Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    from the continental range, GP 4 seasons is everything that gatorskins aren't.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,105

Stevo_666 said:

The review of Conti Gatorskins on the homepage, they are regularly criticised on here for poor grip in bad weather, but reading this they are magical tyres with good grip, puncture protection and speed.
    https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/components/tyres/road-bike-tyres/continental-gatorskin-tyre-review/

Tried them as my winter tyre about a decade ago and hated them, not because of grip issues, they just didn't roll very well at all. Maybe they've improved them but I won't be finding out personally.
    They may well not be that fast but they are very puncture resistant in my experience. So great for commutes but maybe less so if you're trying to set records on Strava etc.
    Would not go near them for an urban commute. Absolutely lethal.
    I'm still very much alive after several years of urban commuting on them. What's the problem?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rick_chasey
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

The review of Conti Gatorskins on the homepage, they are regularly criticised on here for poor grip in bad weather, but reading this they are magical tyres with good grip, puncture protection and speed.
    https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/components/tyres/road-bike-tyres/continental-gatorskin-tyre-review/

Tried them as my winter tyre about a decade ago and hated them, not because of grip issues, they just didn't roll very well at all. Maybe they've improved them but I won't be finding out personally.
    They may well not be that fast but they are very puncture resistant in my experience. So great for commutes but maybe less so if you're trying to set records on Strava etc.
    I'm still very much alive after several years of urban commuting on them. What's the problem?
    In damp conditions they're slippy AF.

GP 4 seasons are what I get for the commuter. Much safer.

• pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,632
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Asked and answered Stevo ;)
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Ta for the tip. Presumably pretty puncture resistant then?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

My experience with GP4S in Edinburgh was good, and got fewer punctures than in Michelin Pro4 Endurances. Before being worn (about 2.5k miles), only punctures I got were one thorn on a hedge that was being trimmed ahead of me and one nail. Then again, sample of 1.

Michelin Power All Seasons were grippier, and probably more puncture resistant... but hated how they rolled.
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,912
    edited February 2023
    I think I only ever had one puncture on a (very worn) Conti GP 4 seasons in a few of years of commuting - they are a bit pricey though
  • rick_chasey
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Within reason yes.

Main drawback is they are expensive. My view is for an extra £30 per pair i'm less likely to end up crashing.
  • monkimark said:

I think I only ever had one puncture on a (very worn) Conti GP 4 seasons in a few of years of commuting - they are a bit pricey though

Most decent tyres are these days unless you keep your eyes peeled for sales!

I've not kept an eye on GP4Seasons because I still have a perfectly fine pair that don't get a lot of use outside spring and late autumn, decent for grip and fairy protection at cost of a bit of speed.

But generally, Sigma have been pretty good for GP5000s (approx £30-40 each) of late. Merlin used to be my goto for Conti tyres, but often their stock has been limited and the price of 28mm+ have been relatively obscene.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

When you ride above walking pace they slide all over the place. 😝
  • pangolin
    I still like rubino pros for commuting tyres. Only £13 each at the moment.

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/vittoria-rubino-pro-folding-clincher-tyre?curr=GBP&dest=1&prevDestCountryId=1
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,201
    pangolin said:

I still like rubino pros for commuting tyres. Only £13 each at the moment.

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/vittoria-rubino-pro-folding-clincher-tyre?curr=GBP&dest=1&prevDestCountryId=1

Eeek!

Hard wearing but 'orrible in my experience.

Vittoria Corsa 2.0 for me. Haven't looked back.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Stevo_666
    webboo said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

When you ride above walking pace they slide all over the place. 😝
    Speak for yourself old boy :smile:
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 8,066
    edited February 2023
    The US believes a suspected Chinese surveillance balloon that was shot down over its territory is part of a wider fleet that has spanned five continents.

"The United States was not the only target of this broader programme," Secretary of State Antony Blinken said.

He added that the US had shared information gathered from the balloon debris with dozens of other countries.

China has denied the balloon was being used for spying purposes, and says it was a weather device blown astray.

US officials have described the balloon as being about 200 ft (60m) tall, with the payload portion comparable in size to regional airliners and weighing hundreds - or potentially thousands - of pounds.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-64572324

I guess that weather ballon malarkey line was a good excuse, until it was shot down and recovered.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,201

The US believes a suspected Chinese surveillance balloon that was shot down over its territory is part of a wider fleet that has spanned five continents.

"The United States was not the only target of this broader programme," Secretary of State Antony Blinken said.

He added that the US had shared information gathered from the balloon debris with dozens of other countries.

China has denied the balloon was being used for spying purposes, and says it was a weather device blown astray.

US officials have described the balloon as being about 200 ft (60m) tall, with the payload portion comparable in size to regional airliners and weighing hundreds - or potentially thousands - of pounds.

I guess that weather ballon malarkey line was a good excuse, until it was shot down and recovered.
    Yes but what tyres do you use?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pinno said:

Yes but what tyres do you use?
    Oh, ummm. I will have a look...
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 8,066
    edited February 2023
    Vittoria Rubino Pro at the moment. I think it was price and the word kevlar which sold them to me, jackets/vests n stuff.

I've never had problems with grip, so whatever bargins there are. To be fair though I tend to walk more in the winter, which I love too.

I have a few bike, with various tyre makes.

I wonder? If the balloon was made of kevl...
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,172
    edited February 2023
    BBC R2 censorship. Not willing to read out the full title of Chef - Chocolate Salty *Balls*.
    Quite happy to play The Devine Comedy - National Express in it's entirety including the lines -
    "But it's hard to get by when your ar$e is the size
    Of a small country"
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,172
    Noticing that music really has to be listened to in context. The driver being listening to Fat Boy Slim - Praise You on a tinny radio while having a shower seems very bland compared to listening in a club at 02:00.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,402
    When does a walk become a hike? I never know which option to use on Strava. I can’t decide if I should use the distinction of a walk being having purpose and a hike being a walk for the sake of it or a hike being a walk where you carry kit.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    edited February 2023
    A walk becomes a hike when you start referring to your bike as a steed or your water bottle as a bidon.
    Unless you are from the other side of the pond, it’s walking. You can always add Fell, Mountain or Hill if its not sounding right.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 20,031
    Pross said:

When does a walk become a hike? I never know which option to use on Strava. I can’t decide if I should use the distinction of a walk being having purpose and a hike being a walk for the sake of it or a hike being a walk where you carry kit.

I call all things involving walking 'walks', and all big lumpy things 'hills', even if they might actually really be mountains (unless I've done some rocky climbing to get there). I'd rather understate. I might go as far as calling them 'long walks' and 'big hills' if I want to impress a bit.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,804

Why people having conversations on their mobiles walk along with the speakerphone on, but holding the phone horizntally in front of their mouth. Why not just hold it next to your ear, and not make the whole conversation public?

Stops the lizard people controlling you with their 5g brain waves.
  • briantrumpet
    How this could happen (and also how the people on the recording weren't screaming at each other when they twigged what was going on)

• pangolin

How this could happen (and also how the people on the recording weren't screaming at each other when they twigged what was going on)

- Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • briantrumpet
    pangolin said:

Argh. Fake news muppet. Sorry. As you were.
  • briantrumpet
    Ah, I see... the voices are the real thing, and this is a visualisation of what did actually happen.

• The US believes that the flying objects shot down over North American airspace on Friday and Saturday were balloons, according to Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer.

Washington has been on high alert since its military destroyed a suspected Chinese spy balloon earlier this month.

While he didn't say specifically that the two latest objects were Chinese, Mr Schumer told ABC on Sunday that Beijing was likely using a "crew of balloons" that had "probably been all over the world".

Three objects have been shot down over North America in the past week.

Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau confirmed that the latest object was shot down on Saturday over the Yukon in north-west Canada.

Both Canadian and US aircraft were scrambled to track the object, which Mr Trudeau said had "violated Canadian airspace". It was taken out by a US F-22 fighter jet.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-64614098