LEAVE the Conservative Party and save your country!

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,702
    edited September 2020
    Mate, the big big bucks are in the wealth taxes, I'm telling ya.

But yeah, VAT is horribly regressive, and if I was in charge I'd sink it very low indeed.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,622
    rjsterry said:

Lol, goes straight for the most regressive tax you can find on it.

Ha. Everyone thinks VAT isn't a big issue until they get some building work done.
    And then otherwise law abiding people suddenly start paying in cash.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,671
    pangolin said:

rjsterry said:

Ha. Everyone thinks VAT isn't a big issue until they get some building work done.
    Obviously it's a bigger number then than in the vast majority of purchases, but do you think it's the size or more that the ex VAT amount is spelled out in a way that you don't normally see?
    Both. All costs are quoted ex VAT and all the numbers are big.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    pangolin said:

rjsterry said:

Obviously it's a bigger number then than in the vast majority of purchases, but do you think it's the size or more that the ex VAT amount is spelled out in a way that you don't normally see?
    Yep.
    Same with people who get excited about their gross salary.
    Ignore the number that isn’t relevant if you are not in a position to influence the taxes applied.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,515

Mate, the big big bucks are in the wealth taxes, I'm telling ya.

But yeah, VAT is horribly regressive, and if I was in charge I'd sink it very low indeed.

No it isn't - put in the must punitive answers to all the wealth tax options in your calculator link and the total comes to £26bn plays £34bn on the VAT change.

Nor is VAT necessarily that regressive when you look at the exemptions. Try ticking all the boxes to remove what is currently exempt and look at the numbers.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]

• Reduce basic rate tax, reduce VAT, increase higher rate tax, wealth tax exluding main home kicking in at 2m. Reduce allowances on pensions, exemptions on inheritance tax.

I found the average decile income numbers to be interesting. 9th decile average household income is £54,000
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,254
    edited September 2020
    If the aim was not to get close to 100bn, I would have made the top decile less punitive, because it's not possible to get it.
  • rick_chasey

If the aim was not to get close to 100mil, I would have made the top decile less punitive, because it's not possible to get it.

Yeah it's almost impossible to get to 100bn without smashing the top decile.
  • If the aim was not to get close to 100mil, I would have made the top decile less punitive, because it's not possible to get it.

and history suggests that it will not work.

so you are left with growing the economy to pay for what you want or cutting your cloth accordingly.

or carry on as you are and hope that the money tree does not fail
  • rick_chasey

If the aim was not to get close to 100mil, I would have made the top decile less punitive, because it's not possible to get it.

so you are left with growing the economy to pay for what you want or cutting your cloth accordingly.

Ah you know my answer to this, SC.
  • If the aim was not to get close to 100mil, I would have made the top decile less punitive, because it's not possible to get it.

Ah you know my answer to this, SC.
    keep watering the tree
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,689
    Thing is, FatBo continues to pixx up the tree rather than the (nitrogen enriched) watering of the roots.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,622
    I only managed to raise £53bn
  • Stevo_666
    orraloon said:

Thing is, FatBo continues to pixx up the tree rather than the (nitrogen enriched) watering of the roots.

Let's hear your tax ideas then. I could do with some Friday evening entertainment
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Maybe the electorate isn't happy with what Johnson is doing with his 80-seat majority, and would prefer someone competent and vaguely honest. https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/sep/26/labour-takes-poll-lead-as-parties-see-major-switch-in-fortunes
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,928

Maybe the electorate isn't happy with what Johnson is doing with his 80-seat majority, and would prefer someone competent and vaguely honest. https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/sep/26/labour-takes-poll-lead-as-parties-see-major-switch-in-fortunes

Starmer is a lawyer. Not sure honesty is high on their credentials, more like they'll argue any case so long as they are paid to argue it.
  • rjsterry

Maybe the electorate isn't happy with what Johnson is doing with his 80-seat majority, and would prefer someone competent and vaguely honest. https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/sep/26/labour-takes-poll-lead-as-parties-see-major-switch-in-fortunes

Starmer is a lawyer. Not sure honesty is high on their credentials, more like they'll argue any case so long as they are paid to argue it.
    Wut? Have you had some sort of bad experience?

DPP is a bit more than just 'a' lawyer.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Maybe the electorate isn't happy with what Johnson is doing with his 80-seat majority, and would prefer someone competent and vaguely honest. https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/sep/26/labour-takes-poll-lead-as-parties-see-major-switch-in-fortunes

Say what you like about Cummings.

His campaigning messaging resonates
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rjsterry
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rick_chasey
    It’s not like Starmer has had to do much either.

Good job since he hasn’t
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,916
    edited September 2020

Good job since he hasn’t

Well, he doesn't have to. Just Don't Screw It Up. Let Johnson do that job. It's the only one he does well.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,776

Good job since he hasn’t

Well, he doesn't have to. Just Don't Screw It Up. Let Johnson do that job. It's the only one he does well.
    The same applied to Corbyn and he failed.
    Sounds simple but it's not nailed on.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey
    I do like theIr line on Brexit.

• pblakeney said:

Good job since he hasn’t

The same applied to Corbyn and he failed.
    Sounds simple but it's not nailed on.

Oh, being Corbyn was enough of a screw-up.

But I take your point - pretending you don't have a point of view (or not having one in the first place) isn't sufficient. There needs to be a vaguely consistent underpinning to core beliefs, an intellect sufficient to argue persuasively for them, and a skill in marshalling your team. Thatcher had all those qualities, even if you disagreed with her beliefs. Johnson has none of them, so it's no wonder that Starmer is gaining ground.
  • rick_chasey
    It is remarkable Johnson is still banging on about how hard up he is because his xth divorce and yth child is cleaning him out. On many levels.
  • rick_chasey
    edited September 2020
    Paul Dacre now apparently head of the BBC watchdog.

Christ

Edit: he’s been asked to.
  • Stevo_666

It is remarkable Johnson is still banging on about how hard up he is because his xth divorce and yth child is cleaning him out. On many levels.

What's the saying? - if you can't afford them, don't have them.
  • rick_chasey
    Stevo_666 said:

Spends a lot of time moaning that he’s taken a massive paycut to be PM and he can’t afford even a nanny
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,776

Stevo_666 said:

Spends a lot of time moaning that he’s taken a massive paycut to be PM and he can’t afford even a nanny
    That BJ doesn't have perspective on the average citizen is hardly news.
    Yet he still got a massive majority. I don't blame him, I blame the system that meant we had a choice of him or Corbyn.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.