Tour *of* Yorkshire - **spoiler**

Comments

• specialgueststar
    specialgueststar Posts: 3,418
    Rolland looks light.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    That was an excellent last 25km. Monster ride from Dunbar.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Wow - good finish. GVA wins with Lawless on his wheel to take the overall.

Good bit of racing there, good to see Froome lining it out on the climb.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,894
    Tdy. Never been a duff edition in 5 years?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,790
    IainF would disagree
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,641
    Excellent stage today and very tactically astute by Ineos. Dunbar buried himself for Lawless there and his place on the podium was well deserved. Lawless also looks a bit more rounded than being just a sprinter, covered GvA's attack very well. Nice to see Froome appearing to enjoy racing on 'home' roads and being prepared to work hard for the youngsters even if he kept his training kit on throughout. It's a very well balanced race giving a wide range of riders a chance to win. Also, the number of riders from UK teams in the top 10 once again (admittedly in a weak field for the level of race) highlights the need for a Pro Continental team, there are too many riders that deserve better than a diet of crits and a handful of road races.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    IainF would disagree

Indeed.

I will grant this last stage was good. The last 30km would be a good introduction to how bike racing works for newbies.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • bobmcstuff
    Better than anything I've seen of Romandie!
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    Really enjoyed that race.. hearing from Tommy V yesterday was great too.. if he wanted any UK pundit gigs I'd be happy to have him on itv4.

Let's hope this race was a good warm up for the giro
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,338
    Just watched the highlights. Nice racing. Ineos following on from the Alps for getting wins for the domestiques/youngsters. Epic ride from Dunbar. Absolute monster.

Shame for Kamp to miss out, but a fairly pleasing podium really.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • mididoctors
    Lawless has GVA to thank for dragging Him off the front. Lawless jumping that wheel was instinctively awesome. Ineos is a bit too strong for the sports good? I like how it's not damping ambition elsewhere thou.

That was a monster surge by GVA. Almost Forgotten why he is rated so much. Dunbar was very very very impressive.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    IainF would disagree

Yeah well that's his opinion ;)
  • mididoctors
    The number of British riders coming through domestic or development teams is very healthy. The UK needs a tough one day classic. Ride London is not a terrible event that often has a rather unexpected crazy finish for such a profile buts it's not that inspiring a parcours more a cultural event for London.

Wales or the south west maybe? The lakes could convert the Fred into a two day thing? Thou frankly the roads are a bit too grippy and narrow to push a peloton and convoy through.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Ineos is a bit too strong for the sports good? I like how it's not damping ambition elsewhere thou.

Possibly, though only in stage racing, obviously.

TBH, the TdY was pretty light on WT teams, so you'd expect the best stage racing team of the era to be able to do something there. What I've liked with the smaller races they've let the kids have a go at is how they've raced really aggressively.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    The number of British riders coming through domestic or development teams is very healthy. The UK needs a tough one day classic. Ride London is not a terrible event that often has a rather unexpected crazy finish for such a profile buts it's not that inspiring a parcours more a cultural event for London.

Wales or the south west maybe? The lakes could convert the Fred into a two day thing? Thou frankly the roads are a bit too grippy and narrow to push a peloton and convoy through.

Wasn't there some talk of a Yorkshire Classic, or did I imagine that? While it might be nice to spread the races around a bit, it makes more sense to build where there's already a foundation. Let's face it, nobody complains that a small area of Belgium has too many races....
  • bobmcstuff
    Ineos is a bit too strong for the sports good? I like how it's not damping ambition elsewhere thou.

Possibly, though only in stage racing, obviously.

TBH, the TdY was pretty light on WT teams, so you'd expect the best stage racing team of the era to be able to do something there. What I've liked with the smaller races they've let the kids have a go at is how they've raced really aggressively.
    Yeah, they were the strongest stage racing team there, so what do you expect really. What other WT teams even were there apart from CCC? Certainly nobody WT apart from CCC and Ineos taking it seriously.
  • mididoctors

Wasn't there some talk of a Yorkshire Classic, or did I imagine that? While it might be nice to spread the races around a bit, it makes more sense to build where there's already a foundation. Let's face it, nobody complains that a small area of Belgium has too many races....
    Yorkshire becomes the UK version of Flanders or Brittany? I guess in a way it has.
  • rick_chasey

Would suggest the departure of Verity will put pay to that.

If it follows typical Yorkshire politicking every other part of welcome to Yorkshire will use something successful as a reason to take their money with the argument “they don’t need it anymore we need it much more” and they’ll kill it out of envy.
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    You could do an epic one dayer round exmoor, much more exciting than the welsh hills and different to Yorkshire.
  • Pross
    You could do an epic one dayer round exmoor, much more exciting than the welsh hills and different to Yorkshire.

That route on the ToB through South Devon that JTL won with a few extra miles would do the job too.
  • mididoctors

If it follows typical Yorkshire politicking every other part of welcome to Yorkshire will use something successful as a reason to take their money with the argument “they don’t need it anymore we need it much more” and they’ll kill it out of envy.

Yorkshire really does feel like a different country sometimes.
  • rick_chasey

I remember once Sheffield was up for some big international grant for something, I think the uni bit I can’t remeber, but it needed Doncaster and Rotherham to get in on it too, and they kiboshed it when they found out only Sheffield would get the money.
  • RichN95.

I have genuinely spent more nights in France than I have north of the M4. The North is utterly alien to me.
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    Pross wrote:

That route on the ToB through South Devon that JTL won with a few extra miles would do the job too.

That would work, or you could have a hill top finish on top of dunkery beacon. Fearsome.
  • fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,853
    What an amazing finale yesterday. The route into Leeds makes no sense at all as a logical route to follow but gives a great balance of fast and grippy sections. Made for a brilliant watch on TV, after being at Park Rash and East Chevin for the atmosphere.
  • bobmcstuff
    Was Prudhomme there?

Cos I'm pretty sure he's on my Manchester-Paris flight this morning.
  • bianchi_dave
    bianchi_dave Posts: 847
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Was Prudhomme there?

Cos I'm pretty sure he's on my Manchester-Paris flight this morning.

Yes, saw him on telly
    Scott Addict RC
    Scott Foil Premium
    Trek Emonda Disc
    Scott Solace 10
  • bobmcstuff
    He's with a load of people in Tour de Yorkshire jackets and is wearing a Y lapel pin so pretty sure is him.

Boarding with the plebs though :D
  • Pross
    RichN95 wrote:

I have genuinely spent more nights in France than I have north of the M4. The North is utterly alien to me.

I thought you came from Reading?
  • RichN95.
    Pross wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

I thought you came from Reading?
    About ten miles from Reading (actually nearer Newbury). And about four miles south of the M4