TV Series - Reviews and Recommendations......

Comments

• joe2019 said:

Looks great... sign me up.

Anybody know why the footage was locked away for 50 years?

There was a lot of legal wrangling around this time with Allan Klein so imagine that had a good deal to do with it.
  • joe2019 said:

Looks great... sign me up.

Anybody know why the footage was locked away for 50 years?

It was filmed for the Let It Be documentary, which was released in 1970. This new one is more of the footage that wasn't used in that film, plus the whole rooftop concert. The original film only had about half of it, and that's what you can usually see when it pops up on youtube before being removed for copyright infringement.
  • Another 20 minutes of this is worth the price of admission
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,588
    I have now finished all of the Thou shalt not kill offerings on All4, and excellent it was too.
    It would seem that Amazon have a 4th season by the way, so not sure if that was the last one, or if it is back in production.

Additionally, Joan Thursday, or Sara Vickers to give her real name, in an interview has stated Series 9 of Endeavour has apparently been given the go ahead.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b said:

I have now finished all of the Thou shalt not kill offerings on All4, and excellent it was too.
    It would seem that Amazon have a 4th season by the way, so not sure if that was the last one, or if it is back in production.

Additionally, Joan Thursday, or Sara Vickers to give her real name, in an interview has stated Series 9 of Endeavour has apparently been given the go ahead.

Excellent news on both fronts.
    Nice to be proven right in a good way, for once.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    It's been a long time since I've seen a TV drama as preposterous as Cobra:Cyberwar on Sky.

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,421
    For something totally out of the ordinary then have a gander at Kingdom on Netflix. This is a bizarre Korean Zombie series like no other. Korea makes some weird and wonderful Sh!t - ala Squid Game. The story line is baffling but it has zombies that move faster than a scolded cat and a lot of gore. However it is beautifully shot. It's more like a high art cinematic release than a TV series. Fabulous costumes and scenery plus some pretty darn cool hats!

https://www.netflix.com/gb/title/80180171

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• It's been a long time since I've seen a TV drama as preposterous as Cobra:Cyberwar on Sky.

It works great as a comedy.

The plot, for want of a better word, must have been written by a GCSE resit.
    To think that people actually pay money to be fed this utter drivel.
    They must think we are all brain dead.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    edited October 2021
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,730
    I would agree, though I would be curious of the gender make up of the critics as I have noticed that very few women find it remotely interesting.
  • rick_chasey
    Very pleased Curb made the top 25.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,791
    ddraver said:
    Thanks!
    Saved for future reference. Mad Men never appealed but must give it a trial.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey
    pblakeney said:

ddraver said:
    Thanks!
    I'd say like with the wire or with breaking bad etc, you need to stick with it.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,791

pblakeney said:

ddraver said:
    Thanks!
    I'd say like with the wire or with breaking bad etc, you need to stick with it.
    Hmmmm. I liked them from the start.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey
    Ha I found the second breaking bad series interminable and I took to watching it on the turbo to get through it. Glad I did.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Yeah, Mad Men never really stood out to me as a must-watch.

I need a new thing to watch...

(The Wire though....Lap 4?)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Mad Men was utterly brilliant as was the Wire.

Got to series 4 with Breaking Bad and just didn't enjoy it at all. Thought it was sh1te.
  • rick_chasey

Mad Men was utterly brilliant as was the Wire.

Got to series 4 with Breaking Bad and just didn't enjoy it at all. Thought it was sh1te.

Yeah it only gets good around the.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,415
    Currently on the second season of Dark, Netflix. Atmospheric moody German sci fi. Pretty good so far. Highly rated on IMDb.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,564

Are you sure you've been watching Breaking Bad and not Bradley Walsh's Breaking Dad?
    I still think Breaking Bad is my all-time favourite series.
  • rick_chasey
    masjer said:

Are you sure you've been watching Breaking Bad and not Bradley Walsh's Breaking Dad?
    I did find the pacing of breaking bad very frustrating early on. First half felt interminable.
  • Mad Men was utterly brilliant as was the Wire.

Only gets good after 4 series? So it was a good series and a half of a program then?
  • masjer said:

Definitely Breaking Bad. After all of the hype I was massively disappointed.
  • rick_chasey
    edited October 2021

Only gets good after 4 series? So it was a good series and a half of a program then?
    Yes. I only got through it because I wanted something to watch whilst turboing where I didn't care if I wasn't following every twist and turn because I happened to be doing an internval at that moment.

When it all ends you look back on it all and it gives the first have more resonance and meaning and you can see why. Honestly, season five was quite exhilarating.

The first two series were obviously affected by the writer's strike, hence the weird pacing there.

I also found some of the two handers to be a bit much.

If I can get a bit film studies about it, I always found Walter to be basically living out imposter syndrome.

It was only really when he said the "I am the one who knocks" that it clicked that he was actually believing his own hype and it was us who felt he was the imposter, and that he was therefore more evil than I gave him credit for. In hindsight it makes sense, given the breadcrumbing.

In the end I did like the idea he'd made this vast fortune whilst not ever really being your traditional kingpin. It felt very loose and arguably more real as a result.

I also found the fact he didn't tell his wife just irritating and unreal in the first couple series but towards the end the wife/husband relationship was probably the most interesting bit.

Equally, the brother in law at first comes across as a real cliche and fairly two dimensional until right at the end.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,042
    edited October 2021
    daniel_b said:

No no, it was canned, like I said on the previous page. Poor viewing figures, too depressing.

Look I'm sorry for your loss, does this help?

If you like pretty women police detectives there is: Le tueur du lac and Peur sur le lac. Both should be available with sub titles. It is pedestrian stuff but Julie de Bona is very easy on the eye. It has some of the film and production crew from Les Revenants who worked on it, which is obvious from the filmography which is top notch.

https://youtu.be/J-hNs2airW4

oh Les Revenants is worth watching, if you like gallic psychononsense hokum, it all kind of makes sense.

BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    edited October 2021

I would agree, though I would be curious of the gender make up of the critics as I have noticed that very few women find it remotely interesting.

Same.

Not long finished watching it (again) and found myself thinking how "tilted" towards men it is..

Breaking Bad was awesome, but I did struggle through first season or 2 and probably only persisted because of watching it whilst on the turbo.

I've just given up on re-watching The Soprano's, midway through season 2 and can't believe how badly it's aged. Some of the acting in season 1 is pi$$ poor.
  • davidof said:

daniel_b said:

No no, it was canned, like I said on the previous page. Poor viewing figures, too depressing.

Look I'm sorry for your loss, does this help?

If you like pretty women police detectives there is: Le tueur du lac and Peur sur le lac. Both should be available with sub titles. It is pedestrian stuff but Julie de Bona is very easy on the eye. It has some of the film and production crew from Les Revenants who worked on it, which is obvious from the filmography which is top notch.

https://youtu.be/J-hNs2airW4

oh Les Revenants is worth watching, if you like gallic psychononsense hokum, it all kind of makes sense.

There's also their original outing: Le mystère du lac, although that one wasn't filmed around Annecy.

Les Revenants had a very nice dam and is beautifully filmed.
    It's highly rated on Imdb, although I ultimately found it a bit unsatisfactory in terms of supplying answers.

• masjer said:

I did find the pacing of breaking bad very frustrating early on. First half felt interminable.
    Yup.
    I bailed after two series, wondering what on earth all the fuss was about.
  • rick_chasey
    edited October 2021
    Anyway, if you haven't watched The Wire, do.

Cannot recommend it highly enough - I think in this instance the poll has it right, it probably is the best show this century.

It is *easily* the best thing I have ever watched.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,922

Got hooked on The Wire from the start. Far too many unplanned late nights after two or three episodes on the trot.

Tired of Mad Men as I didn't like a single one of the characters, unlike The Wire (which I need to watch again, for, I think, the fourth time).

Gave up on Breaking Bad too. I've really got to have one character I'm rooting for. If not, I end up not caring.