Velo South 2018

Comments

• kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Tashman wrote:
    Seems they're still struggling to fill places here. I entered a competition but didn't win. I was however offered a special opportunity to still enter this SOLD OUT event

Not quite sure why they would badge it as sold out if it isn't - I don't think Velothon wales sold out this year. They always hold a few tickets back for 'specials' - my guess would be that the vast majority of the 15,000 places are taken - they closed general sale after around 48 hours - no reason to think that anything other than a a handful of places remain
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,260
    With a typical DNS rate of 15-20% at the very least for most events, if I was the organiser I would deffo overbook... there is a fortune to make by selling an extra 500 entries or so
    left the forum March 2023
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    I was getting Velo Wales emails right up to a few days before. L'Etape London is still marketing, Chiltern 100 and White Roads Classic also seem under sold. These big commercial operators are either miscalculating the potential numbers or just greedy to maximise profits.
  • milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
    mrfpb wrote:
    I was getting Velo Wales emails right up to a few days before. L'Etape London is still marketing, Chiltern 100 and White Roads Classic also seem under sold. These big commercial operators are either miscalculating the potential numbers or just greedy to maximise profits.

It’s probably a bit of both, the market has cooled a bit, and is heading back to the way it was 25 or so years ago, and the operators are greedy.
  • PostieJohn
    PostieJohn Posts: 1,105
    I wrote this for a friend yesterday, and figured it might be wise to share:-

I'm just back from doing a little bit of your Velo South route, the bit I worry about most.
    As I put 2 & 2 together I paid a little more attention than usual.

You'll leave the start and quickly turn right onto the Lavant straight.
    Then left onto the A285, today I joined that road about 2/3rds of the way up, giving me half a mile of 6-8% dead straight climbing.
    The other side is a lovely descent with a straight run off.
    For the next 2 miles you'll be 'climbing' in the loosest sense of the word as it's only 1 or 2%, but that's a constant.
    There's a short 7% kick, then 4% to the top.

That was just the preamble because this is the important bit:-

You're now at the top of Duncton Hill, I've mentioned it before.
    It's an arrow straight 12% descent.

Today I clocked 49mph going down, woo and indeed hoo - BUT

There's a full 180 degree bend at the bottom, someone will have an accident there, despite the stewards telling you to slow down.

I went round that bend, and the subsequent S-bend at 25mph, halving my speed in a very short distance.

After the S-bend you've got just enough time to think 'that was fun', before being surprised by another tight S-bend.

As said a pooh load of cyclists all excited and riding too fast at the start of an event, being confronted with the Duncton descent is asking for trouble.
    It's a great descent, really enjoyable, but it really needs respecting, and at least you won't have cars coming the other way.
  • That ^^^ makes me glad I'm in the early wave to set off.
  • milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
    PostieJohn wrote:
    I wrote this for a friend yesterday, and figured it might be wise to share:-

I'm just back from doing a little bit of your Velo South route, the bit I worry about most.
    As I put 2 & 2 together I paid a little more attention than usual.

You'll leave the start and quickly turn right onto the Lavant straight.
    Then left onto the A285, today I joined at road about 2/3rds of the way up, giving me half a mile of 6-8% dead straight climbing.
    The other side is a lovely descent with a straight run off.
    For the next 2 miles you'll be 'climbing' in the loosest sense of the word as it's only 1 or 2%, but that's a constant.
    There's a short 7% kick, then 4% to the top.

That was just the preamble because this is the important bit:-

You're now at the top of Duncton Hill, I've mentioned it before.
    It's an arrow straight 12% descent.

Today I clocked 49mph going down, woo and indeed hoo - BUT

There's a full 180 degree bend at the bottom, someone will have an accident there, despite the stewards telling you to slow down.

I went round that bend, and the subsequent S-bend at 25mph, halving my speed in a very short distance.

After the S-bend you've got just enough time to think 'that was fun', before being surprised by another tight S-bend.

As said a pooh load of cyclists all excited and riding too fast at the start of an event, being confronted with the Duncton descent is asking for trouble.
    It's a great descent, really enjoyable, but it really needs respecting, and at least you won't have cars coming the other way.

You’re nearly right. The actual route on the day, will turn up Kennel hill, then along the road by the golf course, the climb up to Duncton is steady, and that descent afterwards is fine, as long as you’re aware of the sharp turn at the end of it. The majority of the rest of the ride is fairly mundane, and the climb at South Harting, is steady, but steep.
  • PostieJohn

You’re nearly right. The actual route on the day, will turn up Kennel hill, then along the road by the golf course, the climb up to Duncton is steady, and that descent afterwards is fine, as long as you’re aware of the sharp turn at the end of it. .
    For you to be right, the route map would have to be wrong.

and isn't the rest of it exactly what I told my friend?
  • davep1
    davep1 Posts: 836
    The route map avoids Kennel Hill. There's a gentle climb from Halnaker to the turning for Selhurstpark Road, but nothing to worry about. I also think Duncton could be tricky, it's wide and straight, then it's more two 90 degree left handers rather than a continuous 180, and there are usually cars off the road there in the winter months. There's a right hander, a small rise through some buildings and then another shorter drop with a right hander at the bottom.
    There's a slight wiggle after a descent before Fittleworth which is rough and could be a problem. It isn't much fun when there are cars trying to squeeze by.
    I can't see any problems after that until Spithandle Lane after Ashington, it's the A283 and A29 for a big chunk. Spithandle can be bad, there's an s bend after a bit of a descent and another left right sequence later, both of these can be gravelly. This road is narrow so potentially faster groups overtaking slower riders could cause problems.
    After that reasonably wide roads to Partridge Green. Crossing the A272 is a problem normally but I am assuming they will close it here or have martials stopping the traffic every now and then, maybe?
    Then its ok until just after Barns Green. There's a long downhill here and a very sharp left hander.
    I think the rest of the route is ok, and the field should be stretching out by the time they get this far.
    I did the South Harting climb last weekend for the first time, I'd say it was easier than the Duncton climb but not dissimilar. There was a sportive heading down it on Sunday, the hill goes straight into South Harting with an angled junction and with the FOS traffic heading the other way it all seemed a bit lively round there.
    After that it is a big road heading south mainly downhill for a few miles, so if you have anything left this could be a good place to claw back some time. The villages just before the finish could also be a squeeze.
  • PostieJohn
    Not to mention Spithandle Lane has never been repaired since 5 years of constant bombardment by the Germans.
    Sure it was odd to target that one lane, so odd in fact nobody has got round to fixing it.

One of the hardest things to do, on a bike, in West Sussex, is go down the Harting ascent and turn left at the bottom. lol.
  • davep1
    They made an effort at patching some of Spithandle in November, bits were lovely and shiny and smooth and black for a while...the rest of it as flaky as ever
  • Valedoc44
    Valedoc44 Posts: 51
    I guess I’ll have to see if they release any more general entry places as the official transfer closure date was yesterday.
  • mrfpb wrote:

It’s probably a bit of both, the market has cooled a bit, and is heading back to the way it was 25 or so years ago, and the operators are greedy.

Meanwhile audaxes are becoming busier. As the organiser of the Beacon RCC's audaxes, I have noticed an increasing number of new audaxers that have switched from sportives because they are disenchanted with the quality and cost especially where commercial operators are concerned. Ironically, this disenchantment with events organised by companies such as CSM are good for smaller operations.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498

Meanwhile audaxes are becoming busier. As the organiser of the Beacon RCC's audaxes, I have noticed an increasing number of new audaxers that have switched from sportives because they are disenchanted with the quality and cost especially where commercial operators are concerned. Ironically, this disenchantment with events organised by companies such as CSM are good for smaller operations.

Not surprised really - £15-20 for a sportive where they give you some food/water on the course seems reasonable.. after all, they have had to hire a venue and mark the route out - plus provide some support ... ramping that up to >£30 is a bit much for me - although I can appreciate it if it's a closed roads event.

Audaxes are one of those weird cycling things where you're either in the crowd (beard, socks and sandles) or not .. and if you're not, it's a bit strange joining in - even if they are all nice ppl
  • ugo.santalucia
    Slowbike wrote:

Audaxes are one of those weird cycling things where you're either in the crowd (beard, socks and sandles) or not .. and if you're not, it's a bit strange joining in - even if they are all nice ppl

I think you are stuck in the 80s...

You will find that these days half the field is made out of Rapha clad middle agers riding thousands of quid of carbon bikes... as for the sandals, I have thus far seen one pair... it was 30 degrees and to be fair they did seem a good idea.

Joining an Audax, you might find yourself riding alongside Steve Abraham (although he doesn't do many anymore) or Jasmijn Muller or other extraordinary UK athletes... in the Sportive circus, I've always been surrounded by wanna-be, but no-one that was actually the real deal.

Audax is a very cohesive world, with bags of camaraderie, sportives are full of unnecessarily competitive folks who seemingly hate each other

As for Phil's Audax events... having ridden his recent Kidderminster Killer, all I can say is OUCH! :D
  • slowbike
    Slowbike wrote:

I think you are stuck in the 80s...

You will find that these days half the field is made out of Rapha clad middle agers riding thousands of quid of carbon bikes... as for the sandals, I have thus far seen one pair... it was 30 degrees and to be fair they did seem a good idea.

Joining an Audax, you might find yourself riding alongside Steve Abraham (although he doesn't do many anymore) or Jasmijn Muller or other extraordinary UK athletes... in the Sportive circus, I've always been surrounded by wanna-be, but no-one that was actually the real deal.

Audax is a very cohesive world, with bags of camaraderie, sportives are full of unnecessarily competitive folks who seemingly hate each other

As for Phil's Audax events... having ridden his recent Kidderminster Killer, all I can say is OUCH! :D

I have done one ... an aAa one ... oops - didn't realise that it was hilly! I'm not adverse to doing them - just don't have the time atm...
  • Brakeless
    Brakeless Posts: 865
    Slowbike wrote:

As others have said this is total b*ollocks and obviously written by someone with very little experience of Audaxes.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Slowbike wrote:
    just don't have the time atm...

Typical excuse for being a couch potato... :wink:
  • slowbike
    Brakeless wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:

As others have said this is total b*ollocks and obviously written by someone with very little experience of Audaxes.

It was meant - but obviously not taken - as tongue in cheek. Same for all sportive riders being wanna-be-pros ... but there you go - we're allowed to stereotype people we're not - but not those we are - or perhaps want to be ... ok..
  • slowbike
    Slowbike wrote:
    just don't have the time atm...

Typical excuse for being a couch potato... :wink:

Chance would be a fine thing!
  • Any news on the local hostility to Velo South in the Harting area? I actually live in the Milland valley on the route and am out regularly twice a week on my "Dawes Hybrid" cycling about 80 miles a week. I did stop in a pub in Harting last week and got some dirty looks. No verbals but lots of mumblings. I didn't stay long as I felt uncomfortable definitely hostile. Has anyone else experienced this, I am pretty elderly and don't want to get in any punch ups. Personally, and it's only the view of an OAP cyclist I think the road should stay open and we space ourselves out more. This should stop the locals getting the right hump and making motorists antagonistic. Any one else had water thrown at them from passing cars? Good luck on the 23rd. I can't wait. I have already done half the circuit but that Harting hill is a killer watch out at the bottom.
  • I agree with Kingaroo I am nearly 80 now but still get out every week on my trusty Dawes Hybrid, God knows how many times I have fiddled with it. Cycling does all seem to have got rather heavily commercialized now and my guess it is just for money too. Do you know you can place bets on the winner of Velo South on the internet? Next it will be the Mafia running the show.Trouble is soon as money is mentioned things seem to turn nasty and it takes the fun out of it. I live in the Milland Valley right on the Velo South 2018 route and have almost finished cycling the whole route, for practice.I split it into three because of the heat which for an old un like me is a killer. In the last drought of 1976 my Wife and I and a load of mates cycled right round the Isle of Wight staying at Youth Hostels. Trouble is there were so many cyclists out that they ran out of bed spaces and had to open local schools with camp beds for us to sleep on. But fun eh! and fun is the word for Velo 18... it's not world war three for Gods sake its just a leisurely cycle jaunt around Sussex keep the roads open, I don't mind cars I always wear "Dayglow". Stop a while and enjoy the views. Speak to the locals but please do not wind them up, we may want to come back again...Good luck folks, drink plenty and take it steady.
  • davep1
    ... I have already done half the circuit but that Harting hill is a killer watch out at the bottom.

Er, fairly sure we are going up the hill after South Harting, rather down it into the village. I say this because I recce'd the route a few weeks ago, and there was another sportive coming down it. There's a potentially tricky junction at the bottom and another as you start the climb on the left. The guys coming down it that day were doing a lot of shouting.
  • slowbike
    Any news on the local hostility to Velo South in the Harting area?
    I've heard someone is trying to drive cyclists off the road in Compton. With any luck, a rider with a camera will catch the culprit and the police can have a word. Whilst commuting I've not noticed anything untoward (more than usual) - if anything there's been a bit more tolerance - but this is at commute times...
    Personally, and it's only the view of an OAP cyclist I think the road should stay open and we space ourselves out more. This should stop the locals getting the right hump and making motorists antagonistic.
    I disagree - with the numbers of riders - 15k - it would be impractical to have the roads open with the cyclists on them at the same time. We would effectively close the road as there would never be an opportunity to get past.
    I know many riders are doing this because it is a closed road ride - therefore no "angry" motorist who just can't wait to get past - Ok, looks like we're going to have a handful of "angry residents" instead.

Interestingly - last check is 800 members of the "Stop Velo South" FB group and 1000 signatures to their poll. They want a "democratic vote" on the closed roads & route - well - clearly even if you added those two figures up - that's <2000 - easily outweighed by the 15k riders, let alone their friends/family and supportive locals (of which there are many).
    I appreciate that there will be some inconvenience on the day - but those against it are just driving hysteria rather than rational thinking. Before getting a place, we were going to be one of those affected by the closed roads - didn't worry us in the slightest - we'd just carry on as normal around the closures - pretty much like we do when there are any big events at Goodwood motor circuit which closes village roads and volume of traffic renders the local area gridlocked.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Slowbike wrote:
    I disagree - with the numbers of riders - 15k - it would be impractical to have the roads open with the cyclists on them at the same time. We would effectively close the road as there would never be an opportunity to get past.

That's an egg/chicken scenario... they only have 15K becasue they close the roads, if they didn't close the roads, they'd struggle to make 1.5K
  • slowbike
    Slowbike wrote:

That's an egg/chicken scenario... they only have 15K becasue they close the roads, if they didn't close the roads, they'd struggle to make 1.5K

Absolutely - but that tells you of the desire/demand for motor traffic free riding - people are willing to pay for something "different" hence (in the early days at least) the Wiggle French sportives booked out very quickly and closed roads sportives are similar. Anyone can get up and go for a ride with a few friends on open roads.
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    That SVS group is a cesspit of hysteria. They are spending far longer winding each other up over this than the event was ever going to affect them.

But the thing is, i agree with them that it's a fairly major loss of liberty to be forced upon them. And that the people most affected will see the least benefit - Chicester & Goodwood locale will see a spike in bookings/meals yet remain unencumbered by road closures. The organisation seems a bit lackluster. Failure to sufficiently notify those affected and some of the road closure timings are questionable - some of the roads at the end of the course are closed hours before even a pro rider would make it to there.

The long and short of it - I don't think these sorts of events do 'us' any favors in the long haul. It's a nice day out for 15k but a PITA for alot more. It gives plenty of additional ammunition to the anti-cycling brigade and may even encourage more members.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Peat wrote:
    The long and short of it - I don't think these sorts of events do 'us' any favors in the long haul. It's a nice day out for 15k but a PITA for alot more. It gives plenty of additional ammunition to the anti-cycling brigade and may even encourage more members.

In essence this is it.... if people want to experience traffic free roads, there are ways without having to close the roads... ride very early in the morning... go out at 5 AM on a sunday morning, back by 8 and you're unlikely to count more than a dozen cars... you can do so from mid may to mid August or even further if you are happy to ride in the dark.
    Want to experience peloton riding? Enter a race on a closed circuit of which there are plenty

The idea that someone wants to experience something that looks like a closed road Tour de France stage and therefore pays money to impose road closures on tens of thousands is a bit rich and a bit arrogant... it's the typical sense of entitlement that is so widespread among the latest generation of road cyclists...
  • slowbike
    If you go out at 5 and back by 8 - you're not likely to have managed 100 miles are you ...

I don't see that a cyclist paying ££ to enter a closed road event is arrogant in the slightest - they just see an offer and decide if they want to take the organisers up on that offer - assuming that the organisers have done everything they need to do to provide for the event.

The organisers discuss the event with the local council(s) and between them, they decide if it's something the area can and should do.

I know it's encouraging quite a number to do their first ton - something they'd be less encouraged to do if they had to encounter the sunday traffic my wife had to put up with yesterday.

One way to get more motorists to accept motorists is to make them cyclists first - and a good way to do that is remove one thing they "fear" from the roads ...

I do agree with Peat though - the public face of the organisation seems a bit lack luster - whether that's just because they can't disseminate information or don't have it I don't know - but not knowing exactly how the road closures are going to affect you doesn't help - ie where/how can anyone cross the course with a car?
  • ugo.santalucia
    Slowbike wrote:
    If you go out at 5 and back by 8 - you're not likely to have managed 100 miles are you ...

I know it's encouraging quite a number to do their first ton - something they'd be less encouraged to do if they had to encounter the sunday traffic my wife had to put up with yesterday.

I have no evidence that since the existence of "closed roads" events more folks have entered the exclusive 100 miles club...

Even if that was the case, who cares if more people do 100 miles rides once a year on closed roads... we certainly need more cycle commuters, but I doubt we need more lycra clad club riders... if these folks only want to ride on closed roads, they certainly will be too afraid of tackling London traffic.

As Peat says, all these events do is create a form of "elitism" which non cyclists see as arrogance and respond accordingly...