TV Series - Reviews and Recommendations......

Comments

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,610
    I love Duel.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    I never liked Dennis Weaver (not that I've ever met him).
    I have started watching Kingdom on Netflix. Interesting Korean 17th-ish century zombie adventure with some power struggle subplots. A couple of episodes into season 1, but it was good enough to get a second season, also available.
  • womack
    womack Posts: 566
    Talking of Netflix, final season of Ozark starting soon.
  • joe2019
    joe2019 Posts: 1,338
    Bad Sport on Netflix is excellent.
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,404

Tashman said:

The Tourist on IPlayer. Has a Killing EVE vibe to some of the violence and drip feeding little twists. Totally implausible but enjoying so far up to Ep4

Just about finished episode one.
    Implausible is an understatement.
    Just how “the accident” happened with all that outback dust, a very large truck and a billboard to hide behind….

Anyhow, you say Killing Eve but I am thinking more Coen Brothers go to Oz.
    Quirky stuff.
    I can see that, the use of music made me think spaghetti western/Tarantino too. Most definitely filed under quirky
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,473
    me-109 said:

I have started watching Kingdom on Netflix. Interesting Korean 17th-ish century zombie adventure with some power struggle subplots. A couple of episodes into season 1, but it was good enough to get a second season, also available.

My wife and I were gripped by Kingdom. It took a few episodes to get into it and work out who is who, but it is so beautifully filmed and FULL of gore!

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 18,120
    Not a series, but just stumbled on the one-off 'Pop! The science of bubbles' on Amazon Prime. The science is all non-technical, and it's a visual pleasure in more way than one. A good way to get youngsters interested in science and physics (and bubbles), I'd have thought.

Actually, I see it's on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-Ub_r_GFZY
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,016
    Irish - Belgian "hidden assets" on BBC4 /iPlayer is looking good after 2 episodes . One of the better things of recent times.

Tourist took far too much suspension of disbelief. I get that it's drama, but the Plot holes were the size of Australia.
  • Just finished The Tourist, thought it was great stuff.

Didn't make any sense if you think about it, so don't do that. Just enjoy the ride.
  • wavefront
    wavefront Posts: 397
    Really enjoyed the tourist, probably for all the same reasons I loved Fargo (tv series) . Funny, quirky, odd, great characters. and visually quite beautiful.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,463
    Mad_Malx said:

Irish - Belgian "hidden assets" on BBC4 /iPlayer is looking good after 2 episodes . One of the better things of recent times.

Tourist took far too much suspension of disbelief. I get that it's drama, but the Plot holes were the size of Australia.

Had a crack at the Tourist. Jamie Dornan is unbearably boring on screen. Would have been better with someone else.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • daniel_b
    edited January 2022
    Not even started the Tourist yet, but on the list - looks like it's available for the whole year, so no hurry.

Also have ploughed through the first 4 series of spiral (turbo time) and have started series 5 - just as good as I remember.

Completed watching Tennant's around the world, and the whole family thoroughly enjoyed it, highly entertaining, and not too scary for my 8 year old.
    Personally thought the acting was excellent, and delighted to see a second series was commissioned before it was even screened - brave move in the current climate.

As a major tangent, over Christmas I noticed the beeb were showing two of Ustinov's Poirot films. I recall enjoying these as a wee lad, so thought I would revisit, likely not having seen them for a large number of years.
    I appreciate Suchet's version is more accurate as per the book, but I enjoy both versions, and even though these films look pretty dated now, I still found them enjoyable - it was a bit like a museum piece, very of it's time.
    They are available for about another week I think.

It's not fine, or thought provoking television by any means, and some of the acting/script is somewhat stilted shall we say, but it was a nice genteel trip down memory lane.

Not quite so tangential (is that a word?), and now quite as old, but looking for interesting programs that we can watch with our daughter (Who likes nothing too 'scary') I recalled watching many Michael Palin travel/exploring series back in my younger years, and looking on iplayer could see all 7 episodes of 'Around the world in 80 days' so we chanced our arm on that, and despite the first episode being a little bit boring for an 8 year old, with not that much travel, and meeting Alan Whicker, packing his suitcase etc, she was suitably enamoured to want to see episode 2.
    It's great to see it again, seeing it came out in 89, highly enjoyable, and he has a very relaxed easy going presentation style.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Just watched episode 6 of 80 Days and thought it was awful.
    Plot wise, the sort of writing I would expect from a class of 12 year olds.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,401
    edited January 2022
    Late to the party but, having just "read" the audiobook in the van I watched Good Omens (2019)

I've never been the biggest Gaimon/Pratchett fan but I quite enjoyed both. Very British humour, very Pratchett. Not quite sure why David Tennant was cosplaying Bill Nighy but it was nevertheless effective.

If you missed it it's worth a watch

On to 80 Days now as it seems similar in style.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,584
    Just watched the first episode of Dark Woods (All4) which got off to a good start. It's a Walter presents (German) real-life murder case(s).
  • Mad_Malx

Just watched episode 6 of 80 Days and thought it was awful.
    Plot wise, the sort of writing I would expect from a class of 12 year olds.

Is this the fault of the screenwriter or Jules Verne?
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 18,120
    daniel_b said:

/>

Not quite so tangential (is that a word?), and now quite as old, but looking for interesting programs that we can watch with our daughter (Who likes nothing too 'scary') I recalled watching many Michael Palin travel/exploring series back in my younger years, and looking on iplayer could see all 7 episodes of 'Around the world in 80 days' so we chanced our arm on that, and despite the first episode being a little bit boring for an 8 year old, with not that much travel, and meeting Alan Whicker, packing his suitcase etc, she was suitably enamoured to want to see episode 2.
    It's great to see it again, seeing it came out in 89, highly enjoyable, and he has a very relaxed easy going presentation style.

Yes, these have stood the test of time pretty well, as are his other travelogues in a similar vein. Certainly not cringeworthy.
  • Boba-fet on Disney is OK. Just had to sit through The Stranger on netfarts. Meh
  • daniel_b
    masjer said:

Just watched the first episode of Dark Woods (All4) which got off to a good start. It's a Walter presents (German) real-life murder case(s).

Liking the sound of that one. Meant to be a new French one called Trauma available now as well.

Started watching Rules of the game last night via iplayer, looking pretty good so far.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    edited January 2022

Yes, these have stood the test of time pretty well, as are his other travelogues in a similar vein. Certainly not cringeworthy.

Definitely, my 8 year old is fascinated, and it's like watching them for the first time as well as my memory is shot to pieces :D

Managed to pick up a brand new 'Palin's travels' DVD boxset which has everything bar Brazil in it, for the princely sum of £23.50.

I have heard great things about the Simon Reeve programs, but does anyone have any idea if the content is suitable for an 8 year old?
    I gather it's a bit more indepth, getting into the details more, which is likely a good thing.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • seanoconn
    Peacemaker not sure what channel. Can be found be nefarious means.

Violent, inappropriate comedy. What’s not to like. Spin off from the recent Suicide Squad movie. John Cena is surprisingly funny.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,737
    What about some of the top gear specials?

In general, I think it is hard to get a travel programme right. I like the ones where they have personal interests which take place in foreign countries e.g. I watched someone fishing for trout in Bhutan, Nadiya cooking in Bangladesh.

Also, I continue to recommend Alone which is a contest to see who can survive alone in the wild the longest with limited tools . Probably won't be a appreciated by a kid though.

• seanoconn

Also, I continue to recommend Alone which is a contest to see who can survive alone in the wild the longest with limited tools . Probably won't be a appreciated by a kid though.

Couple of the winners/runners up have their own YouTube channels which I occasionally tune in to. Zachary Fowler, Greg Ovens.
  • TheBigBean
    seanoconn said:

Couple of the winners/runners up have their own YouTube channels which I occasionally tune in to.
    Zachary Fowler, Greg Ovens.
    You probably need a spoiler tag there in the unlikely event that someone is inspired to watch. Although only one of those was a winner/runner up.

In general, a lot of the competitors already have you tube channels and are known within the community. Many are active on places like reddit and engage with viewers there which is another aspect I really like about the show. Also, whilst it is possible to apply, some are headhunted.

• ddraver
    Hmmm, sounds like my sort of caper...

Will check it out.
    - @ddraver
  • TheBigBean
    ddraver said:

Hmmm, sounds like my sort of caper...

Will check it out.

My advice would be to start with season 1. Seasons 6/7 are the best, but you'll have a much better appreciation of them if you have seen the earlier stuff. Also, it's a north American production aimed at the mainstream. This enables them to stump up $500k for the winner, but means you need to tolerate a bit of dramatisation.
  • ddraver
    🤣🤣🤣

$500, 000 to share your tarp with a bear doesnt sound worth it to me either to be fair...
    - @ddraver
  • TheBigBean
    ddraver said:

🤣🤣🤣

$500, 000 to share your tarp with a bear doesnt sound worth it to me either to be fair...
    The first season was really raw (why I suggested starting there). Neither the contestants nor the crew had a clue what to expect. The selection of the contestants reflects that somewhat.

Also note it is all self-filmed. They don't have a camera crew following them around, but they do get a med check / battery refresh once a week.
  • Retro recommendation…

Decided to re-watch The Fall on Netflix. I’d forgotten just how compelling (and grim) it was. Jamie Dornan is superb, and seems to have been subsequently typecast - didn’t enjoy The Tourist that much. Gillian Anderson and all the supporting cast are also excellent.

Ep1 of Series 3 is one of the best surgical scenes I’ve seen on TV. Horrific and fascinating in equal measure.
  • Mad_Malx
    edited January 2022
    Stay away from Stay Close on Netflix.
    Started ok like an oop Norf Broadchurch crossed with the very good Blackpool from a few years back. It can’t decide whether to go for laughs or drama though, and by episode 3 segues into a Dennis Potter scene for no reason.
    And James Nesbitt’s eyebrows are trying to get their own spin-off series.