Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    I have often wondered had the UCI decided there were no rules on bike shapes and designs, whether we would be seeing many more radical bikes around day-to-day.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,998

I have often wondered had the UCI decided there were no rules on bike shapes and designs, whether we would be seeing many more radical bikes around day-to-day.

Yes, basically.

Beam bikes, for one thing. And lots of fairings.

Imagine if they removed the min weight limit as well?
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,567
    I think the double triangle design is a price worth paying for not having to be exposed to too many recumbents though.
  • First.Aspect
    Jezyboy said:

I think the double triangle design is a price worth paying for not having to be exposed to too many recumbents though.

Would be easy enough to preclude that. Require the headset to be ahead of the bottom bracket, for example.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,186

pblakeney said:

The furthest forward part of a bike is the brake/shift lever, and these aren't aerodynamically optimised and watt saving.

Hard to aero optimise hands?
    Aero gloves, with golf ball surfaces and webbed fingers.

There are big marketing opportunities here.
    No doubt. Patent them now! 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,186
    edited August 2022
    rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

Half a century ago. Things have changed.

Technology has moved on, it should be easier. My phone has more computing power than NASA did back in the day. I'm sure they'll do it but I won't be impressed.
    I'm not sure computing power was the main hurdle the first time around.

True, but technology and knowledge has increased dramatically.
    I was impressed first time round, I won't be this time. They've landed on Mars FFS.

Get back to me when they've completed a launch station on the Moon.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,205
    pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

Half a century ago. Things have changed.

Technology has moved on, it should be easier. My phone has more computing power than NASA did back in the day. I'm sure they'll do it but I won't be impressed.
    They reckoned a Furby had more processing power than Apollo 11.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pinno
    Average speeds of the pro peloton is going up and up and the crashes are becoming more frequent and more dangerous. We really don't need the restrictions on bike shapes lifted. We really don't need them going any quicker.
    1st week of the GT's (especially the TdF) has become a lottery for the contenders. Serious pressure on teams with GT aspirations to stay near the front and out of potential trouble etc etc.

National tour series held in my home town - average lap speed 28mph, fastest lap 33 mph. Crazy.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 8,066
    The brakes could be the drops so you just angle the drop left or right to brake. I can also hear music at the same quality when it stops.

You're welcome.

I mean the buggy thing, that was just taking the p1$$.

• First.Aspect
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

The furthest forward part of a bike is the brake/shift lever, and these aren't aerodynamically optimised and watt saving.

No doubt. Patent them now! 😉

Too late. I just disclosed it.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,417
    edited August 2022

pblakeney said:

Not to mention all those cyclists in East Anglia and the Forest of Dean who would finally have gloves to fit them.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,417
    Why do I regularly type 'the' as 'teh' (there are a few other words where I have the same issue but use less frequently)? I assume it is something to do with the hand I use to type each letter as I do the 't' and 'h' with my right hand and 'e' with the left so possibly my left is operating quicker than I get the right to do a second keystroke.
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,623
    How did he get up and walk away from this?
    https://youtu.be/DzzGaOzO-po
  • pinno
    Unbelievable !
  • First.Aspect
    Indoor cycling shoes are now a thing. I am sure this was an April fools last year.
  • First.Aspect
    masjer said:

Looks like he was equipped with an impact energy dissipation system. Like MIPS only around his middle.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,806

Indoor cycling shoes are now a thing. I am sure this was an April fools last year.

Are they something like these?

• focuszing723
    edited August 2022
    Did you see the blokes coming out of the van seem to run towards the bits on the verge and off shot, captain lucky man is just left to his own devices.
  • First.Aspect
    mrb123 said:

Are they something like these?

No, those are just normal cycling shoes in Germany.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773

masjer said:

Looks like he was equipped with an impact energy dissipation system. Like MIPS only around his middle.
    His mass is what saved him from more serious injury, the van got flung quite far by the impact. The impact twisted the cab so much the door opened yet he stayed put relative to everything else. Had he been much lighter he would have been able to change direction and speed more easily and thus would have been flung further.
    I don't think I have a future as a crash test investigator as it's probably a load of ballcocks.
  • masjer
    edited August 2022

masjer said:

His mass is what saved him from more serious injury, the van got flung quite far by the impact. The impact twisted the cab so much the door opened yet he stayed put relative to everything else. Had he been much lighter he would have been able to change direction and speed more easily and thus would have been flung further.
    I don't think I have a future as a crash test investigator as it's probably a load of ballcocks.
    It could be an example of when not wearing a seatbelt saves someone's life.
  • First.Aspect
    No, it's coincidence.
  • rick_chasey
    Will never not be baffled by what decides if I feel good or bad on a bike. Doubly so when it seems to have little impact on performance.
  • masjer
    edited August 2022
    Except if he was wearing a seatbelt, he'd have been a goner.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190

masjer said:

I think he comes out the back of the van.
    Difficult to be certain but that definitely fits the tangent and timing.
  • pinno

Will never not be baffled by what decides if I feel good or bad on a bike. Doubly so when it seems to have little impact on performance.

Oh, I can feel lousy for the first 20 mins and was hesitant to go out and end up having a great ride. Or feeling far too tired and getting close to a PB.
    Other times anticipating a long ride and doing as much prep, eating and stretching as I can and the legs feel like lead.
    There's no rhyme or reason to it.
  • rick_chasey
    Yup. Proper mystery.
  • focuszing723
    edited August 2022
    Is it surprise though in the sense that what you're talking about is how you feel mentally/emotionally in your conscious state. That's separate to the physical energy you have and the condition of your muscles/cardio.

Mentally knackered after a days work, but the body is rested because you've been sat on your ar$e in this digital age.
  • pinno

Mentally knackered after a days work, but the body is rested because you've been sat on your ar$e in this digital age.

You're probably right although I don't have a digital @rse. 'cos I don't have a primarily sedentary job.

• focuszing723
    edited August 2022
    pinno said:

You're probably right although I don't have a digital @rse. 'cos I don't have a primarily sedentary job.

Ah, OK, I've got a digital @rse. It is interesting though, that's the only way I can rationalize it.