Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 8,066
    edited February 2023
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

That's how they have evolved, in an environment where there's not much to eat beyond grass.

Sure, but it make you wonder if humans really require the selection of food we are pushed towards. It's only been what, the last 500-1000 years or less since our diets have been so varied. There was a lot of evolving before that, some people are intolerant to certain foods. Also, lions, tigers, wolves, birds of prey...
    No we evolved in an environment with varied food sources. 500 years is nothing in evolutionary terms. We've only partial adaptations to digest milk and we've been herding livestock for 15,000 years.
    I just find it fascinating that all the nutrition a large healthy animal requires is in one food source. When I think about it, it's incredible that a computer mobile phone... just requires electricity.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,354
    edited February 2023
    We can't digest cellulose. So the answer is badly.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,400

Eat a variety of food and don't forget your five a day, make sure the fruit/veg cover the colour of the rainbow...

What interests me is how do Horses get away with just eating grass and hay?

Cows, sheep, goats, rabbits...Horses and Cows aren't exactly small either and look alright on a non varied diet. Look at race horses, bloody fit.
    They can manage on grass but most horses that do any form of work eat lots of other stuff. Horses that are ridden regularly will generally be fed a variety of oats, pony nuts, sugar beet, carrots, apples plus supplements such as garlic granules on top of their hay or haylage when indoors. They'll each less when out on rich grass in spring althou then they quite often get brought in to avoid eating too much of it. Dry summers and then through winter they'll struggle to get the nutrition they need. 'Wild' ponies tend to be a bit more hardy and survive on grass along with other vegetation.
  • What did Mr Ed eat?
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 20,027
    Incidentally, it's the becteria in cows' rumens that 'eat' the grass, cellulose and all, and the cows process what the bacteria 'excrete'. Reticulum, rumen, omasum and abomasum is the order of processing, IIRC.
  • rjsterry
    Think that's right.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,977

What did Mr Ed eat?

Hay, of course of course.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,201

rjsterry said:

That's how they have evolved, in an environment where there's not much to eat beyond grass.

Sure, but it make you wonder if humans really require the selection of food we are pushed towards. It's only been what, the last 500-1000 years or less since our diets have been so varied. There was a lot of evolving before that, some people are intolerant to certain foods. Also, lions, tigers, wolves, birds of prey...
    Well yes because our brains are so much bigger and we now live 2-3x as long as we did not so long ago.
    ..and a huge and oft forgot part of that is dental care.
    Teeth dictate the life span of a sheep. Pedigree tups get dental care!

Tutankhamun died of a tooth abscess. The Egyptians had very poor teeth because of the grit that ended up in the wheat in such dusty conditions.
    Quite a varied diet from fruit to fish but they didn't live long.

"The study of the anthropological evidence from several cemeteries as well as the census declarations from Roman Egypt defined the average life expectancy for males at 22.5-25 years and for females at 35-37 years."
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • I don't think some of you are taking my intrigue very seriously.

Disappointing!
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,977
    pinno said:

rjsterry said:

Well yes because our brains are so much bigger and we now live 2-3x as long as we did not so long ago.

Tutankhamun died of a tooth abscess. The Egyptians had very poor teeth because of the grit that ended up in the wheat in such dusty conditions.

"The study of the anthropological evidence from several cemeteries as well as the census declarations from Roman Egypt defined the average life expectancy for males at 22.5-25 years and for females at 35-37 years."
    What was median life expectancy?

Scratch that, we need a graph of some sort.
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,293
    Godzilla's egg washes up in Japan.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-64730255

Ok so probably not an egg..
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,169
    Buoy o buoy. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rjsterry

pinno said:

rjsterry said:

One of the weird things I read about the other day is that there aren't 'enough' Iron Age skeletons based on the estimated population. There were either a lot of cremations or some other funerary process but Iron Age cemeteries are extremely rare.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• pinno

I don't think some of you are taking my intrigue very seriously.

Disappointing!

I'm not speaking for anyone else but I don't take much seriously.

Sorry, what was the intrigue?
  • pinno

pinno said:

rjsterry said:

Will this do?:

• pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,632
    rjsterry said:

pinno said:

rjsterry said:

One of the weird things I read about the other day is that there aren't 'enough' Iron Age skeletons based on the estimated population. There were either a lot of cremations or some other funerary process but Iron Age cemeteries are extremely rare.
    Enough for what? What do people want to do with all of these skeletons? Sounds gross.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • pinno
    pangolin said:

rjsterry said:

pinno said:

rjsterry said:

Enough for what? What do people want to do with all of these skeletons? Sounds gross.
    Times are tough innit. Grind 'em up for fertilizer.
  • Air plants, otherwise known as Tillandsia, are native plants to the southern United States, Mexico, Central and South America, and have the ability to thrive in the warm temperatures, despite neglect. With over 650 types of Tillandsia, these unique looking plants survive without soil OR water.

Air plants use their specialized leaves to obtain from the air the water and nutrients they need to survive. The roots of the air plant are simply used for attaching themselves to rocks, trees, shrubs and the ground. Most air plants grow with long, triangle shaped leaves and boast attractive funnel or tube-shaped flowers, offering beautiful architectural elements.

And air plants, they intrigue me as well compared to the magnitude of requirements we supposedly require.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Why expensive bikes, especially TT bikes, have such ridiculously loud freewheels.

Surely loud freewheels are slower?
  • pblakeney

Why expensive bikes, especially TT bikes, have such ridiculously loud freewheels.

Not necessarily. It depends on the pawl design and the grease used.
    Thick grease will clog things up but be nice and quiet, purely as an example.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,980
    edited February 2023

So you look at the lovely bike.

I was passed by a pair of these when walking yesterday and thought the terrible racket was the solution to pedestrians not hearing bikes when they cross the road without looking. I always thought ut would be electric cars and natural selection that sorted that one.
  • rick_chasey
    pblakeney said:

Sure but they’re getting louder - pro ones too. So loud they get picked up by the cameras on descents.
  • pblakeney
    edited February 2023

pblakeney said:

Sure but they’re getting louder - pro ones too. So loud they get picked up by the cameras on descents.
    Maybe you are used to listening to Shimano hubs. Have some teams moved away from them? Loud hubs are not new, and not slower.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Maybe you are used to listening to Shimano hubs. Have some teams moved away from them? Loud hubs are not new, and not slower.
    Do people want them loud? Seems weird to me.
  • I don't get it. It just sounds like somethings wrong with the bike. As for the low resistance oil viscosity, there must be a certain amount of energy lost in generating that noise.
  • pinno
    Yes, surely.

As the pawl springs into the backward facing tooth recess, that must create some resistance.
    Perhaps the manufacturers figure that the only time the hub is going clackety clack is when you are free wheeling because when you are pedaling, it's silent. So it' pretty immaterial.

• pblakeney
    In response to KG and focuszing, wot pinno said.
    It is an irrelevance in wasted energy and saves me fitting a bell. 😉
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 20,027
    pinno said:

Yes, surely.

As the pawl springs into the backward facing tooth recess, that must create some resistance.
    Perhaps the manufacturers figure that the only time the hub is going clackety clack is when you are free wheeling because when you are pedaling, it's silent. So it' pretty immaterial.

First time I noticed it was on my first sportive, from a bloke who for a while I couldn't shake off. I wanted to shake him off not because of the clackety-clack, but because he kept on doing an unpleasant grating/snorting thing with his nose, and he was fatter than me.
  • rjsterry
    edited February 2023
    pblakeney said:

Just put some spokey-dokeys on and be done with it.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rick_chasey
    pblakeney said:

In response to KG and focuszing, wot pinno said.
    It is an irrelevance in wasted energy and saves me fitting a bell. 😉

Sure but Pros do it