Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,227
    Is that the Looney Tunes theme I hear....?
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 20,031
    orraloon said:

Is that the Looney Tunes theme I hear....?

He's just trying to get down wiv da Trump kidz.
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygB4EZ7ggig

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9NhOKy2K80

This intrigues me. The accounts of a couple of fighter pilots involved in a situation not knowing what they saw, compared to a retired fighter pilot (now airline pilot) just observing the footage released by the Department of Defence and making his own judgement.

The first two pilots accounts are compelling, which others involved in the Naval military exercise witnessed as well. The visual 8mm converted to digital footage leaves a lot to be desired though and doesn't show anything unusual as explained by the pilot not involved in the situation.

Intriguing, if nothing else.

Washington (CNN)Members of the House Intelligence Committee will receive a classified briefing on Wednesday morning on one of the most controversial topics circulating in Washington today: UFOs.

The briefing, which was confirmed to CNN by two sources familiar with the committee's plans, comes just weeks before the US intelligence community is scheduled to deliver an unclassified report on the matter for Congress. According to one committee source, Wednesday's briefing will be conducted by the Navy and FBI.

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/06/15/politics/ufo-report-briefing-pentagon-fighting/index.html
    I don't think this is anything to do with Chinese spy balloons...

more than 10 times in the past year.

It comes after the US on 4 February shot down a suspected spy balloon over its airspace - which China said was one of its weather balloons gone astray.

Relations between the two countries have since deteriorated. In recent days, the US has also shot down a number of other unidentified objects.

Questioned on Monday, Beijing said the US had made many airspace breaches.

"It's not uncommon as well for the US to illegally enter the airspace of other countries," said foreign ministry spokesman Wang Wenbin at a regular press briefing.

"Since last year alone, US balloons have illegally flown above China more than 10 times without any approval from Chinese authorities."
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-64621598

My noggin is well intrigued and equally confussed.

• Quite amusing. I guess understandable give the attention the Chinese balloons were getting.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,969
    edited February 2023
    I regularly see the advert people walking along at a snails pace, across vast areas of carpet, pushing that tiny brush head and I wonder how long it would take them to do the cleaning. If they did the entire carpet/house that way, they'd certainly get well into the '45 minutes run time'

The older I get, the better I was.

• morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-64676109

Odious prick. Married for 66 years and you choose to leave your wife nothing when you die.

If you didn’t like her, you should have divorced. If you did, why leave her with nothing in old age as a widow.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,402
    morstar said:

Odious censored . Married for 66 years and you choose to leave your wife nothing when you die.

If you didn’t like her, you should have divorced. If you did, why leave her with nothing in old age as a widow.

I'd hold more contempt for the inheriting sons. I'd like to think that if my father left me everything I would be making sure my mother got a share without going to Court.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,980
    4 sisters also cut out entirely. Basically, his legacy is gross sexism.
  • morstar
    Pross said:

morstar said:

Odious censored . Married for 66 years and you choose to leave your wife nothing when you die.

I'd hold more contempt for the inheriting sons. I'd like to think that if my father left me everything I would be making sure my mother got a share without going to Court.
    Agree completely. I have no idea if he expected the boys to do right by the whole family or not. Just a really odd thing to do.

I presume the fact it went to court, the confidence in the boys doing the right thing wasn’t there.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,770

This, judge should have given half to the wife and split the rest equally between the 6 kids.
  • briantrumpet

This, judge should have given half to the wife and split the rest equally between the 6 kids.

It would be interesting to know whether the wife has changed her will in light of this case. I would imagine she's got quite conflicted feelings, given how most mothers feel about their children, but how her sons have behaved.
  • morstar
    I’d assume the judges workings has been to respect the husbands wishes for his half of their shared estate.

The working assumption would be that the mother can leave her half to the 4 daughters.

Unfair but that is a legitimate choice on what is deemed his. I (a layman) assume the precedent here is that the whole estate isn’t his when his wife remains alive.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,171
    Pretty much sums up cultural scenarios where everything is about the males.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 6,049
    edited February 2023
    I'm probably more gobsmacked than intrigued, but I took the first dose of my new prescription (Mertazapine) yesterday evening, after having months of issues getting to sleep and sleeping straight through until daybreak...

Does what it says on the tin box, needing super strong coffees plus my lightbox turned to 11 to stay awake since ~0930! :o
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,201

I'm probably more gobsmacked than intrigued, but I took the first dose of my new prescription (Mertazapine) yesterday evening, after having months of issues getting to sleep and sleeping straight through until daybreak...

Does what it says on the tin box, needing super strong coffees plus my lightbox turned to 11 to stay awake since ~0930! :o

What make of light box have you got?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pinno said:

What make of light box have you got?

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07XGQLFD7 is the one I use these days, tiny thing that sits on my desk on a high tech shoe box to bring it a bit closer to my eyes. :D

I also have a monster thing from ~2005 from Outside In that was top of their range back then, but so impractical to set up, that was ~15x the price iirc! :o
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    Just about to leave your house for a bike ride, or coming back from a bike ride, and a neighbour sees you and asks: "How far have you ridden?", or "Where have you ridden to?"

Yet when they see you go to your car, or emerge from your car, they never ask a question about your journey.
  • de_sisti said:

Just about to leave your house for a bike ride, or coming back from a bike ride, and a neighbour sees you and asks: "How far have you ridden?", or "Where have you ridden to?"

Yet when they see you go to your car, or emerge from your car, they never ask a question about your journey.

Yeah. I always had this problem too and was sick of it. Eventually I'd had enough, so I bought a roof rack for my car and keep my bike on it. I always get asked now.
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    edited February 2023

de_sisti said:

Yeah. I always had this problem too and was sick of it. Eventually I'd had enough, so I bought a roof rack for my car and keep my bike on it. I always get asked now.
    I haven't got a roof rack, so I will leave and re-enter my house by the back door.
  • briantrumpet
    How to pronounce "skiiers".

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,201
    de_sisti said:

Say: 'I'll tell you how far I went and you can decide whether or not you want to talk to me'.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Pross
    de_sisti said:

Fairly standard reaction to someone who is doing something they don’t feel they could do. They can jump in a car and drive themselves but are in awe of someone who can ride a bike more than a few miles and feel it is worthy of discussion. Take it as a complement.
  • Pross said:

de_sisti said:

Fairly standard reaction to someone who is doing something they don’t feel they could do. They can jump in a car and drive themselves but are in awe of someone who can ride a bike more than a few miles and feel it is worthy of discussion. Take it as a complement.
    Reminds me of a taxi driver taking me home after a night out last year. Can't remember how the conversation got there but I ended up mentioning I'd done a 60 mile ride that morning and he exclaimed 'You what mate?! And you feel ok now?' whilst looking in the rear view like his passenger was revealed to be superman. I had to explain to him that in cycling terms it's entirely possible with training and my efforts were also rather low key, there are plenty of people doing much much more on a bike. Like you say though for some it is hard to grasp.
  • pblakeney
    Is it my memory or has lambing season begun earlier than usual this year?
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • briantrumpet
    pblakeney said:

It's probably just because with milder weather they're outdoors a bit earlier. Early lamb commands higher prices at slaughter, so farmers will always try to be on the front edge of the season.
  • Pross
    pblakeney said:

Depends if you are lowland or highland area. Quite normal to see lambs as early as January in low lying parts of Monmouthshire whereas up in the hills they’ll breed for lambs around April time. That said I haven’t seen any yet this year.
  • pblakeney
    Pross said:

pblakeney said:

Depends if you are lowland or highland area. Quite normal to see lambs as early as January in low lying parts of Monmouthshire whereas up in the hills they’ll breed for lambs around April time. That said I haven’t seen any yet this year.
    I guess that is the answer. We went to the coast instead of up the hills for a change of scenery.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • morstar
    pblakeney said:

Pross said:

pblakeney said:

I guess that is the answer. We went to the coast instead of up the hills for a change of scenery.
    Varies by region too.
    Back when I was in Nottingham, it was always February. Up in the grim north, it tends to be late March and April.
  • pblakeney
    morstar said:

pblakeney said:

Pross said:

pblakeney said:

Varies by region too.
    Back when I was in Nottingham, it was always February. Up in the grim north, it tends to be late March and April.
    Same area, just down dale instead of up hill. 😉
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • morstar
    pblakeney said:

morstar said:

pblakeney said:

Pross said:

pblakeney said:

Varies by region too.
    Same area, just down dale instead of up hill. 😉
    I got that. I was adding additional info. Even used the word ‘too’.

I’ll go away!