Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,184
    edited August 2022
    Pross said:

pblakeney said:

HSE recommend 16C as a minimum at work in an office so there is some kind of baseline. If it drops below that you still don't have carte blanche to go home.

About 15 years ago we found out the boiler in the office was leaking CO and had to turn it off for a couple of days until it could be fixed. I was working in an extension that was effectively a conservatory with a very high roof and the temperature when we started in the morning was 3 degrees. It did warm a touch with the electric heaters but we worked all day in coats, hats and gloves.
    Yup! Done similar. Plus being contract meant pulling a sickie wasn't an option either.
    Shop floor was fine as they were active but the office staff felt it.

(This is why I was aware of the rules)
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,205
    When I were a lad...
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pblakeney
    pinno said:

When I were a lad...

True.
    But it could be a recurring theme this winter.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 8,066

Madeira seems like a nice place to live, not too hot or cold. It's those persistent cloudy days in the winter which is a nightmare here.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,417

pangolin said:

Yeah not me, 34 year old man (though it’d be bloody grim)

Nursery however.

Grim is being in a war zone like Ukraine.

Think of putting on some extra clothes as a bit of a wartime sacrifice.
    Well if that’s the bar, most of us should stop posting entirely.
    Climate change seems pretty grim. A crisis where people are massively encouraged to insulate and use less power sounds like it might actually be helpful. I do acknowledge that it may not be easy for some though.
    This summer would have been the time to go hard on insulation surely. Instead we've been busy courting conservative party members and talking down solar.

Austerity is a false economy.
    It might well be but that investment in insulation was during the peak of austerity.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    edited August 2022
    So it wasn’t cut under the auspice of austerity? News to me.

Cutting is cutting.
  • focuszing723
    It's was a government scheme/incentive to help boost he economy after the financial crisis, akin to the car scrappage scheme. They weren't cut, just simply stopped.

It's also akin to VAT which was reduced to 15% from 17.5% and now is 20%.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,227
    Dunno is this counts as intriguing, annoying, (un)interesting but, it did have me contemplating things.

Yesterday en route back to the motherland I stopped off in Yorkshire at an outlet of one of those members only big box warehouse brands, top up on the 100% pure Colombian, stock the larder ahead of the end of days, etc. These places have an in house catering facility offering the expected burgers, pizzas, high cal foods. And they are always busy.

What intrigued me was the visual images of the customers: v high proportion of seriously overweight people ramming high cal fast foods down their gullets. Example which stuck in my memory was one balloon shaped bloke, prob 30s, body mass falling off the sides of his chair, head tilted back, ramming what looked like 1/2 a pizza down his throat. What's wrong with these people? Can't they see themselves? Can't they see the bodyforms surrounding them? And why do you go inside a big warehouse shed to 'enjoy' a meal? I enter and exit those places as quick as poss.

Future obesity consequences wave hits NHS. It's not my fault claim the fatties.

And I'm no lightweight. But I do want to retain at least some fitness. Plus I just had to add another notch into my everyday belt for to keep the trousers up.
  • focuszing723
    orraloon said:

Dunno is this counts as intriguing, annoying, (un)interesting but, it did have me contemplating things.

Yesterday en route back to the motherland I stopped off in Yorkshire at an outlet of one of those members only big box warehouse brands, top up on the 100% pure Colombian, stock the larder ahead of the end of days, etc. These places have an in house catering facility offering the expected burgers, pizzas, high cal foods. And they are always busy.

What intrigued me was the visual images of the customers: v high proportion of seriously overweight people ramming high cal fast foods down their gullets. Example which stuck in my memory was one balloon shaped bloke, prob 30s, body mass falling off the sides of his chair, head tilted back, ramming what looked like 1/2 a pizza down his throat. What's wrong with these people? Can't they see themselves? Can't they see the bodyforms surrounding them? And why do you go inside a big warehouse shed to 'enjoy' a meal? I enter and exit those places as quick as poss.

And I'm no lightweight. But I do want to retain at least some fitness. Plus I just had to add another notch into my everyday belt for to keep the trousers up.

A bit of body fat might be a good thing considering the way natural resource cost are going, but yeah. Comfort eating, and once people let it go too far, it must seem a mountain to climb to remove it.

I've put on about a stone I need to shift, weighing myself embarrasses me to do something and treating sugar as if it's poison (falls off then).
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190

orraloon said:

A bit of body fat might be a good thing considering the way natural resource cost are going, but yeah. Comfort eating, and once people let it go too far, it must seem a mountain to climb to remove it.

I've put on about a stone I need to shift, weighing myself embarrasses me to do something and treating sugar as if it's poison (falls off then).
    Having been one of those people who could not put on weight well into adulthood, finding myself in my 40’s and now beyond, having to manage my weight has been an eye opener.

Managing weight is not something to assume you will always do successfully however skinny you are. However, having taken decisive action a couple of months back I’ve got on a positive path with only very minor (sustainable) changes.

And most people wouldn’t have even called me fat.

I have a large close relation. All I hear is a plethora of reasons it’s not their fault whilst eating anything at all times of day and night.

Biggest learning for me has been that when you start eating less, you don’t want to eat as much. You have to break the cycle of filling yourself up.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    morstar said:

Biggest learning for me has been that when you start eating less, you don’t want to eat as much. You have to break the cycle of filling yourself up.

I think I need to learn this. Like yourself I'm not exactly fat, over 6' with a 32" waist. But a chap in the warehouse just told me I'm getting a bit of a belly. Given that he doesn't reach my shoulder and is round I thought it a bit rich.
    I was 78kg on the pallet scales at work for years, I now tend to sit at 82kg and struggle to get below 80kg again. I could take all my clothes off but that may cause some complaints.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Yeah it’s practice. Being hungry doesn’t feel so bad after a while. You know it won’t last forever.

And if you’re still peckish after eating, know that in 20 mins that feeling will subside.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 20,059

morstar said:

I think I need to learn this. Like yourself I'm not exactly fat, over 6' with a 32" waist. But a chap in the warehouse just told me I'm getting a bit of a belly. Given that he doesn't reach my shoulder and is round I thought it a bit rich.
    I was 78kg on the pallet scales at work for years, I now tend to sit at 82kg and struggle to get below 80kg again. I could take all my clothes off but that may cause some complaints.

Sounds similar to me... always have eaten like a horse, but just a little less riding over the past couple of years, and there's literally an extra kilo or two. I'd rather ride more and keep the metabolism burning everything off, but will need to watch portion size as I get older (I'm 58), I think. I've tried a really basic way, by using smaller plates, which seems to work to an extent. Obviously I'm easily fooled.
  • focuszing723
    morstar said:

orraloon said:

Having been one of those people who could not put on weight well into adulthood, finding myself in my 40’s and now beyond, having to manage my weight has been an eye opener.

Managing weight is not something to assume you will always do successfully however skinny you are. However, having taken decisive action a couple of months back I’ve got on a positive path with only very minor (sustainable) changes.

And most people wouldn’t have even called me fat.

I have a large close relation. All I hear is a plethora of reasons it’s not their fault whilst eating anything at all times of day and night.

Yes, I've definitely found that. Right, you've encourage me to get back on the rails.

SUGAR = POISON.

If people can subliminally add that to posts I'd be grateful. Actually, that would be an interesting experiment.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    Hmm, food for thought. And with no calories attached to it.
    I'll try for smaller plates as well, have to convince the trouble to hang off loading my trough up quite so much. Once the young people are both back at uni it should get easier. The lad has a tendency of cooking everything, then I hate to see things go to waste.

Not sure how to add subliminal messages for FZ723, but I'll have a go.
  • focuszing723
    What are you on about!?
  • focuszing723
    Chr1st, that's odd, I couldn't get the thought of a Mars bar out of my head and now all I'm thinking about is lettuce and quinoa.
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,293
    I was happy with Lettuce and quinoa. Now all I want is a Mars Bar :(
  • pblakeney
    morstar said:

This. Plus junk food is addictive. Stop eating it for a while and you don't feel the urge.
    I've been through a phase when I lost weight and got fit for a cycling holiday. The holiday itself improved matters even more. I really liked how I felt.
    When I got back I've had a few extra beers, some crisps and nuts, extra chocolate and biscuits. I enjoy it at the time but feel bad later. Then I get cravings......and the cycle continues.
    First step should be off the treadmill. Now, where's the chocolate digestives? 🤬
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • briantrumpet
    I do sometimes wonder how it actually feels to have a gut so big it flops all over the place and you can't see your feet (or anything else down there), and how people can put up with having to drag all that extra weight wherever they go.

That's not a facetious observation - I genuinely wonder what it must feel like, given that just an extra kilo or two (internal or external) feels like a heavy load, especially on the bike.
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,293

I do sometimes wonder how it actually feels to have a gut so big it flops all over the place and you can't see your feet (or anything else down there), and how people can put up with having to drag all that extra weight wherever they go.

That's not a facetious observation - I genuinely wonder what it must feel like, given that just an extra kilo or two (internal or external) feels like a heavy load, especially on the bike.

You don't notice. The belt gets a little tighter. Then you let it out a notch. Then you get a slightly larger pair of trousers. Then a bigger belt. Then a bigger....etc etc etc.

Picking up a bike after 30+ years 5 years ago pretty much means I may actually get to enjoy the rest of my life.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    JimD666 said:

You don't notice. The belt gets a little tighter. Then you let it out a notch. Then you get a slightly larger pair of trousers. Then a bigger belt. Then a bigger....etc etc etc.

I didn’t get anything like a long way down that road but I was undoubtedly on it (and knew it).
    But it takes a trigger to start the change.
    I have had a little plum for a number of years but was otherwise fit and healthy. I knew it had expanded beyond a little plum over winter but hadn’t really acknowledged it.
    We had a new wardrobe with a full length mirror quite recently and I caught myself side on one day.
    Ouch, was absolutely horrified.
  • pblakeney
    JimD666 said:

Picking up a bike after 30+ years 5 years ago pretty much means I may actually get to enjoy the rest of my life.
    I was about to post something similar. It is quite possible that realising the situation (the prospect of 38" trousers) and getting back on a bike saved my life.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,227
    Hey don't be knocking the 38 trousers 😊 People are different builds, I'm 6'4" 100kg and getting old. But I've always been heavy: even in my late 20s and marathon training I didn't get much below 88kg, which is why my knees are crackered cartilage wise. Think rugby #8 body type.

But. I don't just sit on my arris eating shite and getting fatboi status. Put me in an age group line up and I reckon, outside those triathlete nutters, I'd be well towards the looks pretty fit end of the spectrum.

The mental images from yesterday's warehouse visit are in the 'kin L band. Another from that mob of high cal food guzzlers is of one female standing (how she gets upright I dunno) in the intake queue with assorted rotund (I assume) offspring; doubt I've ever seen, including lots of USanian trips in many states, anyone quite so incredibly fat. The rolls / bands of bodyfat were impressive: think a fat lass puts on a Michelin Man costume then adds another layer of bands.

Am I judgemental? Yip. Guess so. Fat people queuing in a warehouse shed to buy and consume more high cal foods. Join the club.

(I think I must have been traumatised by the visions. Can I claim com-pen-say-shun?)
  • briantrumpet
    JimD666 said:

I'm full of admiration for people who can turn it around. I get a buzz anyway from riding a nice bike on lovely roads, but I imagine the pleasure of feeling the change from how you were must make it all the sweeter.
  • briantrumpet
    orraloon said:

Hey don't be knocking the 38 trousers 😊 People are different builds, I'm 6'4" 100kg and getting old. But I've always been heavy: even in my late 20s and marathon training I didn't get much below 88kg, which is why my knees are crackered cartilage wise. Think rugby #8 body type.

But. I don't just sit on my arris eating shite and getting fatboi status. Put me in an age group line up and I reckon, outside those triathlete nutters, I'd be well towards the looks pretty fit end of the spectrum.

The mental images from yesterday's warehouse visit are in the 'kin L band. Another from that mob of high cal food guzzlers is of one female standing (how she gets upright I dunno) in the intake queue with assorted rotund (I assume) offspring; doubt I've ever seen, including lots of USanian trips in many states, anyone quite so incredibly fat. The rolls / bands of bodyfat were impressive: think a fat lass puts on a Michelin Man costume then adds another layer of bands.

Am I judgemental? Yip. Guess so. Fat people queuing in a warehouse shed to buy and consume more high cal foods. Join the club.

(I think I must have been traumatised by the visions. Can I claim com-pen-say-shun?)

I used to see regularly on my ride into work a particular teenager at or waddling to the bus stop to go to school. Always food in hand and mouth. Always.
  • pinno

Chr1st, that's odd, I couldn't get the thought of a Mars bar out of my head and now all I'm thinking about is lettuce and quinoa.

Did you get my message?
  • pblakeney
    orraloon said:

Hey don't be knocking the 38 trousers 😊 People are different builds, I'm 6'4" 100kg and getting old...

Yeahbut, I'm only 5'10" and was 100 kgs.
    Cycling definitely gets easier/faster/more pleasurable as those extra kilos fall off.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pinno
    Me - lucky I guess. Never had a sweet tooth. Born in Kenya and we rarely had sweets, cakes, pastries, puddings. I lived miles from any shop that may sell sweets.
    I did 'balloon' with an un-diagnosed under active thyroid and was so out of shape and a shade over 70kg's, I had to get off my bike and I walked up a hill at one point. The shame.
    Most of the time, I struggle to maintain my weight - especially come the end of summer but this year, despite being on schedule for doing more miles than in 2009, I have gone form a spring weight of 62.5kg's to 64.5kg's. I'd like to think that's muscle and my belt hasn't deviated from the 2 notches it oscillates between.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I was getting a puncture repaired at the local tyre place. There was a lady with a Tesla getting new tyres fitted which they go through rather fast because of the torque apparently. However her tummy was so large it was nearly at knee level, I did wonder if her excess weight might be adding to the tyre wear.