Comments

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,692
    This IS a wind up.............
    :lol:
  • Chimera2018
    Chimera2018 Posts: 106
    Angry Bird wrote:
    And what part of I WANT TO BE SELF RELIANT are you not getting???????

I WANT TO BE SELF RELIANT
    ]I WANT TO BE SELF RELIANT

Maybe you should be self reliant in finding a solution to your problem? This thread is getting nowhere so I'd give up tbh.

That's just about the only sensible thing anyone else around here has said for a while.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Imposter wrote:
    You know what, fark you. I'm gone.............

Don't get yer hopes up, people - he said something similar yesterday...
    The solution is this.........I leave behind this asinine bullying and find another forum where they actually want to answer questions. I'm out.

and again..
    Meh, this has to be some kind of mass wind up. I'm out.
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    ok, I'll bite. Why don't you have 2 bottle cages on your frame, each with a 1 litre bottle. And as well as that buy one of those bottle holders that sit behind the saddle, those triathlon weirdos use them. And have a litre in each.

Because they will get stolen off his bike will it's locked up apparently. At risk of joining in with everyone else, this has literally never happened in the history of cycling. Ever. Stealing a 30p bottle off a ~£1000+ bike would take a very odd sort of thief.
    dodgy wrote:
    Who mentioned bottles? I didn't, that's just a distraction technique for you. I have never once in 40+ years of regular cycling every bought a bottle of water whilst out cycling. I have had my bottles run dry, but amazingly found somewhere to refill them without even the slightest problem at all.

By the way, you curled your lip up at the idea of refilling water at a public toilet. Why is that? Do you somehow think there is a separate lower quality water supply reserved solely for public toilets?

Distraction technique?? I've just multiple comments all telling I me should go to a shop and buy water (and how I was "wrong" for wanting to carry it all with me), and now someone else has done the exact same thing.

This IS a wind up.............

Stop. Rising. To. It.

I'm trying to help you here so please don't be angry with me, your first post didn't have enough info so people thought you needed 3L for 30 miles which is so much they thought you might have a problem. Luckily that isn't the case. Rather than shouting and swearing just don't rise to the replies you don't like and you might see a trickle of more useful ones.

For the record, aside from carrying more water bottles (you don't want to), using a frame bag (you don't like for legitimate reasons), using a rucksack (apparently not good for road cycling), your only real option is to find water en route. It appears in most people's experience that this is the best solution, they can't really offer other solutions if this is what works for them. What else do you want from the thread? There is no other solution
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    dodgy wrote:
    I'm not the one who can't complete the simple task of finding water in one of the most populated countries on earth.

I'm in the middle of the countryside, there are no shops for miles, where do I get water from?

It's late in the afternoon, all the shops are closed, where do I get water from?

ANSWER ME!!!

This has to be some kind of wind up, no one can be this dense.

Oh, and what an utterly selfish and self-centre person you are.
    you could get some when you reach the "attraction"
  • darkhairedlord
    Even these guys only took a 1l canteen with them!
    lobby3.jpg
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,619
    And what part of I WANT TO BE SELF RELIANT are you not getting???????

]I WANT TO BE SELF RELIANT

All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I remember practicing for an ironman bike - so I was out at the height of summer and wanted to get a 100m plus ride in at pace with no stopping. I did empty both bottles but passed a lady watering her garden. So she sprayed me to cool down nd filled a water bottle. I didn't even die.

I can't believe that Essex is as desolate as he makes out. And if it is - wtf is he looking at there ?
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Fenix wrote:
    I can't believe that Essex is as desolate as he makes out. And if it is - wtf is he looking at there ?

I think it was Kent, not Essex. Either way, just been looking on the map and tbh, I can't really see any areas in Kent that either desolate or unpopulated..
  • darkhairedlord
    Imposter wrote:
    Fenix wrote:

I think it was Kent, not Essex. Either way, just been looking on the map and tbh, I can't really see any areas in Kent that either desolate or unpopulated..

you are never more than 1 mile from a village.
  • darkhairedlord
    bike-trailer.jpg
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    No posts from MF in this thread.......unless? :)
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Svetty wrote:
    No posts from MF in this thread.......unless? :)
    Page 3.
  • imafatman
    imafatman Posts: 351
    /facepalm this thread.

Honestly, some people here need to calm the fark down and stop telling people how they should ride/drink/whatever.

There are a multitude of options for carrying a lot of water. You can get seat post bottle cages, large 750ml bottles, camelbacks etc... If the frame back is rubbing your legs then you need to look at alternative frame backs that are shaped to hold the water away from the the downtube where your legs rub.

Last year I had a camelback on the London 2 Brighton because I was also riding back and given that it was 36 degrees at one point in the afternoon, I was sweating an absolute bucket load. In those conditions it's quite easy to sweat a litre of water per hour, so the 2 litres on my back was very useful in getting me home along the quite lanes that take you back. We still had to stop at a petrol station to refill.

I also prefer to be self sufficient, I don't want to get to my last half bottle of water and start worrying where I'm gonna get a drink when it's 36 degrees out.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,799
    imafatman wrote:
    /facepalm this thread.

Honestly, some people here need to calm the fark down and stop telling people how they should ride/drink/whatever.

There are a multitude of options for carrying a lot of water. You can get seat post bottle cages, large 750ml bottles, camelbacks etc... If the frame back is rubbing your legs then you need to look at alternative frame backs that are shaped to hold the water away from the the downtube where your legs rub.

Last year I had a camelback on the London 2 Brighton because I was also riding back and given that it was 36 degrees at one point in the afternoon, I was sweating an absolute bucket load. In those conditions it's quite easy to sweat a litre of water per hour, so the 2 litres on my back was very useful in getting me home along the quite lanes that take you back. We still had to stop at a petrol station to refill.

I also prefer to be self sufficient, I don't want to get to my last half bottle of water and start worrying where I'm gonna get a drink when it's 36 degrees out.
    Trouble being that the OP has rejected all those solutions.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • imafatman
    imafatman Posts: 351
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Trouble being that the OP has rejected all those solutions.

Then can we just let the thread die already? :lol:

Poor fellow is easily baited and lots of people on this forum relish such encounters and the end result is a farkin 15 pager on carrying water. Surely a world record!
  • Chimera2018
    Chimera2018 Posts: 106
    imafatman wrote:
    /facepalm this thread.

Thank god. At least somewhere here understands where I'm coming from. If this forum had a way to "Like" posts, I would give yours one.

I've actually already got a Camalbak rucksack, but I was looking at using a framebag instead because I thought it would be better, based on what I've read elsewhere. I used it a few months ago for an MTB ride, but I thought for road riding it would be better with nothing in my back. I've actually got two rucksacks that will take a bladder, but the other one is much larger than I need if I'm just carrying water in it, although it does have a better system for keeping your back ventilated.

Maybe I will look at alternative frame bags, based on what you said, and on the advice someone else gave earlier on. Thanks.
  • darkhairedlord
    you need a fremen still suit
    18u9eyn25afz0jpg.jpg
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    https://www.bike-bag.co.uk

Custom frame bag to beat the bulge.

https://sourceoutdoor.com/en/source-hydration/176-widepac-low-profile-hydration

Low profile bladder.

Strap through velcro loops to carry when off the bike.

Then let this thread die!
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    One of these and put the bladder in it?
    https://www.rutlandcycling.com/455375/p ... 1wQAvD_BwE

Not sure how easy it would be to drink from on the go but it does have the benefit of having a strap so you can take it with you. When I've used mine I've been quite conscious of it being nicked as it's large enough to fit valuables in. Not sure about having 3kg weight on the bars for handling though
  • fenix
    Was it the trek TT frame that has a water bladder inside the frame ?
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,946
    Fenix wrote:
    Was it the trek TT frame that has a water bladder inside the frame ?

Water inside a carbon frame? What if it leaks? :shock:

The older I get, the better I was.

• kingdav
    kingdav Posts: 417
    I've just read this thread from beginning to end. I can't believe the dune reference took 10 pages to surface, because that sounds like quite a practical solution, albeit fictitious, maybe that tech is nearing fruition/ripeness.

I will add into the mix, my everyday solution to carrying stuff to work. Panniers and a rack, quite a good way of carrying some bulky stuff away from the knee area. Plus you can attach straps to them and carry them around at castles and other attractions. Keeps the weight nice and low so the centre of gravity is good. I managed a 13hr pootle to Le Mans in the heat of France so loaded, though I confess I carried water in frame mounted bidons and bought some orangina on the way.
  • fenix
    kingdav wrote:
    , though I confess I bought some orangina on the way.

You monster ! Won't anyone think of the oceans !!??
  • kingdav
    Gosh, wouldn't do it now... back in 2015 it wasn't quite such an outlandish move.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Glass bottles usually.
  • kingdav
    I had to check to make sure.
    It was a can a0A2JZ0P.jpg
  • fenix
    I'm not sure that photo could BEEE any more French...
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,328
    Fenix wrote:
    I'm not sure that photo could BEEE any more French...
    Martini stripes on the bag replaced with branding for Ricard?