Velo South 2018

Comments

• milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
    Well, I've applied to join, will see if they actually want a sensible discussion or not.

Based on experience, I’d say not. It’s a “race” where there will be 3000 “elite riders” and everyone else will be “pretty quick” as well. We are all “idiot cyclists, who don’t pay road tax, or insurance” and one of them wants a refund on his “road tax, and insurance” for the day he can’t use his car. You couldn’t make some of this stuff up.
  • Well, I've applied to join, will see if they actually want a sensible discussion or not.

Based on experience, I’d say not. It’s a “race” where there will be 3000 “elite riders” and everyone else will be “pretty quick” as well. We are all “idiot cyclists, who don’t pay road tax, or insurance” and one of them wants a refund on his “road tax, and insurance” for the day he can’t use his car. You couldn’t make some of this stuff up.
    Fully expecting that, yeah :mrgreen:
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Well, I've applied to join, will see if they actually want a sensible discussion or not.

Thats Brilliant !
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I've asked to join ... we've got to be kind and courteous with no hate speech or bullying ...
  • slowbike
    I've been approved :)
  • slowbike
    Most of the objection seems to be centered around Ifold - which seems to be mostly made up of private estate with just one public road along the south of the estate. Not much option for bypassing that without a more significant change in the course.

What we haven't seen yet - is the proposed details of the road closures - ie the course crossing points.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,845
    https://www.velosouth.com/the-route/road-closures/

It seems very odd why you would close roads from 0915 around South Harting and Compton, or 0815 around Blackdown... Unless there are official shorter ride routes in place that head north from around Petworth to head to Blackdown.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • slowbike
    First rider off at 0700 - assume you're going to get some quick riders at say ~25mph - Harting is @85 miles = 3.4hrs - so you're going to need to close the road in advance, by 10 at the very latest ... give people time to clear off the route and you can take that back to 0915 quite easily - Just my fag packet calcs.
  • milemuncher1
    Slowbike wrote:
    First rider off at 0700 - assume you're going to get some quick riders at say ~25mph - Harting is @85 miles = 3.4hrs - so you're going to need to close the road in advance, by 10 at the very latest ... give people time to clear off the route and you can take that back to 0915 quite easily - Just my fag packet calcs.

25s might be a push given the early ‘terrain’ but you’re probably right to within about half an hour.
  • milemuncher1
    I’ve put a little training ride on using the route, on Saturday, it looks like it’s getting some ‘interest’

jTGDdmT.jpg

:lol:
  • slowbike
    they picked that up in SVS and were suggesting some disruption to show the cyclists that they weren't welcome ...

I'm amazed at how small minded some people can be!
  • milemuncher1
    Slowbike wrote:
    they picked that up in SVS and were suggesting some disruption to show the cyclists that they weren't welcome ...

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,584
    Slowbike wrote:

I'm not amazed anymore, it seems to be the mass response now, small mindedness is the norm sadly.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • slowbike
    Daniel B wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:

I'm not amazed anymore, it seems to be the mass response now, small mindedness is the norm sadly.

Perhaps if we were allowed to go back to hating the"other" minority groups then cyclists wouldn't get it so bad ?
  • milemuncher1
    Slowbike wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:

Perhaps if we were allowed to go back to hating the"other" minority groups then cyclists wouldn't get it so bad ?

Some of the inbreds on the SVS page are in a different league.
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    Apparently, the worst thing about Ride London for Surrey residents is the cyclists 'practicing for Ride London every weekend'.
  • milemuncher1
    Peat wrote:
    Apparently, the worst thing about Ride London for Surrey residents is the cyclists 'practicing for Ride London every weekend'.

We’ll I’m sure the people running the numerous hostelries en route wouldn’t agree. There’s always loads of cyclists ( spending money ) in certain pubs, along the route, on the weekends, and as the ride London gets closer, that’s more and more the case.
  • slowbike
    Peat wrote:

We’ll I’m sure the people running the numerous hostelries en route wouldn’t agree. There’s always loads of cyclists ( spending money ) in certain pubs, along the route, on the weekends, and as the ride London gets closer, that’s more and more the case.
    Yes ... but because I'm a gardener/farm worker/other non-direct worker* living along the route I can't get to my customers because the hordes of cyclists - doesn't matter that my customers can afford to pay me for additional work due to the fact that they or their customers are gaining additional work due to these hordes of cyclists frequenting the area and spending money ...

*I'm none of these
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    I’ve put a little training ride on using the route, on Saturday, it looks like it’s getting some ‘interest’

jTGDdmT.jpg

Just seen this, the letsride url doesn't appear to work, not that I can do it as I'm working.

I'd suggest getting as many riders as possible taking part to fit their video recording gadgets in case there is "organised trouble" from the facebook group, so if it gets silly you have evidence to hand in.

Of course, this could simply be a "fake" ride, to bait the facegroup lot into wasting their Saturday. :lol:
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • milemuncher1

jTGDdmT.jpg

Just seen this, the letsride url doesn't appear to work, not that I can do it as I'm working.

I'd suggest getting as many riders as possible taking part to fit their video recording gadgets in case there is "organised trouble" from the facebook group, so if it gets silly you have evidence to hand in.

Of course, this could simply be a "fake" ride, to bait the facegroup lot into wasting their Saturday. :lol:

The links never work properly, it’s annoying.
  • davep1
    davep1 Posts: 836
    I found this charmer when I googled Velosouth - https://uk.gofundme.com/stop-velo-south. He's set up a fundraising site to stop the ride, apparently thousands of people are going to be cut off from the rest of the country!

He's an admin on the FB page. Only one donation so far.
  • milemuncher1
    DaveP1 wrote:
    I found this charmer when I googled Velosouth - https://uk.gofundme.com/stop-velo-south. He's set up a fundraising site to stop the ride, apparently thousands of people are going to be cut off from the rest of the country!

The only donation is from him as well. Sad sad sad:
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,584
    DaveP1 wrote:

That's just made my day, chuffing hilarious :lol:
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    How did the recce ride go yesterday?
    How many riders turned up?
    Were the villagers ready and waiting with pitchforks, glass shard littered roads and tractor blockades?
    Any video footage worth handing over to the local plods to demonstrate what this sabotage facebook group did, to help protect the actual event?
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • milemuncher1
    How did the recce ride go yesterday?
    How many riders turned up?
    Were the villagers ready and waiting with pitchforks, glass shard littered roads and tractor blockades?
    Any video footage worth handing over to the local plods to demonstrate what this sabotage facebook group did, to help protect the actual event?

A couple of locals turned out in Ifold / Plaistow and they stood by their walls with their arms crossed, in disapproval, or so I’m told. I didn’t actually make the ride, as I had a couple of technical issues, which lead to me missing the train up to Chichester. Not to worry, I’ll try again soon.
  • milemuncher1
    https://www.letsride.co.uk/rides/velo-south-route

I’m going to try again. Hopefully the link works this time. I’ll have to make absolutely sure the bike is checked with a fine tooth comb in advance this time.
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    DaveP1 wrote:

We should all donate a penny and leave a nice message too.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat

I’m going to try again. Hopefully the link works this time. I’ll have to make absolutely sure the bike is checked with a fine tooth comb in advance this time.

Did this attempt happen? Another day of brutal temp and little breeze yesterday would have made that ride rather taxing at much more than pootle pace and even then, you would need access to plenty of water bottle top-ups (which https://www.refill.org.uk/get-the-refill-app/ might help with).
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • milemuncher1

Did this attempt happen? Another day of brutal temp and little breeze yesterday would have made that ride rather taxing at much more than pootle pace and even then, you would need access to plenty of water bottle top-ups (which https://www.refill.org.uk/get-the-refill-app/ might help with).

Not this time either, it was too hot / humid to run it as a group ride. I pulled it on safety grounds. I did a 100 miler down along the coast instead. I’ll try to do a few of these in August ( after the PRLS is out of the way).
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,400
    Seems they're still struggling to fill places here. I entered a competition but didn't win. I was however offered a special opportunity to still enter this SOLD OUT event