The cooking thread and what are you having for dinner tonight beansnikpoh?

Comments

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,090
    seanoconn said:

Green Salad With Lemon Dressing.

Back on track, quite right, sounds very healthy 👍
    Sook.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    seanoconn said:

pinno said:

Top edit that Ben. Like.

You would think an Irishman would want his ashes scattered over the slopes of Carrauntoohil rather than carried off on some Scandinavian myth.

Cheeky fecker. I’ll have you know I’m 1 quarter Viking warrior, 1 quarter Cherokee, 1 quarter Mongolian, half Irish and half English.

I thought it was John who's on the diet?
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • pinno
    Back OT and not about itinerant teenagers...

I am now doing a Peratha experiment.

Indegrets:

Plain flour
    Water
    Egg
    Clarified butter.

So I made a dough and let it rest for 30 mins.

Rolled it out, brushed clarified butter on it, gave it a light dusting of flour and started folding - concertina fashion.

Then made a round...

That's not a hole in the middle BTW, it's just shadow.

Then rolled it out:

Now, I am posting this whilst it has a second rest (10 mins)...

Fried them in a pan with clarified butter.

Really nice.

• johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    Looks excellent!
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    johngti said:

MattFalle said:

johngti said:

Was supposed to be stew but the meat hasn't defrosted in time. Tomorrow is wedding anniversary day so Indian takeaway. Prawn dansak for me with a bit of boiled rice and a chapati.

And Friday is Chinese New Year so it'll be Chinese takeaway, according to #1 son. Going to have to limit myself to some soup and maybe chicken and cashew nuts with a bit of boiled rice.

Tonight, though, is anyone's guess.

Whats with the starvation rations JG?
    Been doing some semi-serious training for the first time in my life. Lost 13-14kg since July and quite like being lighter but would like to hit 72kg for the cycling season so that's 3 more to go.

I'm sure I won't waste away!
    how tall you be, JG?
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • pinno
    MattFalle said:

johngti said:

MattFalle said:

johngti said:

Was supposed to be stew but the meat hasn't defrosted in time. Tomorrow is wedding anniversary day so Indian takeaway. Prawn dansak for me with a bit of boiled rice and a chapati.

And Friday is Chinese New Year so it'll be Chinese takeaway, according to #1 son. Going to have to limit myself to some soup and maybe chicken and cashew nuts with a bit of boiled rice.

Been doing some semi-serious training for the first time in my life. Lost 13-14kg since July and quite like being lighter but would like to hit 72kg for the cycling season so that's 3 more to go.

how tall you be, JG?
    He is 4'2", with high heels.
  • MattFalle
    pinno said:

MattFalle said:

johngti said:

MattFalle said:

johngti said:

how tall you be, JG?
    talking like that on Valentines weekend..... now that's steamy stuff.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,083
    Tonight’s food, obviously in kit form, so apparently even I can prepare it

Starter - Moyden's cheese & Paso Primero blanco fondue, sourdough croutons, pickles, garlic & rosemary.

Main - Mortimer forest venison haunch, dauphinoise potato, Paso Primero tinto and medlar sauce, roast cabbage, buttered carrots, garlic & parsley.

Pudding - Chocolate soufflé, chocolate sauce, Herefordshire berries, Mawley cream.
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    pinno said:

Back OT and not about itinerant teenagers...

I am now doing a Peratha experiment.

Indegrets:

Plain flour
    Water
    Egg
    Clarified butter.

So I made a dough and let it rest for 30 mins.

Rolled it out, brushed clarified butter on it, gave it a light dusting of flour and started folding - concertina fashion.

Then made a round...

That's not a hole in the middle BTW, it's just shadow.

Then rolled it out:

Now, I am posting this whilst it has a second rest (10 mins)...

Fried them in a pan with clarified butter.

Really nice.

That looks bloody great!

• johngti
    pinno said:

MattFalle said:

johngti said:

MattFalle said:

johngti said:

how tall you be, JG?
    I didn’t know we’d met!
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,198
    johngti said:

pinno said:

MattFalle said:

johngti said:

MattFalle said:

johngti said:

how tall you be, JG?
    I didn’t know we’d met!
    You know that van you see sometimes parked at the bottom of your road?
  • johngti
    orraloon said:

johngti said:

pinno said:

MattFalle said:

johngti said:

MattFalle said:

johngti said:

how tall you be, JG?
    I didn’t know we’d met!
    Everyone told me I was just being paranoid about that. I knew I’d heard some weird noises coming from the back of it when I walked past. Kind of a grunting, snuffling sound.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    edited February 2021
    Baked aubergine pasta, Nigel Slater recipe found in the Guardian online.

I had an aubergine that needed using up, some cherry tomatoes and loads of pasta, so just googled what would be good.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • hopkinb
    elbowloh said:

I had an aubergine that needed using up, some cherry tomatoes and loads of pasta, so just googled what would be good.

Slater gives me the creeps, but he writes very well, and his recipes always work. So, despite the feeling he has buried at least 3 Filipino boys called Raúl under his patio, I'm a fan.
  • elbowloh
    hopkinb said:

elbowloh said:

Slater gives me the creeps, but he writes very well, and his recipes always work. So, despite the feeling he has buried at least 3 Filipino boys called Raúl under his patio, I'm a fan.
    I hadn't realised that Raul was such a popular name in the Philippines.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • pinno
    orraloon said:

johngti said:

pinno said:

MattFalle said:

johngti said:

MattFalle said:

johngti said:

how tall you be, JG?
    I didn’t know we’d met!
    Wasnae me.
    I think I pulled one night in Cardiff after 10 pints.
  • hopkinb
    elbowloh said:

hopkinb said:

elbowloh said:

I hadn't realised that Raul was such a popular name in the Philippines.
    There were at least 3. All dead now.
  • johngti
    pinno said:

orraloon said:

johngti said:

pinno said:

MattFalle said:

johngti said:

MattFalle said:

johngti said:

how tall you be, JG?
    I didn’t know we’d met!
    Wasnae me.
    I think I pulled one night in Cardiff after 10 pints.
    That wouldn’t have been me (unless it was an international weekend). I’m from the north you see. I was in my mid 20s before even visiting Cardiff.
  • pinno
    Must have been a sheep then.

What constitutes 'North' in your opinion?
  • johngti
    pinno said:

Must have been a sheep then.

What constitutes 'North' in your opinion?

Vale of Clwyd - Ruthin was where I were brought up
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,625
    Making my first tarka dhal tonight with butter chicken and a cucumber raita. Followed by cocktails.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • elbowloh
    edited February 2021
    seanoconn said:

Making my first tarka dhal tonight with butter chicken and a cucumber raita. Followed by cocktails.

Where did you get your otter from? Waitrose don't seem to do it anymore.

Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • hopkinb
    elbowloh said:

seanoconn said:

Where did you get your otter from? Waitrose don't seem to do it anymore.

:smiley:
  • hopkinb
    seanoconn said:

I'd have the cocktails first. Alcohol never sits well on top of Indian food for me.
  • MattFalle
    Lamb chops from Edwyns via Janice the butcher.

Pan fried with rosemary from the garden, seasoned, turn the fat crispy, mint sauce.

New potatos, kale, other bits.
  • MattFalle
    currently gaving a curry Pot Noodle and these. Posh fig rolls, innit.

• hopkinb
    MattFalle said:

Lamb chops from Edwyns via Janice the butcher.

Pan fried with rosemary from the garden, seasoned, turn the fat crispy, mint sauce.

New potatos, kale, other bits.

Lamb chops are food of the gods.

Look out for lamb rump too though. Score the fat diamond wise, start off fat side down to render it, then finish in oven to approx 60 degrees and rest.

• hopkinb
    Was a while ago I did those, must do a nice meat order.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,625
    hopkinb said:

seanoconn said:

I'd have the cocktails first. Alcohol never sits well on top of Indian food for me.
    The lentils didn’t cook evenly 🤔 Might have had the heat too high.

Cocktails before bed increase the chance of a leg over. Looks unlikely today though.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • hopkinb
    seanoconn said:

hopkinb said:

seanoconn said:

The lentils didn’t cook evenly 🤔 Might have had the heat too high.

Cocktails before bed increase the chance of a leg over. Looks unlikely today though.
    Uncooked lentils and what you mentioned earlier will probably lead to a hand shandy in the bog for you young man.