2019 Transfers - Rumours and Confirmations

1181920212224»

Comments

• m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,342
    And that is why you sign with Ineos as a GC rider. Cycling doesn't have the pay structure where you can make generational money everywhere to have the luxury of choosing the best athletic situation. Only the generational talents like MVDP or Sagan, Cancellara or Contador etc. can do that since they can win anywhere.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,113
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    My guess is that any arrangement Carapaz had made before this Giro has been ripped up now.
    My speculation is that Ratcliffe has seen Carapaz and said "want". Apparently they're having to buy Movistar out of the rest of his contract.

Carapaz is out of contract at the end of the year.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,565
    M.R.M. wrote:
    dish_dash wrote:
    Jumbo Visma want to sign Kittel apparently... lead out man for Dylan?
    Would Kittel go for that? Think he has quite the ego.

Quite the hairy legs and taste for cake at the moment.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    andyp wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    My guess is that any arrangement Carapaz had made before this Giro has been ripped up now.
    My speculation is that Ratcliffe has seen Carapaz and said "want". Apparently they're having to buy Movistar out of the rest of his contract.

Isn't the word that Sky started talking to him last year?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,863
    Radcliff is out for of control. It will stifle the racing even more
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Radcliff is out for of control. It will stifle the racing even more
    Yeah they made the giro bloody boring.

Oh wait.
  • m.r.m.
    Doubt Radcliffe has or wants any input on who they sign specifically. It's not like John Henry calls Paris Saint Germain to find out if Kylian Mbappe is available and how much the transfer sum would be.

He would empower people to do that for the team and in this case he has Brailsford and the entire structure to rely on. He didn't even have to fill crucial roles as is often the case when taking over an organization.
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,253
    iainf72 wrote:
    andyp wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Isn't the word that Sky started talking to him last year?

According to The Cycling Podcast (someone referred to this), he was approached by Sky after last years Giro. He is out of contract this year and Movi failed to move quick enough. He wasnt supposed to be in the pink jersey was he? So Sky/Ineos got in early. They are doing what USP used to do. See who the strong contenders were eg Heras and offer them better money.
    Radcliffe just fronts the money - Brailsford will do the managerial stuff and report back when required
  • gweeds
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    Accoirding to El Pais, the situation at Movistar is:

Quintana going to Arkea-Samsic
    Landa leaving - destination unspecified
    Valverde staying
    Carapaz unknown, but due to have contract talks with Movistar
    Soler unknown - contract up
    Mas joining from Quick-Step
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • m.r.m.
    My guess would be Movistar let everyone else go and keep Valverde and build around Carapaz. Quintana leaving frees up funds to pay Carapaz comparable to Ineos' offer. Allows Carapaz to earn equal money and keep GT leadership (in a Spanish team).
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,730
    RichN95 wrote:
    Accoirding to El Pais, the situation at Movistar is:

Quintana going to Arkea-Samsic
    Landa leaving - destination unspecified
    Valverde staying
    Carapaz unknown, but due to have contract talks with Movistar
    Soler unknown - contract up
    Mas joining from Quick-Step

Got some money to burn then.
  • gweeds
    I thought Valverde was retiring this year. Or is that next now?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    Gweeds wrote:
    I thought Valverde was retiring this year. Or is that next now?
    Two more seasons after this one.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/raci ... 021-412181
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • gweeds
    Fair play to still be racing in his 70's
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    Gweeds wrote:

hahah he will be able to race in the LVRC before retiring as a pro lolol
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,113
    Gweeds wrote:

His blood is just about to turn 18.
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    M.R.M. wrote:
    My guess would be Movistar let everyone else go and keep Valverde and build around Carapaz. Quintana leaving frees up funds to pay Carapaz comparable to Ineos' offer. Allows Carapaz to earn equal money and keep GT leadership (in a Spanish team).

According to CyclingPub Carapaz has indicated he would be happy to stay with Movistar if they want him and ignore any silly money offers from Ineos. He also indicated that he will ride the Vuelta as planned and not the TDF.. There was no mention at all about meeting with Brailsford this week or anyone else from Ineos to discuss a potential move.There,s been so much written this week you don,t know whats true and whats not. Guess we all have to wait for any official announcement.
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    I hope someone explains to him that what Ineos will pay him is what he's worth. So wherever he ends up they should be paying him close to that.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    iainf72 wrote:
    I hope someone explains to him that what Ineos will pay him is what he's worth. So wherever he ends up they should be paying him close to that.
    Being paid big money (and having every need/whim catered for) is not the only factor for a smart rider. Gilbert went to big-dollar BMC and it didn't work, moved to QS on lower salary with win bonuses and his mojo returned.

What will be Carapaz's position in the pecking order at Ineos when they have so many GC cards to play? He could end up being a Plan B rider at the Vuelta and mountain dom everywhere else until the abilities of Froome, Thomas et al wane.

He may be better off securing a significant pay rise from Movistar with promises of leadership at the big races. Having Sciandri there now may help with tactics and things will be simpler as Quintana and Landa move on while Valverde comes to terms with his gradual decline. And 2 years down the line he can review the situation and still possibly sign for Ineos for even more money.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,560
    Apparently Movistar also talking to Fuglsang...
  • m.r.m.
    There is great money to be made by a GC rider by just avoiding Froome/Ineos at the Tour and trying to win the other 2 GT's. If I were Carapaz, I'd leverage perceived Ineos interest into a big contract at Movistar and mainly go for Giro or Giro/Vuelta double.