The cooking thread and what are you having for dinner tonight beansnikpoh?

Comments

• hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    Ben6899 said:

We made okonomiyaki and apple cake, last night. Okonomiyaki always sends me back to Hiroshima where I first had it, cooked on the hot plate in front of me at a market stall while I drank a cold pint of Kirin Ichiban...

There were plenty of people walking about in surgical masks, back then actually!

This is more like it!!

I love Japanese food. I work for a Japanese company, and cannot wait until I get to go to Tokyo and get to eat the real thing in situ - I should have been a couple of times this year, but covid.

They always wear masks in the winter in the office if they have a cold.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,090
    Ben6899 said:

We made okonomiyaki and apple cake, last night. Okonomiyaki always sends me back to Hiroshima where I first had it, cooked on the hot plate in front of me at a market stall while I drank a cold pint of Kirin Ichiban...

There were plenty of people walking about in surgical masks, back then actually!

Dunno what the heck all that is but it looks and sounds good.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    We went to Japan a couple of years back whilst the wife was preggers. Supposed to be there 2.5 weeks, First Tokyo, then over so see the snow monkeys, down to Kyoto and Hiroshima also (amongst a few other bits i can't remember). We had rail passes and everything, but the wife was sick we ended up in and out of hospital there for 4 days and came home, so didn't really get to sample much :-(

Definitely plan on doing that planned trip in a few years, but with the sprogs.

I also used to work for a Japanese company, but never got to go on a work trip.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    pinno said:

Ben6899 said:

Japanese pancake, basically Pinno. 1:1 flour and water, 2 eggs per 75g flour (so 75g, 75ml and 2 eggs will give enough batter for one serving)

Beat that together, then add your chosen filling (shredded sweetheart cabbage last night) and mix it all in. Add all that to a very hot pan and cook like an omelette, flipping halfway through. Toppings of your choice (we had crispy fried onions, mayo and a sauce from ketchup, HP, date syrup).

Serve with Sapporo.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • pinno
    Ben6899 said:

pinno said:

Ben6899 said:

Japanese pancake, basically Pinno. 1:1 flour and water, 2 eggs per 75g flour (so 75g, 75ml and 2 eggs will give enough batter for one serving)

Beat that together, then add your chosen filling (shredded sweetheart cabbage last night) and mix it all in. Add all that to a very hot pan and cook like an omelette, flipping halfway through. Toppings of your choice (we had crispy fried onions, mayo and a sauce from ketchup, HP, date syrup).

Serve with Sapporo.
    Just might try that. Ta very much.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,625
    Vienna schnitzel tonight cooked the traditional way, deep fried in clarified butter. Served with yummy potato salad made by dressing the still warm potatoes in mustard, olive oil and white wine vinegar then adding plenty of seasoning, diced pickled cucumber, spring onions, chives, possibly capers and lashings of mayo to the cooled spuds. Accompanied with a Mandoline sliced cucumber salad with onion and a little sour cream.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • pinno
    edited February 2021
    Right posh you Seano.

Tonight will be marinated Chicken with side salad and new potatoes.

Click Yes to view marinade recipe.
    Click No to f8ck off.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,083
    Whatever’s in the freezer side of the beer fridge as it’s getting moved tomorrow
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    On a late. Dinner will be whatever TDV and the bambini have left behind, undoubtedly cold.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    Was supposed to be stew but the meat hasn't defrosted in time. Tomorrow is wedding anniversary day so Indian takeaway. Prawn dansak for me with a bit of boiled rice and a chapati.

And Friday is Chinese New Year so it'll be Chinese takeaway, according to #1 son. Going to have to limit myself to some soup and maybe chicken and cashew nuts with a bit of boiled rice.

Tonight, though, is anyone's guess.
  • pinno
    How many years is that then, 40? :)
  • johngti
    pinno said:

How many years is that then, 40? :)

My missus would be mortified as she’s a younger model. She’s not made it to 40 herself yet! Not far off now, mind. She loves it when I remind her about that 🤣
  • pinno
    My OH just turned 37.
  • MattFalle
    johngti said:

Was supposed to be stew but the meat hasn't defrosted in time. Tomorrow is wedding anniversary day so Indian takeaway. Prawn dansak for me with a bit of boiled rice and a chapati.

And Friday is Chinese New Year so it'll be Chinese takeaway, according to #1 son. Going to have to limit myself to some soup and maybe chicken and cashew nuts with a bit of boiled rice.

Whats with the starvation rations JG?
  • seanoconn
    pinno said:

My OH just turned 37.

First wife was 12 years younger, wouldn’t go for a big age gap again. Current wife 3 years younger, just about right and won’t be such a loss of life when I pop my clogs and she lays grief stricken on my burning funeral pyre as I sail to Valhalla.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    edited February 2021
    seanoconn said:

pinno said:

My OH just turned 37.

First wife was 12 years younger, wouldn’t go for a big age gap again. Current wife 3 years younger, just about right and won’t be such a loss of life when I pop my clogs and she lays grief stricken on my burning funeral pyre as I sail to Alsager.

Alsager? What, along the Trent and Mersey canal?
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,608
    pinno said:

My OH just turned 37.

For some reason I get an image of 'Albert Steptoe' saying that...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinno
    Top edit that Ben. Like.

You would think an Irishman would want his ashes scattered over the slopes of Carrauntoohil rather than carried off on some Scandinavian myth.
  • MattFalle
    Ben6899 said:

seanoconn said:

pinno said:

My OH just turned 37.

First wife was 12 years younger, wouldn’t go for a big age gap again. Current wife 3 years younger, just about right and won’t be such a loss of life when I pop my clogs and she lays grief stricken on my burning funeral pyre as I sail to Alsager.

Alsager. The haven of inbreeding and racism, the pond of fetid miasma on the putulent super gonorrea wart of humanity.

Alsager.itsshit.
  • pinno
    MattFalle said:

Ben6899 said:

seanoconn said:

pinno said:

My OH just turned 37.

Alsager. The haven of inbreeding and racism, the pond of fetid miasma on the putulent super gonorrea wart of humanity.

Alsager.itsshit.
    No, that's Wishaw. Alsager is not that good.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,198
    seanoconn said:

First wife was 12 years younger, wouldn’t go for a big age gap again.

You are Prince Charles and ICMFP.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    I haven't got a clue what's going on here today.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • johngti
    MattFalle said:

johngti said:

Whats with the starvation rations JG?
    Been doing some semi-serious training for the first time in my life. Lost 13-14kg since July and quite like being lighter but would like to hit 72kg for the cycling season so that's 3 more to go.

I'm sure I won't waste away!
  • johngti
    seanoconn said:

pinno said:

My OH just turned 37.

First wife was 12 years younger, wouldn’t go for a big age gap again. Current wife 3 years younger, just about right and won’t be such a loss of life when I pop my clogs and she lays grief stricken on my burning funeral pyre as I sail to Valhalla.

13 year gap here. Ex was 3 years older than me so I've gone the other way.
  • seanoconn
    johngti said:

seanoconn said:

pinno said:

My OH just turned 37.

13 year gap here. Ex was 3 years older than me so I've gone the other way.
    Male teacher out numbered 3-1 by young female teachers. I feel for you John 😂
  • seanoconn
    elbowloh said:

I haven't got a clue what's going on here today.

Today?
  • seanoconn
    pinno said:

Top edit that Ben. Like.

You would think an Irishman would want his ashes scattered over the slopes of Carrauntoohil rather than carried off on some Scandinavian myth.

Cheeky fecker. I’ll have you know I’m 1 quarter Viking warrior, 1 quarter Cherokee, 1 quarter Mongolian, half Irish and half English.
  • pinno
    seanoconn said:

pinno said:

Top edit that Ben. Like.

Cheeky fecker. I’ll have you know I’m 1 quarter Viking warrior, 1 quarter Cherokee, 1 quarter Mongolian, half Irish and half English and 100% lunatic(*).
    *Likeable though.

• pinno

Green Salad With Lemon Dressing.

You poor basket.
  • seanoconn

Green Salad With Lemon Dressing.

Back on track, quite right, sounds very healthy 👍