World Cup 2018

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,747
    mrfpb wrote:
    Putin's Pups having a rest day? Or just meeting a real team for the first time?

Meanwhile Saudi Arabia get there first goal of the tournament (is that first ever WC goal?)

Only three teams yet to score at this tournament.

Having a rest day - already qualified I believe so why try?

Rest and coming out winning in a week or so.

Pp have too much to lose not to win it. Pride, families, homes, bank balances, all references to them, etc etc etc
    Yeah yeah. A fiver says you're wrong :wink:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    mrfpb wrote:
    Putin's Pups having a rest day? Or just meeting a real team for the first time?

Meanwhile Saudi Arabia get there first goal of the tournament (is that first ever WC goal?)

Only three teams yet to score at this tournament.

Having a rest day - already qualified I believe so why try?

Rest and coming out winning in a week or so.

Pp have too much to lose not to win it. Pride, families, homes, bank balances, all references to them, etc etc etc

Uruguay were having a rest day. Suarez was passing the ball to his team mates to give them a chance, when he had an open goal in front of him.
  • It pains me to say it but England will lose to the first team that can defend our right sided attacks. We have no ability to attack down the left with Young in the team and are so one sided.

I'm don't think our superiority at set pieces will be enough alone.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    laurentian wrote:
    As mentioned earlier, expectations need to be managed and England have not really played anyone of note yet. However, I did expect us to beat Tunisia and Panama and they have (which is a significant step as far as England football goes!) So far so good and any win would have done for me yesterday. Radio 5, predictably given over to wall to wall coverage and speculation this morning. Beat Belgium and my expectation could go up a notch.

Belgium have already confirmed that they are putting out their second team - resting Lukakukukukukukuku and Hazard amongst others. They confirmed it before the England game.

But yes, agree completely - England haven't really beaten anyone of note in a real game for about 4 years, so hold onto to those expectations.

but before the Panama game no-one was saying England were going to beat them easily, it was all about how it was going to be a tense close difficult game, with lots of fouls, well they got the fouls bit right,

it all seems a bit after the effect to say well England havent played anyone of note now, and then you look at the record in major tournaments and England have mucked it up plenty of times against opposition of no note, so cant we just accept for once going into the final game of the group, England have actually won the first two games and have a bit of confidence for once :)

it doesnt mean anyone thinks they are going to go on and win it, reach the semi or even quarter finals but we arent having to pray to the footballing gods for once not to be on the first flight back home or for other teams to do England a favour.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,903
    It pains me to say it but England will lose to the first team that can defend our right sided attacks. We have no ability to attack down the left with Young in the team and are so one sided.

Traitor.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,956
    Shocking refereeing in the Portugal Iran game.
    Awful
    Not helped by the players conduct
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Frank Wilson
    Frank Wilson Posts: 930
    There were two hedgehogs playing footie in our back garden tonight. When one hedgehog scored, as is now the customary practice he lifted his shirt, well you can guess the rest.
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    It pains me to say it but England will lose to the first team that can defend our right sided attacks. We have no ability to attack down the left with Young in the team and are so one sided.

Where's the positivity?
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180

Always attack down the right when playing right to left, it looks better on the telly.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,348

Traitor.

It's fine, the team will play better once we have left this unelected supranational event.
  • mrfpb
    There were two hedgehogs playing footie in our back garden tonight. When one hedgehog scored, as is now the customary practice he lifted his shirt, well you can guess the rest.
    He was fined by FIFA?
    He revealed a pierced belly button and full body tattoo?
  • mrfpb
    There were two flies playing football on my breakfast plate.

One said to the other "You need to get your act together, were playing in the cup next week"
  • Dinyull wrote:

Where's the positivity?

Ashley Young & Raheem Stirling. Make a positive case for them starting over other players in the squad.
  • It pains me to say it but England will lose to the first team that can defend our right sided attacks. We have no ability to attack down the left with Young in the team and are so one sided.

Traitor.

Based on your political views England should be boycotting the World Cup like the Dutch, Italian, Scots & Welsh have :lol::lol::lol:
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    We have one of sons French ex classmates staying with us for a couple of days, they watched the France vs Denmark game, apparently it was completely f*ck awful!!
  • rick_chasey

Traitor.

Based on your political views England should be boycotting the World Cup like the Dutch, Italian, Scots & Welsh have :lol::lol::lol:

Traitor.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,834

Traitor.

No, he's being consistent. No British team has won a major football tournament since joining the EU - that can't be a coincidence but this will be the final tournament of failure as the home nations will no longer be prevented by EU legislation from attacking down the left and will once again be the world force they should be.
  • Stevo_666
    Bye bye Germany :)

And as icing on the cake, bottom of their Group. Somebody pinch me :D
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    Hahaha Germany.

It's a shame Argentina got through yesterday.
  • crispybug2
    Dear Germany

This is how it feels to be English

It smarts doesn’t it?

Bye
  • crispybug2
    If only there was a word to describe my enjoyment of the misery of the German football team!!
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,957
    The omission of Sane isn't looking so clever now, they really lacked the sort of pace and energy he usually plays with.
  • Stevo_666
    crispybug2 wrote:
    If only there was a word to describe my enjoyment of the misery of the German football team!!
    What's the German word for schadenfreude?
  • rick_chasey
    Ahahahhahahaha.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,907
    crispybug2 wrote:
    Dear Germany

This is how it feels to be Scottish.

It smarts doesn’t it?

Bye
    FTFY.
    (Historical reference, being so close, yet so far).
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • tailwindhome
    5*= Spain Belgium
    4*= Croatia
    3*= France Portugal Argentina Mexico Brazil
    2*= England Colombia Uruguay
    1*= Russia Denmark Switzerland Sweden Senegal Japan Serbia

Note - Uruguay are the only team I haven't actually watched yet.
    Note - I would have probably given Germany a 3* chance had I posted this this morning
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    I hope Sweden get turned over in the last 16.

Absolute fuck1ng dogshit.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • tailwindhome
    36268086_2144074052494755_7921146637131448320_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&_nc_eui2=AeG-4O82JiS2WOIe_FXZm21FG1x9XgWf7xxNlSiFWCwxUoIUpZKe5K6B4zOzdeSgtHVeWcmmjEskMd6LGMvxGK_3oXLfhzt_xr_dhYE2H3LSjw&oh=cb8592f1f5ed5a06e0d1cfad7c6e1775&oe=5BA4A2E4

Scenes!
    Switzerland out, NI back in.

https://www.facebook.com/theulsterfry/
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Kaiser Wilhelm, Ludwig van Beethoven, Brothers Grimm, The Scorpions, Friedrich Nietzsche, Adolf Hitler, Otto von Bismarck, Jan UIllrich, Rammstein, Werner Heisenberg, they've beaten them all! They've beaten them all! Angela Merkel, can you hear me? Angela Merkel... your boys took a hell of a beating! Your boys took a hell of a beating.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    ^^^^

Hilarious
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/