TV Series - Reviews and Recommendations......

Comments

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,584
    They do have a certain atmosphere I agree.

If you like snow etc, you'll likely like Cardinal, set in Canada, 4 series in total, and starring the phenomenal Karine Vanasse, and also the bloke who played The Rocketeer way back in the day.

I'll see if I can find trapped.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,410
    daniel_b said:

If you like snow etc, you'll likely like Cardinal, set in Canada, 4 series in total, and starring the phenomenal Karine Vanasse, and also the bloke who played The Rocketeer way back in the day.

👍 Watched. She was very good and the Rocketeer chap is ageing annoyingly well.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • daniel_b
    edited November 2021
    I'm a HUGE fan of hers, as much as the very talented Miriam Leone, and I thought she did a sterling job. The only bit I thought could be a bit odd was the level of detail/brutality contained within some of the episodes.

And yes, Billy Campbell (Just looked up his name) has faired very well for someone now in their 60s, though I surmise when filming he would have been in his 50s.

I do hope Karine will star in some more regular series - maybe a Detective Delorme spin off B)

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    I’ve been enjoying Foundation on Apple TV. Definitely got the Asimov feel about it; grand and makes you feel smart if you follow it!! Nice in UHD
  • daniel_b said:

I first came across her in Pan Am, in which we also find a young up and comer by the name of Margot Robbie.
    I also saw her in a very good TV 5 Monde drama: Blue Moon, back in the days when the channel was on the Sky telebox.
    Then came Cardinal and all that snow....

Found Farang after a bit of a search and it's now on my All4 watch list.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,400
    Outlaws on IPlayer - very much been enjoying working through this. Just 1 episode left now. I really like the the way the "drama" and daftness work so well together.
  • Cardinal was superb.
  • daniel_b

daniel_b said:

I first came across her in Pan Am, in which we also find a young up and comer by the name of Margot Robbie.
    I also saw her in a very good TV 5 Monde drama: Blue Moon, back in the days when the channel was on the Sky telebox.
    Then came Cardinal and all that snow....

Found Farang after a bit of a search and it's now on my All4 watch list.
    Indeed, same here with Miss Vanasse, Pan Am, very dissapointed they canned it after one series :-(
    It wasn't taxing on the brain, but one of those easy to watch escapism programs.

Not enough Colette for my liking though.

Will try and check out Blue Moon :-)

You only have about 8 days left to watch Farang, thing it gets purged at the end of the month, so if you can average an episode a day you'll just about make it!
    I found it pretty addictive viewing, so I don't think you'll struggle, If you have the time of course!
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • I'm still upset that The Tick got cancelled.
  • longy
    longy Posts: 74
    johngti said:

I’ve been enjoying Foundation on Apple TV. Definitely got the Asimov feel about it; grand and makes you feel smart if you follow it!! Nice in UHD

I've also enjoyed it although we seem to be very much in a minority according to the reviews I've seen.

Great CGI and, for me, an interesting story.
  • daniel_b
    edited November 2021
    Four episodes though the 10 episode 8th series of Spiral, and it's as good as ever, had forgotten how well it was acted and filmed, and how they build the tension/throw in plot twists out of the blue, a real joy to watch.

Imo, one of the few series with real longevity that doesn't seem to ever have an sub standard series in it's back catalogue.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,042
    edited November 2021

There's also their original outing: Le mystère du lac, although that one wasn't filmed around Annecy.

Indeed there is, although that had Barbara Schultz in the lead role and I'm less of a fan.

After El Embarcedaro i'm about to embark (geddit) on another Latin Drama Diablo Guardian

https://youtu.be/cAaDZg-4ue0

I'll let you know. Then there is S5.2 of la casa del Papel

BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,042
    daniel_b said:

*Nice pic of Miriam by the way - she is clearly under utilised, why isn't she in more series - I think a major investigation should be carried out forthwith.

she's just posted another clip from Diabolik on Insta, delayed due to Covid but hopefully we'll get it soon

https://youtu.be/N5cW14YW0Lo
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    It is

Now it's long at 8 hours over 3 parts but it worth the time imo

Highlight so far is Paul futtering about on the bass and from nothing creating Get Back.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Ted Lasso

I...erm...yeah. Really not sure I got it that much or understood the hype but by the end of Season 1 I was rather in to it and enjoying it. Not quite sure why or how...

Still a bit confused as I settle down for Season 2
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • daniel_b
    edited November 2021
    Holy moly, 2hr 45 turbo yesterday afternoon, and watched the final 3 eisodes of Spiral series 8, which I now sadly see is the last series they are making, it has been going since 2005 I guess.

It was the best yet - looks like it is available until the end of December - if you have the time, it would be 10 hours well spent between now and then, superb television, real cinematic quality.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,410
    ddraver said:

Ted Lasso

I...erm...yeah. Really not sure I got it that much or understood the hype but by the end of Season 1 I was rather in to it and enjoying it. Not quite sure why or how...

Enjoyed season 1 with the family. Thought season 2 was terrible which seems to go against opinion. No direction and milking the feel good factor to the extreme.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,776
    ddraver said:

Ted Lasso

It's just nice, comforting, and inoffensive. Like snuggling down under a duvet to watch a Christmas film while drinking hot chocolate after a walk in the cold. Pleasant but not memorable.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    daniel_b said:

Holy moly, 2hr 45 turbo yesterday afternoon.

Sorry, but anything after this sentence is meaningless, you madman!!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • daniel_b
    edited November 2021
    ddraver said:

daniel_b said:

Harsh :D

Spiral peeps are not impressed.

Gutted to see all of the previous series (I think) are only available on the player of i for 6 days - although I think I have 1-3 on DVD, would have been nice to re-watch from the off.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • It is

Now it's long at 8 hours over 3 parts but it worth the time imo

Highlight so far is Paul futtering about on the bass and from nothing creating Get Back.
    There's quite a lot that's not interesting in what I've watched so far, but the songs coming together is fascinating. Like you say, that moment when Paul is just messing around because John is late (again) and suddenly Get Back comes out is truly spine tingling.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • There's a bit later in the first episode when Paul is messing around on the piano while Ringo is chatting away next to him and suddenly he's playing Let It Be as part of his meanderings without realising, then it goes again, then he comes back to it. There's some great footage.

And it looks great. I'm fully expecting to watch the rooftop footage in this quality over and over.
  • Still watching the Beatles...

Billy Preston, man. I knew he was good but holy crap the guy is amazing.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,005
    daniel_b said:

ddraver said:

daniel_b said:

Gutted to see all of the previous series (I think) are only available on the player of i for 6 days - although I think I have 1-3 on DVD, would have been nice to re-watch from the off.

I was pointed to this about a couple of months back. Been on 2 a night recently to get through them, helped by my current state of isolation.
    I think (hope) series 8 is on for another month yet, others being taken off iPlayer this week.
    Been very enjoyable. Regardles of accuracy, interesting to see a very different legal system to that shown in UK dramas.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,553
    edited December 2021
    Just watched 14 Peaks on Netflix. Documentary about an ex-Gurkha who was pretty much unknown in the mountaineering world who decided to climb all 14 Peaks in the world over 8,000m in under 7 months (the record when he started was 7 years!).

I don't watch a lot of documentaries but although the scenery was by its very nature a bit 'saney' it made for a really interesting watch. Incredible challenge especially with no financial backing. The scenes of the queues for the summit of Everest were ridiculous.

I really wish I had the guy's physiology
  • daniel_b
    edited December 2021
    Mad_Malx said:

daniel_b said:

ddraver said:

daniel_b said:

I was pointed to this about a couple of months back. Been on 2 a night recently to get through them, helped by my current state of isolation.
    I think (hope) series 8 is on for another month yet, others being taken off iPlayer this week.
    Been very enjoyable. Regardles of accuracy, interesting to see a very different legal system to that shown in UK dramas.
    It's fantastic isn't it, so absorbing, and I think it is packed with acting talent, and clearly excellent writers - hopefully they will turn their hand to something else after this.

Yes I saw series 1-7 expire at the weekend :-(
    Sometimes series seem to get a reprieve and be given another year, so am hoping that will happen, but looks unlikely.
    Series 8 did not start until Jan 2021, so you have until New Years day to watch the fantastic 8 episodes on offer.

As an aside, I think I'm going to watch Guilt, which has two series on iplayer.
    Chap in it from the series Shetland, appears to be a black comedy about how they accidentally (I think) kill a man and then try to cover it up - could be good, could be gash.
    https://bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p09xh2db/guilt-series-2-episode-4

8 hour long episodes, 4 per series.
    This is one when I looked last week had a few days to go, but is now saying 2 months.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,005
    ^Guilt was quite good as I recall.
  • daniel_b
    Mad_Malx said:

^Guilt was quite good as I recall.

Cheers, that bodes well then :)
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,400
    I enjoyed Guilt too, currently working through Showtrial which I'm enjoying also