TV Series - Reviews and Recommendations......

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,891
    Something I only just discovered about Zimmer is that he worked with The Buggles and is in the video of Video Killed The Radio Star (the first ever video played on MTV). He also composed the Going For Gold theme tune which has to be his career highlight.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,922
    I particularly liked this entry.

"In 1980, Zimmer co-produced a single, "History of the World, Part 1," with, and for, UK punk band The Damned, which was also included on their 1980 LP release, The Black Album, and carried the description of his efforts as "Over-Produced by Hans Zimmer.""
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Just watched episode 2 and I enjoyed it a lot more than the first.
    On IMDb it’s getting slammed for being more BBC wokiness but actually the list of European tv companies involved in the production is incredible. Even the SA department of trade and industry and the Romanian government are in on the act.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,949
    Zimmer is the absolute daddy of scores.

His scoreography is ridiculous
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,401

Just watched episode 2 and I enjoyed it a lot more than the first.
    On IMDb it’s getting slammed for being more BBC wokiness but actually the list of European tv companies involved in the production is incredible. Even the SA department of trade and industry and the Romanian government are in on the act.

Remoaner scum!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,610
    edited December 2021

Pross said:

I've been enjoying the adaption of 80 Days Around the World...perfect Xmas family viewing. They should have released an episode every evening though.

Watched the first two and enjoyed them, I've never watched any other versions so don't really know the story. I hoped they'd release the whole lot on iPlayer in one go but unfortunately not.
    I had noticed this, so I checked to see when episode 3 was scheduled on tv - it’s not.
    All episodes are available on demand on Sky.

Seriously?

So the BBC have acted as an advert base for Sky.

Edit: looks like they are showing 2 each Sunday:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0012w6x/broadcasts/upcoming

Agreed on the music, excellent and very sherlockesque.

My 8 year old was not impressed with the shooting bit in ep1, but enjoyed ep2 a lot more.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b

Having finished Clarkson's Farm, I thought I'd try James May's Japan on my Amazon Prime. Lasted about 10 minutes. Yawn.

We really enjoyed it, I have to say I personally find May the best presenter out of those three.
    If you have time to give it another go, well worth a try.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Pross
    daniel_b said:

Pross said:

I've been enjoying the adaption of 80 Days Around the World...perfect Xmas family viewing. They should have released an episode every evening though.

Watched the first two and enjoyed them, I've never watched any other versions so don't really know the story. I hoped they'd release the whole lot on iPlayer in one go but unfortunately not.
    I had noticed this, so I checked to see when episode 3 was scheduled on tv - it’s not.

Seriously?

My 8 year old was not impressed with the shooting bit in ep1, but enjoyed ep2 a lot more.
    I can still only find episodes 1 and 2. I assume BS means all episodes so far are available on catch-up through the Sky box but not via iPlayer although I'd initially read it the same as you.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 18,107
    daniel_b said:

Having finished Clarkson's Farm, I thought I'd try James May's Japan on my Amazon Prime. Lasted about 10 minutes. Yawn.

We really enjoyed it, I have to say I personally find May the best presenter out of those three.
    If you have time to give it another go, well worth a try.

I just found him dull as a presenter by himself, and the format seems forced. The polar opposite of Clarkson. I'm sure that, as a person, he's much more likeable than Clarkson, but it doesn't necessarily make good TV. And my not being overly interested in Japan doesn't help, I'll admit...
  • Pross said:

Are you sure that isn't the Michael Palin one?
  • Pross said:

daniel_b said:

Pross said:

Seriously?

I can still only find episodes 1 and 2. I assume BS means all episodes so far are available on catch-up through the Sky box but not via iPlayer although I'd initially read it the same as you.

No, it’s in Sunday evening schedule now on the sky epg.
    All 7 episodes are available on demand on the sky box.

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,957

Pross said:

daniel_b said:

Pross said:

Seriously?

I may be being thick here, are you sure you're not seeing the Michael Palin documentary of the same name?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Pross

Pross said:

daniel_b said:

Pross said:

Seriously?

I can't find them and have looked several times. Just an old film, the Palin series, the two episodes broadcast so far and a kids version (not the 1980s classic).
  • Pross said:

daniel_b said:

Pross said:

Seriously?

I may be being thick here, are you sure you're not seeing the Michael Palin documentary of the same name?
    Palin series had 7 episodes....

New drama has 8.
  • pblakeney
    I can only see 2 episodes of the new version on the Sky Go.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney said:

Pross said:

Watched the first couple of episodes of Outlaws, partly as I like working out where in Bristol they are filming and partly as my daughter's job until recently was supervising community payback schemes. I was expecting a slightly entertaining, silly comedy but it actually has a bit more to it than that, will keep watching.

Currently starting the 3rd episode. Much, much more than I was expecting, which was a slightly entertaining, silly comedy as well.
    Outlaws update - Quality tapers off towards the end of Ep5 and throughout Ep6 but worth a watch on balance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Pross said:

daniel_b said:

Pross said:

Seriously?

Palin series had 7 episodes....

New drama has 8.
    Yes it’s my bad.
    Had a helluva days up to now.
    Didn’t check but only details of the first 4 are on skybox.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,949
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Pross said:

Watched the first couple of episodes of Outlaws, partly as I like working out where in Bristol they are filming and partly as my daughter's job until recently was supervising community payback schemes. I was expecting a slightly entertaining, silly comedy but it actually has a bit more to it than that, will keep watching.

Currently starting the 3rd episode. Much, much more than I was expecting, which was a slightly entertaining, silly comedy as well.
    Outlaws update - Quality tapers off towards the end of Ep5 and throughout Ep6 but worth a watch on balance.
    It was one of the worst endings I’ve ever seen, where they run 4 or 5 simultaneous story strands and only resolve one of them - leaving the others entirely pointless and a waste of our time
  • Pross
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Pross said:

Yep, I think I said further back that they seemed to run out of ideas how to resolve the storylines.
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Pross said:

It was one of the worst endings I’ve ever seen, where they run 4 or 5 simultaneous story strands and only resolve one of them - leaving the others entirely pointless and a waste of our time
    Yeah. Still, on balance, IMO, not a complete waste of time.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • womack
    womack Posts: 566
    Not so much a recommendation more a warning not to waste your time on Swedish drama Partisan.

Just watched series 1 and it was garbage (IMHO)
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,463
    womack said:

Not so much a recommendation more a warning not to waste your time on Swedish drama Partisan.

Just watched series 1 and it was garbage (IMHO)

Gave up by the second episode. The main character is a good actor, bit of a waste.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • Pross
    All the Around The World In 80 Days episodes are now available. Just watched the final 4. Quite enjoyable. Despite not knowing the story I did work out the 'twist' at the end
  • daniel_b
    Pross said:

All the Around The World In 80 Days episodes are now available. Just watched the final 4. Quite enjoyable. Despite not knowing the story I did work out the 'twist' at the end

Yep noticed that this evening - bit odd, something contractual perhaps.

We've only just finished episode 3, our 8 year old seems pretty hooked which is nice.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,404
    The Tourist on IPlayer. Has a Killing EVE vibe to some of the violence and drip feeding little twists. Totally implausible but enjoying so far up to Ep4
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,899
    edited January 2022
    Pross said:

Judging from the most recent reviews, it’s probably best enjoyed by not knowing the original story, as this is far removed.

Just watched episode 3 and it just didn’t engage me like episode 2.
    Tenant’s imbecilic Phineas Fogg couldn’t walk around his local park in 80 days.

• daniel_b
    edited January 2022
    Tashman said:

The Tourist on IPlayer. Has a Killing EVE vibe to some of the violence and drip feeding little twists. Totally implausible but enjoying so far up to Ep4

I had that on my list of series to watch with my partner, but she doesn't tend to like overly violent programs, so may be a struggle - I'm not a huge fan to be honest, Killing Eve for me was overrated and seemed to try and glamourise every piece of violence that occurred, of which there were a vast catalogue of.

Pross said:

Judging from the most recent reviews, it’s probably best enjoyed by not knowing the original story, as this is far removed.

Just watched episode 3 and it just didn’t engage me like episode 2.
    Tenant’s imbecilic Phineas Fogg couldn’t walk around his local park in 80 days.

I also do not know the original story, my 8 year old certainly does not, although I think my partner does.
    However it is, or was, being screened at circa 17:00 on Sunday evening, so I would suggest my daughter is squarely the age range this is aimed at.
    Three was not the strongest, though we watched 4 & 5 tonight, and it's certainly picked up a lot, we are all finding it entertaining, and are blissfully unaware of it following, or not, the original story - however we are all finding it very entertaining, engaging, and wanting to see what happens next.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 18,107

Stevo_666 said:

Red Dwarf always is worth a watch. Just been going through series 3 onwards.

Thanks for the reminder. Haven't seen it for years, and £20 for series 1-8 is decent value, so have taken a punt.

Just watched episode one, 'The End'. Had never seen it before, and actually not at all cringeworthy, and a few laugh-out-loud moments (which momentarily broke into my trumpet practice). It doesn't seem to have dated.

Just another 23½ hours of practice to go...
  • Tashman said:

Just about finished episode one.
    Implausible is an understatement.
    Just how “the accident” happened with all that outback dust, a very large truck and a billboard to hide behind….

Anyhow, you say Killing Eve but I am thinking more Coen Brothers go to Oz.
    Quirky stuff.
  • womack
    womack Posts: 566

Tashman said:

Just about finished episode one.
    Implausible is an understatement.
    Just how “the accident” happened with all that outback dust, a very large truck and a billboard to hide behind….

Quirky stuff.

To be honest watching the opening ten minutes I thought I was watching a remake of the 70's film Duel.

I'll stick with it though.