TV Series - Reviews and Recommendations......

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,538
    Tashman said:

I enjoyed Guilt too, currently working through Showtrial which I'm enjoying also

I enjoyed Showtrial. Most of the filming was around the route I try to run at lunch time when in the office and other scenes were filmed on the square I worked on for about 15 years.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,583
    Pross said:

Tashman said:

I enjoyed Guilt too, currently working through Showtrial which I'm enjoying also

I enjoyed Showtrial. Most of the filming was around the route I try to run at lunch time when in the office and other scenes were filmed on the square I worked on for about 15 years.
    Londinium?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,619
    daniel_b said:

Pross said:

Tashman said:

Londinium?
    Bristilium.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    I am loving The Expanse.
    Also really like Upload and Carnival Row.
    No doubt all 3 have been discussed previously, but, you know...

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,407
    Been a while since I’ve watched this and rarely found in it’s entirety. Stieg Larsson’s Millennium series, 6 parts although they could be classed as films. The first 4 are on iplayer with 2 more to follow.

One of the best Scandinavian series ever and seriously worth a watch if you haven’t seen it before. Does not compare to the poor English language attempts.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,769
    The Steig Larsson films are available as a trilogy.
    I've got them all and had the Girl With The Dragon Tattoo for a decade now.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • daniel_b
    3 of 8 episodes through Guilt on iplayer - excellent black comedy, really good.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Started watching North Water, well filmed but pretty grim!
  • longy
    longy Posts: 74
    secretsam said:

I am loving The Expanse.

The new and (for the moment) final series is out later this week and it will be bittersweet knowing it's the end. It doesn't help that I have just finished the final book of the nine part series which really is the end.

The Expanse is, without a doubt, my favourite series of sci fi books and tv.

• It is

Now it's long at 8 hours over 3 parts but it worth the time imo

Highlight so far is Paul futtering about on the bass and from nothing creating Get Back.
    Last post about this, but he really really messed up the rooftop concert.

All the hype about it being the first time the whole concert is shown, and he has passers by talking over it for "atmosphere". I want to hear The Beatles, is that not the point?

I hope there's an extra release where you actually get to hear the whole thing. What he has released is not as good as what we'd already seen.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,689
    Fair play to have the stamina to watch 8 hours of that.
  • As is often the case these days with the iPlayer, all series of Spiral have been renewed and available for another year.
    Final series has 26 days left but no doubt it will also get another year.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • daniel_b

As is often the case these days with the iPlayer, all series of Spiral have been renewed and available for another year.

That is awesome news, I saw they were expiring at 6am on Sunday, and having checked Sunday daytime saw they had actually been removed completely, so feared the worst - great to see them back up there. Will be good turbo viewing for the next few months. Currently watching Rocco Schiavone (Grizzled Italian Inspector), and whilst it is reasonable, it's nothing too amazing - my interest is that my brother lives in Aosta, so an element of interest in seeing some place names, and places I am familiar with.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,041
    edited December 2021
    Mad_Malx said:

Been very enjoyable. Regardles of accuracy, interesting to see a very different legal system to that shown in UK dramas.

I only caught a bit of Engrenages, it was a bit plodding tbh, like a Gallic Nordic Noir. I'll have to rewatch a bit.

BAC Nord gets very good reviews

https://youtu.be/iyVLnChTs8w

Based on "true events" as they say.

BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • daniel_b
    Engrenages in my opinion is very well written, and isn't action packed - not much in the way of fisticuffs, or car chases, and there might be the odd shootout, but they are pretty rare.

It's more about the relationships between the police, the judiciary and all of the people interwoven into it - a real masterpiece to my mind.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    edited December 2021
    daniel_b said:

As is often the case these days with the iPlayer, all series of Spiral have been renewed and available for another year.

That is awesome news, I saw they were expiring at 6am on Sunday, and having checked Sunday daytime saw they had actually been removed completely, so feared the worst - great to see them back up there. Will be good turbo viewing for the next few months. Currently watching Rocco Schiavone (Grizzled Italian Inspector), and whilst it is reasonable, it's nothing too amazing - my interest is that my brother lives in Aosta, so an element of interest in seeing some place names, and places I am familiar with.
    Overall I enjoyed the first series of Rocco Schiavone. I was a bit meh at the start but as the characters developed and a few comic one liners dropped into the mix, I found myself wanting more.
    It's also the current offering on S4c Clic (with English and Welsh subititles available) which is a neat alternative, as the ad breaks are all removed.
    Just read that series 4 was released on Rai, earlier this year.
    Hopefully, the remaining series will turn up on More/All 4 at some point.

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,938
    I don't get Succession

I've watched every episode, but much like Billions, I've no idea why.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • I don't get Succession

Amazingly enough I just watched the first episode of Succession, this afternoon.
    It will be the last.
    Shocking what passes for quality writing these days.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,538

I don't get Succession

Have to admit I'm struggling with Billions these days, the way they structure the series doesn't help but it is mainly all the making new alliances and then double crossing each other is getting ridiculous. Far better when it was just Chuck trying to catch Axe out. I've never understood any of the financial stuff.
  • daniel_b
    edited December 2021

daniel_b said:

Overall I enjoyed the first series of Rocco Schiavone. I was a bit meh at the start but as the characters developed and a few comic one liners dropped into the mix, I found myself wanting more.
    It's also the current offering on S4c Clic (with English and Welsh subititles available) which is a neat alternative, as the ad breaks are all removed.
    Just read that series 4 was released on Rai, earlier this year.
    Hopefully, the remaining series will turn up on More/All 4 at some point.

Interesting - it has certainly improved episode by epsiode, I'm only up to 3 or 4 currently.
    I see 16 have been made, but All4 only have 6 - which is Series 1, someting they seem to do quite often, probably because the companies that own further series hope people will sign up to watch them.
    Series 2 & 3 are 4 a piece, but series 4 only has 2 episodes - not sure if that doesn't bode well for the future or not.
    I've already seen two actresses who have been in Montalbano episodes, one of them recurring.

I'll watch the 6 available, then I'm going to Spiral series 1.

I will avoid Succession!
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • I don't get Succession

I really enjoyed the first series, kind of enjoyed the second and have no idea why I've ploughed through 5 tedious episodes of the third.
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    “Close to me” is interesting We’re on episode 4 and it’s developing nicely.
  • johngti said:

We're up to episode 4 and I haven't got a clue what's going on.
  • drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150
    I've just started the final season of Battlestar Galactica. Old news, I know. For some reason Mrs. Haggis finds it too depressing, so I've been delaying this for far too long.
  • daniel_b

johngti said:

I had noted this was on, planning to watch it at some point - has the Ecclestone (not Bernie) in I think?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,400

johngti said:

Watched Ep 5 last night, it brings a lot of elements tgether. i must admit though that trying to work out "reality" from imagination at times was a touch tricky
  • davidof
    edited December 2021
    daniel_b said:

Engrenages...

It's more about the relationships between the police, the judiciary and all of the people interwoven into it - a real masterpiece to my mind.

I'll have to take another look, you make it sounds like a Gallic "The Bill".

If it hadn't been on Canal+ I might of watched it. I suspect it has been more seen outside of France than within due to that fact.

What is interesting in France is you can come straight out of Higher Education and be a judge, maybe 23 years old. This puts some very young, very inexperienced people in charge of very complex cases and for most trials there is no jury, a judge makes a report based on what was submitted by the lawyers and this is reviewed by other judges. The caseload is also incredible and this causes a couple of issues: very long delays to trial in some cases and errors of justice. The judiciary is not totally independent either - which is probably one of the reasons the Economist classes France as a "failing democracy".

Instagramme
  • daniel_b
    edited December 2021
    davidof said:

daniel_b said:

Engrenages...

If it hadn't been on Canal+ I might of watched it. I suspect it has been more seen outside of France than within due to that fact.

What is interesting in France is you can come straight out of Higher Education and be a judge, maybe 23 years old. This puts some very young, very inexperienced people in charge of very complex cases and for most trials there is no jury, a judge makes a report based on what was submitted by the lawyers and this is reviewed by other judges. The caseload is also incredible and this causes a couple of issues: very long delays to trial in some cases and errors of justice. The judiciary is not totally independent either - which is probably one of the reasons the Economist classes France as a "failing democracy".

Oh wow, if Spiral is premier league (Which in my opinion it very much is) the bill would be the diadora league :D

I'm already 4 episodes through series 1 (I think series 1-3 are new to me, but the rest I have seen) so this is a real treat, or my memory is so shot to pieces that I simply cannot remember watching them.
    It's quite a treat seeing most of them some 15 years younger, and how the relationship dynamics are very very different from what they were in latter series, as they should be.

Very interesting what you say about the judiciary over there, I hadn't realised that at all - a very young judge was in fact in the final series, and during all of the series you often see the characters making some potentially less than ethical decisions.

I am not familiar with Canal+ (As in I am well aware of the name, but haing sadly never lived in France don't know what issues it might cause), is it our equivalent of channel 5, or just loaded with adverts or something, or a channel you have to subscribe to?

I think worldwide it has been a massive success, and clearly had longevity spanning some 15 odd years, with no drop in quality, even the opposite in my opinion.

Series 9 with Miriam Leone anyone?
    *I realise she is not French!
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b said:

davidof said:

daniel_b said:

Engrenages...

Oh wow, if Spiral is premier league (Which in my opinion it very much is) the bill would be the diadora league :D

I'm already 4 episodes through series 1 (I think series 1-3 are new to me, but the rest I have seen) so this is a real treat, or my memory is so shot to pieces that I simply cannot remember watching them.
    It's quite a treat seeing most of them some 15 years younger, and how the relationship dynamics are very very different from what they were in latter series, as they should be.

Very interesting what you say about the judiciary over there, I hadn't realised that at all - a very young judge was in fact in the final series, and during all of the series you often see the characters making some potentially less than ethical decisions.

I am not familiar with Canal+ (As in I am well aware of the name, but haing sadly never lived in France don't know what issues it might cause), is it our equivalent of channel 5, or just loaded with adverts or something, or a channel you have to subscribe to?

I think worldwide it has been a massive success, and clearly had longevity spanning some 15 odd years, with no drop in quality, even the opposite in my opinion.

Series 9 with Miriam Leone anyone?
    *I realise she is not French!
    Canal+ isn’t a single station, it’s France’s equivalent and Sky tv.
    It is subscription tv carrying premium content, including films and live sports etc.

Worth noting that BBC4 is/was also involved in the production of Spiral.
  • davidof
    edited December 2021
    daniel_b said:

I've not watched The Bill but I know it was the most appreciated police show amongst the police in terms of realism. Never seen it shown in Europe though. Inspecteur Barnaby is more the French cup o' tea and they like all the new grittier stuff like Broadchurch, Liar etc. I suspect they see that in the same way "we" view Engrenages or Bron.

For Canal+ you need a set top box, they don't have that many subscribers, especially since the rise of streaming. It is a walled garden.

I spoke to the missus at lunchtime about "Spiral" (she's an ex-judge and is a visiting professor at the École nationale de la magistrature)... "you are not watching that claptrap" I was told :-(.

I'll have to try and watch a bit when she's at work if I can find it anywhere. You've whetted my appetite, plus if it is forbidden by the missus !

Instagramme