Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,205

pinno said:

M² is used far more commonly used in Europe.
    When we rented a self catering flat in Lisbon, Catalunya and the Algarve, the size in m² was in the ad. .
    It's a yardstick (hee hee) that we aren't used to. If you said that a flat was 170m², I wouldn't have a clue as to how big it is.

More or less x10 - 3.3^2 is 10.9.
    You're an odd one FA. Can you visualise 170m²?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pinno said:

pinno said:

When we rented a self catering flat in Lisbon, Catalunya and the Algarve, the size in m² was in the ad. .
    It's a yardstick (hee hee) that we aren't used to. If you said that a flat was 170m², I wouldn't have a clue as to how big it is.

Can you visualise 1700 square feet?
  • pinno said:

pinno said:

Yes it's about 13m each side.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,372
    A small one bed flat will be around 45-50m2. A typical two-storey London terraced house is around 100m2; the main part of the house is normally around 5m x 8m, plus the rear wing.
    Minimum size for new-build bedrooms is 9m2 for a single and 12m2 for a double IIRC.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,182
    pinno said:

pinno said:

I can visualise 10m x 17m quite easily. 🤔
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rjsterry
    pinno said:

Quite big for a flat. Probably 3 or 4 bedrooms.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,619
    When you view a new build, the foundations often look like it'll be a Wendy house until the walls go up.
    Mind you, the size of UK new builds seem to be ever shrinking.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,412
    masjer said:

When you view a new build, the foundations often look like it'll be a Wendy house until the walls go up.
    Mind you, the size of UK new builds seem to be ever shrinking.

The average new build in the UK is something like 9m2 smaller than the UK overall average (presumably the overall average is also shrinking as a result on the new builds). That's probably the equivalent to losing a fairly average size kitchen.
  • pinno

pinno said:

pinno said:

No.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,227

pinno said:

pinno said:

That'll be 850 hobbits.
  • pinno said:

pinno said:

pinno said:

No.
    I think we are getting to the nub of the problem.

It is about the size of a tennis court.
  • pinno said:

Insurance is based on it, and the number of rooms.
    pinno said:

I think if you know the size of your own abode in m², and look in estate agents' windows, you develop a sense of how big places are, in the same way I ended up being able to estimate acreage of fields in my farming days. The human brain has evolved to conceptualise.
  • Pross
    edited September 2022
    For this sort of size SFP (standard football pitches) does prove a good measure. I assume an SFP to be 500m2 so 170m2 would be roughly the size of the pitch from the edge of the penalty box to the half way line over the full width or 1/3rd of the pitch.
  • Pross said:

For this sort of size SFP (standard football pitches) does prove a good measure. I assume an SFP to be 500m2 so 170m2 would be roughly the size of the pitch from the edge of the penalty box to the half way line over the full width or 1/3rd of the pitch.

No, it's only about 20% of the penalty area.
  • Pross said:

I always picture an acre as a football pitch
  • Pross

Pross said:

Yeah, I'm a factor or 10 out - how embarassing! Pitch is 5000m2 (roughly)
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773

Pross said:

I always picture an acre as a football pitch
    Same here
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,969
    Not trivial I know, but...

The Ukrainian forces found those graves in the wood which are evidence of war crimes. There are bodies which show signs of torture.

How come they have crosses with names on? It's seems an odd thing to do if you wanted to get rid of anything incriminating.

The older I get, the better I was.

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Was riding on an empty country road.

A single car comes the other way.

As it nears me it decides to veer across the road directly at me. I do some cyclocross to avoid.

Wtf was that all about?!
  • Pross

As it nears me it decides to veer across the road directly at me. I do some cyclocross to avoid.

Wtf was that all about?!

They know you?
  • pinno
    Pross said:

Wtf was that all about?!

They know you?
    Harsh but funny.
  • pblakeney
    European sizing. See the example below.
    EU-40, France/Spain (E?)-42, Italy-46. No wonder we have trouble with Castelli sizing. 🤣

Veronese68 wrote:
  • pinno
    Average M in Italy must be average S for us.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Only in length. Not in width.
  • pblakeney
    Oh, just for clarity, this is from one of my wife's tops hence the USA 10.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pinno
    orraloon said:

pinno said:

pinno said:

That'll be 850 hobbits.
    Finally, some clarity. Ta.
  • pinno

pinno said:

pinno said:

pinno said:

No.

When I gutted this house, I quickly started using mm and M when I used to almost always use inches. Measuring and ordering became perfectly natural and rarely got it wrong. However (a conversation I had with Rjsterry) there's a common split personality in that:

"Can I have 10 sheets of 8 by 4, 12.5mm plasterboard?" or... "6 lengths of 2.4m 3 by 2 cls?" etc and I heard many builders doing exactly the same.
  • rjsterry
    pinno said:

pinno said:

pinno said:

pinno said:

No.

When I gutted this house, I quickly started using mm and M when I used to almost always use inches. Measuring and ordering became perfectly natural and rarely got it wrong. However (a conversation I had with Rjsterry) there's a common split personality in that:

"Can I have 10 sheets of 8 by 4, 12.5mm plasterboard?" or... "6 lengths of 2.4m 3 by 2 cls?" etc and I heard many builders doing exactly the same.
    It's just occurred to me that this is very similar to bilingual people chatting and shifting between the two languages mid sentence.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,918
    I'm (just about) young enough that I've never really used imperial measurements but on site we still refer to timber as 3"x2" etc. I treat that like a name, actual measurements are always done in mm.

I worked on a major project which involved stitching into an existing building from the 50s so I had all the original drawings in feet and inches - how anyone can work with imperial measurements is beyond me.
  • pblakeney
    edited September 2022
    Steel section too. They may be given metric nominations but they are always odd sizes. Can you imagine the cost of retooling a foundry? That's my guess as to why anyway.
    Veronese68 wrote: