Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,201

Pross said:

monkimark said:

We did the same. If one of us (and realistically, it would have been my wife) had taken a complete career break for 6/7 years until both kids were in school then they wouldn't have been very employable when they tried to return. I see it happening now as some of the parents of my daughters classmates return to work.

We were lucky, my wife was able to work part time freelance for a couple of years before returning to the office and now does a mix of the two. That isn't going to be an option for a lot of parents either financially or because of the nature of their work.

I don't think it's something that's not discussed, I remember it being talked about quite a bit when we were at that stage - especially some older relatives who were very much of the opinions that women should stay home with the kids.
    it's also quite unhelpful to guilt people into feeling bad for going back to work when it may be a financial necessity.

pblakeney said:

I have unproven theories as to why, but I often wonder why there has not been any discourse in the public about the impact of putting so many kids in basically full time care (ie. 8am to 6pm) from the age of 1 upwards.

So many of my friends put their kid into nurseries for as long as they can as soon as they can.

We all have different contexts and factors that go into making your decisions - I'm not judging - but we came to the conclusion we'd forgo the additional income to give ours the benefit of being brought up primarily by one of us.

I'm of the view that that must have an impact on them, yet no-one seems to discuss it.

I've made my view clear in the past. One parent should stay at home until all the children are in full time education. I'm an old duffer with out of date opinions though.
    We made the decision that the EPO would work part time and the kids would have a couple of days of child care, seemed to work well for us. Wife enjoyed the time with the kids more as a result. Going from being a professional whatever to full time parent can be difficult for some.
    Maybe it's just my group of friends, but it is absolutely taboo.

My wife staying at home however, is very on-limits, but if you start to discuss it in the context of "we thought it was better for the child", it just gets shut down.
    Maybe you need different friends.
    If you want taboo, try raising the notion that you need to figure out if you can financially afford to have more children before having more children.

It is perfectly fine to have more children and then complain about the financial burden though. That's totally okay.
    become a strong advocate for bottle feeding

This could backfire as you would be putting yourself in the frame for nightime feeds
    [Slightly off track]
    I did the night time feeds when I was working. Loved them.
    Doesn't make sense but it was easier because Mrs P could get a full night's sleep when I was away all day.
    I would set the alarm for 2.30am, wake them up, change nappy and feed them. They would then sleep through till 7.30ish and my mind and body got used to waking up at 2.30am and used to going back to sleep.
    I could do work on auto pilot but looking after kids all day, you can't be on auto pilot.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,357
    edited February 2023

rjsterry said:

Jezyboy said:

Taboo? It's a regular, often a little hateful, right wing trope.

Why is it hateful? Or right wing, specifically?

Not saying I agree necessarily, but I do hear stories from SW circles that give some credence to the concept. Pretty difficult to find a hateful right wing social worker, in my experience.
    Thin end of the wedge to campaigning to sterilise the undeserving poor. It can FRO as an idea.
    Blimey. Long wedge, if that's the other end. At least you didn't mention eugenics.

I was thinking more if its fair to kids 1 to n to have had kids n+1 to n+m, when the number of rooms in your house is 《m. But I suppose procreation is probably a basic human right.

I think it's not completely unreasonable to shrug when people say how hard it is money wise after having kids. They aren't bogof are they.
    I’m pretty conservative with my own finances and I was quite shocked by **how** expensive things like childcare are.
    But worth it?
    Absolutely. Not sure the correlation between income and quality of parenting is a strong one. And circumstances change more easily than a lot of people think.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,201
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Jezyboy said:

Not saying I agree necessarily, but I do hear stories from SW circles that give some credence to the concept. Pretty difficult to find a hateful right wing social worker, in my experience.
    Thin end of the wedge to campaigning to sterilise the undeserving poor. It can FRO as an idea.
    Blimey. Long wedge, if that's the other end. At least you didn't mention eugenics.

I was thinking more if its fair to kids 1 to n to have had kids n+1 to n+m, when the number of rooms in your house is 《m. But I suppose procreation is probably a basic human right.

I think it's not completely unreasonable to shrug when people say how hard it is money wise after having kids. They aren't bogof are they.
    I’m pretty conservative with my own finances and I was quite shocked by **how** expensive things like childcare are.
    But worth it?
    Not sure the correlation between income and quality of parenting is a strong one. And circumstances change more easily than a lot of people think.
    I also think that 5 well loved, well cared for children born to parents who have become impoverished by them are far better off than spoilt Penelope who has a pony and gets dropped off to school in a Range Rover and will get palmed off to Roedean when she's in her early teens. This after her first 2-3 years in a nursery being brought up by strangers.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Are not children at certain levels of society seen as assets. I.E the spare etc.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,980
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Jezyboy said:

But worth it?
    Absolutely. Not sure the correlation between income and quality of parenting is a strong one. And circumstances change more easily than a lot of people think.
    I know few people who say otherwise. Best mate is one, mind you.

And your point about circumstances is well made.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    edited February 2023
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Jezyboy said:

But worth it?
    I figured before I had mine that me and the wife were pretty capable people who had our sh!t together so we’d be fine. Plenty of idiots do it fine so I thought I’d breeze it.

*Easily* the hardest thing I’ve ever done. Was not remotely prepared.

Also, in hindsight, I should have worried less about having the money and had mine sooner.

What a waste of time that wait was.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,766

rjsterry said:

Jezyboy said:

Didn't you come across a lot of people complaining about it prior to having kids?

Things like taking an infant on a plane is a bargain. Plus there's lots of free stuff for kids that I didn't know existed.

A neighbour pays £100 a week for holiday camp. I don't understand how that can be possible. Kid loves it.
  • rick_chasey

rjsterry said:

Jezyboy said:

Didn't you come across a lot of people complaining about it prior to having kids?

Things like taking an infant on a plane is a bargain. Plus there's lots of free stuff for kids that I didn't know existed.

A neighbour pays £100 a week for holiday camp. I don't understand how that can be possible. Kid loves it.
    First of my mates to have a kid so no.
  • TheBigBean

rjsterry said:

Jezyboy said:

First of my mates to have a kid so no.
    So you didn't hear anyone on TV, social media or at work talking about it?

It seems fairly simple to me. One person can look after three kids. They need somewhere to work, someone to manage admin, someone to cover when sick etc. Costs soon add up.
  • rick_chasey
    edited February 2023
    £12k-18k a year just seemed impossibly high given how much the average person earns.

Just mad to think if you have two kids in full time care you’re £50k down by the time they’re both over 3.

And that’s before lost earnings for mat leave etc.

That’s a deposit for a house.

And fwiw internationally that is indeed very high.
  • TheBigBean

Other countries have higher ratios (or presumably are subsidised).
  • rick_chasey

Sure. Tbh when I’m the parent why is irrelevant.

I’m sure there’s a reason Rolls Royce’s are the cost of a small northern house but that doesn’t mean I think it’s affordable.
  • TheBigBean

Sure. Tbh when I’m the parent why is irrelevant.

I’m sure there’s a reason Rolls Royce’s are the cost of a small northern house but that doesn’t mean I think it’s affordable.
    It's relevant to parents as would you rather one person looked after your kid and twos others or eleven others? If the former, then realistically it's going to cost a lot like anything else that involves a lot of labour.

Or to be put it another way, I wouldn't want cheap childcare unless it came about by subsidy.
  • rick_chasey
    edited February 2023
    It’s irrelevant if you can’t afford it.

It made the stay-at-home decision much easier. Do all that rushing around town and all the pick up and drop off stress for a net few hundred quid a month?

And then you don’t even see your child awake for most of the week.
  • TheBigBean

It’s irrelevant if you can’t afford it.

It made the stay-at-home decision much easier. Do all that rushing around town and all the pick up and drop off stress for a net few hundred quid a month?

And then you don’t even see your child awake for most of the week.

You can be happy with the decision you made without unnecessarily projecting your views of how it works for other people.

For example, drop off is not stressful. Pick up is only stressful if you need to rely on some form of transport to get there on time, and need to combine this with not leaving work too early. I've done both. Walking from work to pick up by 6.30pm was pretty stress free.

The kids tend to be awake at both drop off and pick up. As I travelled with mine, I got to see them a lot.

• rick_chasey
    The stress is when it coincides with work.
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Jezyboy said:

But worth it?

I'm sure we all know a few who seem to utterly resent their offspring and poverty is going to amplify anything like that.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Jezyboy said:

But worth it?
    I figured before I had mine that me and the wife were pretty capable people who had our sh!t together so we’d be fine. Plenty of idiots do it fine so I thought I’d breeze it.

*Easily* the hardest thing I’ve ever done. Was not remotely prepared.

Also, in hindsight, I should have worried less about having the money and had mine sooner.

What a waste of time that wait was.
    Lol. 😀
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,402
    I had mine when I was younger than most people do today (all done at 30) and whilst it was a financial struggle with the first in particular due to being early in my career I’m glad I did it that way. A lot of colleagues were having theirs in their late 30s and 40s.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    My brother has his very late which was the total opposite of me.

The kids want for nothing as he has his money saved up and everything already paid for.

But I really wouldn’t fancy have kids as young as his at his age. I have no appetite for mucking around on the park and at the fair nowadays but nobody needs me to.
  • First.Aspect
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Jezyboy said:

But worth it?

I'm sure we all know a few who seem to utterly resent their offspring and poverty is going to amplify anything like that.
    Bit strong. It's more he's disappointed in life I think. Sure he loves his kid but he started at 43, kind of got locked in to a marriage he probably wouldn't have had otherwise and just seems a bit worn down. Plus he loves outdoors and his son loves a computer screen. It is probably a bit thankless.
  • rick_chasey

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Jezyboy said:

But worth it?

Bit strong. It's more he's disappointed in life I think. Sure he loves his kid but he started at 43, kind of got locked in to a marriage he probably wouldn't have had otherwise and just seems a bit worn down. Plus he loves outdoors and his son loves a computer screen. It is probably a bit thankless.
    If you want thanks parenthood isn’t the one.
  • First.Aspect

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Jezyboy said:

But worth it?

I just think it is something you need a lot of energy for and he's into his mid 50s now. He's have enjoyed it a bit more if he'd started a decade earlier I suspect.
  • rick_chasey

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Jezyboy said:

But worth it?

I just think it is something you need a lot of energy for and he's into his mid 50s now. He's have enjoyed it a bit more if he'd started a decade earlier I suspect.
    For sure. When you have a newborn you realise why it was so easy to stay out late and function on no sleep in your 20s.

• rjsterry

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Jezyboy said:

But worth it?

Sorry, should have clarified: I was thinking of a couple of the other parents we bump into occasionally at the school gates.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,227
    I know a guy, friend of a friend, who split from his total PITA wife in his late 50s, took up with much younger lady, produced 2 children in his 60s, he's been retired now for quite a while. Last time I met him, 3 years or more ago, pre c-word era anyway, he was chatting about his life at the primary school gates while in his 70s.

He does not look 50 let alone 70. And obvs his internals are in good working order.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,227
    All this wittering on the news about Chinese 'spy' balloons. Really? Aren't there such inventions as satellites, with 'kin good cameras etc?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,173
    edited February 2023
    orraloon said:

All this wittering on the news about Chinese 'spy' balloons. Really? Aren't there such inventions as satellites, with 'kin good cameras etc?

Makes you you wonder how they'd cope with an H-6 if a balloon is too tricky to shoot down. 🤣
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • The US military has shot down the suspected Chinese spy balloon off the Carolina coast.

This comes as the airspace along the coast of North and South Carolina had been closed amid the national security operation.

US officials, speaking on condition of anonymity, told the Associated Press that President Joe Biden had given the green light for the operation to go ahead.
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/chinese-spy-balloon-montana-explosion-live-tracker-b2275770.html

Waiting till it got near the coast, then check what it's all about unless the juicy gubbins have be remotely mangled.

Interesting though, what it all about. The Yanks still use the U2 spy planes in whatever capacity.
  • It looked like an array of solar panels on the bottom of it.