*SPOILER* TOur of Yorkshire*SPOILER*

Comments

• gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    A great finish, but have to say that overall, the sheer difficulty of the stage made it less of a racing spectacle than we had in the two previous editions.

I think the poor field and the tough course was the problem. A better field would have raced it instead of just letting eisel tap out his own pace for 150km.

Its achieved is objective 100% again though. Huge crowds and great scenery along with some tough climbs that cyclists will want to do.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382
    Couple of photos from a little beyond Haworth.

The break:

37bstMHcWwAQDBvSHiu24P5pBaO8f5UjKazr8ayEy0Q-2048x1536.jpg

The peloton, with Bernie working the camera!

-HgAQ3ByW02rj-eEgX2yl0boTFfQPpF9Jx6SzxgLh_4-2048x1536.jpg
  • philwint
    philwint Posts: 763
    My mate took these on Shibden Wall - it's from FB so not 100% sure this will work......

18237948_10154287940282186_5420670333624936592_o.jpg?oh=b6c9159472c71460cfd9ffd4a34e3bd8&oe=598D5665

18156691_10154287906452186_6541022050821915577_o.jpg?oh=b883ba6bdfd9fda31c637569f7cbc8b2&oe=597DA823
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    Nice pics R0bh and Philwint

Edit : philwint's mate

Thanks for sharing
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    gsk82 wrote:
    No not quite. But was close with his bonus seconds.

That chase group was typical of a load of guys who don't win bike races.

Shocking really. Anyone could have gone with Fraille but didn't.
  • Superb team ride from DD.

The crowds were the star for me though, like others have said, let's have this as a 5 day race now please!
  • gsk82 wrote:

what you mean after they pulled him along for 10 km?
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,704
    gsk82 wrote:

what you mean after they pulled him along for 10 km?

Huh?
    Who was that guy I saw constantly sitting second wheel and chasing down anyone who moved during those 10kms?
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    Fraile looked super strong over the closing stages. I'm sure if anyone had the legs to go with him then they would have.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    Decent edition though agree maybe too back loaded to final 20k of 3 days. I'd like to see the women have more than 1 day before the men get 5 but whatever it needs to make it work economically has to be done as it blows many of the races on the calendar out of the water.

Crowds were fantastic - Yorkshire is a great county for bike racing the people and scenery really add to the spectacle on TV.

Did we find out what was up with Adam Blythe and his chuntering at TGH ?
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,704
    Shibben corner captured. Check it out until just about 1'-30" in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekbsGAiIkOc
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • thegibdog
    Decent edition though agree maybe too back loaded to final 20k of 3 days. I'd like to see the women have more than 1 day before the men get 5 but whatever it needs to make it work economically has to be done as it blows many of the races on the calendar out of the water.
    I thought it was a great finale. Personally though I think it'd be better if they were both one day races. I don't really see the point of such a short stage race. Make it a one day classic with as many cobbled climbs in there as possible.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,158
    thegibdog wrote:
    I thought it was a great finale. Personally though I think it'd be better if they were both one day races. I don't really see the point of such a short stage race. Make it a one day classic with as many cobbled climbs in there as possible.

Agreed, it could be a fantastic single day race. That's not to say it isn't good at the moment, I just think the terrain is perfect for a one day race. Up and down all day, narrow and twisty making it hard to control.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,158
    Shibben corner captured. Check it out until just about 1'-30" in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekbsGAiIkOc

:lol:
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Pross wrote:
    thegibdog wrote:

Agreed, it could be a fantastic single day race. That's not to say it isn't good at the moment, I just think the terrain is perfect for a one day race. Up and down all day, narrow and twisty making it hard to control.

Here's hoping they get the chance to prove it, WC 2019 & all that.
  • eric_draven
    eric_draven Posts: 1,192
    Bit late to post up as it's finished,but a few photos over a couple of days,thoroughly enjoyed it,and by heck I can see why it's called Shibden Wall,when you see pro's going slow you know it's tough

34370588615_1dc08ad696_k.jpg

34212340562_485b25916c_k.jpg

34212340582_2d4198cf7a_k.jpg

34212340632_9f9f8b598f_k.jpg

34370770615_95c1a06753_k.jpg

34370770685_ec4fd5b5d4_k.jpg

33986327070_625f3f5ded_k.jpg
  • Richmond Racer 2
    Richmond Racer 2 Posts: 4,698
    RonB wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    thegibdog wrote:

Here's hoping they get the chance to prove it, WC 2019 & all that.

Excited for 2019!
  • Richmond Racer 2
    Chris Sidwells (who knows Verity & who spoke with Prudhomme yday) is tweeting that the race will be 4 days next year
  • specialgueststar
    specialgueststar Posts: 3,418
    Just been speaking to the Belgium ? BMC drivers - they were at Manchester Airport - all riders had already flown out - he pointed in about 4 directions and said America --Belgium --Italy--- every where !

The feeling at BMC seems to be one of 'well we truly biggered that up' and he actually said they didnt ride 'smartly'
    - now Im standing in a coach park in Manchester on a grey Monday morning trying to repack my suitcase and some guys talking to me ( I did mention Moinard which did suddenly get his attention....'Yes Amael was here' (which felt a bit like 'he was amongst us)

Me (being all (too) chatty): So where you heading now with the coach?
    Him : Pull
    Me : Poole?
    Him No Poul
    Me Poole near Bournemouth? That's quite a drive
    Him No Hool
    Me Hool?
    Him Hull... Hull.
    Me Oh Hull . Well why didn't you go straight there from the finish?
    Him (now studying me) (slowly) because.. the riders .. they fly out

I thought I better not ask for a cap :)
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
  • thegibdog
    edited May 2017
    Chris Sidwells (who knows Verity & who spoke with Prudhomme yday) is tweeting that the race will be 4 days next year
    Verity has confirmed that the plan is for 4 days for the men, and also two days for the women.

I'm not sure that it'll make for more exciting racing but I guess it'll be good in terms of exposure.
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    ^That makes me happy :D
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Can't see the point in it being 4 days. Make it a week long tour or a 1-dayer

I'd say 1 day personally... No reason the course can't shift yearly a la the world champs. Frankly what it really needs now is to start attracting big names.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • specialgueststar
    specialgueststar Posts: 3,418
    I can see a four day getting a TT or a city centre
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    I can see a four day getting a TT or a city centre

A short evening tt would be good. Or short tt and short stage
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    You can't question the amazing support that the race has been getting, but personally I think a one day race would be better in terms of racing and in attracting some bigger names.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,642
    thegibdog wrote:
    Verity has confirmed that the plan is for 4 days for the men, and also two days for the women.

I'm not sure that it'll make for more exciting racing but I guess it'll be good in terms of exposure.

I though that was the plan for this year and BC blocked it. I presume those issues have been resolved.

Verity basically said on the podcast that he needed 4 days to attract the riders by giving an appropriate mix of stages, and 4 days was the only way to get 2 days for the women - I didn't quite get that bit.
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    thegibdog wrote:

But if you stick to the single day long race format then you surely won't attract the big name Classics riders, who have been racing to peak for P-R or the Ardennes and will be ready for a break, not grippy roads and b*stardly steep climbs in northern England. And we get a 6 hour race where potentially nothing happens for 4½ hours or more.

A 3 or 4 day event allows more teams and riders to get some exposure as well as showcasing various towns and parts of the county. I would have thought it is also a bigger magnet for sponsors, provide considerably more substantial tourism income and RoI for the councils and other bodies involved.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,648
    dish_dash wrote:
    and 4 days was the only way to get 2 days for the women - I didn't quite get that bit.

Presumably the women's event is loss making, so some of the money leftover from the men's can help subsidise the women's.

That's how I read it.
  • Richmond Racer 2
    Simon E wrote:
    thegibdog wrote:

But if you stick to the single day long race format then you surely won't attract the big name Classics riders, who have been racing to peak for P-R or the Ardennes and will be ready for a break, not grippy roads and b*stardly steep climbs in northern England. And we get a 6 hour race where potentially nothing happens for 4½ hours or more.

A 3 or 4 day event allows more teams and riders to get some exposure as well as showcasing various towns and parts of the county. I would have thought it is also a bigger magnet for sponsors, provide considerably more substantial tourism income and RoI for the councils and other bodies involved.

Exactly. After all, the event has to pay for itself. Start/finish towns = Bridlington, Scarborough, Tadcaster, Harrogate, Bradfor, Sheffield plus multiple regional councils stomping up the spondoolies.