Tour *of* Yorkshire - **spoiler**

15678911»

Comments

• DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031

Wales or the south west maybe? The lakes could convert the Fred into a two day thing? Thou frankly the roads are a bit too grippy and narrow to push a peloton and convoy through.

I'd stick with somewhere more central just for spectators - large parts of Yorkshire are accessible for a lot of major cities - Derbyshire and the Staffordshire Moorlands would be great too they just don't have the tourism budget of Yorkshire. They are also big cycling areas, I never see as many road cyclists when I'm in most other areas of the country - maybe just because the Peak is a magnet for riders from Manchester, Sheffield and South Yorkshire, the Potteries, Derby and Nottm and beyond.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,232
    Just to add my bit, we set up in Skipton to watch the race fly through and the atmosphere was great with hundreds of people in the centre.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790
    Just to add my bit, we set up in Skipton to watch the race fly through and the atmosphere was great with hundreds of people in the centre.

Amy sense of event fatigue yet? Yorkshire crowds were great. Again.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    edited May 2019
    Judging by Sunday there still seems to be a lot of enthusiasm for the race, both from locals and those travelling from further afield. There was a bit of a festival atmosphere in Kettlewell, plenty of support on Park Rash and a good gathering at Greenhow.

I heard some dissent from car drivers as the signage for the road closure at Greenhow could have been better, but generally the county seems to be positive about the race and how it showcases Yorkshire. Being there with a cycling club from over the border the locals are never slow to tell you how their county is the best... Although admittedly they have great roads to ride on and the drivers seem to be more considerate of cyclists than you tend to find around Manchester.

47012698844_b3834dbda9_h.jpgIan Bibby, Park Rash

47749823702_c9c4d7f906_h.jpgConnor Swift, Park Rash

47749822972_ba79e06631_h.jpgEmil Vinjebo, Greenhow

46885661945_a82586bc2e_h.jpgJacob Tipper, Greenhow
  • mididoctors
    Nice post gibdog
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325
    Nice photos.

Finally caught up with the last two stages (I was dragged off camping, and can confirm the weather was no fun) - the final run in for the women's race looked absolutely brutal into that headwind, and the final day of the men's race properly kicked off too once the hills had put the damage in. Good fun.
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    this is a good race, very entertaining albeit small beer in the general scheme of things.
  • mididoctors
    Connor swift gets a contract with Arkes. About time. Frankly a little disappointing?