TV Series - Reviews and Recommendations......

Comments

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,594
    davidof said:

daniel_b said:

Oh wow, if Spiral is premier league (Which in my opinion it very much is) the bill would be the diadora league :D

I've not watched The Bill but I know it was the most appreciated police show amongst the police in terms of realism. Never seen it shown in Europe though. Inspecteur Barnaby is more the French cup o' tea and they like all the new grittier stuff like Broadchurch, Liar etc. I suspect they see that in the same way "we" view Engrenages or Bron.

For Canal+ you need a set top box, they don't have that many subscribers, especially since the rise of streaming. It is a walled garden.

I spoke to the missus at lunchtime about "Spiral" (she's an ex-judge and is a visiting professor at the École nationale de la magistrature)... "you are not watching that claptrap" I was told :-(.

I'll have to try and watch a bit when she's at work if I can find it anywhere. You've whetted my appetite, plus if it is forbidden by the missus !

I bet she said it in a killer French accent though, so it almost certainly sounded delightful!

Thankyou for explaining Canal+ & @blazing_saddles I was only aware of the name but not it's place in the country.

That's interesting the way other countries view british or english programs probably much in the way I love French, Italian, Swedish, Danish etc programs, a glimpse into another world and culture, I find it fascinating and enthralling.

I'll be interested to hear what you make of Engrenages, should your covert watching manage to happen - I often watch mine whilst on the turbo, episodes 3 & 4 watched yesterday morning on a 1hr 45 workout - the earlier series are shorter episodes, probably built around adverts, at around 45-50 minutes, the later ones are more like the hour mark, some more.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,809
    edited December 2021
    Carnage a Trois on Amazon featuring Clarkson aging extremely rapidly. Seriously, just don’t. It starts off bad and goes downhill. I'm embarrassed to admit that I watched it but if I save one other from the experience then there will be some comfort.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,428
    pblakeney said:

Carnage a Trois on Amazon featuring Clarkson aging extremely rapidly. Seriously, just don’t. It starts off bad and goes downhill. I'm embarrassed to admit that I watched it but if I save one other from the experience then there will be some comfort.

Clarkson has developed the grey pallor of a heavy smoker/drinker and that massive belly doesn’t help. Probably too stubborn to do anything about it.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • Re: Close to me.

Don't bother.
  • longy
    longy Posts: 74
    pblakeney said:

Agreed. Terrible.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,580
    I'm getting through the first few series of 'Dexter' from the late noughties. Missed quite a bit of it at the time so glad I found it - pretty dark but very good (IMO).
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • seanoconn
    Stevo_666 said:

I'm getting through the first few series of 'Dexter' from the late noughties. Missed quite a bit of it at the time so glad I found it - pretty dark but very good (IMO).

Dexter started well…. I’ll say no more.

Dexter, New blood, the continuation has just been released.
  • Stevo_666
    seanoconn said:

Stevo_666 said:

Yep, I started on 'New Blood' and then noticed that Sky had the original series on tap so thought I'd watch those first. Am at the end of series 2 currently and enjoying it so far, so maybe I'm easily pleased...

Also in between that am enjoying watching a few re-runs of 'Bottom' which somehow reminds me of you and Pinno :p
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,645
    Spoiler for Stevo's benefit.

The ending of Dexter is really up there with worst of all time.
  • seanoconn
    Stevo_666 said:

seanoconn said:

Stevo_666 said:

Yep, I started on 'New Blood' and then noticed that Sky had the original series on tap so thought I'd watch those first. Am at the end of series 2 currently and enjoying it so far, so maybe I'm easily pleased...

Also in between that am enjoying watching a few re-runs of 'Bottom' which somehow reminds me of you and Pinno :p
    As long as I’m Eddie!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,602
    I should be wrapping up Breaking Bad this week, have a few episodes of season 4 and season 5 to go.
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    If anyone likes dystopian animation type stuff, Arcane on Netflix is rather good.
  • Stevo_666
    seanoconn said:

Stevo_666 said:

seanoconn said:

Stevo_666 said:

As long as I’m Eddie!
    That was what I was thinking :smiley:
  • Stevo_666

Spoiler for Stevo's benefit.

The ending of Dexter is really up there with worst of all time.
    I guess I'll find out in the next few days...
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,740
    Pross said:

I should be wrapping up Breaking Bad this week, have a few episodes of season 4 and season 5 to go.

Enjoy it, it's probably the only series I've watched where the final two series are the best.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,042
    pblakeney said:

Thanks for the heads up, it was hilarious ! So true as well.

BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • Pross
    Clarkson is better on his own these days (as are the other two). Clarkson's Farm was a decent watch.

By contrast the current Top Gear trio are more entertaining and have a much more natural appearing banter (even though the format is tired).
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,939
    Pross said:

Clarkson is better on his own these days (as are the other two). Clarkson's Farm was a decent watch.

By contrast the current Top Gear trio are more entertaining and have a much more natural appearing banter (even though the format is tired).

Subscribed to Amazon Prime for emergency presents, so thought I'd give this TV thing a try...

Carnage à Trois was even worse than I thought it would be (and I thought it would be awful) - a friend had told be it was good. It wasn't. Utter bilge, Clarkson et al in a tired format, hamming it up in an awful caricature. And all terribly contrived.

Clarkson's Farm was equally utterly brilliant. The man is still an arse, but the programme transcended that. Clarkson, to his credit, set himself up as the naïf fool, shows a degree of genuine humility I didn't think was in him, and gave one of the best insights into farming I think was possible. That he has used his fame and fortune to open a barn door on how the nation gets fed is totally to his credit.
    Darn it, I almost don't think he's a total arse now.

It's not so much the precise farming stuff, but the general modern place of farming in the public's consciousness, the bloody hard work, and the disdain they are so often treated with. And, again, to be fair to him (sorry, I'm at it again), he's not just trying to say that all modern farming is fantastic... sure, he uses conventional farming methods, and a stupidly big tractor (well, he is Clarkson), but he's doesn't go ripping up hedgerows etc. to maximise profit.

I'd be surprised if many farmers didn't actually praise him for giving the life of farming such a public window and in a pretty balanced way. As he said, he'd have made a pile more money by selling the whole lot and putting his feet up, with the funds invested in the likes of eBay or Amazon, or whichever global monopoly is screwing the markets. And he probably isn't overdrawn to the nth degree with his bankers, as most farmers are, just to keep afloat.

Unlike the car cräp, I think a lot of what you see in the programme is genuine Clarkson, once you overlook the obviously contrived stuff, like Kaleb going to London with the wasabi.
  • Pross
    He also made the point that he was fortunate enough that he has the TV work which meant his end of year profits weren't as critical as they would be to most farmers (although he also had a lot of one off expenditure as someone starting out but there may have been tax benefits to all of that).
  • Pross
    edited December 2021
    Finished Breaking Bad, I know I'm years behind but was well worth the watch. I found myself trying to work out at which point my sympathy for WW went although he's never particularly likeable.

Started on Better Call Saul now
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,740
    Pross said:

Finished Breaking Bad, I know I'm years behind but was well worth the watch. I found myself trying to work out at which point my sympathy for WW went although he's never particularly likeable.

Well done. It’s one of the few programmes where, once seeing the ending, it basks the rest of the programme in a better light
  • briantrumpet
    Pross said:

He also made the point that he was fortunate enough that he has the TV work which meant his end of year profits weren't as critical as they would be to most farmers (although he also had a lot of one off expenditure as someone starting out but there may have been tax benefits to all of that).

Yes - his fretting about £25 from the farm shop, and stuff like that, was probably followed, off-camera, by him guffawing about people fretting about £25, but I think his astonishment at the amount of time & emotion he'd put into trying to make a profit without direct subsidy, and being left with £144 on a turnover of £200k, was genuine.

And yes, most people would have just put out nearly all the tractor work to contractors, but it might well have been a genuine wish to do the work himself that made him buy lots of expensive machinery at the outset. He made the point about the cost of machinery with the combine.

My other observation is that whilst the programme gives the impression that Charlie, Kaleb, and Gerald were the stars who actually got stuff done, brilliantly, they are, in my experience, absolutely normal and typical farm workers. Even experienced farmers really rely on these types of people, day in, day out. Though I think Clarkson struck lucky with his actual characters, as far as the programme goes. But he probably knew that, before he started.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,392
    edited December 2021
    Don't look Up - Netflix

A cinematographic adaption of Cake Stop

Heavy handed satire but worth a few giggles...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • briantrumpet
    ddraver said:

Don't look Up - Netflix

It's getting terrible reviews from both the Graun and Telegraph.
  • ddraver
    I can't say it's anything other than entirely predictable...

No Black Mirror for sure.
    - @ddraver
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,809

ddraver said:

Don't look Up - Netflix

I wouldn't say that it's terrible but the joke is stretched far too long.
    Could have been a brilliant 30 minute satire.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,426
    Pross said:

I love Better Call Saul more than I live BB. It’s got such a wonderfully serene pace and so cinematically filmed it’s beautiful. His brother is such an a-hole though. Always wondering at what point he’s going to screw up though.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,426
    Just started on ‘Lupin’ on Netflix. 3 episodes of Part 1 in and we are all hooked. Very different being French and we are watching it with subtitles rather than the dubbing which I always finds detracts from the original. Well worth a watch.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• Pross
    pblakeney said:

ddraver said:

Don't look Up - Netflix

I wouldn't say that it's terrible but the joke is stretched far too long.
    Could have been a brilliant 30 minute satire.
    Watching it now. Certainly feels like UK politics in the last 6 or 7 years. Meryl Streep's character appears to be based on Johnson.
  • ddraver
    Slight issue is that I didn't know it was supposed to be about climate change until I read the graun review. I thought it was more about Covid...
    - @ddraver