Tour *of* Yorkshire - **spoiler**

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,490
    I've never seen a break looking so keen to get caught and the bunch forcing them to stay just off the front.
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    Pross wrote:
    I've never seen a break looking so keen to get caught and the bunch forcing them to stay just off the front.

There was one in the Tour of Turkey recently that fizzled out to an even less exciting end than this. Obviously
  • ShutupJens
    Pierre Rolland with an absolutely textbook Energy Wasting Attack
  • ShutupJens
    My former coach & winter gym partner Pete Williams clips off the front
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens wrote:
    My former coach & winter gym partner Pete Williams clips off the front

Looking a bit daft still wearing longs, defo been spending far too long on Zwift of late
  • ShutupJens
    Here's the catch - 4km to go, rain coming down and we're all back together
  • ShutupJens
    This is where Millar and Boulting really come into their own, Millar picking riders out off the helicopter shot is in a league of his own

Stannard hitting the front, proper sprint this is
  • ShutupJens
    GB lads leading out McLay, got 3 riders with him, 1.7km
  • ShutupJens
    GvA well positioned +2, Eisel comes to the fore with Renshaw and Cavendish tucked in
  • ShutupJens
    Cav well placed, GB lead it out, Cav in the wheels but can't quite follow as Rick Zabel lights it up from 10 wheels back, No one even close

Roompot rider 2nd
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    Love a good messy freelancing sprint. All sorts of riders getting blocked and bumped out of position in the middle of an almighty free for all.

Essentially I like sprints that would be drawn in the Beano as a cloud of dust with various legs, fists, sausages on forks etc sticking out the side of it.
  • ShutupJens
    Love a good messy freelancing sprint. All sorts of riders getting blocked and bumped out of position in the middle of an almighty free for all.

Shook that no one else went down with that Canyon rider. Man slid for about 20m
  • ShutupJens
    Several young british riders in the top 10. It's no longer a surprise to see these lads getting up there and mixing it up - Chris Lawless in third is a good result
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,490
    Vital Concept rider went down quite hard but somehow no-one hit him. Very unusual for a single rider to crash in a sprint and not take anyone else out. At least Cav is getting to be in the race at the end again but seemed to have nothing in the way of speed. Hopefully it will come with fitness though.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    ShutupJens wrote:

Shook that no one else went down with that Canyon rider. Man slid for about 20m

Definitely lucky unlucky - could have had a lot of wheels slamming into him.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    Pross wrote:
    Vital Concept rider went down quite hard but somehow no-one hit him. Very unusual for a single rider to crash in a sprint and not take anyone else out. At least Cav is getting to be in the race at the end again but seemed to have nothing in the way of speed. Hopefully it will come with fitness though.

He looked quite good in Turkey when he finished behind Jakobsen and Sam Bennett, but ahead of eventual double stage winner, Caleb Ewan. However that was a very clean sprint.
    I've noticed a couple of times now that when it's a bit of a rough house, he seems very cautious and rather easily thrown off his stride.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • gregster04
    gregster04 Posts: 1,680
    Pross wrote:

He looked quite good in Turkey when he finished behind Jakobsen and Sam Bennett, but ahead of eventual double stage winner, Caleb Ewan. However that was a very clean sprint.
    I've noticed a couple of times now that when it's a bit of a rough house, he seems very cautious and rather easily thrown off his stride.

Just seen that Cav said he hesitated himself on Twitter. In terms of properly contesting sprints it’s still quite early for him. Renshaw sounded pretty disappointed last night though.

Today’s stage is going to be fun to watch on TV. Freezing cold wind on the coast today and hail on the way too. Proper classics weather.
  • peteco
    peteco Posts: 184
    It’s bloody windy here at Robin Hood’s Bay.

Pete
  • ShutupJens
    Bridlington looks pretty nippy. Riders in full longs, neck gaitors and the lot, flag due to drop any second
  • blazing_saddles
    Meh. All this wind and yet it's mostly a block headwind, then tailwind.
    Little or no crosswind.
  • ShutupJens
    Meh. All this wind and yet it's mostly a block headwind, then tailwind.
    Little or no crosswind.

Yeah it's not great, riders at the back practically soft tapping, riders at the front full on chewing bar tape. A long effort off the front doesn't appeal so much!

Heading towards some pretty ominous looking clouds
  • ShutupJens
    A boels dolmans rider getting an awful change there, no idea why the mechanic was turning the pedals round instead of just getting another bike off the roof.

Attacks starting to fly now
  • blazing_saddles
    I don't think they can manage 30kph with this wind.
    Going to be a long, long day.
  • ShutupJens
    I think you're right. I'm getting tired just watching. Glad to see them winding through some civilisation rather than just on wide open exposed roads
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    It must be grim out there. We have had snow/ sleet showers this morning 10 miles further in land. I dread to think what it will be like when they get on the Moors above Whitby.
  • ShutupJens
    Ooh and we've had some racing action, Alice Barnes kicked off the front hard and managed to get a gap, some light echelon action at the front of the bunch as they reacted
  • ShutupJens
    Webboo wrote:
    It must be grim out there. We have had snow/ sleet showers this morning 10 miles further in land. I dread to think what it will be like when they get on the Moors above Whitby.

The wind will make everything f*cking awful. David Millar must be licking his lips at this, he is absolutely in his element when there are small groups all over the road and the wind is a big factor
  • ShutupJens
    Aaaaand we're back together after the break. Brought back by Jess Roberts and Yorkshire's own Abby Mae Parkinson. Back to spread across the road, business at the front party at the back style racing
  • ShutupJens
    As I type that, the bunch heads through a right angle left hander and another Canyon rider attacks, has a look around and there's only one rider reacting
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,466
    They approaching hills so they shouldn't last long
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago