Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• Stevo_666 said:

Why someone drivers think the world is biased AGAINST cars.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/09/02/conservatives-should-stand-drivers/

Not the word, but some sections of it appear to be, for example parts of local government. Thankfully motorists have votes.
    Open your eyes and look around you.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,121

Stevo_666 said:

Not the word, but some sections of it appear to be, for example parts of local government. Thankfully motorists have votes.
    I have, that's how I can see examples of what I'm talking talking about. You should try doing the same.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

I have, that's how I can see examples of what I'm talking talking about. You should try doing the same.
    Any small attempt to make things only 90% car centric is a war on drivers to some people.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Any small attempt to make things only 90% car centric is a war on drivers to some people.
    How are you measuring that?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    edited September 2022
    Should try cycling on the road to get places and not just driving to muddy hills, Stevo.

Gives you a better appreciation of how it all works.
  • Stevo_666

Should try cycling on the road to get places and not just driving to muddy hills, Stevo.

Gives you a better appreciation of how it all works.

I do. Commute to work by bike pretty regularly. How about you?
  • rick_chasey
    edited September 2022
    Lol you’re a commuter? Bahaha.

And you think there is a war against motorists?

Let me know who your dealer is.
  • Stevo_666
    edited September 2022

Yep, I confess I am a commuter. Also do road rides around the area where I now live as its there is some great riding to be had out here. So where do you rise to get places that informs you so well on this?
  • rick_chasey
    Stevo_666 said:

Yep, I confess I am a commuter. Also do road rides around the area where I now live as its there is some great riding to be had out here. So where do you rise to get places that informs you so well on this?
    I live in Cambridge so all my short journeys are done by bike, obviously.

Plus the road riding I do ✌🏻✌🏻
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Good for you, so you're an expert.

Yop tip for next time: if you're going to condescending, at least get your facts right ;)
  • rick_chasey
    So what about your cycle commute experience makes you think there is a “war” on the motorist?
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,227
    Can we start a war on wind-up merchants please.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,412

So what about your cycle commute experience makes you think there is a “war” on the motorist?

There’s all those bits of road that have been stolen from car drivers who pay road tax and given to evil cyclists who don’t and who kill pedestrians.
  • Stevo_666

Read my post above about how I see it. You seem to have imagined something here based on your predetermined view of how a nasty Tory should think, not what actually posted. Some things don't change, do they?
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 said:

Not the world, but some sections of it appear to be, for example parts of local government. Thankfully motorists have votes.
    Here go Rick, this is what I posted. Maybe try commenting on that rather than what you imagined I said ;)
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

PS: just been out for a nice spin around the country lanes near where I live. Plenty of climbing, great scenery and the biggest hazard is the occasional lump of horse shyte on the road :)
  • rick_chasey
    Aye we’ll turn you into a roadie soon enough.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,227
    HTF do people watch things on ITV? Doing a catch up via tv on Tour of Britain, iPad GCN app earlier was showing it live, I watched Vuelta coz bigger innit, not on Eurosport, and firestick GCN app wants money - f off. So ITV Hub app it is These bleepin' adverts! I can't cope with that volume of shite.

And. How come these adverts are always ethnically inclusive to the point of really? Am I not woke enough?
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,969
    We have one of those Alexa things, it sits on the cabinet under the telly.

I'm intrigued as to how there can be an advert for Alexa where it's mentioned by name, but the actual unit doesn't respond in anyway. BUT it will respond* to somethings that sound like 'Alexa', either on the TV or said in the room, eg. "My legs are hurting".

*lights up and wait for the command.

The older I get, the better I was.

• focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 8,066
    edited September 2022
    capt_slog said:

We have one of those Alexa things, it sits on the cabinet under the telly.

I'm intrigued as to how there can be an advert for Alexa where it's mentioned by name, but the actual unit doesn't respond in anyway. BUT it will respond* to somethings that sound like 'Alexa', either on the TV or said in the room, eg. "My legs are hurting".

*lights up and wait for the command.

Perhaps they say it in a certain way or put a sound in the advert somewhere so it's ignored, whether this happens with external advertising though (curry's tv ad's). It makes sense they'd do it because of all the complaints.

Yeah, interesting, should Google really.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 8,066
    edited September 2022
    Amazon said this is thanks to "acoustic fingerprinting", meaning that the Echo recognises this as an advert and not the command of whoever is in the room. Sure, it's easy to schedule Alexa to ignore something predictable, but Amazon's cloud service can also pick this out on the fly.
    https://www.pocket-lint.com/smart-home/news/amazon/143549-amazon-reveals-how-it-stops-alexa-responding-to-its-hotword-unintentionally#:~:text=Amazon said this is thanks,whoever is in the room.&text=Sure, it's easy to schedule,this out on the fly.

Too Intrigued not to find out.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,412
    An Alexa advert came on just now watching the ToB on my laptop at my desk with my Echo next to it. It flashed blue every time the word Alexa got mentioned but didn't try to do anything.
  • What happens if you ask Alexa to explain it?
  • Munsford0 said:

What happens if you ask Alexa to explain it?

Hmmmm, interesting...Hang on...
  • Meh, "Sorry, I don't know that".
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,373
    One for FZ.

Ghosts lurking in AI generated images (a long and somewhat disturbing thread).

1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry said:

One for FZ.

Ghosts lurking in AI generated images (a long and somewhat disturbing thread).

That sounds a bit spooky. I might avoid that, so I can sleep.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,373
    edited September 2022
    Yeah, it's not for the faint hearted but fascinating all the same. If I've understood correctly, the face that you see in that first tweet arises from a seemingly completely unrelated negative prompt - in other words the AI was given the prompt with an instruction to create an image as far 'away' from that text as possible. It was first asked to create an image of the opposite of the prompt word 'Brando'. The resulting image was then fed back in to create the opposite of the opposite. With a number of different negative prompts, a recognisably similar face appears. When that image is combined with another image to form a new prompt, the resulting images get pretty nightmarish.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • It was a pretty brutal thread, not gonna lie.
  • I was intrigued when in a conversation about spiders, and I couldn't get the exact word for what they spin webs with, the two other people said 'silk'... I knew that wasn't the word that I was thinking of, then I recalled the link with Durex, and that prompted 'gossamer', which was the specific word I was after. I've only over thought of silk as coming from silk worms.