Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• Yeah not me, 34 year old man (though it’d be bloody grim)

Nursery however.

Grim is being in a war zone like Ukraine.

Think of putting on some extra clothes as a bit of a wartime sacrifice.
    As we are at war with Russia, Rick is already in a war zone
    Apart from troops being shot at, how would the situation be any different?
    Bombed out buildings, running from incoming missiles and trying to dig the neighbours out of their bombed out house...

Nope, then I guess we are not at war
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,205
    pblakeney said:

orraloon said:

Hey don't be knocking the 38 trousers 😊 People are different builds, I'm 6'4" 100kg and getting old...

Yeahbut, I'm only 5'10" and was 100 kgs.
    Cycling definitely gets easier/faster/more pleasurable as those extra kilos fall off.
    100kg's?! You fat b....
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    edited August 2022

Yeah not me, 34 year old man (though it’d be bloody grim)

Nursery however.

Bombed out buildings, running from incoming missiles and trying to dig the neighbours out of their bombed out house...

Your memory of Britain’s last actual war is pretty poor if you think it involved bomb out homes in Britain.

Come on SC, you’re being obtuse here.

Imagine Britain in WW1. Remove all the dead soldiers and servicemen and what was the British civilian experience?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,184
    pinno said:

pblakeney said:

orraloon said:

Hey don't be knocking the 38 trousers 😊 People are different builds, I'm 6'4" 100kg and getting old...

Cycling definitely gets easier/faster/more pleasurable as those extra kilos fall off.
    100kg's?! You fat b....
    I was tbf.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,184

has been biting at the hook again.

Can you guys not simply agree that while we are not at war we are involved in a war and wars are bloody expensive?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,619
    pinno said:

pblakeney said:

orraloon said:

100kg's?! You fat b....
    Easy tiger!
  • rick_chasey
    edited August 2022
    pblakeney said:

Can you guys not simply agree that while we are not at war we are involved in a war and wars are bloody expensive?
    Nah I respect SC enough to not let this specific obtuseness slide.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 8,066
    pblakeney said:

What if we were Invaded by an advanced civilisation not from Earth, kind of like "War Of The Worlds", but without the pod things and not Mars?
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,293
    pblakeney said:

orraloon said:

Lightweight 🙃
  • focuszing723
    I wonder if the majority of Christmas presents this year will be insulation related?
  • rick_chasey
    edited August 2022
    Anyway, back on topic, I listened to this podcast on Dyslexia (bumf for first 15 mins) and it explained a lot of the frustrations I have on here and why the forum is a good exercise for my brain as it doesn’t play to my strengths:

https://www.psychiatrypodcast.com/psychiatry-psychotherapy-podcast/episode-134-the-strengths-of-dyslexia

There’s a (cleaned up) write up of the podcast - goes through the strengths and weaknesses and other traits of the dyslexic mind.

Goes some way to explain my predilection for the prediction, amongst other things.

was an interesting bit about the physical make up of the dyslexic brain - it is literally made up differently with bigger spaces between the grey cell matter and it is organised to make literally bigger leaps between different parts of the brain.

In is in some ways the opposite organisation of an autistic brain which sees really close concentrations of cells in specific areas in big columns.

In some respects (not all) it can be imagined as the other end of the autistic spectrum.

It’s really moved on a lot from when I got the diagnoses at 19.

They’ve really understood it’s not really specific to decoding and encoding but that is a weakness in an entirely different brain organisation with its own way of understanding, thinking and analysing.

The theory that led to the that research is the idea that it is so prevalent (c.20% of pop) that there is an evolutionary reason for having it.
  • pinno
    masjer said:

pinno said:

pblakeney said:

orraloon said:

100kg's?! You fat b....
    Easy tiger!
    Blakey isn't a wokey, boomer, millennial snowflake.

We both have a better quality of life because of cycling for completely different reasons.
  • Yeah not me, 34 year old man (though it’d be bloody grim)

Nursery however.

Your memory of Britain’s last actual war is pretty poor if you think it involved bomb out homes in Britain.

Imagine Britain in WW1. Remove all the dead soldiers and servicemen and what was the British civilian experience?
    So the only difference was that one million British subjects did not die?

Other than the minor shelling and bombing the civilian population had to put up with conscription and probably having friends and relatives blown to pieces.

You are being disrespectful to Ukraine comparing our higher prices to what they are suffering
  • rick_chasey
    Are you just trolling now?
  • focuszing723
    Instead the there being a run on bog roll, there's going to be a run on electric blankets.
  • focuszing723
    edited August 2022

Anyway, back on topic, I listened to this podcast on Dyslexia (bumf for first 15 mins) and it explained a lot of the frustrations I have on here and why the forum is a good exercise for my brain as it doesn’t play to my strengths:

https://www.psychiatrypodcast.com/psychiatry-psychotherapy-podcast/episode-134-the-strengths-of-dyslexia

There’s a (cleaned up) write up of the podcast - goes through the strengths and weaknesses and other traits of the dyslexic mind.

Goes some way to explain my predilection for the prediction, amongst other things.

was an interesting bit about the physical make up of the dyslexic brain - it is literally made up differently with bigger spaces between the grey cell matter and it is organised to make literally bigger leaps between different parts of the brain.

In is in some ways the opposite organisation of an autistic brain which sees really close concentrations of cells in specific areas in big columns.

In some respects (not all) it can be imagined as the other end of the autistic spectrum.

They’ve really understood it’s not really specific to decoding and encoding but that is a weakness in an entirely different brain organisation with its own way of understanding, thinking and analysing.

The theory that led to the that research is the idea that it is so prevalent (c.20% of pop) that there is an evolutionary reason for having it.

I remember Sir Jackie Stewart talking about his dyslexia in a documentary/interview about him. It was really interesting, I think he only talked about it later on in life. I expect there are some youtube clips about.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,997
    Is this another way to say you leap to conclusions, RC?
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773

I remember Sir Jackie Stewart talking about his dyslexia in a documentary/interview about him. It was really interesting, I think he only talked about it later on in life. I expect there are some youtube clips about.
    I wonder at what age they diagnosed it. When he was at school it wouldn't have been a thing.
    Our daughter is dyslexic and it's surprising the things associated with it. I might seek out the podcast Rick mentioned.

• Are you just trolling now?

The bloke who is arguing we are at war with Russia is accusing me of trolling?
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,374
    edited August 2022

Yeah not me, 34 year old man (though it’d be bloody grim)

Nursery however.

So the only difference was that one million British subjects did not die?

Other than the minor shelling and bombing the civilian population had to put up with conscription and probably having friends and relatives blown to pieces.

You are being disrespectful to Ukraine comparing our higher prices to what they are suffering
    So where do you see the Korean War, Falklands, Gulf War, Iraq and Afghanistan, then? Russia have actually carried out attacks on the British mainland. No they have not launched air raids on the UK. Cutting off gas to Europe is more akin to a siege. Not sure why there is a need to categorise something as at/not at war when there are clearly degrees and different types of aggression which affect different parts of the participating nations. I mean Russia is managing to convince its population that its not at war - just asserting its rightful control of its territory.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rick_chasey

Are you just trolling now?

The bloke who is arguing we are at war with Russia is accusing me of trolling?
    Why not just buy their gas then. They have so much not being sold they’re burning it all off
  • rick_chasey
    edited August 2022

So that’s what a big chunk of the podcast examines.

Basically dyslexics have differ intuitions and analysis which to a normal brain comes across as “leaping to conclusions” because normies think in more step-by-step ways.

Here’s the bit from the above link.

It is important to highlight insight-based processing here versus analytical processing. Both are valid ways of processing. Insight-based processing is involved in matching patterns, seeing similarities and the sorting process rather than step-by-step where every link is connected to each other. It means being able to see the way to the answer, as opposed to listing steps. Leaping to the conclusion by insight and seeing how it works is very typical of the dyslexic population.

It goes on to describe the strengths of dynamic reasoning which is more comfortable in situations with incomplete information or higher uncertainty. I recon that’s why I get frustrated with the “but we don’t *know* that, you’re guessing” retort. I’m thinking “obviously we don’t *know* but you can get pretty close to the likely answer” etc

Strengths:
    The core mechanic behind dynamic reasoning is the ability to creatively predict how the world functions, how it has functioned in the past, or how it will function in the future. For example, being able to predict how earthquakes or erosion will affect geographical functions is a form of predictive dynamic reasoning. It involves the ability to construct events, or problems, that haven’t been personally experienced and map out what the probable outcomes of those events will be. Those with strong dynamic reasoning skills excel in environments that are constantly changing or ambiguous, which others often find confusing or difficult.

Anyway, the more important takeaway is people literally think differently, and their thought processes are different. Just because one doesn’t appreciate the reasoning, doesn’t mean it’s wrong or they’re thick.
  • pinno

Instead the there being a run on bog roll, there's going to be a run on electric blankets.

You could create the current by static bicycle + dynamo...
    Oh hang on.

Mind you, that would involve shift work.
    Maybe that would cure all the fatties trying to power up the their microwave ovens. In fact, at which point does the cost of living stop the fatties driving and have to start walking?

So many questions, so many permutations.
  • focuszing723
    pinno said:

You could create the current by static bicycle + dynamo...
    Oh hang on.

Mind you, that would involve shift work.
    Maybe that would cure all the fatties trying to power up the their microwave ovens. In fact, at which point does the cost of living stop the fatties driving and have to start walking?

So many questions, so many permutations.
    Ah, yeah, so true Pinno.
  • First.Aspect

So that’s what a big chunk of the podcast examines.

Basically dyslexics have differ intuitions and analysis which to a normal brain comes across as “leaping to conclusions” because normies think in more step-by-step ways.

Here’s the bit from the above link.

It is important to highlight insight-based processing here versus analytical processing. Both are valid ways of processing. Insight-based processing is involved in matching patterns, seeing similarities and the sorting process rather than step-by-step where every link is connected to each other. It means being able to see the way to the answer, as opposed to listing steps. Leaping to the conclusion by insight and seeing how it works is very typical of the dyslexic population.

It goes on to describe the strengths of dynamic reasoning which is more comfortable in situations with incomplete information or higher uncertainty. I recon that’s why I get frustrated with the “but we don’t *know* that, you’re guessing” retort. I’m thinking “obviously we don’t *know* but you can get pretty close to the likely answer” etc

Strengths:
    The core mechanic behind dynamic reasoning is the ability to creatively predict how the world functions, how it has functioned in the past, or how it will function in the future. For example, being able to predict how earthquakes or erosion will affect geographical functions is a form of predictive dynamic reasoning. It involves the ability to construct events, or problems, that haven’t been personally experienced and map out what the probable outcomes of those events will be. Those with strong dynamic reasoning skills excel in environments that are constantly changing or ambiguous, which others often find confusing or difficult.

Anyway, the more important takeaway is people literally think differently, and their thought processes are different. Just because one doesn’t appreciate the reasoning, doesn’t mean it’s wrong or they’re thick.
    You do realise that skipping steps isn't always good, right?

Takes all sorts. I am not dyslexic but compared to my colleagues both now and as a scientist, I am quite intuitive and unsystematic. It means I get to the answer much more rapidly than most, but I'm prone to missing things on the way there. In the grand scheme of things I'm extremely meticulous and systematic though, and if I was any less so it would hold me back in what I've chosen to do.
  • rick_chasey
    Don’t worry FA, I’m sure your way is always better
  • First.Aspect
    edited August 2022

Don’t worry FA, I’m sure your way is always better

There's not a correlation between dyslexia and likeability I guess.
  • rick_chasey
    edited August 2022
    It’s strengths and weaknesses. You need to be accurate and thorough in most things nowadays.

I can do all the detail blah blah, it just literally takes me longer and more effort.

Anyway the research has moved so far since I was diagnosed it’s really interesting to see it not as just a problem with encoding and decoding with symbols.

I can’t tell you how weird it is to hear people talk about their experiences with how they think and how people respond to that and it’s **exactly** like you.

All those times a teacher would tell me off for doing it x way and not y way (and the majority of my bosses).

I can’t tell you what a relief it is now I am in charge of my own work delivery without anyone telling me how to deliver it.

Everyone’s just focused on the outcome and it’s glorious. I do it my way (which is very much not a normal person’s way) everyone’s really happy with the results (so far).
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    edited August 2022
    That’s a great outcome.
    But I wouldn’t use the word ‘normal’.
    Not from any Woke perspective, it’s just not an accurate term. Normal is only ever one characteristic at a time and people are complex creatures.
    Don’t think some high percentage of people function in the same way and just you and a few other are different.
    Autism, dyslexia, literate, numerate, left brain, right brain and so on.

My son is ADHD, I can still recall a very specific day when I learned his brain reasons in a very different way to most people.
  • First.Aspect
    Yeah bit of a superpower complex brewing methinks.

What's normal?

Am I normal, because I'm in the top iq percentile, but not dyslexic?

What about people who are abnormally good at music, such as mr trumpet?