The cooking thread and what are you having for dinner tonight beansnikpoh?

Comments

• Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,170
    pinno said:

Tourtiere, that's different.

It's a traditional French-Canadian X-mas Eve dish. Family are not French-Canadian but we've adopted the tradition as I/we like tourtiere.
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    seanoconn said:

Curry consumed. Sinuses packed with lamb. Feeling unwell.

You're not meant to snort it chief...
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Its asparagus risotto tonight for us with some homemade garlic bread.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • hopkinb
    Home made sausage rolls then roast salmon with dill-heavy potato salad and some shredded cabbage here.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    seanoconn said:

I’m cooking roast duck tomorrow and could do with some pointers.

Curry ordered. Tandoori king prawn masala for missus, butter chicken for kids and an extremely daring lamb dhansak for me.

I'll ask TDV. From MF's perspective she stuck it in the oven earlier and then it appeared on the table and he stuck it down his throat.

#foodfairies
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,089
    edited December 2020
    Harry182 said:

pinno said:

Tourtiere, that's different.

It's a traditional French-Canadian X-mas Eve dish. Family are not French-Canadian but we've adopted the tradition as I/we like tourtiere.
    So what Tourtiere did you have?

Me, I cooked the rest of the big beef we bought for xmas day:

5 big onions chopped finely and cooked in sunflower oil (no butter - makes it a little sweet).
    Cooked them right down.
    Braised the cubed beef and then poured in 500ml of Guinness.
    Boiled it off on a high heat which left a rich gravy.
    Added to the onions with lashings of salt and pepper plus beef stock.

Cooked for 3 and a half hours, simmered right down.

Chopped a full tub of big Chestnut mushrooms into quarters.

Placed 'Shrooms into the bottom of a gratin dish and poured the cooked beef in on top and put a puff pastry lid in it.
    Served with good old fashioned Broccoli, Carrots and mash.

Finished off with Vanilla ice cream and sprinkles of dark chocolate flaked with my 10".
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tomorrow, home made Lamb biryani again - I have fresh Coriander, Spinach and home made Paneer (in fridge) to go in it.
    Plus home made Naan bread - there's nothing like home made Naan and blitzed Cashews in natural Yoghurt.
    Lamb is currently marinating.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,170
    Yours sounds great.

We did a pretty standard tourtiere: Mix of minced beef and pork; onion, carrot and garlic; salt + pepper; savory, oregano, thyme; nutmeg + cloves; all cooked in enough beef stock (with a bit of marmite) to keep meat moist and to not brown; stir in a diced boiled potato; rest in fridge overnight; bake into a pie using basic (not sweet) pie pastry. Went great with worchester sauce or ketchup(!).

I knew an Acadian family who had a more traditional (hardcore) approach to tourtiere. They'd include porcupine, squirrel, etc - whatever else they'd bagged while hunting. Never had the opportunity to try it. Apparently porcupine tastes sweet.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle said:

seanoconn said:

I’m cooking roast duck tomorrow and could do with some pointers.

Curry ordered. Tandoori king prawn masala for missus, butter chicken for kids and an extremely daring lamb dhansak for me.

I'll ask TDV. From MF's perspective she stuck it in the oven earlier and then it appeared on the table and he stuck it down his throat.

#foodfairies
    I asked TDV.

She helpfully said "follow the recipe - this one is from Gordon Ramsey"

Sorry.

#adviceandtips
  • pinno
    Road kill Tourtiere. Old world meets new world.

Duck is lovely, Can be a bit oily, so dry roasted and slowly so as not to shrivel it up.

Leftovers make the most fantastic stock for soup or...

Cook the meat with Leaks and onion and make into a puff pastry pie.
    Put all the leftover veg in a pot, cook it for a good while, add stock, mash it all up, sieve it and use this to make a base for your gravy for your pie.
  • MattFalle
    Just finished chopping up a kilo of onions for fresh french onion soup for lunch.

Feesh baguette with melted fromage and a glass of vin blanc.
  • hopkinb
    Love onion soup. Unfortunately it does not love me. We had men dropping out of black helicopters wearing hazmat suits last time I had onion soup. Neighbours reported a presumed chemical attack. Explosions and a terrible, eye-watering stench they said.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,605
    hopkinb said:

Love onion soup. Unfortunately it does not love me. We had men dropping out of black helicopters wearing hazmat suits last time I had onion soup. Neighbours reported a presumed chemical attack. Explosions and a terrible, eye-watering stench they said.

Wash it down with Guinness, apparently that cures the problem.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • elbowloh
    Halloumi wraps for us for lunch, with some pickles jalapenos
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,625
    Possibly a fry up soon with some Clonakilty black pudding. Pork rissoles with plenty of dill, buttery spring onion mash and cucumber salad for dinner. Sticky toffee pudding for dessert.

Super model diet tomorrow 😩
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • hopkinb
    seanoconn said:

Possibly a fry up soon with some Clonakilty black pudding. Pork rissoles with plenty of dill, buttery spring onion mash and cucumber salad for dinner. Sticky toffee pudding for dessert.

Super model diet tomorrow 😩

Cor. That all sounds good. Except for the diet. Unless you will mainly be eating supermodels of course.
  • pinno
    Oh but they are so bony.
  • MattFalle
    hopkinb said:

Must admit that it did warm the cockles - deffo one to revisit.

BBC Good Food had a recipe for a chickpea Indian soup that looked well pukka mint. May give that a go during the week.

• Stevo_666
    pinno said:

Oh but they are so bony.

Depends what sort eating, surely?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,197
    Oh, bony. I thought you meant bonny.

Coat. Door. ---->
  • pinno
    Definitely not bonny.
  • Cargobike
    Cargobike Posts: 748
    Some lentils, heavy on the garlic, chillis and ginger.

Great way to break a 24 hour fast.

• hopkinb
    I went a bit Seano. Pork shoulder braised in cider, stock, onions and fennel. While the shoulder rested, I took the cooking liquor and veg down to a sauce and added some chopped tarragon to complement the fennel. Added the fork shredded pork to the sauce and served with pomme purée and some winter greens. Nice winter grub.
  • elbowloh
    Where do you peeps get the time and energy to do all this cooking?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Stevo_666
    elbowloh said:

I let the trouble 'n' strife do most of it myself...
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,197
    As by this lunchtime I finally have managed to mange tout les Christmas foodstuffs, tonight is back to simplez. A nice little cottage pie is baking, sweet and Brit combo topping with chilli and ras el hanout flavours adding some layers over the beef 'n' carrots, innit.
  • hopkinb
    elbowloh said:

Kids are older. It's my hobby and interest, so it's not a chore to create delicious and interesting food for the family (not that mini cares much for it, but the boy and Mrs H³ do). Also, last day of holiday. I don't do this on a normal weekday. For that I have plenty of ragu, chilli, curries, dhals and stews in the freezer that I batch cooked. Or home made (in the pressure cooker) stocks for a quick soup. Or egg and chips. Or at least once a week, a takeaway, we have many good local ones.
  • MattFalle
    elbowloh said:

Because I’m a hero in all forms of being.

#notallheroeswearcapes
  • MattFalle
    And TDV works her backside off as well so MF running around like a headless idiot is the least MF can do.

#hemusthavesomeuse
  • elbowloh
    I cook pretty much every night, but it's at least 20.00 or 20.20 by the time the boy is asleep, so I only really cool things I can do in 20-40 mins. Except maybe weekends when I get time to marinade stuff or slow cook a curry.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Cargobike
    Cargobike Posts: 748
    I try and cook at least 3-4 nights a week.
    Admittedly, nothing too fancy, but you only get better and quicker through practice.