Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,373

I was intrigued when in a conversation about spiders, and I couldn't get the exact word for what they spin webs with, the two other people said 'silk'... I knew that wasn't the word that I was thinking of, then I recalled the link with Durex, and that prompted 'gossamer', which was the specific word I was after. I've only over thought of silk as coming from silk worms.

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Differences-between-spider-silk-and-silkworm-silk_tbl3_263699688
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry said:

I was intrigued when in a conversation about spiders, and I couldn't get the exact word for what they spin webs with, the two other people said 'silk'... I knew that wasn't the word that I was thinking of, then I recalled the link with Durex, and that prompted 'gossamer', which was the specific word I was after. I've only over thought of silk as coming from silk worms.

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Differences-between-spider-silk-and-silkworm-silk_tbl3_263699688
    Gossamer is about 10 x thinner than silkworm silk.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Gossamer is about 10 x thinner than silkworm silk.
    Will we be tested on that in the next lesson, sir?

I genuinely think I'd never thought of gossamer as being silk, or registering it as being analogous.

• rjsterry
    😁 For some reason I'd never thought of spider silk as anything other than silk and hadn't made the connection between spiders and gossamer so new information for me. Intriguing that the two silks are so similar despite arachnids and insects being so distantly diverged in evolutionary terms - insects emerged about 480mya, while spiders, scorpions, ticks and mites diverged from other arthropods about 400mya.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 20,055
    edited September 2022
    rjsterry said:

😁 For some reason I'd never thought of spider silk as anything other than silk and hadn't made the connection between spiders and gossamer so new information for me. Intriguing that the two silks are so similar despite arachnids and insects being so distantly diverged in evolutionary terms - insects emerged about 480mya, while spiders, scorpions, ticks and mites diverged from other arthropods about 400mya.

It's a good morning for gossamer... ;)

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,227
    Listened to the latest Adam Buxton podcast (I'm one of his podcats) with Anil Seth a neurosciences professor on perceptions and consciousness, which may sound weird but is quite interesting. From that podcast there is a link to an online perception census being carried out, I've signed up for it and just done the first fundamentals section. Really interesting, looking at how one sees and hears things.

Link if anyone wants to investigate

https://perceptioncensus.dreamachine.world/
  • orraloon said:

Listened to the latest Adam Buxton podcast (I'm one of his podcats) with Anil Seth a neurosciences professor on perceptions and consciousness, which may sound weird but is quite interesting. From that podcast there is a link to an online perception census being carried out, I've signed up for it and just done the first fundamentals section. Really interesting, looking at how one sees and hears things.

Will this explain why so many stupid and ugly people look in the mirror and perceive good looks and immense wisdom?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,182
    orraloon said:

What do they find out about perception in someone who decides to ignore the census? 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    How fitness as it correlates to performance always goes in steps and not linearly.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,969
    pblakeney said:

orraloon said:

What do they find out about perception in someone who decides to ignore the census? 😉
    And is there a bias? How is it corrected for those who will say (for example), "I ain't got time to do that f****r, Eastenders is on" ?

The older I get, the better I was.

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,412
    I've been browsing houses for sale recently and saw a few bungalows that got me wondering how you determine how many bedrooms and reception rooms they have and also which rooms are which. I accept you could say the same for a multi-level house but in general it's a convention that the upstairs rooms are bedrooms and downstairs are 'reception' rooms (although there were some modern houses near where I lived growing up that were 'upside down' so that the living area got the benefit of the views).
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,806
    Pross said:

I've been browsing houses for sale recently and saw a few bungalows that got me wondering how you determine how many bedrooms and reception rooms they have and also which rooms are which. I accept you could say the same for a multi-level house but in general it's a convention that the upstairs rooms are bedrooms and downstairs are 'reception' rooms (although there were some modern houses near where I lived growing up that were 'upside down' so that the living area got the benefit of the views).

The bedrooms are the ones with beds in 😉
  • The bedrooms are what is left over when you take out the kitchen, living room and toilets.

The third bedroom is currently set up as a cupboard for the hoover, but can be used as a spacious internal child's single bedroom. Etc.
  • Pross
    mrb123 said:

Pross said:

What about if the property is vacant?
  • Pross said:

mrb123 said:

Pross said:

JF buys and sells houses by square metres and does not understand why we advertise property by how many bedrooms they have.
  • rjsterry

Pross said:

mrb123 said:

Pross said:

JF buys and sells houses by square metres and does not understand why we advertise property by how many bedrooms they have.
    We too advertise the GIFA. I would suggest both are relevant.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry said:

Pross said:

mrb123 said:

Pross said:

I refer to my comment above about small internal single bedrooms.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,783

Pross said:

mrb123 said:

Pross said:

I do too. Amazes me when people don't understand. (Typically they ask if my flat is big, so I give them a square metre answer which receives a blank stare - maybe I need to give it in terms of football pitches as that seems like another unit of measurment)
  • Pross said:

mrb123 said:

Pross said:

I do too. Amazes me when people don't understand. (Typically they ask if my flat is big, so I give them a square metre answer which receives a blank stare - maybe I need to give it in terms of football pitches as that seems like another unit of measurment)
    Depending on acreage, the Wales or the Greater London is also an an acceptable unit of measure.
  • And for volume, the Olympic sized pool.
  • Pross said:

mrb123 said:

Pross said:

Depending on acreage, the Wales or the Greater London is also an an acceptable unit of measure.
    I read a story that Suella Braverman's father had landgrabbers build seven properties on his 14,000 square m estate in Goa

some took the "m" to be miles which would would be bigger than the whole of Goa

Assuming it was metres then some houses are bigger than that and would be a small field. All seemed chosen to stoke envy.
  • rick_chasey
    edited September 2022

And for volume, the Olympic sized pool.

The Ukranian counter success in territory have seen compared to "Greater London" then "Cyprus" then most recently "half of Wales"
  • rjsterry

Pross said:

mrb123 said:

Pross said:

It's just unfamiliarity. Anyone who works with property regularly works in m2 or sqft.

Pinnacle Monzonite

The Ukranian counter success in territory have seen compared to "Greater London" then "Cyprus" then most recently "half of Wales"
    The Wembley is also a unit of measure. Had to be revised in the early 2000s, so that everything that used to be two Wembleys is now only about 1.5.
  • rick_chasey
    You can imagine the first two made sense but when I heard Wales I scrambled to the map to see how big that weird bulge on the west of England really is.

(I am joking before the sheep shaggers get all upset)

The Wembley is also a unit of measure. Had to be revised in the early 2000s, so that everything that used to be two Wembleys is now only about 1.5.
    how very nouveau!!! in old money Wembley = 100,000
  • Pross
    edited September 2022

Pross said:

mrb123 said:

Pross said:

I read a story that Suella Braverman's father had landgrabbers build seven properties on his 14,000 square m estate in Goa

some took the "m" to be miles which would would be bigger than the whole of Goa

Assuming it was metres then some houses are bigger than that and would be a small field. All seemed chosen to stoke envy.
    You would expect to get somewhere around 35-75 new houses on a patch of land that size based on UK density policies so yes, it isn't exactly huge. In fact, it is almost exactly 1 standard Wembley Stadium (based on roof area).

Edit - no sorry, it is the lesser know unit of The Removable Section Of Wembley Stadium Roof.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,121
    rjsterry said:

Pross said:

mrb123 said:

Pross said:

Agreed. Certainly both were relevant to me when buying our new place last year. I even worked out price per square foot of what I was selling and buying.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,205
    M² is used far more commonly used in Europe.
    When we rented a self catering flat in Lisbon, Catalunya and the Algarve, the size in m² was in the ad. .
    It's a yardstick (hee hee) that we aren't used to. If you said that a flat was 170m², I wouldn't have a clue as to how big it is.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pinno said:

M² is used far more commonly used in Europe.
    When we rented a self catering flat in Lisbon, Catalunya and the Algarve, the size in m² was in the ad. .
    It's a yardstick (hee hee) that we aren't used to. If you said that a flat was 170m², I wouldn't have a clue as to how big it is.

More or less x10 - 3.3^2 is 10.9.