LEAVE the Conservative Party and save your country!

Comments

• verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,957
    If Coopster is your life raft on this thread Stevo I think it is time to admit you've been beat.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,330
    edited August 2020
    In a yougov poll, asked the question "Do you think the UK government have handled the situation regarding pupils’ exam results well or badly?", 12% of conservative voters answered "Well". Some people are just devotees.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,723

If Coopster is your life raft on this thread Stevo I think it is time to admit you've been beat.

Beat? 80 seat majority.

;)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,789
    Blair had majorities over nearly 180 and then just under 170. Are you saying that those were therefore vastly better Governments than anything since?

I always thought a Government with a good working majority was better for getting things done than coalitions but I'm currently understanding the error of my ways.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 18,083
    Stevo_666 said:

Beat? 80 seat majority.

;)
    I'd argue that John Major's government was more effective when he had a majority of about five. But if you think that repeating yourself, now with pictures, is a convincing argument of an effective and competent government, carry on.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,859
    BoJo has to bin his Scottish holiday that was plastered all over the front page of the mail (for security reasons), only to be greeted with another mail front page which says “Don’t let children down again”

When even the mail is after you and you’re running the most daily mail friendly policies, maybe you’re just f@cking bad at it.
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288

BoJo has to bin his Scottish holiday that was plastered all over the front page of the mail (for security reasons), only to be greeted with another mail front page which says “Don’t let children down again”

When even the mail is after you and you’re running the most daily mail friendly policies, maybe you’re just f@cking bad at it.

Not disagreeing with you that Johnson has been appalling, but the Mail under Geordie Greig is very different politically to the paper that was edited by Paul Dacre.
  • rick_chasey
    Yeah less like Stevo haha
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,777
    Sure, but it's still a conservative tabloid.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,708

I always assumed that if Mail was after you, you were doing something right.
  • shortfall
    edited August 2020
    rjsterry said:

It's now a tabloid that is highly critical of the Government's policies on exiting the EU and doesn't automatically side with the Tories on every issue which I think is a step change. Still, it's worth checking in on daily to see the slebs in bikinis if nothing else.
  • rjsterry
    shortfall said:

rjsterry said:

It's now a tabloid that is highly critical of the Government's policies on exiting the EU and doesn't automatically side with the Tories on every issue which I think is a step change. Still, it's worth checking in on daily to see the slebs in bikinis if nothing else.
    But they are hardly publishing Op-Eds calling for Starmer to take over; just a more competent Tory. I think you could be a committed believer in Brexit and still be deeply disappointed in how the government is handling the whole thing.

I'll take your word on the slebs 😊
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• shortfall
    edited August 2020
    rjsterry said:

shortfall said:

rjsterry said:

I think you could be a committed believer in Brexit and still be deeply disappointed in how the government is handling the whole thing.

That's where I am with it.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Beat? 80 seat majority.

;)
    I'd argue that John Major's government was more effective when he had a majority of about five. But if you think that repeating yourself, now with pictures, is a convincing argument of an effective and competent government, carry on.
    Brian, I'm not arguing for anything, the above is just a reminder of the reality beyond the Cake Stop bubble.

VLL is claiming that I'm beat but he doesn't seem to know what the argument was about. As far as I can see a few of the great and the good of Cake Stop asked me to say a few positives about Boris which I did. They then asked me to say something negative and got increasingly hot under the collar when I declined to indulge them. Someone even called me a nutter :smile:

So can you point out again what point I'm trying to argue? Maybe quote an earlier post of mine.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • kingstongraham
    edited August 2020

(Article isn't paywalled for me at least)
  • rjsterry
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Beat? 80 seat majority.

;)
    Brian, I'm not arguing for anything, the above is just a reminder of the reality beyond the Cake Stop bubble.

VLL is claiming that I'm beat but he doesn't seem to know what the argument was about. As far as I can see a few of the great and the good of Cake Stop asked me to say a few positives about Boris which I did. They then asked me to say something negative and got increasingly hot under the collar when I declined to indulge them. Someone even called me a nutter :smile:

So can you point out again what point I'm trying to argue? Maybe quote an earlier post of mine.
    Sure. The rest of us have moved on from last year's election result and looking at what they are actually doing (or not doing) now. The fact that winning the election was even on the list shows how slim the pickings are. It's like going to your one year performance review and answering the question 'what have you done well?' with 'I got the job!' So we have:
    - agreed the WA.
    - Treasury responses to pandemic.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rick_chasey
    Bold interpretation of WA as a success
  • briantrumpet
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Beat? 80 seat majority.

;)

Sure. The rest of us have moved on from last year's election result and looking at what they are actually doing (or not doing) now. The fact that winning the election was even on the list shows how slim the pickings are. It's like going to your one year performance review and answering the question 'what have you done well?' with 'I got the job!' So we have:
    - agreed the WA.
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Beat? 80 seat majority.

;)

- agreed the WA.
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Beat? 80 seat majority.

;)

- agreed the WA.

Thanks RJS - that saved me typing much the same. If Stevo were ever unfortunate enough to end up in a care home, I'm starting to think he'd be mumbling "But Johnson has an 80 seat majority!" in response to any question, including what he'd like for pudding.
  • briantrumpet
    Another Telegraph writer on the incompetence of the Government (the one with the 80-seat majority), this time Bryony Gordon. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/life/house-arrest-going-france-did-come/
  • Stevo_666

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Beat? 80 seat majority.

;)

- agreed the WA.
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Beat? 80 seat majority.

;)

- agreed the WA.
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Beat? 80 seat majority.

;)

- agreed the WA.

Thanks RJS - that saved me typing much the same. If Stevo were ever unfortunate enough to end up in a care home, I'm starting to think he'd be mumbling "But Johnson has an 80 seat majority!" in response to any question, including what he'd like for pudding.
    None of that answers the question - because the answer is I wasn't. If I had you might have quoted a recent post on this thread. I was simply responding (or not) to the attempted centre leftie inquisition.

Some of you lot are imagining an argument so you can try to claim a win. It may be the only way...
  • kingstongraham
    Not trying to have or win an argument, just wondering what you think.

• kingstongraham
    Both "the government continues to be without fault and has not put a step wrong in their handling of (x)" and "the government has seriously messed up in the handling of (x) but is still the best option because of (y)" are views to take.

"The government is the best because we won" is less valid, in my view.
  • Stevo_666

Both "the government continues to be without fault and has not put a step wrong in their handling of (x)" and "the government has seriously messed up in the handling of (x) but is still the best option because of (y)" are views to take.

"The government is the best because we won" is less valid, in my view.

The last part is just an attempt to put words into my mouth. The first two are things you have said, not me.

As I said above, quote me where I have made the alleged arguments in the relevant part i.e. last couple of days) of this thread, or stop making things up.
  • Stevo_666

Not trying to have or win an argument, just wondering what you think.

I think about lots of things. But I'm not minded to just tell people what they want to hear. Not really a debate is it.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,338
    Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Beat? 80 seat majority.

;)

- agreed the WA.
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Beat? 80 seat majority.

;)

- agreed the WA.
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Beat? 80 seat majority.

;)

- agreed the WA.

Some of you lot are imagining an argument so you can try to claim a win. It may be the only way...
    HAH
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Stevo_666
    pangolin said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Beat? 80 seat majority.

;)

- agreed the WA.
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Beat? 80 seat majority.

;)

- agreed the WA.
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Beat? 80 seat majority.

;)

- agreed the WA.

HAH
    Same point to you - quote a recent post on here to show what I'm allegedly arguing about. Or get back under your bridge ;)
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,204
    Listen, the main thing is Johnson's had a good break and has managed to get a shot out of himself with his child strapped to his chest.

Now he can get back to his eighty seat majority.
  • Stevo_666

Bold interpretation of WA as a success

Please quote the relevant post for me, as I can't remember it.
  • rick_chasey
    Stevo_666 said:

orraloon said:

orraloon said:

Come on then Tory boy, set out precisely the plus points for the dUK having Wank4rBo as PM.

Still waiting...
    Oh OK then.
    - Won an 80 seat majority
    - Handed Labour their worst election defeat in decades
    - Put the Lib Dems and Wee Jimmy Krankie back in their boxes
    - Took a suitably firm line with the EU and delivered the WA
    - Took sensible measure to support the economy in the pandemic e.g. the CJRS and EOTHO.
    - Pi $$ed you off no end ;)

How's that for starters?
    This?
  • rick_chasey
    I, for one, am glad that since taking over Johnson hasn’t felt the Uk is in a bad enough crisis to get stuck in himself.