LEAVE the Conservative Party and save your country!

Comments

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,270
    Does anyone really pay attention to A level grades once it's more than a couple of years later?
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,642

Does anyone really pay attention to A level grades once it's more than a couple of years later?

First employers as per other thread.
  • kingstongraham
    edited August 2020
    Other thread
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190

No pressure, you've got an A, but you're doing the exam anyway, and if you don't get at least a B we're investigating your teacher.

If the student thinks an A is correct, and your teacher thinks you would have got an A, getting a B will be easy. Or you and the teacher get found out for scamming the system. Will quickly bring integrity back into the system which right now is seriously lacking.

The worst case is the student resits the year and get the grade they deserved, rather than having the grading undermined for this year.

But hey, I believe in the achievement and having to work for it. The opposite to you who would give all students A* because the little darlings have had a 'tough' few months sitting around doing nothing.
    Best way to for a student to spend their first month at university would be preparing for an A-level. And if they don't do well in the A-level, they have to leave university and go back to school. Can't see any issues that causes anyone regarding the university place, fees, accommodation, school, or what they were supposed to be studying at university if they actually get the grade. Nice one.

But actually, you are underestimating things. This should apply to every student, as the algorithm could have been wrong even when it agreed with the teacher.
    Why would they not be preparing now? Exam in 2-3 weeks ahead of Uni starting.

Does not need to be everyone, just the ones that feel their grade is wrong. Will identify those teachers and students who have been trying to blag it! We both know this would sort the wheat from the chaff before the day of the exams.
    So you’re still just punishing the students who were on the wrong end of a piss poor algorithm whilst those in public schools who saw grade inflation from the same algorithm have a gold plated grade they don’t have to justify.
    I’m not trying to attack public schooling. But they benefitted from a policy fuck up while the less fortunate were penalised.
  • morstar said:

No pressure, you've got an A, but you're doing the exam anyway, and if you don't get at least a B we're investigating your teacher.

If the student thinks an A is correct, and your teacher thinks you would have got an A, getting a B will be easy. Or you and the teacher get found out for scamming the system. Will quickly bring integrity back into the system which right now is seriously lacking.

The worst case is the student resits the year and get the grade they deserved, rather than having the grading undermined for this year.

But hey, I believe in the achievement and having to work for it. The opposite to you who would give all students A* because the little darlings have had a 'tough' few months sitting around doing nothing.
    Best way to for a student to spend their first month at university would be preparing for an A-level. And if they don't do well in the A-level, they have to leave university and go back to school. Can't see any issues that causes anyone regarding the university place, fees, accommodation, school, or what they were supposed to be studying at university if they actually get the grade. Nice one.

But actually, you are underestimating things. This should apply to every student, as the algorithm could have been wrong even when it agreed with the teacher.

Does not need to be everyone, just the ones that feel their grade is wrong. Will identify those teachers and students who have been trying to blag it! We both know this would sort the wheat from the chaff before the day of the exams.
    So you’re still just punishing the students who were on the wrong end of a piss poor algorithm whilst those in public schools who saw grade inflation from the same algorithm have a gold plated grade they don’t have to justify.
    I’m not trying to attack public schooling. But they benefitted from a policy censored up while the less fortunate were penalised.
    I'm sure there are some wrong outputs from the algorithm. It is not punishing a student if their grade is earned and the integrity of the system is maintained. I suspect the squealing would move onto the 'prove it or lose it' approach as they would know they were about to be found out. As well as the teachers. It is why the approach is the best way to catch out the blaggers and restore integrity to the examination system.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    rjsterry said:

I feel Coopster doesn't really know what uni is like...

He's said as much himself.
    TBF he was able to offer me some really deep technical advice about network management :*
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190

morstar said:

I’m not trying to attack public schooling. But they benefitted from a policy censored up while the less fortunate were penalised.
    I'm sure there are some wrong outputs from the algorithm. It is not punishing a student if their grade is earned and the integrity of the system is maintained. I suspect the squealing would move onto the 'prove it or lose it' approach as they would know they were about to be found out. As well as the teachers. It is why the approach is the best way to catch out the blaggers and restore integrity to the examination system.
    So you’re sticking to the presumption the algorithm was actually correct and the students affected should prove it was in fact wrong.
    There are enough stats to show the algorithm was piss poor. The onus is not on the students to prove their teachers didn’t inflate their grades because somebody signed off a half arsed attempt at data modelling.
  • rjsterry said:

TBF he was able to offer me some really deep technical advice about network management :*
    What you learn when working in the real world is how to target advice at the correct level. What I wrote was something anyone with 2 years of IT experience would know how to put in place without guidance.

And I went to the effort solely to help your students, as it comes across as they are going to be let down by someone looking for excuses rather than solutions.
  • kingstongraham

rjsterry said:

What you learn when working in the real world is how to target advice at the correct level. What I wrote was something anyone with 2 years of IT experience would know how to put in place without guidance.

And I went to the effort solely to help your students, as it comes across as they are going to be let down by someone looking for excuses rather than solutions.
    Your advice was to bypass the security controls on the system without authority. That wouldn't fly in most companies.
  • rjsterry said:

Your advice was to bypass the security controls on the system without authority. That wouldn't fly in most companies.
    Very few companies would ever know and certainly not an inept council IT department :smile:

• bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674

rjsterry said:

What you clearly haven't learned, presumably beacuse the real world is not your natural environment, is what words mean, or to read what people write.

If you had, you would have realised that your "advice" was not remotely targeted at the next level.

I explained ad nauseam that I am no expert but entirely familiar with network management, including having used RDP regularly. But you chose to pretend that I was a poor ignorant noob so that you could look like the one who was winning the argument.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    edited August 2020

What you clearly haven't learned, presumably beacuse the real world is not your natural environment, is what words mean, or to read what people write.

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,560

Stevo_666 said:

As I've said before, whinging with no better alternative is a bit pointless.

You dismiss all criticism of your 'team' as whinging, but as I've pointed out several times before, if an argument has merit, it can withstand criticism, and if the criticisms have merit, then good politicians will take them on board to improve outcomes, rather than just dismissing them as whinging. It's as lame as screaming 'fake news'.
    It's called constructive criticism when you offer an alternative. Maybe a learning point for you Brian?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,699
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

As I've said before, whinging with no better alternative is a bit pointless.

You dismiss all criticism of your 'team' as whinging, but as I've pointed out several times before, if an argument has merit, it can withstand criticism, and if the criticisms have merit, then good politicians will take them on board to improve outcomes, rather than just dismissing them as whinging. It's as lame as screaming 'fake news'.
    It's called constructive criticism when you offer an alternative. Maybe a learning point for you Brian?
    😂
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • kingstongraham
    Even Quentin Letts had a pop today.

His daughter was affected by it, before anyone thinks he can be empathetic.

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    It's just like the states, innit?
  • Stevo_666
    If you want to call a 5 point lead 'all falling apart for the Tories', that's OK with me.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,699
    Whoosh.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Stevo_666
    rjsterry said:

Whoosh.

Maybe TWH or you can explain then.
  • kingstongraham
    I think most people got it.
  • Stevo_666

I saw a poll about voting intentions - what have I missed?
  • kingstongraham
    Although the last week hasn't done wonders for them:

• Stevo_666
    There were plenty of hopeful lefties and centre lefties quoting stats to show it was all falling apart for the tories last year and look what happened. Here we go again...keep hoping folks, its good to see optimism in Cake Stop.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,694
    orraloon said:

Come on then Tory boy, set out precisely the plus points for the dUK having Wank4rBo as PM.

Still waiting...
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    Stevo_666 said:

Sarcasm.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Sarcasm.
    Ah OK, thought I had completely misinterpreted something.
  • Stevo_666
    orraloon said:

orraloon said:

Come on then Tory boy, set out precisely the plus points for the dUK having Wank4rBo as PM.

Still waiting...
    Oh OK then.
    - Won an 80 seat majority
    - Handed Labour their worst election defeat in decades
    - Put the Lib Dems and Wee Jimmy Krankie back in their boxes
    - Took a suitably firm line with the EU and delivered the WA
    - Took sensible measure to support the economy in the pandemic e.g. the CJRS and EOTHO.
    - Pi $$ed you off no end ;)

How's that for starters?
  • Stevo_666 said:

orraloon said:

orraloon said:

Still waiting...
    Oh OK then.
    - Won an 80 seat majority
    - Handed Labour their worst election defeat in decades
    - Put the Lib Dems and Wee Jimmy Krankie back in their boxes
    - Took a suitably firm line with the EU and delivered the WA
    - Took sensible measure to support the economy in the pandemic e.g. the CJRS and EOTHO.
    - Pi $$ed you off no end ;)

How's that for starters?
    Only one of those answers the question of why having Boris as PM is good for dUK (what is the “d”)

I am sure even I could come up with more than one