TDF 2018, Stage 17: Bagnères-de-Luchon > Saint-Lary-Soulan Col du Portet 25/07/2018 - 65 km *Spo

Comments

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,804
    also its not the giro.. which was awesome
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,586
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:

Most obvious difference there is Dan Martin, who's a 3 star favourite on Inrng but has quite long odds, you can get 33/1 for him. Possibly worth a punt.

You've puffed me in to doing this now. Backed Martin at 37/1 and TomDum at 14/1

Really can't see Martin winning today. If he gets any gap Froome will use him as a launchpad or if he arrives at the bottom of the last climb with the GC group he is not good enough to climb with the best

I've gone E/W. on him, the returns make it worthwhile. I think he has a reasonable shout for top 3 even if as you say Froome overhauls him

Look at the races Martin does best at and there is a them; long and hilly. This is only one of the two.
  • mididoctors
    need to get into the Vosges and jura more. or put the cobbles in 2 days from paris..LOL
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    OK let the wacky races commence!
    Correlation is not causation.
  • mididoctors
    the stage over the Tourmalet and soulor/aubisque could flip the gc with a collapse or two.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,479
    So dear taken, pint in hand, TV turned over at my request ready for a hilly 3/J crit to start.
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    davidof wrote:
    davidof wrote:
    Start them on time gaps based on 10% of their GC gaps.

So, the latern rouge gets to start 20 minutes after the maillot jeune, with a 35 minute hors delay for the stage....
    Interesting. 8) :lol:

yes, so they get a delay of 20 + 35 minutes.

Or just set them off at minute intervals and call it a time trial...
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    I say we just start each team from their individual hotel car parks, that'd bloody well shake things up.
  • craigus89
    craigus89 Posts: 887
    Anyhow, before this starts.
    No matter how exciting today and the remaining stages are and even if GT does win this race, I have to say that overall, this Tour has been a real stinker.

What are you expecting? The first week was a bit drab but otherwise...?
  • above_the_cows
    Pross wrote:
    So dear taken, pint in hand, TV turned over at my request ready for a hilly 3/J crit to start.

Ha! I've got a glass of Orangina while Mr Cows has gone out to sort out our parking permit in a thunderstorm :lol:
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    This is stupid it's going to group straight off
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,844
    Where are all the grid girls in front of each rider? :lol:
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Pross
    So seat taken, pint in hand, TV turned over at my request ready for a hilly 3/J crit to start.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,844
    What a strange anti-climax start!
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • above_the_cows
    Has Ski Jump Boy got overshoes on?
  • adr82
    Ah if you are clever enough to get a grid spot near the barriers you can clip in ahead of time!
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,231
    Roglic is cheating - he's holding onto the barriers!
  • FocusZing
    Thomas had a shocking start. He need to practice that.
  • Pross
    Well that was underwhelming
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,224
    Haha
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    effillo wrote:
    davidof wrote:
    davidof wrote:
    Start them on time gaps based on 10% of their GC gaps.

So, the latern rouge gets to start 20 minutes after the maillot jeune, with a 35 minute hors delay for the stage....
    Interesting. 8) :lol:

yes, so they get a delay of 20 + 35 minutes.

The problem with this being the amount of hanging around time.
    Still, they had to for Cav, I suppose.

Anyhow, before this starts.
    No matter how exciting today and the remaining stages are and even if GT does win this race, I have to say that overall, this Tour has been a real stinker.

Name me a year in recent times where people haven't said this exact thing!!

I've only been following cycling properly for 10 yrs or so but I can't say this tour is any worse than ones in years gone by. I think people develop a nostalgia over time that paints previous editions as better than they actually were. I find this in the other sport I follow closely, F1 where everyone says races are boring now and not the same as 10-20 yrs ago,when in actual fact if you go back and watch races from that era the vast majority were plagued by the exact same 'boring' issues.

Tours never have more than half a dozen or so really good stages, even in a vintage year. There may be a few other factors at play, that can also lift a race's value.

So far for me, we have only had two really good stages and a couple of decent stages.
    It's mitigating factor if there is one, is big: the GC battle.

This stage has started pretty much as everyone expected. What a waste of time.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Was that it?
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    That was a bit crap
  • adr82
    lol...
  • above_the_cows
    Well that was like some of my ex boyfriends.
  • Pross
    My phone has taken to typing random letters so apologies for any posts that make less sense than normal!
  • mididoctors
    i think the tour is coming under pressure as a spectacle from both the other Gts and they just don't have the terrain to copy them so much. increased viewership of the giro and vuelta must make them look over their shoulder.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    Millar: "All this has done is make it harder for the riders at the back." as we get a shot of Demare exiting the rear.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • FocusZing
    Look Millar just say it was sh1te