TDF 2018, Stage 17: Bagnères-de-Luchon > Saint-Lary-Soulan Col du Portet 25/07/2018 - 65 km *Spo

1151617181921»

Comments

• ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,233
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    My suggestion: they put Froome in a generic non-team jacket to reduce the chances of random passers by having a go at him/trying to push him off, and this had the unintended effect that the police didn't recognise him either.

You're probably right. But he still has a number one on his bike and NO spectator is THAT skinny. I know he's thin but I've only ever seen him compared to other cyclists, next to mortals in those pictures... :shock:

And it's a sad state really that they pro-riders have to have bodyguards.
    I’d say 2 things about that bodyguard: he’s clearly a bit crap at bodyguarding and/or he’s a cyclist (proven by his first response to an off seemed to be to check his bike, not his highly valuable client).
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    mrfpb wrote:
    Was it last year or the year before when Froome cracked trying to follow a break by Aru on a MTF. He was overtaken by one of his own domestiques before the finishline . He still won the tour though.
    Sky aren't going to do a Finestre type plan for Froome now that Thomas is so far ahead, but I still think he'll race for second place. and get it

Don't see it myself. I think he'd decided it was Thomas's year so he'd endear himself much more if he is seen clearly helping Thomas rather than risking it all for a second place (which i'd suggest means very little to him).
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    My suggestion: they put Froome in a generic non-team jacket to reduce the chances of random passers by having a go at him/trying to push him off, and this had the unintended effect that the police didn't recognise him either.

You're probably right. But he still has a number one on his bike and NO spectator is THAT skinny. I know he's thin but I've only ever seen him compared to other cyclists, next to mortals in those pictures... :shock:

I’d say 2 things about that bodyguard: he’s clearly a bit crap at bodyguarding and/or he’s a cyclist (proven by his first response to an off seemed to be to check his bike, not his highly valuable client).
    The word ‘bodyguard’ is an overstatement though. He’s there to help get Froome the media melee at the start and finish rather than to protect against a threat.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95.
    And surely a gendarme shouldn’t be hauling anyone off their bike, regardless who they are.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,233
    RichN95 wrote:
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:

The word ‘bodyguard’ is an overstatement though. He’s there to help get Froome the media melee at the start and finish rather than to protect against a threat.
    He’s more of a Kelvin (MacKenzie) than a Kevin (Costner), then?
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    RichN95 wrote:
    And surely a gendarme shouldn’t be hauling anyone off their bike, regardless who they are.

This. We smashed it through the finish line on the stage alaphilpe won and Gilbert crashed a couple of days ago. we thought the race has ended as a few others started coming down but ended up being about 10 minutes before Demare.

It was absolutely bloody awesome as loads of fans still there amd we were absolutely hammering it but the gendarmerie were waving at us rather than grabbing riders.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,730
    RichN95 wrote:

This. We smashed it through the finish line on the stage alaphilpe won and Gilbert crashed a couple of days ago. we thought the race has ended as a few others started coming down but ended up being about 10 minutes before Demare.

It was absolutely bloody awesome as loads of fans still there amd we were absolutely hammering it but the gendarmerie were waving at us rather than grabbing riders.

Obviously looking more pro than Froome ;).
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,005
    Di9nKO7X4AAbX_3.jpg

"Froome caught trying to hide motor-doped bike up his jacksy"
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    https://twitter.com/ChadHaga/status/1022171763508166657

Just wanted to highlight this tweet for the phrase "alpha whale" :lol:
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,328
    adr82 wrote:

Just wanted to highlight this tweet for the phrase "alpha whale" :lol:

That is bloody marvellous.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • G Hincapie
    G Hincapie Posts: 78
    I didn't want to start a new thread for this, so I shall just leave it here :mrgreen:

https://youtu.be/wVtdrZA9PoI?t=1736
  • RichN95.
    A photo just before the Froome/gendarme incident.

Froome passing Demare on the way up. Gendarme doing nothing to stop Froome peacefully.

DjCTKlQW0AUHVmG.jpg
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    Froomes number can't be seen at the back. The grey jacket disguises the pro waif. I can understand why they want to go back Incognito, but it also shows how the guy made a mistake stopping Froome.

What was more interesting was the extension of the word yooooooooou. It softened the fvcks punch. Worth remembering if a swearword reluctantly pops out in a tense situation.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,100
    G Hincapie wrote:
    I didn't want to start a new thread for this, so I shall just leave it here :mrgreen:

:lol::lol::lol:
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,100
    RichN95 wrote:

And you' think that is something to brag about?
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,730
    Something I have noticed from time to time - often Brits assume all police behave as politely as their police do.

This is definitely not the case. I once made the mistake of asking a group of Dutch police where something was and I ended up being questioned for 20 minutes on why I needed to go there (an art museum) why, if I spoke Dutch, I live in the U.K. and visit Holland on holiday, etc.

French police have a rep, justified or not I don’t know, about being quite heavy handed so I’m not enormously surprised.

What does surprise me is that this stuff of riders riding downhill when he race is still on causing problems doesn’t happen more often; if you think of the context. Chris was first down, riders still coming up, he probably doesn’t want be noticed.

Apaz the rozzer asked him to stop but (as I wouldn’t if I was him) didn’t.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    DeadCalm wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

And you' think that is something to brag about?

It was awesome. Fans were other side of of the barriers as it was the last 4k.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    G Hincapie wrote:

I can't hear what they re saying at work but....Goddam George!

swooning-gif-12.gif
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • G Hincapie
    G Hincapie Posts: 78
    ddraver wrote:
    G Hincapie wrote:

I can't hear what they re saying at work but....Goddam George!

swooning-gif-12.gif

LMAO! Isn't he awesome? :)
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,400
    FocusZing wrote:
    Froomes number can't be seen at the back. The grey jacket disguises the pro waif. I can understand why they want to go back Incognito, but it also shows how the guy made a mistake stopping Froome.
    This was my thought, Froome could've just pulled aside for a moment to allow the upcoming rider & car past before continuing.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    DeadCalm wrote:
    effillo wrote:
    DeadCalm wrote:
    Those speculating about Demare hanging onto team cars without any proof of him having done so are no better than those speculating about Froome doping.

He has got previous though tbf, and you have to admit the way he has made the time cuts is pretty fishy!
    That's exactly the same form of logic the nutters in the Clinic use to cast doubt on Froome. "TUEs, Jiffy bags, salbutamol and you have to admit the way he has improved so dramatically is fishy."

It's unsubstantiated muck unless there comes a time when it is proven to the contrary.

Lol there’s no doubts
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    Meanwhile back to reality....

I just watched the Stage 17 highlights again and you can see the fat, French, fart in the FDJ shirt who grabbed Thomas isn't grabbing Quintana at all. It looks like he's trying to push him on which makes more sense in the whole Waterloo thing.
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    adr82 wrote:
    https://twitter.com/albertsecall/status/1022240955544596480
    ^Froome really not happy with his policeman buddy :P

Not surprising, especially after what happened to Nibali. Another shot, as it happened.

Di9nKO7X4AAbX_3.jpg

Is that Demare looking out of the window? :lol:

Ha ha. Brilliant
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • timoid.
    Rasmussen's view on the Greipel-Demare spat:

https://twitter.com/MRasmussen1974/stat ... 8213752836
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • timoid.
    G Hincapie wrote:

That's brilliant.
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    Timoid. wrote:
    Rasmussen's view on the Greipel-Demare spat:

https://twitter.com/MRasmussen1974/stat ... 8213752836

And Inrng makes him look like the troll he is with first reply.