TDF 2018, Stage 17: Bagnères-de-Luchon > Saint-Lary-Soulan Col du Portet 25/07/2018 - 65 km *Spo

Comments

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,642
    Pross wrote:
    You’d think a pro rider would know how to change a front wheel.

I'm always amazed at how bad they are at this. Although to be fair, I usually flip the bike upside down which would probably not be a racing move.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,589
    So Landa has one domestique off the front and another three off the back and people think Sky have leadership issues!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    12 pancakes for six euro available at the hut they jsut passed, according to Rolf Sørensen

They are not the greatest - albeit very welcome after that climb.
  • Pross
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Pross wrote:

I'm always amazed at how bad they are at this. Although to be fair, I usually flip the bike upside down which would probably not be a racing move.

I guess you de-skill when someone else does it all for you. Seriously though you would think it is something they’d practice as it could cost them a race in some situations.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,329
    12 pancakes for six euro available at the hut they jsut passed, according to Rolf Sørensen

I just poured a glass of Orangina into my shoe, this might trump the marmot on a bicycle for today's excitement.

It's more usual to use champagne, I believe, though I've never seen the point.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Pross wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Pross wrote:

I guess you de-skill when someone else does it all for you. Seriously though you would think it is something they’d practice as it could cost them a race in some situations.

Might have been a bit easier if a man with legs about 18 inches long wan't stood over the crossbar.
  • Pross
    Don’t know if they showed Phil Gil’s Tweet on UK TV? Hadn’t realised he finished yesterday with a broken kneecap. That’s just nuts!
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,343
    It remains crazy how little people are willing to risk against Sky
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,816
    Pross wrote:
    Don’t know if they showed Phil Gil’s Tweet on UK TV? Hadn’t realised he finished yesterday with a broken kneecap. That’s just nuts!

Nope, but they showed it on Sporza, too.
    Impressive swelling.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    Pross wrote:

A look on his Instagram will show you how swollen it is now. Ridiculous, rode 60km with that
  • TheBigBean
    Pross wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Pross wrote:

Didn't Cavendish act as mechanic in the commonwealth games for an Isle of Man team mate? I'm fairly sure they have the skills, but need race practice as you say.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,868
    M.R.M. wrote:
    It remains crazy how little people are willing to risk against Sky

just physically very difficult...its done their heads in. TD needs froome to attack G.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,270
    It... it... it's not very interesting yet, is it?
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373

Not nearly as much as we'd hoped. Looks to me like the last 50km of a very long and boring stage
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,561
    ShutupJens wrote:

Not nearly as much as we'd hoped. Looks to me like the last 50km of a very long and boring stage

Yep, though plenty will be saying too early to say etc. etc.
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    Maybe if they'd picked a less difficult final climb it might have encouraged some more risk taking? Seems to be a lot of worrying about it.
  • TheBigBean
    dish_dash wrote:
    ShutupJens wrote:

Yep, though plenty will be saying too early to say etc. etc.

You forget about the miserable lot like me who didn't hope for much to begin with!
  • mididoctors
    bit of a show of force by sky ... hammered the race into submission... the descent of the second climb hopefully splits it up
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    One possible upside to this stage is that Dumplings and Roglic reach the final climb with a mountain train as well...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,846

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVMbnF9-l5w :lol:
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,851
    adr82 wrote:
    Maybe if they'd picked a less difficult final climb it might have encouraged some more risk taking? Seems to be a lot of worrying about it.
    That's what Sky want everyone to think...
    Half man, Half bike
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    AG2R come to the front at the base of the 2nd climb
  • Pross
    I think this just shows you can’t fabricate an exciting stage. Short stages have led to exciting racing but that has been due to teams using them tactically. Setting a stage up with a great big flag saying ‘this is the one to do your Hail Mary on’ perhaps nullifies that.
  • Pross
    Sky looking in a bit of difficulty now.
  • mididoctors
    here we go come on bardet... put it in a big ring
  • Pross
    And then it eases up.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,816
    Ag2r blowing things up until they run out of troops.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    reading this lot - glad I'm not wasting the bandwidth with live streaming!! I was going to get the (sky) box to record it so we could watch later - but glad I haven't done that either - would be a waste of a delete button! ;) I'll just wait for the highlights and delete those instead ;)
  • Pross
    AG2R haven’t got the numbers. One down and two left. That said they’ve thinned Sky out for the others.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Latour attacks with Bardet