Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 20,055
    morstar said:

That’s a great outcome.
    But I wouldn’t use the word ‘normal’.
    Not from any Woke perspective, it’s just not an accurate term. Normal is only ever one characteristic at a time and people are complex creatures.
    Don’t think some high percentage of people function in the same way and just you and a few other are different.
    Autism, dyslexia, literate, numerate, left brain, right brain and so on.

My son is ADHD, I can still recall a very specific day when I learned his brain reasons in a very different way to most people.

I sometimes tie myself in knots trying to find the best language to refer to learning/brain differences. 'Normal' or 'average' are no use at all, and I hate saying "Someone who *has* dyslexia..." (or whatever), as it makes it sound like a communicable disease. I suppose "Someone with dyslexia" is better, but it's still all a linguistic minefield.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    morstar said:

That’s a great outcome.
    But I wouldn’t use the word ‘normal’.
    Not from any Woke perspective, it’s just not an accurate term. Normal is only ever one characteristic at a time and people are complex creatures.
    Don’t think some high percentage of people function in the same way and just you and a few other are different.
    Autism, dyslexia, literate, numerate, left brain, right brain and so on.

My son is ADHD, I can still recall a very specific day when I learned his brain reasons in a very different way to most people.

Sure I just use it for want of a better term.
  • rick_chasey

Yeah bit of a superpower complex brewing methinks.

What's normal?

Am I normal, because I'm in the top iq percentile, but not dyslexic?

What about people who are abnormally good at music, such as mr trumpet?

Sure.

It is a recognised thing though. It’s specific, definable. People have physical conditions. People have neurological conditions.

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,996

What's normal?

Sure.

It is a recognised thing though. It’s specific, definable. People have physical conditions. People have neurological conditions.

I would err towards Brian's view that it's not a condition, it's just something about you. Condition infers a defect, which you would hope the world has moved past. I can't empathise with your experience during education, but I would be disappointed if someone 15 years younger than me still got treated the same way that my dyslexic peers were treated by the educational system.
  • rick_chasey
    edited August 2022

What's normal?

Sure.

I would err towards Brian's view that it's not a condition, it's just something about you. Condition infers a defect, which you would hope the world has moved past. I can't empathise with your experience during education, but I would be disappointed if someone 15 years younger than me still got treated the same way that my dyslexic peers were treated by the educational system.
    Yeah sure. That’s not the point I’m making though. It’s not just a grey area where someone had drawn a line in the sand and said “beyond here are dyslexics”. The brains are literally constructed differently. It had a physical manifestation.

I found out at uni so I had no additional help throughout my education.

It would have been really helpful to have known earlier as it would have explained a lot of things to me and adjustments on both sides, me and the teachers, could have been made.

• First.Aspect
    As brain function become better understood I think it will start to become clearer that we are all less similar to one another than we currently think.
  • rick_chasey

As brain function become better understood I think it will start to become clearer that we are all less similar to one another than we currently think.

Please accept it is a definable measurable thing and it’s not just a part of a spectrum that has a name.
  • First.Aspect

Please accept it is a definable measurable thing and it’s not just a part of a spectrum that has a name.
    Isn't that what I just said?
  • rick_chasey
    No
  • First.Aspect

No

You are focusing on one thing.

I bet I have an exceptionally thick prefrontal cortex, and an oddly low number of dopamine receptors.

Yours will be normal.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 8,066
    edited August 2022
    Rolls-Royce to EXPORT nuclear power to Netherlands while energy crisis bites at home

ROLLS-ROYCE SMR, which is pushing to roll out its revolutionary new nuclear reactors, has struck a deal with Dutch firm ULC-Energy to export its green technology to the Netherlands.
    https://www.express.co.uk/news/science/1660379/rolls-royce-smr-the-netherlands-ulc-energy-nuclear-power-kwasi-kwarteng

I used to be a bit concerned about nuclear power and the examples throughout history of a lack of due care and attention, which led to extra glowiness. With this Putin thing and all that though, what's the point of worrying about it when there is the threat of a third stupidness (I like the marketing, green technology).

SMR, and plenty of them.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Why BBC radio insists on pushing out presenters all the time to make the stations meet their age brief.

Why not let the stations age with the audience and kill off the older station when most of the presenters and listeners are dead. Then birth a new one aimed at the youngsters.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,182
    edited August 2022
    morstar said:

Why BBC radio insists on pushing out presenters all the time to make the stations meet their age brief.

Why not let the stations age with the audience and kill off the older station when most of the presenters and listeners are dead. Then birth a new one aimed at the youngsters.

Used to be that stations were pretty much age defined and that presenters moved stations as they aged. Listeners moved too. No oldies continue to listen to Radio 1 for example. I am now at the 6 or 2 spectrum dependant of what is on 6.
    They do seem to be having a clear out though.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • First.Aspect
    morstar said:

This is down to the murky workings of the BBC. A change in private (?) production company for the programme in question. That production company wanted to refresh the programme, because who knows why. Anyhow, the first action is to effectively dissolve the existing listenership - which was in fairness probably only a few hundred thousand people of similar age to the presenter.
  • First.Aspect

Rolls-Royce to EXPORT nuclear power to Netherlands while energy crisis bites at home

ROLLS-ROYCE SMR, which is pushing to roll out its revolutionary new nuclear reactors, has struck a deal with Dutch firm ULC-Energy to export its green technology to the Netherlands.
    https://www.express.co.uk/news/science/1660379/rolls-royce-smr-the-netherlands-ulc-energy-nuclear-power-kwasi-kwarteng

I used to be a bit concerned about nuclear power and the examples throughout history of a lack of due care and attention, which led to extra glowiness. With this Putin thing and all that though, what's the point of worrying about it when there is the threat of a third stupidness (I like the marketing, green technology).

SMR, and plenty of them.
    Not sure about these. Nuclear waste increases about 6 fold with these reactors. I've thought nuclear power was a viable way to tackle global warming for the last 20 years, but starting now when viable alternatives (at least for the UK) are so close seems like a retrograde step, particularly given the waste processing issues with the SMRs.
  • rick_chasey
    edited August 2022
    Some of you might find this interesting.

Guardian article on "Spat at, abused and run off the road: why do some people hate cyclists so much?"

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2022/aug/30/why-do-some-people-hate-cyclists-so-much
  • focuszing723
    edited August 2022

SMR, and plenty of them.
    Not sure about these. Nuclear waste increases about 6 fold with these reactors. I've thought nuclear power was a viable way to tackle global warming for the last 20 years, but starting now when viable alternatives (at least for the UK) are so close seems like a retrograde step, particularly given the waste processing issues with the SMRs.
    Yeah, I agree in some sense. It's just when winter comes around solar is next to useless and wind can be intermittent.

I think it would be great if the Government/whoever could start looking at building more hydroelectric power stations (batteries), but, I mean finding suitable locations is obviously one of the biggest issues? They've got to start making more use of guaranteed tidal power too.

I've mentioned it a few times on various threads.
    China plans to build as many as thirty nuclear power reactors in countries involved in the Belt and Road Initiative by 2030. On COP26 in 2021 China has announced plans to build 150 new civilian reactors until 2035.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_power_in_China#:~:text=China plans to build as,new civilian reactors until 2035.
    !! Blimey !!
  • focuszing723
    As she rips up the dead sunflowers from her parched fields, Isabel Villegas contemplates whether to try again.

"If it doesn't rain by the end of the year, it makes no sense to plant more," she says. "That would just be like throwing money at the land for no harvest. And there's no rain forecast for now."

A recent report by the Global Drought Observatory concluded that Europe is suffering its worst drought in 500 years.

Several countries across the continent have been battling wildfires and heatwaves, with Spain particularly badly hit. More than 270,000 hectares here have been burnt this year, according to the European Forest Fire Information System.

The extreme heat and lack of rainfall have led to a dramatic drop in levels of Spain's natural water reserves. The Vinuela reservoir near Malaga is at just over 10% of its capacity.

Elsewhere, medieval waterfront villages, long buried beneath rivers, have been exposed as the water evaporates,
    https://www.saudigazette.com.sa/article/624388/World/Europe/Garden-of-Europe-devastated-by-worst-ever-drought

Spain are escalating deescalating plants in response to the very dry summer they have had.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195

Guardian article on "Spat at, abused and run off the road: why do some people hate cyclists so much?"

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2022/aug/30/why-do-some-people-hate-cyclists-so-much

What a waste not to have a comments section
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,121

What a waste not to have a comments section
    That would make it quite interesting.

I think Jeremy Clarkson's friendly advice to cyclists on how to get along with other road users probably covered the main reasons:
    1. Don't be a d1ck to other road users if you don't want them to be a d1ck back to you.
    2. Traffic lights: learn the difference between red and green.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rick_chasey
    edited August 2022
    Sometimes I can tell you're not a roadie, Stevo.

Entire article is about car drivers being d!cks to cyclists unprovoked.
  • Stevo_666

Sometimes I can tell you're not a roadie, Stevo.

Entire article is about car drivers being d!cks to cyclists unprovoked.

At last, a complement :)

Sometimes you need to spot when people are posting tongue in cheek ;)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,205
    Back OT:

Puking and shitz (no giggles), 4 days off the bike, lost weight, shoot sleep last night interrupted by 4 loooong piddles (trying to re-hydrate) and then flew today. 35 miles. Zip zip zip.

Can't fathom.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,205
    ...although, I am fcuking knackered though.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Why someone drivers think the world is biased AGAINST cars.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/09/02/conservatives-should-stand-drivers/
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190

Why someone drivers think the world is biased AGAINST cars.

Great read. The poor thing is simultaneously living a congestion nightmare whilst having no public transport due to living in the sticks.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,182

That must be one of the most conflicted writings that I have ever read.
    Fortunately I found it funny so it wasn't a complete waste of time.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • If anyone can deduce that motorists are losing some sort of war, I can only assume that they are either wilfully blind to overwhelming evidence to the contrary, and/or stupid.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,227
    It's more #toryscum divide society and rule, current faction with their muppet paws on the levers of power BS.

Remember Shiny-Faced Dave the pig botherer and his 'we're all in this together'? Link with the actual words... https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/big-society-speech

So how soon do the riots begin? Businesses close due to impossible energy bills, people out of jobs, no money, downwards spiral and our only hope is Thick Lizzy. Happy days.
  • Stevo_666
    edited September 2022

Not the world, but some sections of it appear to be, for example parts of local government. Thankfully motorists have votes.