Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    pinno said:

Will never not be baffled by what decides if I feel good or bad on a bike. Doubly so when it seems to have little impact on performance.

Oh, I can feel lousy for the first 20 mins and was hesitant to go out and end up having a great ride. Or feeling far too tired and getting close to a PB.
    Other times anticipating a long ride and doing as much prep, eating and stretching as I can and the legs feel like lead.
    There's no rhyme or reason to it.
    The way I look at it is that even pros, not just cycling but any physical sport, can still have inexplicably bad days despite all the detailed research and adherance to diet and training plans. So if it happens to them it can happen to anyone, it just in theory should be a problem for them less often. With that in mind I try not to worry about it too much anymore.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,205
    edited August 2022
    I don't. It's just inexplicable.

Sometimes I feel rough and when I go for a ride, I feel 10 x better.
    I am (side effect of chemo) more susceptible to cholesterol. I would be on pills for it if I didn't cycle but I reckon the cycling burns the cholesterol and that's the reason I feel better. I dunno.
    If I couldn't cycle, I would have to completely change my diet. It is good but I love my Latte's and cake and croissant and custard doughnuts and...
    Nothing like a bowl of fresh chopped fruit and half a tub of double cream or vanilla ice cream.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    pinno said:

Will never not be baffled by what decides if I feel good or bad on a bike. Doubly so when it seems to have little impact on performance.

Oh, I can feel lousy for the first 20 mins and was hesitant to go out and end up having a great ride. Or feeling far too tired and getting close to a PB.
    Other times anticipating a long ride and doing as much prep, eating and stretching as I can and the legs feel like lead.
    No wonder you feel crap if you are stretching before riding. Most of recent research says stretching before exercise leads to poor performance. If you are going to stretch it needs to be ballistic stretching.
  • pinno
    webboo said:

pinno said:

No wonder you feel censored if you are stretching before riding. Most of recent research says stretching before exercise leads to poor performance. If you are going to stretch it needs to be ballistic stretching.
    [This is the wonder of the internet and the forums. You have to spell things out in black and white and spend a few days researching information and facts before posting. You need to employ an editor in case of ambiguity. You cannot casually post in a conversational manner].

I never said 'stretching... immediately before a ride'.
    In fact, I never do. The recovery for me starts with stretching after a ride, food, rest etc. The quicker I recover from a ride, the quicker I can get back on my bike. I know that sounds obvious but i'm not your average cyclist.

Soz for any offence and obvious frustration on my part.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,184
    That said, I do like the idea of ballistic stretching. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • mully79
    mully79 Posts: 904
    Pross said:

Why do I regularly type 'the' as 'teh' (there are a few other words where I have the same issue but use less frequently)? I assume it is something to do with the hand I use to type each letter as I do the 't' and 'h' with my right hand and 'e' with the left so possibly my left is operating quicker than I get the right to do a second keystroke.

Sounds like a great excuse to treat yourself to a mechanical keyboard.

You might find that if its a membrane keyboard it wont accept the "h" because you still have the "t" pressed.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 8,066
    I think I might try replying to BR forum threads via Alexa and see how I get on.
  • pinno

I think I might try replying to BR forum threads via Alexa and see how I get on.

Yes do it.
    Actually, is that at all possible?
  • focuszing723
    pinno said:

Yes do it.
    Actually, is that at all possible?
    I don't know how to do it directly, but i can just ask Alexa and see what she says.

That would be a great test for AI though, see if it can interact with a forum.
  • focuszing723
    edited August 2022

It's good to see Nasa has been given the go ahead (Monday) to launch the Artemis rocket to the Moon, it's been fifty years since they allegedly put a man on there, an incredible achievement.
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,619
    edited August 2022
    pblakeney said:

People who don’t understand how thermostats work intrigue me. Mostly as my wife is one. Heating is either set at 30C or 15C. Nothing in between. 🤔 No amount of explanation helps.

Story on the BBC about energy prices.
    It reminded me of this post.
    She said that as the weather gets colder DaisyChain nursery in Weston-super-Mare will warm the building before children arrive but then only put it on for 10 to 20 minutes every hour to keep it at an ambient 20 degrees, rather than the usual 21 or 22 degrees./i>

Maybe just turn the thermostat down to 20. How will they be able to survive only 20 degrees?
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,619
    edited August 2022
    pblakeney said:

People who don’t understand how thermostats work intrigue me. Mostly as my wife is one. Heating is either set at 30C or 15C. Nothing in between. 🤔 No amount of explanation helps.

A story on the BBC about the energy crisis made me think of this post^:

She said that as the weather gets colder DaisyChain nursery in Weston-super-Mare will warm the building before children arrive but then only put it on for 10 to 20 minutes every hour to keep it at an ambient 20 degrees, rather than the usual 21 or 22 degrees./i>

Maybe just turn the thermostat to 20.
  • pinno
    masjer said:

pblakeney said:

No good. Set it at 15 deg and give them Haribo.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,997
    pinno said:

masjer said:

pblakeney said:

No good. Set it at 15 deg and give them Haribo.
    Or just set it to 16 and encourage the staff to wear long sleeves. Ffs the children won't notice.

Hospitals are just as bad. You ever experience a normal ward temperature? They are set to the optimum temperature for Mrsa. Injury and surgery wasn't my issue, it was the following fortnight's heat stroke that nearly did me in.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    16?!
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 20,059

16?!

It wouldn't kill you.

Probably.
  • rick_chasey
    edited August 2022
    Yeah not me, 34 year old man (though it’d be bloody grim)

Nursery however.
  • pblakeney
    HSE recommend 16C as a minimum at work in an office so there is some kind of baseline. If it drops below that you still don't have carte blanche to go home.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 20,059

Nursery however.

Grim is being in a war zone like Ukraine.

Think of putting on some extra clothes as a bit of a wartime sacrifice.
  • rick_chasey

Nursery however.

Well if that’s the bar, most of us should stop posting entirely.
  • pblakeney

Nursery however.

Some of us are using our laptops to keep warm. 😉
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Yeah not me, 34 year old man (though it’d be bloody grim)

Nursery however.

As we are at war with Russia, Rick is already in a war zone
  • focuszing723
    Sitting down not doing much on my digital jack, 18c is comfortable.

Just how warm the cold water has been, which reminds me how damn cold it is during the winter. Chilled to the bone describes it perfectly, if your hands are in it for any length of time. Trying to then heat the winter cold water must take a fair amount of extra energy/gas.

I remember a Grand Designs where they pipped the incoming mains water supply below the lawn surface which then raises the temperature, it must make a fair difference.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,783
    edited August 2022

Nursery however.

Climate change seems pretty grim. A crisis where people are massively encouraged to insulate and use less power sounds like it might actually be helpful. I do acknowledge that it may not be easy for some though.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,417
    pblakeney said:

HSE recommend 16C as a minimum at work in an office so there is some kind of baseline. If it drops below that you still don't have carte blanche to go home.

About 15 years ago we found out the boiler in the office was leaking CO and had to turn it off for a couple of days until it could be fixed. I was working in an extension that was effectively a conservatory with a very high roof and the temperature when we started in the morning was 3 degrees. It did warm a touch with the electric heaters but we worked all day in coats, hats and gloves.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,417

Nursery however.

Do you think a bunch of two year olds charging around playing feel the cold more than you? The people complaining about the temperature in a nursery will be the staff.

Anyway, cap set at £3500 as latest predictions had been. Ouch!
  • rick_chasey

Nursery however.

As we are at war with Russia, Rick is already in a war zone
    Apart from troops being shot at, how would the situation be any different?
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,633

Nursery however.

Climate change seems pretty grim. A crisis where people are massively encouraged to insulate and use less power sounds like it might actually be helpful. I do acknowledge that it may not be easy for some though.
    This summer would have been the time to go hard on insulation surely. Instead we've been busy courting conservative party members and talking down solar.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • rick_chasey
    edited August 2022
    pangolin said:

Nursery however.

This summer would have been the time to go hard on insulation surely. Instead we've been busy courting conservative party members and talking down solar.

Austerity is a false economy.