Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 20,031

Apparently the payload was about the same size as three buses (not sure if that was the international 'London bus' unit of measurement)

How large was the balloon, in Wembleys?

I was thinking in sizes of whales actually.
  • Apparently the payload was about the same size as three buses (not sure if that was the international 'London bus' unit of measurement)

Due to it being in America, it is expressed thus:

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,770

pinno said:

pinno said:

Given that the balloon was visible from the ground and the republicans were screaming for it to be shot down and there's a large number of gun owning mad men out there, how many pot shots were taken at said balloon?

@ 66,000 feet?!
    I thought I'd read it was visible from the ground with the naked eye, I'm not saying shooting at it is rational, there's a lot of gun toting idiots in the US. I'd have thought more likely than hitting the balloon would be someone being injured by a bullet falling back to earth
    I'm sure there would have been some gun toting idiots with their assault rifles having a pop.
    Saw some tweets with the local governor pleading for people not to shoot at it as they won’t hit it but their bullets will land somewhere.
    These are the kind of idiots I was thinking of. Payload the size of 3 London buses must mean the balloon was about quarter of a Wembley. Is there a conversion from London buses to Greyhound buses, like from real gallons to US gallons?
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,201

pinno said:

Given that the balloon was visible from the ground and the republicans were screaming for it to be shot down and there's a large number of gun owning mad men out there, how many pot shots were taken at said balloon?

@ 66,000 feet?!
    I thought I'd read it was visible from the ground with the naked eye, I'm not saying shooting at it is rational, there's a lot of gun toting idiots in the US. I'd have thought more likely than hitting the balloon would be someone being injured by a bullet falling back to earth
    They are very large at that altitude.
    Yes of course; because of low air pressure. I didn't think of that.

[Geek mode: ON]
    Sea level 980mb or 14.7 psi. 50,000 feet: 1.6 psi or 110mb.
    So realistically, it would be difficult to estimate it's size. You would have to measure it on the ground fully inflated and then estimate it's expansion taking into consideration elasticity of material etc.
    I expect the pilot who flew the plane must have picked up it's approximate size from the radar.

Weather balloons, which are made of latex or synthetic rubber (neoprene), are filled with either hydrogen or helium. The sides are about 0.051 mm thick before release and will be only 0.0025 mm thick at typical bursting altitudes...

Helium and Hydrogen have a massive expansion ratio. Add low air pressure...

[Geek mode: OFF]
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,402

Apparently the payload was about the same size as three buses (not sure if that was the international 'London bus' unit of measurement)

Why are Americans using metres? Next thing we know they’ll be joining the EU, using the Euro and having burgundy passports then it’s a slippery slope to straight bananas and being run by Germany!
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,632
    That image needs an eagle
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,980
    pangolin said:

That image needs an eagle

Or a scale with a jumbo jet on it.
  • pinno
    Pross said:

Why are Americans using metres? Next thing we know they’ll be joining the EU, using the Euro and having burgundy passports then it’s a slippery slope to straight bananas and being run by Germany!
    Can we be run by Germany?

• pinno
    Back OT:
    Why would anyone vote for Rees Mogg?
  • drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150
    edited February 2023
    pinno said:

Back OT:

FPTP, when you want to avoid labour.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    drhaggis said:

pinno said:

Back OT:

Pretty sure he won over 50% of the votes anyway.

Rural West Country.

Sometimes the stereotypes come from somewhere.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,980

drhaggis said:

pinno said:

Back OT:

Rural West Country.

No they vote liberal down there, because yellow is a pretty colour.
  • Pross
    pinno said:

Pross said:

No, we were before and voted to stop.
  • drhaggis

drhaggis said:

pinno said:

Back OT:

Rural West Country.

There's no real choice in Britain. It's always tactical voting, even in safe seats, even when people don't actively realise. Someone would have to be exceptionally good or bad to make an actual difference on party voting patterns.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,981
    edited February 2023
    Pross said:

It's a good point. maybe the Statue of Liberty is 97 miles tall.

I got it off wikipedia, so there's your answer. I'll find a Fox news one where as well as being 721 Statue of Liberties high in the sky, it's also Biden's fault.
  • Did they use one of their Jewish space lasers?
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • Fox News:

The balloon is roughly the size of three Greyhound buses and is carrying heavy surveillance equipment.

Republicans blasted the Biden administration for its lack of action.
  • drhaggis
    Joke question?

Missiles have a limited amount of propellent on board, typically for a handful of seconds. After that, unlike most movies, maneuvering is all done at the expense of kinetic energy.

Without knowing more, the trail on the top left is possibly left by the rocket propellent.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,105
    pinno said:

Pross said:

We had the opportunity back in the 1940's but thought better of it. Some things don't change.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • The ballon had proppellers. Likely brushless motors so they can give it a blast of power when the batteries are solar charged, get it on course for the spying stuff. Above the cloud too, so sun all day.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 6,049
    edited February 2023
    Why @Jack_Luke keeps authorising the posts of blatent bots/spammers who have had posts flagged as spam by 5+ members, often dragging up threads from years ago with random comments/links. :D
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • veronese68
    The review of Conti Gatorskins on the homepage, they are regularly criticised on here for poor grip in bad weather, but reading this they are magical tyres with good grip, puncture protection and speed.
    https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/components/tyres/road-bike-tyres/continental-gatorskin-tyre-review/
  • The review of Conti Gatorskins on the homepage, they are regularly criticised on here for poor grip in bad weather, but reading this they are magical tyres with good grip, puncture protection and speed.
    https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/components/tyres/road-bike-tyres/continental-gatorskin-tyre-review/

Tried them as my winter tyre about a decade ago and hated them, not because of grip issues, they just didn't roll very well at all. Maybe they've improved them but I won't be finding out personally.
  • Pross

The review of Conti Gatorskins on the homepage, they are regularly criticised on here for poor grip in bad weather, but reading this they are magical tyres with good grip, puncture protection and speed.

Do Continental advertise on this or other sites owned by the publisher by any chance?
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,492
    It's almost as if they don't want to upset a major player in their limited marketplace
  • drhaggis
    It's all about ethics in cycling (material) journalism
  • veronese68
    Oh believe me, cynicism is there on my part. It's the sentence at the beginning about impartiality before a review that reads like a press release that I particularly enjoyed.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,105

Tried them as my winter tyre about a decade ago and hated them, not because of grip issues, they just didn't roll very well at all. Maybe they've improved them but I won't be finding out personally.
    They may well not be that fast but they are very puncture resistant in my experience. So great for commutes but maybe less so if you're trying to set records on Strava etc.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Stevo_666 said:

They may well not be that fast but they are very puncture resistant in my experience. So great for commutes but maybe less so if you're trying to set records on Strava etc.
    Would not go near them for an urban commute. Absolutely lethal.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,632
    I remember them being reasonably puncture resistant and great at doing long slides. Not great if you just want to stop quickly though.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono