Velo South 2018

Comments

• ...whereas I couldn’t really give a monkeys about a routes “meaning” or “direction”.

I just enjoy the chance to go for a challenging (to me) ride, on closed roads.

Each to their own.
  • milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
    kingrollo wrote:
    its more a case of some people just dont want the event to thrive.

Rewind 10 years to 2008... ALL sportives but one were run by local clubs for the benefit of cyclists, with no profits associated other than some money for charity. The Dragon Ride was already a "Granfondo" run for money by Mr Lunardi.
    Then a group of professionals sniffed the potential to make money and began creating events out of nothing and more importantly they began buying out volunteer run events (Chiltern 100, Cornwall Tor, the list is endless..), doubled the entry fee for the same service... within a few years half of these events disappeared, as not financially viable... so that was not enough, the new concept of the "closed road" multimillion pound event was born.
    The net result is that very decent events with entries running in the hundreds like the "Polka dot Challenge" (anyone remember it?) based on classic and frankly amazing routes with a bit of heritage (Milk Race anyone?) no longer exist... but we have a number of these anonymous events that boost themselves as the ultimate challenge using a language typically reserved to Arctic expeditions, run on a number of random lanes, as allowed by local councils, without any particular meaning or any particular direction... routes that retrace themselves into snake-like shapes to restrict as much as possible the area they cover, while trying to hit the magic figure of 100 miles. Totally pointless routes.

Do I have a problem with this? Running the risk to sound like a nostalgic Brexiteer, as a matter of fact I do.

Without sounding like a ‘I remember when all this was trees’ merchant, you’re right, and this is the main reason why I very rarely ride ‘Sportives’.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    kingrollo wrote:
    its more a case of some people just dont want the event to thrive.

Rewind 10 years to 2008... ALL sportives but one were run by local clubs for the benefit of cyclists, with no profits associated other than some money for charity. The Dragon Ride was already a "Granfondo" run for money by Mr Lunardi.
    Then a group of professionals sniffed the potential to make money and began creating events out of nothing and more importantly they began buying out volunteer run events (Chiltern 100, Cornwall Tor, the list is endless..), doubled the entry fee for the same service... within a few years half of these events disappeared, as not financially viable... so that was not enough, the new concept of the "closed road" multimillion pound event was born.
    The net result is that very decent events with entries running in the hundreds like the "Polka dot Challenge" (anyone remember it?) based on classic and frankly amazing routes with a bit of heritage (Milk Race anyone?) no longer exist... but we have a number of these anonymous events that boost themselves as the ultimate challenge using a language typically reserved to Arctic expeditions, run on a number of random lanes, as allowed by local councils, without any particular meaning or any particular direction... routes that retrace themselves into snake-like shapes to restrict as much as possible the area they cover, while trying to hit the magic figure of 100 miles. Totally pointless routes.

Do I have a problem with this? Running the risk to sound like a nostalgic Brexiteer, as a matter of fact I do.

Not really how sure relevant all that is to be honest. Cycling has got more popular and the money men have moved for the pound of flesh. However closed road sportives are pretty popular and know loads of people who did velo birmingham who were to afraid to ride on the road - one guy i know trained totally on a gym bike and spin classes.

My club membership is £18 a year - we go out every sunday, there training rides most nights of the week, time trails at nominal cost - we enter loads of local ish sportive at an average cost of £20 - club membership is thriving.

For someone of my ability a closed road sportive is a chance not to miss - velo birmingham was the best thing I have ever done cycling wise - a viewpoint echoed by the vast majority who did it.

I really can't see why come on here with quite frankly very convoluted reasoning as to why this is event isn't good for the sport.....its not everyones cup of tea granted - and if you have a real beef lets hear it - but don't twist words, gripe just to try and prove a point - its embarrassing.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,248
    kingrollo wrote:
    and if you have a real beef lets hear it - but don't twist words, gripe just to try and prove a point - its embarrassing.

I thought I made my beef quite clear... it's the Tesco effect... the giant supermarket comes to town and all the small businesses have to close down.

What is worse is that many of these giant events do not survive for very long (Velothon, Etape Cymru... ) as they are too expensive to run and when they go they leave nothing behind.

I think I can point to a handful of independent, profit-free sportives of a decent enough size left in the country... there were probably 50 just ten years ago (call it the hey day).

Obviously you might or might not care...
    left the forum March 2023
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo wrote:
    and if you have a real beef lets hear it - but don't twist words, gripe just to try and prove a point - its embarrassing.

I thought I made my beef quite clear... it's the Tesco effect... the giant supermarket comes to town and all the small businesses have to close down.

O.

Ok thats maybe a fair point - but lets look at what else you said:-

1.The monies raised for charities don't benefit local people

2.The organisers should pay to resurface the roads

3.The routes go down random lanes

4.The routes don't have direction !!!!

5.It makes no difference being on closed roads

6.The roads that are closed are typically depressing
  • ugo.santalucia
    kingrollo wrote:

1 and 2 were comments on how to get the locals on board, if organising proves problematic. You don't have to resurface 100 miles... but maybe fill the holes and resurface a few metres of badly damaged roads?

3 and 4 simply means that the route is chosen based on how easy it is to get permission to close the roads... so it is a compromise... looking at Velo Birmingham, it doesn't seem to me people got to see the best of the area. You can route them to Ironbridge and from there to Church Stretton and the Long Mynd and back in just over 100 miles and it's a much more rewarding ride... with a 9/10 in Simon Warren's book thrown in for good measure. Instead, they got to go aimlessly up and down the area.

5 and 6 means that if you route people mostly on country lanes, it makes very little difference if the roads are open or closed.

Somebody earlier even commented about people only venturing out on closed roads because they are scared of traffic... so what do they do for 364 days of the year? Turbo?
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo wrote:

1 and 2 were comments on how to get the locals on board, if organising proves problematic. You don't have to resurface 100 miles... but maybe fill the holes and resurface a few metres of badly damaged roads?

3 and 4 simply means that the route is chosen based on how easy it is to get permission to close the roads... so it is a compromise... looking at Velo Birmingham, it doesn't seem to me people got to see the best of the area. You can route them to Ironbridge and from there to Church Stretton and the Long Mynd and back in just over 100 miles and it's a much more rewarding ride... with a 9/10 in Simon Warren's book thrown in for good measure. Instead, they got to go aimlessly up and down the area.

5 and 6 means that if you route people mostly on country lanes, it makes very little difference if the roads are open or closed.

Somebody earlier even commented about people only venturing out on closed roads because they are scared of traffic... so what do they do for 364 days of the year? Turbo?

I reckon if Velo Birmingham had go up the long Mynd - youd be on here moaning that it should have gone up the other way.

Judging by your comments on here - theres probably a reason why those other events you mention don't run anymore - youd have been on your own !!!!

Why don't organise a not for profit 'Happy Sportive' - sounds like you need it.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Well, I guess with an attack "ad personam" you settle the argument, don't you?

Enjoy the rest of the discussion about "that terrifying 80 meters climb!"
  • kingrollo

Just saying your moanin about nothing.

After 91 miles - that climb will be quite daunting for a limited ability cyclist like myself - so will continue to discuss it as I see fit.
  • milemuncher1
    kingrollo wrote:

Just saying your moanin about nothing.

After 91 miles - that climb will be quite daunting for a limited ability cyclist like myself - so will continue to discuss it as I see fit.

Quite right. The South Harting climb isn’t much to the “I’ve been up ‘the Alpe’ yeah” brigade, but after 90 miles ( and I’ve ridden the whole velo south route ) it’s going to test most of the riders on the event.
  • GavinBos
    GavinBos Posts: 1
    I've got a place at Velo South 2018 but am no longer able to participate. I'm able to transfer the registration to someone else. Anyone interested?
  • d4sloth
    d4sloth Posts: 1
    I also cannot attend having booked a place. if anyone would like the transfer my booking, PM me :)
  • milemuncher1
    There seems to be quite a few more people pulling out of the event than I’d anticipated. If it carries on at this rate, I’ll be doing the event with about 5 other people :lol:
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    Myself and my brother-in-law will be both doing it still.
  • There seems to be quite a few more people pulling out of the event than I’d anticipated. If it carries on at this rate, I’ll be doing the event with about 5 other people :lol:

Ask if you can upload their ride stats to your account
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Local rag are sensationalizing it now... several pieces on how "residents are up in arms" ... (both of them - residents, not arms)
    https://www.chichester.co.uk/news/contr ... -1-8542911
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,583
    Slowbike wrote:
    Local rag are sensationalizing it now... several pieces on how "residents are up in arms" ... (both of them - residents, not arms)
    https://www.chichester.co.uk/news/contr ... -1-8542911

Oh dear, a wannabe daily hate mail........

Villagers in Plaistow and Ifold hit out this week amid fears they would be trapped in their own homes

TRAPPED!

As if completely surrounded by a bush fire, or perhaps located near an erupting volcano, or the victims of an earhquake perhaps?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • shipley
    shipley Posts: 549
    I live on the route and will be out cycling that morning as usual. It’ll be interesting to see how they handle local riders of which there are loads around here. Everyone I know not doing that ride, and who plan to be out that day will be riding part of the route as part of their normal Sunday rides.
  • slowbike
    and there was a chap "near Petersfield" who (well - his wife/partner) is expecting a second child - last time (3 years ago) they had to rush to hospital and a midwife had to rush to them - and he's concerned that they won't be able to with the road closed for a day ...
    Ok - so the emergency services have been consulted and are happy with the proposed closures and access - I dare say that it'll be quicker for the emergency services as the roads will be closed to motor traffic !

I can understand the concern of residents as the details of closure hasn't been given - ie one lane closure towards the latter part of the ride would probably be sufficient - but may not be practical - I don't know - but there's enough notice and councils have been consulted.

15k riders + hangers on = significant income for the hospitality business at what is usually a quieter time of year - that usually has a knock on effect for complementary businesses too. Quite happy with voicing concerns over access, but the apparent hysteria over it is just OTT... If I wasn't riding it (which I wasn't planning on doing) then I would've been affected too - I would've just gone out for the day or used a road out that wasn't closed - assuming they're letting traffic cross the closed route.. or may even just stayed at home - it's one day ...
  • slowbike
    Shipley wrote:
    I live on the route and will be out cycling that morning as usual. It’ll be interesting to see how they handle local riders of which there are loads around here. Everyone I know not doing that ride, and who plan to be out that day will be riding part of the route as part of their normal Sunday rides.
    I don't think they want non-participants riding ...
    For locals travelling by bicycle, it is recommended to dismount at the road closure and take care when crossing the route, again using an official crossing point where available.
    ... but quite how they'll police that - RL100 didn't and they had loads of (volunteer) marshals around.
  • shipley
    I don’t intend on being belligerent or anything but many of our rides end via Spithandle lane - if it’s a sunny day I’ll make my way to the coast for brekkie. I will therefore be on the course for a few miles or so.

I’m more interested in how they will handle people such as me as opposed to me deliberately causing trouble. I will be on the closed roads before the main bulk of the Sportive riders comer through anyway.
  • milemuncher1
    I think the fact that this one is being run in the ‘snooty South’ is going to make life more difficult for the organisers. In the Midlands, the folk were generally more friendly towards the event ( with a couple of noteable exceptions). Down here, it’s arsehole central, with a lot more holier than thou, social justice warrior types. It will be interesting to see if their b****cks match their bluster.
  • slowbike
    For the inaugural Etap Loch Ness which we rode the locals were very supportive of their main road being cut off for most of the morning ... not much in the way of alternative routing up there ...

Come down here and people get uppity if there's someone crossing the road that might cause them to slow down for 5 seconds.
  • milemuncher1
    Slowbike wrote:
    For the inaugural Etap Loch Ness which we rode the locals were very supportive of their main road being cut off for most of the morning ... not much in the way of alternative routing up there ...

Come down here and people get uppity if there's someone crossing the road that might cause them to slow down for 5 seconds.

There’s a group on Facebook at the moment, and there’s a ‘vocal minority’ trying to invent new and interesting non existent problems. It’s quite amusing watching what some of the posters are coming up with.
  • Slowbike wrote:

There’s a group on Facebook at the moment, and there’s a ‘vocal minority’ trying to invent new and interesting non existent problems. It’s quite amusing watching what some of the posters are coming up with.
    What’s the name of the group? Asking for a friend.
  • milemuncher1
    Slowbike wrote:

What’s the name of the group? Asking for a friend.

It’s called stop Velo South. Feel free to go in and troll the posters to within an inch of their lives.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    is this near Kent and will I need a lot of water?
  • milemuncher1
    is this near Kent and will I need a lot of water?
    Not unless they’ve moved it a couple of hundred miles East, and of course you will.
  • shipley
    I think they are precious about who they let into that group...I think I've been refused entry :)
  • Well, I've applied to join, will see if they actually want a sensible discussion or not.