2019 Transfers - Rumours and Confirmations

Comments

• inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    inseine wrote:
    So, Ewan to Lotto (whatever they're called) and no contract yet for Greipel.

Greipel sounds a bit fed up with the team, especially the way contract negotiations are going (or not going). I think it will be good fit for Ewan in a year or so, but Greipel still has plenty to offer, unless he's going to pass on his knowledge.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,154
    Here's a question, has any other rider won their first Tour stage on the Champs-Élysées sprint finish?
    Jean-Patrick Nazon. There may be others.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • inseine
    RichN95 wrote:
    Here's a question, has any other rider won their first Tour stage on the Champs-Élysées sprint finish?
    Jean-Patrick Nazon. There may be others.

A bit of googling tells me Jeff Pierce (who?) also won his one and only stage (and not much else to be fair) in Paris.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,111

Cavendish. Kittel.
  • inseine
    andyp wrote:

Cavendish. Kittel.

That can't be right.
  • andyp
    inseine wrote:
    andyp wrote:

Cavendish. Kittel.

That can't be right.

No it can't - I was reading the thread whilst on a conference call, so wasn't fully concentrated.

I thought Rich meant who had won on the Champs Elysee on their first attempt. That list would include Cavendish, Kittel and Groenewegen. But he meant who took their debut stage win on the C-E. That doesn't include Cavendish, who made it to the C-E on his third Tour and had already won nine Tour stages, and Kittel, who'd won three.
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133

Gilbert Glaus

No. Me Neither.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • arnuf
    arnuf Posts: 98

Robbie McEwen did the same. For the same team, actually.
  • type:epyt
    type:epyt Posts: 766
    arnuf wrote:

Robbie McEwen did the same. For the same team, actually.

Wrong ... Rabobank ...
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,646
    Had Stefano Zanini won stages before he won on the CE?
  • RichN95.
    A rumour of Richie Porte going to Trek

And Matt Brammeier has retired to take up a coaching position at British Cycling
  • andyp
    RichN95 wrote:
    Makes sense. Trek-Segafredo didn't replace Contador last season, so have the budget, and Mollema is a solid rider but he'll not win you much. He's been offered a three year deal apparently, which is a long contract for a 33 year old.
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,830
    Van Aert apparently close to Bahrain Merida. If he wants to focus on the classics then it wouldn’t be my first choice.
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,342
    Seems like a terrible choice.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • RichN95.
    So today's topical rumour has Greg van Avermaet going to Dimension Data along with the BMC bikes.
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,712
    And W V A to Jumbo Pro Cycling.
  • markwb79
    markwb79 Posts: 937
    RichN95 wrote:
    So today's topical rumour has Greg van Avermaet going to Dimension Data along with the BMC bikes.

Definitely the start of a big shuffle I think.

Dimension Data on BMC's
    Sunweb on Cervelo.
    Giant taking over the left overs of BMC? Or could imagine them going to Jumbo also.
    Scott Addict 2011
    Giant TCR 2012
  • RichN95 wrote:

Did I hear ITV say this had been confirmed on Sunday?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,692
    RichN95 wrote:

I'll forgive you because you often don't know what words mean, but no move will be confirmed until August 1, since it would be against the rules.

(unless the rules have been changed since last year).
  • RichN95 wrote:

I'll forgive you because you often don't know what words mean, but no move will be confirmed until August 1, since it would be against the rules.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/transfer-mechanics-richie-porte-agrees-two-year-deal-with-trek-segafredo/

So he will be wearing Trek kit next season
  • G Hincapie
    G Hincapie Posts: 78
    Greipel is worth a new contract at a decent team.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,542
    RichN95 wrote:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/transfer-mechanics-richie-porte-agrees-two-year-deal-with-trek-segafredo/

"Cycling News has learned" does not mean it has been confirmed though does it? In fact, in most cases "Cycling News has learned" means "Cycling News has made this up to get clicks" though in this case I wouldn't be surprised as it makes sense with BMC going and Trek lacking a GT contender.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,692
    Pross wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

"Cycling News has learned" does not mean it has been confirmed though does it? In fact, in most cases "Cycling News has learned" means "Cycling News has made this up to get clicks" though in this case I wouldn't be surprised as it makes sense with BMC going and Trek lacking a GT contender.

This is what I mean about knowing what words mean.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Read some rumours about CCC stepping up to save BMC team.

In french:

http://www.cyclismactu.net/news-route-c ... 76182.html.

Says a merger not expected - would they sponsor 2 teams? Could be nonsense.
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373

In french:

They couldn't title sponsor two teams could they? If ever there was an incentive to jump ship from BMC it would be that orange kit looming
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    A few things coming up if you google it.
  • RichN95.
    ShutupJens wrote:

In french:

They couldn't title sponsor two teams could they? If ever there was an incentive to jump ship from BMC it would be that orange kit looming
    Will the team be called BMCCCC?
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    RichN95 wrote:
    ShutupJens wrote:

In french:

Will the team be called BMCCCC?

No
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,342
    Sources say, they will merge with Katusha as well and be called BMCCCP
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023