as PM? And if you think he really is a bumbling idiot, why would you want him as PM?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,799
    Mainly because he is saying what they want to hear.
    Trump will be his role model. Gawd help us.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,689
    rjsterry wrote:
    Boris' buses. Yesterday's ramblings provide a SEO benefit

https://twitter.com/PickardJE/status/11 ... 10592?s=19

All ties in with his use of codswallop to describe Carole Cadwaladr's story about him talking to Bannon - the same word that Arron Banks uses in his attacks on her reporting. And the Jeremy Vine story of Johnson giving exactly the same after dinner speech - pauses, stumbles and digression all faithfully repeated - several years apart. He's very good at looking like he's a bumbling idiot, but it's all an act.

I agree with that, but still don't get it.

If you know it's an act, why would you want him as PM? And if you think he really is a bumbling idiot, why would you want him as PM?

Some are taken in by the persona and some just want a leader who is popular.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry
    "The hour is darkest before the dawn" Ugh, he can't even tell the truth about daylight. The irony of him wanting to rebuild trust in politics might be more than I can bear.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,734
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Appears that the people who were 'concerned for the safety' of their neighbour were lefties who are now having to defend their actions. Naturally, the two things you immediately do if you're concerned about your neighbours safety is to record the occurrence and send a copy to the Guardian :)
    So should left-wingers not be able to raise concerns about right-wingers, or contact the press, and vice versa? If a right-winger had a juicy story on Jeremy Corbyn, they shouldn't be allowed to contact The Telegraph?
    Of course they can, it's a free country. I am simply casting doubt on their motives for doing what they did. Also it appears that this thread needs a bit of balance, as do some others on here :)

So, FWIW, the neighbours have moved out and are having to get security advice after a series of threats.

It's all the means for the greater end, isn't it?

In that respect they're just as bad as the commie momentum lot.
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Appears that the people who were 'concerned for the safety' of their neighbour were lefties who are now having to defend their actions. Naturally, the two things you immediately do if you're concerned about your neighbours safety is to record the occurrence and send a copy to the Guardian :)
    So should left-wingers not be able to raise concerns about right-wingers, or contact the press, and vice versa? If a right-winger had a juicy story on Jeremy Corbyn, they shouldn't be allowed to contact The Telegraph?
    Of course they can, it's a free country. I am simply casting doubt on their motives for doing what they did. Also it appears that this thread needs a bit of balance, as do some others on here :)

So, FWIW, the neighbours have moved out and are having to get security advice after a series of threats.

It's all the means for the greater end, isn't it?

In that respect they're just as bad as the commie momentum lot.

That reminds me of this recording of Johnson and his mate Darius:

https://twitter.com/PeoplesMomentum/sta ... 5547331586
    During a telephone call in 1990, he asked Boris Johnson (then a journalist at the Telegraph) to provide the home address of News of the World journalist Stuart Collier. Collier had been making enquiries into Guppy's background, and in response Guppy wanted to send someone to physically assault Collier. The address was not provided, and the attack never took place, but a tape of the conversation was leaked to the press in June 1995.

I guess it's no secret where his neighbours (used to) live.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Meanwhile, a slightly out-there yet somehow plausible conspiracy theory about the buses...

TLDR: it's an attempt at SEO so that, when you search "Boris" and "buses", all the results about bendy buses & fake money for NHS claims don't appear at the top.
  • Ben6899
    bompington wrote:
    Meanwhile, a slightly out-there yet somehow plausible conspiracy theory about the buses...

TLDR: it's an attempt at SEO so that, when you search "Boris" and "buses", all the results about bendy buses & fake money for NHS claims don't appear at the top.

I don't think it's all that out-there, to be honest. Given who we're talking about. He's delivered the same speech, years apart, with characteristic blundering, floundering and long pauses in all the same places.

It's an act. He's a cunning, nasty, bullying piece of work.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,583
    bompington wrote:

Covered in a Tweet TWH posted yesterday. It actually makes more sense than it being a random answer he just happened to come up with although it would suggest he'd have to have been aware the question of what he does in his spare time would be raised.
  • Ben6899
    Pross wrote:
    bompington wrote:

Covered in a Tweet TWH posted yesterday. It actually makes more sense than it being a random answer he just happened to come up with although it would suggest he'd have to have been aware the question of what he does in his spare time would be raised.

Impressionable interviewers will ask whatever questions they've been told to ask...
    Ben

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,641
    Ben6899 wrote:
    bompington wrote:

I don't think it's all that out-there, to be honest. Given who we're talking about. He's delivered the same speech, years apart, with characteristic blundering, floundering and long pauses in all the same places.

In order to make people forget about Boris buses, he brought up a hobby and went on to talk about Boris buses? I find it really hard to believe it had anything to do with negative articles on Boris buses.

Separately, there does seem to be evidence that Boris has previously mentioned painting Camembert boxes and that he has drawn a bus which sold at auction.

I don't really get why people go on about all this. Much easier to focus on his time in public office and to ask questions about bridges, airports, water cannons and buses. Although, criticising him for the latter is, accordingly to some, not fair because London's transport system is still better than Cumbria's.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,262
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:
    bompington wrote:

In order to make people forget about Boris buses, he brought up a hobby and went on to talk about Boris buses? I find it really hard to believe it had anything to do with negative articles on Boris buses.

Separately, there does seem to be evidence that Boris has previously mentioned painting Camembert boxes and that he has drawn a bus which sold at auction.

I don't really get why people go on about all this. Much easier to focus on his time in public office and to ask questions about bridges, airports, water cannons and buses. Although, criticising him for the latter is, accordingly to some, not fair because London's transport system is still better than Cumbria's.

As a Conservative, he gets some credit for not completely dismantling an integrated transport system.
  • Ben6899
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:
    bompington wrote:

London's transport system is world class, top of the pile, and has long been established as such. Criticism is ill-conceived.

Boris doesn't deserve the plaudits though - his biggest achievements as Mayor were the new Routemaster (terrible bus) and the cable car. Both very much vanity projects that the sycophants laud him for.

"What about the hire bikes!?" Ken Livingstone - and I'm not a fan - did all the legwork for those.
    Ben

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:
    bompington wrote:

As a Conservative, he gets some credit for not completely dismantling an integrated transport system.

Khan is relishing that job instead, but I need to start a new thread for that one.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    Ben6899 wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:
    bompington wrote:

London's transport system is world class, top of the pile, and has long been established as such. Criticism is ill-conceived.

Boris doesn't deserve the plaudits though - his biggest achievements as Mayor were the new Routemaster (terrible bus) and the cable car. Both very much vanity projects that the sycophants laud him for.

"What about the hire bikes!?" Ken Livingstone - and I'm not a fan - did all the legwork for those.

Don't forget the bridge.
  • Stevo_666
    TheBigBean wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:
    bompington wrote:

Khan is relishing that job instead, but I need to start a new thread for that one.
    I've already got one thread going which could happily accommodate that. We don't want to reach the 'political whinge event horizon' where the sheer mass of all the political threads on Cake Stop causes the forum to collapse into a singularity from which there is no escape once you're inside.
  • rjsterry
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:
    bompington wrote:

I've already got one thread going which could happily accommodate that. We don't want to reach the 'political whinge event horizon' where the sheer mass of all the political threads on Cake Stop causes the forum to collapse into a singularity from which there is no escape once you're inside.

There's an outside?
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Stevo_666
    edited June 2019
    rjsterry wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:
    bompington wrote:

There's an outside?
    Hate to break it to you but Cake Stop is 'The Matrix'. Just trying to work out who the agents are these days.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    Westminster Voting Intention:

CON: 26% (+1)
    LAB: 24% (-3)
    LDM: 22% (+7)
    BXP: 12% (-4)
    GRN: 8% (-1)

Via @IpsosMORI.
    Changes w/ 10-14 May.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rjsterry
    TheBigBean wrote:

Not those buses; the bus.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    For the record I don't buy into this model bus making as a clever SEO strategy.
    It seems like a back filling of strategy.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,583
    TheBigBean wrote:

Do a Google search for 'Boris Johnson bus' now and all the front page results refer to that interview answer, if you'd done it prior to the interview it would have had photos of him with the £350 million a week for the NHS bus so whether intentional or not it has pushed one of his biggest lies slightly out of public view. The question then is whether he and his team are savvy enough in the ways of modern media manipulation to have played for it. That would have taken a process along the lines of:

'What's our biggest weakness?'
    'The lies on the bus'
    'How do we try to move away from that?'
    'Well it's all over the Internet but if we got a lot of traffic about him in another bus related story we can over-ride it'
    'OK, let's line the interviewer up to ask an innocuous question that allows Boris to get into a weird reply involving buses and hope the media lap it up'

So it does seem unlikely but who knows? There's a reason people pay a lot of money to someone to manage their media campaign.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    For the record I don't buy into this model bus making as a clever SEO strategy.
    It seems like a back filling of strategy.
    No no, a request to do some "back-filling" was the cause of all the plate throwing.
  • TheBigBean
    rjsterry wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:

For what it is worth, my order of bus irritation is as follows (i) Khan's bus changes (ii) All the places in the world that built out of town bus stations (iii) Boris Buses (iv) Rural buses not being subsidised by fuel tax (v) Livingston's bendy buses (vi) The Boris Bus.
  • rjsterry
    TheBigBean wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:

For what it is worth, my order of bus irritation is as follows (i) Khan's bus changes (ii) All the places in the world that built out of town bus stations (iii) Boris Buses (iv) Rural buses not being subsidised by fuel tax (v) Livingston's bendy buses (vi) The Boris Bus.
    I honestly can't say I've noticed the difference on London buses but maybe you use them more than me. I agree that the importance of that bus is overplayed.
    Pinnacle Monzonite