2019 Transfers - Rumours and Confirmations

Comments

• m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,342
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    M.R.M. wrote:
    Were I running MS, I'd have done the same. The realistic opportunity of winning a(ny) GT is worth far more financially than the moderate amount of stage wins Ewan will bring as a sprinter.
    Sprinters seem to be losing value more and more in modern cycling. In the past even GC teams took sprinters to the Tour etc.
    Sky have shown that it is no longer a viable option and you need to choose your objective well in advance.
    I haven't seen any interviews or anything but isn't there a chance it could be Ewen jumping rather than being forced out as is being implied here - presumably he has seen the writing on the wall at that team. He isn't going to get GT rides with MS, and will get no support if he does.
    It tends to usually be a mix of both. He was dropped from the Tour de France squad. That is usually the beginning of the end.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    ddraver wrote:
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    Caleb Ewen to Lotto-Soudal

Epic Fail for Mitchelton Scott...

Nah, they're moving toward being a GC team, with no space to carry a sprinter. Unless that's the fail you mean.

...well both really. One Giro doesnt make a GC team as it were.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,628
    Ewan being led out by Sieberg will be an amusing sight.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    G move on BBC but I also heard the same rumour about it being a classics team.

I saw this on the BBC and thought you should see it:

Geraint Thomas: Tour de France winner made offer by Polish team - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/45121708
  • twotoebenny
    twotoebenny Posts: 1,437

Well that won't be happening as Sieberg is off to Bahrain Merida
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157

Geraint Thomas: Tour de France winner made offer by Polish team - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/45121708
    I'm not buying the CCC thing.

Here's how it works, Thomas's agent and CCC collude. CCC make an offer which the agent can show to Sky as a counter offer. Agent leaks this to the media who write headlines which gives the impression that CCC are a big player in the market. Thomas gets the offer matched by Sky where he stays. CCC attract better riders than they were before.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    standard ish practice, right? the only team that doesn't appear to work with is quickstep (only possible exception was Cav in recent years and that wasn't as successful as both parties wanted).

at 32 he has what 2 years at the top as a GC potential contender?
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,100
    Rohan Dennis to Bahrain-Merida now confirmed.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • yorkshireraw

Well that won't be happening as Sieberg is off to Bahrain Merida

spoilsports
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,194
    Rumour (started by Kenny Pryde on twitter) of Harry Tanfield to Katusha
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,588
    RichN95 wrote:

Here's how it works, Thomas's agent and CCC collude. CCC make an offer which the agent can show to Sky as a counter offer. Agent leaks this to the media who write headlines which gives the impression that CCC are a big player in the market. Thomas gets the offer matched by Sky where he stays. CCC attract better riders than they were before.

Not to forget the new sponsor gets a lot of free publicity. It would be interesting if Sky called their bluff though!
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    Pross wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Not to forget the new sponsor gets a lot of free publicity. It would be interesting if Sky called their bluff though!

there goes the budget lololol
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,328
    Is there any word on which BMC or CCC riders will carry on in the new team after the merger - other than GVA?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • m.r.m.
    philbar72 wrote:
    standard ish practice, right? the only team that doesn't appear to work with is quickstep (only possible exception was Cav in recent years and that wasn't as successful as both parties wanted).

Not really. He could easily have another 4.
  • twotoebenny
    Rohan Dennis to Bahrain Merida
  • poptart242
    poptart242 Posts: 531
    r0bh wrote:
    Rumour (started by Kenny Pryde on twitter) of Harry Tanfield to Katusha

I absolutely love Tanfield but he's not getting over a speed bump at WT pace. Maybe if they keep him on a pretty low-pressure program over the first year or so he could develop... would still be great to see him given a chance though.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,565
    Kreuziger to Dimension Data
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    Pierre Rolland to Vital Concept
    Serge Pauwels to BMCCCC
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Stefan de Bod moves up from the Dimension Data for Qhubeka Conti team to the World Tour squad on a 2 year deal.

Starting with his 3rd successive u23 national time trial title in February, de Bod has racked up some impressive results this year, including victory at the u23 Strade Bianche race.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,114
    Gweeds wrote:
    Kreuziger to Dimension Data

Will they ever learn? They need to stop signing expensive riders on their way down, and get some cheaper riders on their way up.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,561
    Not sure it's been mentioned that forum favourite Arthur Vichot is off to Vital Concept.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,565
    I thought he was looking pretty vital
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • RichN95.
    Tony Martin to Lotto Jumbo
  • twotoebenny
    RichN95 wrote:

They mentioned this during binckbank commentary, they're putting together a good team there.
  • hommelbier
    hommelbier Posts: 1,555
    Anthony Turgis from Cofidis to Direct Energie
  • Simon Geschke to the CCC BMC lot.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • yorkshireraw
    RichN95 wrote:

They mentioned this during binckbank commentary, they're putting together a good team there.

Tony seems to have lost his way a bit at Katusha - not getting the TT results anymore and hasn't turned into the classics machine he was encouraged too (although always seemed reluctant about).

His big thing on going to Katusha was about getting on the Canyon TT bike (obv he would say that). Can't really see what he's bringing that Jumbo don't already have - super dom role in the sprint train?
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    M.R.M. wrote:
    philbar72 wrote:

Not really. He could easily have another 4.

doubtful. Contador was past it at 32, froome is creaking at 33. its a younger mans game. 28-32 for the tour winners, surely no?
  • m.r.m.
    Hard to say. Today's nutrition and training has greatly increased athletes longevity. Think Froome is still the man to beat if he only rides the Tour like he used to.
  • RichN95.
    Niki Terpstra is going to Direct Energie

A bit of a leftfield one that.