Comments

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Context
    Leave.EU Retweeted

Westmonster@WestmonsterUK
    3h3 hours ago
    More
    @LeaveEUOfficial appeal sees Brexiteers sign up to Tory Party to elect next Leader.

“I joined last night. Boris for PM.”

https://www.westmonster.com/leave-eu-ap ... xt-leader/
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,051
    edited August 2018
    Context
    Leave.EU Retweeted

3h3 hours ago
    More
    @LeaveEUOfficial appeal sees Brexiteers sign up to Tory Party to elect next Leader.

Westmonster is just another mouthpiece of Banks so of course he would say that. He's also effectively retweeting himself.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Context
    Leave.EU Retweeted

3h3 hours ago
    More

Too soon. Boris will only be prepared to take the helm after March 29th. At this point he will be able to blame everything on others. If he were to be a pre-Brexit leader, he would actually have to do something. He is perfectly happy where he is right now. Stirring things up, lobbing hand grenades and blaming others.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,019
    rjsterry wrote:
    Given his party is already taking flak for islamophobia towards its own members, maybe now is not the best time to bring this up. As I've mentioned about 3 or 4 times now, the first prominent calls for an apology came from his party chairman and party leader. And quite reasonably so. With everything else going on, they don't need it. If nothing else this shows that Johnson thinks he is more important than his party.

In the same way that Sarah Champion got so much stick for daring to mention the problem with men of Pakistani heritage exploiting white teenagers on an industrial scale - possibly the biggest scandal in the uk in my lifetime yet she still got forced out for daring to speak the truth. Just because your party calls for an apology doesn't make you wrong.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry wrote:
    Given his party is already taking flak for islamophobia towards its own members, maybe now is not the best time to bring this up. As I've mentioned about 3 or 4 times now, the first prominent calls for an apology came from his party chairman and party leader. And quite reasonably so. With everything else going on, they don't need it. If nothing else this shows that Johnson thinks he is more important than his party.

In the same way that Sarah Champion got so much stick for daring to mention the problem with men of Pakistani heritage exploiting white teenagers on an industrial scale - possibly the biggest scandal in the uk in my lifetime yet she still got forced out for daring to speak the truth. Just because your party calls for an apology doesn't make you wrong.

Had to read up on that. From what I can find she wrote an opinion piece for the Sun, which addressed the subject, but has claimed that the article was edited to an extent that it no longer accurately reflected her views. This was then contested. Possibly a bit naive to expect the Sun to do nuanced debate. I think that shows that you can have a valid point but go about expressing it in counterproductive ways.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry wrote:

You mean the scandals that the media are hiding away from public view, like what is happening right now in Huddersfield with 31 Pakistani men...
  • rjsterry wrote:

You mean the scandals that the media are hiding away from public view, like what is happening right now in Huddersfield with 31 Pakistani men...

hidden away????

if you have access to the internet you should try www.google.com then search on what you are looking for

https://www.google.co.uk/search?rlz=1C1 ... L6W6dKCvcs
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    This is what I never understand when I'm told something is hidden away by the media (for some agenda or other)...

1. The person is telling me about it, so it's not that hidden; and
    2. Invariably, I've heard about it too (as in this example from Huddersfield. I mean it's on the BBC, the UK's prominent provider of news).

Bizarre.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • rjsterry wrote:

hidden away????

if you have access to the internet you should try http://www.google.com then search on what you are looking for

The BBC reported this story on Wednesday

It was not on their front news page.
    They deemed it such a trivial matter that is was not on the UK only news page.
    It was one of the sub-reports on the English only news, about the 6th or 7th article on the list.
    It was the lead headline on the Leeds/West Yorkshire region page.

They gave more editorial prominence to a horse running wild at a farm show in Wales.

They did the same when this occurred in Telford until an MP asked an awkward question of the green party MP.

The media are becoming complicit in what these scum are doing because they are intentionally downplaying this
  • Ben6899
    We never see eye to eye, Coopster, but this is tinfoil hat territory.

It certainly wasn't top billing on the BBC, but I was aware of the story despite the factors you list. I won't be the only one.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
  • Ben6899 wrote:

It certainly wasn't top billing on the BBC, but I was aware of the story despite the factors you list. I won't be the only one.

If this was a gang of 5+ white men it would be headline front page news.

Any reason why because the men are Pakistani, this is treated differently?
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 wrote:

If this was a gang of 5+ white men it would be headline front page news.

Any reason why because the men are Pakistani, this is treated differently?

It's difficult to debate a hypothesis, in all fairness.
    Ben

• rjsterry wrote:

hidden away????

if you have access to the internet you should try http://www.google.com then search on what you are looking for

The BBC reported this story on Wednesday

It was not on their front news page.
    They deemed it such a trivial matter that is was not on the UK only news page.
    It was one of the sub-reports on the English only news, about the 6th or 7th article on the list.
    It was the lead headline on the Leeds/West Yorkshire region page.

They gave more editorial prominence to a horse running wild at a farm show in Wales.

They did the same when this occurred in Telford until an MP asked an awkward question of the green party MP.

The media are becoming complicit in what these scum are doing because they are intentionally downplaying this

are you saying that the Sun/Express/Mail are in a conspiracy with the BBC/Guardian?
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,731
    Are we talking about the story that has been reported on several times over the past few years whenever there are more arrests/charges?

Wednesday was when there was an attack on Parliament and a dozens killed in a massive bridge collapse wasn't it?
  • rjsterry
    Are we talking about the story that has been reported on several times over the past few years whenever there are more arrests/charges?

Wednesday was when there was an attack on Parliament and a dozens killed in a massive bridge collapse wasn't it?

Exactly! Coincidence that these happened on the same day that news came out about Huddersfield? Or a conspiracy?
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Are we talking about the story that has been reported on several times over the past few years whenever there are more arrests/charges?

And this comment proves my point precisely.

They are completely different stories in separate locations. Rotherham, Telford & now Huddersfield this week and there are plenty more but you have to go looking for them. Same MO, which is a large group of Pakistani men groom, abuse and rape vulnerable young girls, many of the girls being under 16 when it starts.

Pakistani men make up less than 2% of the population but are way over represented in recent cases where gangs groom, abuse and rape young girls yet the media, police and authorities ignore this because racism now provides a convenient cover for the crimes to take place.
  • Are we talking about the story that has been reported on several times over the past few years whenever there are more arrests/charges?

They are completely different stories in separate locations. Rotherham, Telford & now Huddersfield this week but there are plenty more and you have to go looking for them. Same MO, which is a large group of Pakistani men groom, abuse and rape vulnerable young girls, many of them being under 16.

Pakistani men make up less than 2% of the population but are way over represented in recent cases where gangs groom, abuse and rape young girls.

your point was that these events were going unreported

Is your point that these crimes are overwhelmingly committed by a small section of society against a section of society about whom nobody cares and that historically they have not been properly investigated because of political correctness/sensitivity?

I do hope not as that would mean we agreed upon something.

You do need to learn to say "men of Pakistani origin" rather than "Pakistani men"
  • rjsterry
    This might be pertinent.

https://fullfact.org/crime/what-do-we-k ... -children/

It seems nobody has the data to be certain but the particular grooming gang pattern of abuse seems to be disproportionately (but not exclusively or overwhelmingly) perpetrated by groups of men of Pakistani origin, whereas other forms of abuse are predominantly perpetrated by white men. Overall the demographics of perpetrators seem to broadly reflect that of the country as a whole.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• DeVlaeminck
    edited August 2018
    rjsterry wrote:
    This might be pertinent.

It seems nobody has the data to be certain but the particular grooming gang pattern of abuse seems to be disproportionately (but not exclusively or overwhelmingly) perpetrated by groups of men of Pakistani origin, whereas other forms of abuse are predominantly perpetrated by white men. Overall the demographics of perpetrators seem to broadly reflect that of the country as a whole.

https://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/ ... ing-gangs/

"Why are we still, despite the years of evidence mounting up, uncomfortable talking about this issue? And accepting that there is a hugely disproportionate number of British South Asian Muslim men involved in what can only be described as a despicable crime?"
  • rjsterry
    Who's uncomfortable?
    Pinnacle Monzonite

They are completely different stories in separate locations. Rotherham, Telford & now Huddersfield this week but there are plenty more and you have to go looking for them. Same MO, which is a large group of Pakistani men groom, abuse and rape vulnerable young girls, many of them being under 16.

Pakistani men make up less than 2% of the population but are way over represented in recent cases where gangs groom, abuse and rape young girls.

Is your point that these crimes are overwhelmingly committed by a small section of society against a section of society about whom nobody cares and that historically they have not been properly investigated because of political correctness/sensitivity?

You do need to learn to say "men of Pakistani origin" rather than "Pakistani men"

Apart from semantics we agree.

Except that it is not just that is not done correctly because of misguided political correctness/sensitivity butthe reporting of such events.

While the liberals who don't want to have to acknowledge there is a problem, will continue to hush this up, there would be shouty liberal faux outrage if this was a gang of 30 white men.

Just look at how they act to some burka comments yet turn a blind eye to this criminal abuse.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Unlike the Catholic church?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Ironically, describing these men as 'of Pakistani origin' is seen in some quarters as evidence that the BBC is hiding the truth

It was the 3rd item on the R4 6pm news, behind the Italian bridge collapse and the Houses of Parliament attacker
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rjsterry

Except that it is not just that is not done correctly because of misguided political correctness/sensitivity butthe reporting of such events.

While the liberals who don't want to have to acknowledge there is a problem, will continue to hush this up, there would be shouty liberal faux outrage if this was a gang of 30 white men.

Just look at how they act to some burka comments yet turn a blind eye to this criminal abuse.

Pretty sure these shouty liberals who are simultaneously covering up one particular form of child abuse only exist in your head.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry
    cooldad wrote:
    Unlike the Catholic church?
    Quite. Or the CofE, or some children's homes...
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• DeVlaeminck
    Well it wouldn't be the first time would it https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews ... rpose.html
  • rjsterry
    Well it wouldn't be the first time would it https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews ... rpose.html
    Think there are three other causes listed alongside "misplaced political correctness".
    Pinnacle Monzonite

I was well short of places on my previous post where this has occurred. Since 2011 convictions for have been made in the following places

Rochdale
    Rotherham
    Oxford
    Telford
    Leeds
    Birmingham
    Norwich
    Burnley
    High Wycombe
    Leicester
    Dewsbury
    Middlesborough
    Peterborough
    Bristol
    Halifax
    Newcastle

Only 2 men in all those above convictions were not of British South Asian Muslim heritage.

And we'll be adding Hudderfield to that list soon but it will still be 2 men out of the whole list that do not meet a certain origin.
  • rjsterry wrote:
    This might be pertinent.

https://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/ ... ing-gangs/

"Why are we still, despite the years of evidence mounting up, uncomfortable talking about this issue? And accepting that there is a hugely disproportionate number of British South Asian Muslim men involved in what can only be described as a despicable crime?"

Boris' burka comments are Front page news for a week.

The linked LBC article and the continued crimes that it references get swept under the carpet...

Not semantics - if they were foreign we could deport them

I think you are barking up the wrong tree with the reporting. What is horrifying was pre-Rochdale the lack of investigation or reluctance to take victims seriously.

From memory it was the Times that drove the story and forced action