• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,169
    morstar said:

pblakeney said:

morstar said:

pblakeney said:

Pross said:

pblakeney said:

Is it my memory or has lambing season begun earlier than usual this year?

Depends if you are lowland or highland area. Quite normal to see lambs as early as January in low lying parts of Monmouthshire whereas up in the hills they’ll breed for lambs around April time. That said I haven’t seen any yet this year.
    I guess that is the answer. We went to the coast instead of up the hills for a change of scenery.
    Varies by region too.
    Back when I was in Nottingham, it was always February. Up in the grim north, it tends to be late March and April.
    Same area, just down dale instead of up hill. 😉
    I got that. I was adding additional info. Even used the word ‘too’.

I’ll go away!
    Don't leave because of my poor reading ability! 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    pblakeney said:

morstar said:

pblakeney said:

morstar said:

pblakeney said:

Pross said:

pblakeney said:

Depends if you are lowland or highland area. Quite normal to see lambs as early as January in low lying parts of Monmouthshire whereas up in the hills they’ll breed for lambs around April time. That said I haven’t seen any yet this year.
    I guess that is the answer. We went to the coast instead of up the hills for a change of scenery.
    Varies by region too.
    Back when I was in Nottingham, it was always February. Up in the grim north, it tends to be late March and April.
    Same area, just down dale instead of up hill. 😉
    I got that. I was adding additional info. Even used the word ‘too’.

I’ll go away!
    Don't leave because of my poor reading ability! 😉
    Too late, already gone! ;)
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,201
    morstar said:

pblakeney said:

Pross said:

pblakeney said:

Varies by region too.
    I'm in the grim north and I was uphill on t'bike and there were lambs out and about.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pinno

Pross said:

de_sisti said:

Just about to leave your house for a bike ride, or coming back from a bike ride, and a neighbour sees you and asks: "How far have you ridden?", or "Where have you ridden to?"

Yet when they see you go to your car, or emerge from your car, they never ask a question about your journey.

Fairly standard reaction to someone who is doing something they don’t feel they could do. They can jump in a car and drive themselves but are in awe of someone who can ride a bike more than a few miles and feel it is worthy of discussion. Take it as a complement.
    Reminds me of a taxi driver taking me home after a night out last year. Can't remember how the conversation got there but I ended up mentioning I'd done a 60 mile ride that morning and he exclaimed 'You what mate?! And you feel ok now?' whilst looking in the rear view like his passenger was revealed to be superman. I had to explain to him that in cycling terms it's entirely possible with training and my efforts were also rather low key, there are plenty of people doing much much more on a bike. Like you say though for some it is hard to grasp.
    How many people have got on bikes, found the biggest gear and then gone red in the face, huffin' and puffin'?
    So they liken cycling to running and any distance beyond running distance is inconceivable for that reason.
    Well, that's my theory anyway.
  • pblakeney
    edited February 2023
    pinno said:

Pross said:

de_sisti said:

Just about to leave your house for a bike ride, or coming back from a bike ride, and a neighbour sees you and asks: "How far have you ridden?", or "Where have you ridden to?"

Yet when they see you go to your car, or emerge from your car, they never ask a question about your journey.

Fairly standard reaction to someone who is doing something they don’t feel they could do. They can jump in a car and drive themselves but are in awe of someone who can ride a bike more than a few miles and feel it is worthy of discussion. Take it as a complement.
    Reminds me of a taxi driver taking me home after a night out last year. Can't remember how the conversation got there but I ended up mentioning I'd done a 60 mile ride that morning and he exclaimed 'You what mate?! And you feel ok now?' whilst looking in the rear view like his passenger was revealed to be superman. I had to explain to him that in cycling terms it's entirely possible with training and my efforts were also rather low key, there are plenty of people doing much much more on a bike. Like you say though for some it is hard to grasp.
    How many people have got on bikes, found the biggest gear and then gone red in the face, huffin' and puffin'?
    So they liken cycling to running and any distance beyond running distance is inconceivable for that reason.
    Another theory. I know of people who think that a 100 mile drive is borderline most you can do without an overnight stay. 100 miles on a bike is incomprehensible.
    Gawd, there are some small minded people in this county.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • morstar
    pinno said:

morstar said:

pblakeney said:

Pross said:

pblakeney said:

Varies by region too.
    I'm in the grim north and I was uphill on t'bike and there were lambs out and about.
    I am feeling victimised on this topic! :)

Maybe there’s a combination of both breed and timing.
    Some are hardier than others.

Sure as shit won’t see any round of this neck of the woods for many weeks.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,227
    pblakeney said:

pinno said:

Pross said:

de_sisti said:

Another theory. I know of people who think that a 100 mile drive is borderline most you can do without an overnight stay. 100 miles on a bike is incomprehensible.
    A fellow wheelers committee member is an audaxer. Chatting yesterday he casually mentioned he'd ridden home over to friend, 50 miles, gone for a ride with friend another 50, then ridden back home. Equals 150 miles. Jings.

Then there's the likes of Steve 'Teethgrinder' Abraham who did that bid for annual distance record which meant 200+ miles per day, every day, for a year. He didn't beat the record 'coz got taken out by some moped muppet, but went a looong way. Different planet.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 20,028
    orraloon said:

pblakeney said:

pinno said:

Pross said:

de_sisti said:

A fellow wheelers committee member is an audaxer. Chatting yesterday he casually mentioned he'd ridden home over to friend, 50 miles, gone for a ride with friend another 50, then ridden back home. Equals 150 miles. Jings.

Then there's the likes of Steve 'Teethgrinder' Abraham who did that bid for annual distance record which meant 200+ miles per day, every day, for a year. He didn't beat the record 'coz got taken out by some moped muppet, but went a looong way. Different planet.

Yeah, serious audaxers are nutters. I've a good friend who did PBP on a fixie.
  • orraloon
    Isn't / wasn't there someone on here who did one of the Spring Classics sportives (Paris Roubaix?) on a fixie?

The bloke I mentioned above has done PBP and LEL. I can only go 'fuxx yeah 👍'. 😉
  • briantrumpet
    orraloon said:

Isn't / wasn't there someone on here who did one of the Spring Classics sportives (Paris Roubaix?) on a fixie?

The bloke I mentioned above has done PBP and LEL. I can only go 'fuxx yeah 👍'. 😉

Me too. The most suffering I do is getting wind after eating too much cooked breakfast mid-ride.
  • pinno
    morstar said:

pinno said:

morstar said:

pblakeney said:

Pross said:

pblakeney said:

Varies by region too.
    I am feeling victimised on this topic! :)

Maybe there’s a combination of both breed and timing.
    Some are hardier than others.

Sure as censored won’t see any round of this neck of the woods for many weeks.
    I'll chuck on some loop holes for you.

I worked on 2 farms as a young Pinno.
    First caveat: Breeds. One had Jacob sheep. Very very hardy but more used to heat than cold and so Lambing was in late March/April.
    The other farm had Texel's and Swale dales.
    The Swale dales were indoor lambing only - else they would be very late and despite this, usually March/April. The Texels are a tough bunch. They climb on the tops of stone dy.ke's 'cos nobody told them they are not goats. They would be mid Feb onwards and out door.

Your other loop hole is climate, The West coast of Scotland benefits from being bathed by the gulf stream that keeps us mild in winter (and mild in summer). So this unique climate can yield sheep a lot earlier in the season, It probably affects the whole of the West coast of Britain.

I could safely presume that in the highlands (and especially farms that are up a couple of hundred meters), the lambing would be much delayed.

I have no idea how they breed Merino sheep, replete with massive wool, in arid conditions in Oz.
  • pblakeney
    There was a post on this somewhere but this popped up in FB today.

"It would have been my Dad’s birthday,Happy birthday Dad.Always thinking of you."

Just how happy does he think his Dad will be, and does his Dad still log onto FB?
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    pblakeney said:

"It would have been my Dad’s birthday,Happy birthday Dad.Always thinking of you."

Just how happy does he think his Dad will be, and does his Dad still log onto FB?

My brother in law, who literally refused to talk to his father for 10 years unless he was literally screaming in his face because his father kept trying to call him and he wouldn't answer, now leaves voicemails and texts on his now deceased father's voicemail.
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

My brother in law, who literally refused to talk to his father for 10 years unless he was literally screaming in his face because his father kept trying to call him and he wouldn't answer, now leaves voicemails and texts on his now deceased father's voicemail.
    That's even more crazy!
    At least on FB I can see that there is the public display of affection aspect.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rick_chasey
    TBH no-one likes him so the performance is for the only people who will pay attention, i.e. his mum.
  • pinno
    A FB Ouija facility. Now there's a thing.
  • morstar
    Somebody close to me had very little time to talk to her dad on the phone.

He died about 4 years ago and after about a year, she said “I miss talking to my dad on the phone”.

Er, you answered 1 out of every 10 calls. And that was begrudgingly.
  • orraloon
    Landline telephones.

Below is quote from my broadband provider, price jack a-coming from 23.99 pm to 26.99. Inflation innit.

But the intrigue element is in the (included but for me not used) landline part.

"From Mo‍nd‍ay 1‍7 Apr‍il, the price of calls made from your landline that are outside of your allowance will also increase in line with inflation. Calls to UK landlines, UK mobiles... will increase to 21.49p a min‍ute."

Eh? 21p per minute! Who tf would pay that? Unless the telecoms companies are exploiting the oldies?

My simple PAYG SIM mobile is 3p per minute. I may have spent c. £15 this past year on calls, texts and occasional off wifi data. Then there's whatsapp etc phone chatting.

Who in da modern wurld needs a landline telephone?
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,766
    Does anyone understand why the police are looking for Constance Marten and Mark Gordon? Is it just so the baby can have a medical check? If so, the amount of time and energy seems completely disproportional.
  • briantrumpet

Does anyone understand why the police are looking for Constance Marten and Mark Gordon? Is it just so the baby can have a medical check? If so, the amount of time and energy seems completely disproportional.

Because the media have picked it up? Well, the media I don't follow, I guess, as this is the first time I've heard of them.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,804
    The bloke's a sex offender isn't he so presumably there are safeguarding issues in respect of the baby.
  • pinno
    orraloon said:

Landline telephones.

Below is quote from my broadband provider, price jack a-coming from 23.99 pm to 26.99. Inflation innit.

But the intrigue element is in the (included but for me not used) landline part.

"From Mo‍nd‍ay 1‍7 Apr‍il, the price of calls made from your landline that are outside of your allowance will also increase in line with inflation. Calls to UK landlines, UK mobiles... will increase to 21.49p a min‍ute."

Eh? 21p per minute! Who tf would pay that? Unless the telecoms companies are exploiting the oldies?

My simple PAYG SIM mobile is 3p per minute. I may have spent c. £15 this past year on calls, texts and occasional off wifi data. Then there's whatsapp etc phone chatting.

Who in da modern wurld needs a landline telephone?

We have a landline and we have a package that includes fibre broadband and anytime free calls to mobiles and landlines.
    It's very handy given mobile signals are so poor in this area and if someone is trying to reach us when we're out and about, they can leave a message on the landline answer phone.

My sim is with EE as an add on to the above. £8.89 per month, unlimited UK calls.
    It's got X amount of download data but I rarely use any of it.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    mrb123 said:

The bloke's a sex offender isn't he so presumably there are safeguarding issues in respect of the baby.

This absolutely. He may be considered such a risk that would only be allowed access to his child under supervision.
    The fact that they have gone into hiding would suggest he wasn’t willing to engage with childcare services.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 8,066
    edited February 2023

Eat a variety of food and don't forget your five a day, make sure the fruit/veg cover the colour of the rainbow...

What interests me is how do Horses get away with just eating grass and hay?

Cows, sheep, goats, rabbits...Horses and Cows aren't exactly small either and look alright on a non varied diet. Look at race horses, bloody fit.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,354
    That's how they have evolved, in an environment where there's not much to eat beyond grass.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry said:

That's how they have evolved, in an environment where there's not much to eat beyond grass.

Sure, but it make you wonder if humans really require the selection of food we are pushed towards. It's only been what, the last 500-1000 years or less since our diets have been so varied. There was a lot of evolving before that, some people are intolerant to certain foods. Also, lions, tigers, wolves, birds of prey...
  • rick_chasey

rjsterry said:

Sure, but it make you wonder if humans really require the selection of food we are pushed towards. It's only been what, the last 500-1000 years or less since our diets have been so varied. There was a lot of evolving before that, some people are intolerant to certain foods. Also, lions, tigers, wolves, birds of prey...
    Well yes because our brains are so much bigger and we now live 2-3x as long as we did not so long ago.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,632
    It's a great point, I haven't been using my rumen much recently.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • rick_chasey
    IIRC our massive brains versus other animals are quite nutrient and energy intensive which is why cooking our food is so important as it releases much more of the energy & nutrients in the food.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,354
    edited February 2023

rjsterry said:

No we evolved in an environment with varied food sources. 500 years is nothing in evolutionary terms. We've only partial adaptations to digest milk and we've been herding livestock for 15,000 years.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition