snap general election?

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,394
    I didn't know you were so keen for your hard earned tax to be spent in Northern Ireland Stevo.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,395
    I didn't know you were so keen for your hard earned tax to be spent in Northern Ireland Stevo.
    £1bn on NI vs £90bn on the estimated cost of Corbyns manifesto promises? Easy decision to make.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,874
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    £1bn on NI vs £90bn on the estimated cost of Corbyns manifesto promises? Easy decision to make.
    What is the estimated cost of the Tory's manifesto promises?
    Not that it will matter as they don't stick to them anyway.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey
    Stevo 666 wrote:

I thought given the election was entirely avoidable, that £1bn was also avoidable, wouldn't you agree?
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    One things for sure, the price tag of £1bn for a load of votes which she most probably already had looks like a classic example of the public sector largess that Stevo is always parroting on about.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • Won't the £1b "bribe" simply translate to extra public spending in NI? Not a bad thing in its own right if "austerity" is bad, notwithstanding the morality of the move. Or have I missed something and Arlene Foster is going to trouser the whole lot?
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    I am finding it very entertaining - in a depressing kind of way - how all the anti-austerity people are aghast at extra public spending in NI (which despite a lot of advances, remains largely poor and depressed) while, err, certain right-wing types, are rushing to defend it.
    What refreshing times we live in.
  • bompington wrote:
    I am finding it very entertaining - in a depressing kind of way - how all the anti-austerity people are aghast at extra public spending in NI (which despite a lot of advances, remains largely poor and depressed) while, err, certain right-wing types, are rushing to defend it.

Unfortunately it is the new normal.

For this parliament and the next election there will be no further attempts by the conservatives to balance the books and reduce the deficit. They will also have to promise spending to bribe the electorate for their vote.

While the Labour party have seen their route to power and the electorate bribes will be well over £100bn. I would not be surprised it being double what they promised this time.

Who and how this is paid for will be a problem left to future generations. :(
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,671
    Won't the £1b "bribe" simply translate to extra public spending in NI? Not a bad thing in its own right if "austerity" is bad, notwithstanding the morality of the move. Or have I missed something and Arlene Foster is going to trouser the whole lot?

She might burn it, like the KLF.
  • rick_chasey
    bompington wrote:

I think you're missing the point.

I like seeing Tories who have supported austerity squirm, using their own logic.

That doesn't mean I agree with their logic.

Hence posts like this:
    so NI costs us over £9bn a year. Over two years this is a mere 5% increase.

With a bit of luck it will open up a proper debate about whether the £9bn is a good use of public funds

As someone who broadly agrees with Simon Wren Lewis (https://mainlymacro.blogspot.co.uk/2017 ... stent.html , https://mainlymacro.blogspot.co.uk/2015 ... macro.html , https://mainlymacro.blogspot.co.uk/2017 ... n-our.html ) It will be interesting to see if a big burst of public spending will have a positive impact.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867
    bompington wrote:

I think you're missing the point.

I like seeing Tories who have supported austerity squirm, using their own logic.

That doesn't mean I agree with their logic.

Hence posts like this:
    so NI costs us over £9bn a year. Over two years this is a mere 5% increase.

With a bit of luck it will open up a proper debate about whether the £9bn is a good use of public funds

As someone who broadly agrees with Simon Wren Lewis (https://mainlymacro.blogspot.co.uk/2017 ... stent.html , https://mainlymacro.blogspot.co.uk/2015 ... macro.html , https://mainlymacro.blogspot.co.uk/2017 ... n-our.html ) It will be interesting to see if a big burst of public spending will have a positive impact.

my refusal to use emojis and maybe some judicious editing (can't be bothered to check) means that this does not support your argument.

Not only am I against the £1bn, I am against the £9bn!!! and that if you disagree with the £1bn over 2 years why are you not looking at the £9bn per year.

My position is that debt is bad and that we not only need to eliminate the deficit but to go out the other side and pay back the debt. We have now reached a stage when we are in danger of reaching consensus that a £46bn a year deficit is acceptable
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Stormont indefinitely suspended then. Statement on Monday as to what happens.

Wonder if the Conservatives will see this as "working towards the formation of a new NI executive."
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • rick_chasey
    I'm all for a bit of well placed fiscal expansion to improve productivity and growth.

So, I have no specific issue with either the £9bn or the £1bn.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 28,969
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    He's not in government. He didn't win. Just because a Corbyn government would be 'worse', doesn't diminish the scale of the TM orchestrated farce. The alternative to TM agreeing a deal with the DUP was not agreeing a deal. The DUP would have voted against Corbyn's amendment to the QS anyway.

@Bompington: I think the bit that sticks in the craw is the contrast between the rhetoric of having to continue with austerity, seemingly indefinitely, for the good of the country, and that being brushed aside in a couple of days to try and patch up a self inflicted f*** up.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • surrey_commuter
    I'm all for a bit of well placed fiscal expansion to improve productivity and growth.

how much longer should they continue with fiscal expansion in NI before conceding defeat?
  • Lookyhere
    Lookyhere Posts: 987

how much longer should they continue with fiscal expansion in NI before conceding defeat?

At a guess 2022 ?
  • rick_chasey

Depends what you constitute a victory and a defeat.
  • rick_chasey

My position is that debt is bad and that we not only need to eliminate the deficit but to go out the other side and pay back the debt. We have now reached a stage when we are in danger of reaching consensus that a £46bn a year deficit is acceptable

Yes we fundamentally disagree on this.

I am of the strong view that the reason the UK has never really fully recovered from the crash was because the fiscal side of stimulation was withheld and indeed reverse through austerity. I think the US is a great example of how well timed fiscal stimulation can be really beneficial to restarting an economy.

In the UK, the monetary side did its bit, but as we can see, it's run out of ammo, as per this chart:

bank-of-england-base-rate-rate-chartbuilder-570a66af5ed16.png

That chart, to me anyway, shows a failure of the fiscal side to step up to the plate.

I'm also quite convinced about the impact of 'economic scaring' as a result of things like heavy austerity and recessions, that hinder future growth a long way into the future.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 28,969
    Something good to come out of this mess at least.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... -amendment

Musical chairs on the Labour front bench again. :roll: Honeymoon over already?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • surrey_commuter

Yes we fundamentally disagree on this.

I am of the strong view that the reason the UK has never really fully recovered from the crash was because the fiscal side of stimulation was withheld and indeed reverse through austerity. I think the US is a great example of how well timed fiscal stimulation can be really beneficial to restarting an economy.

In the UK, the monetary side did its bit, but as we can see, it's run out of ammo, as per this chart:

bank-of-england-base-rate-rate-chartbuilder-570a66af5ed16.png

That chart, to me anyway, shows a failure of the fiscal side to step up to the plate.

I'm also quite convinced about the impact of 'economic scaring' as a result of things like heavy austerity and recessions, that hinder future growth a long way into the future.

Not sure how that chart shows a failure on the fiscal side.
    Annual growth rates were looking fine until December 2015 - not sure what kicked off then that seems to have put us ina decline
    https://tradingeconomics.com/united-kin ... wth-annual

How about this for a theory. Since 2011 we have had fiscal stimulation in excess of £40bn almost literally helicoptered into the hands of consumers. God bless PPI.
  • rick_chasey
    edited June 2017
    Well quite. I think by any standard the UK recovery had been very slow; particularly in productivity. Arguably the growth of GDP has been down to an influx of, wait for it, immigranrs, a lot of whom are at working age

I think that's down to a basic lack of stimulus in the first 2-3 years post crash.

We've basically got full employment as a result of no wage increase and even decreases, rather buoyant demand.
  • surrey_commuter
    Well quite. I think by any standard the UK recovery had been very slow; particularly in productivity. Arguably the growth of GDP has been down to an influx of, wait for it, net immigration, a lot of whom are at working age

I think that's down to a basic lack of stimulus in the first 2-3 years post crash.

We've basically got full employment as a result of no wage increase and even decreases, rather buoyant demand.

As our long term natural rate of growth is 2-2.5% I don't think we could have hoped for much better. I agree the problem is that real household income is not rising.

So if we have identified productivity growth and a lack of investment as a problem how does fiscal easing solve the problem, sure that would only make demand more buoyant?

I still think we invest too much money in property in this country so would continue to clamp down on the tax advantages of BTL mortgages. Get that hot money chasing other opportunities.
  • rick_chasey
    Well quite. I think by any standard the UK recovery had been very slow; particularly in productivity. Arguably the growth of GDP has been down to an influx of, wait for it, net immigration, a lot of whom are at working age

As our long term natural rate of growth is 2-2.5% I don't think we could have hoped for much better. I agree the problem is that real household income is not rising.

So if we have identified productivity growth and a lack of investment as a problem how does fiscal easing solve the problem, sure that would only make demand more buoyant?

I still think we invest too much money in property in this country so would continue to clamp down on the tax advantages of BTL mortgages. Get that hot money chasing other opportunities.

I don't disagree with the last point.

Usually growth is a fair bit faster after a recession as there is some catching up to do - that never happened.

I think there is definitely a level of gov't spending; on things like infrastructure (I wonder how expensive having unreliable trains are, for example?), better education (i.e. better paid teachers), more impactful attempts to reduce poverty (and so have more socially healthy people who are likely to be more productive), or simply significantly bigger tax cuts for bottom end earners.

I do genuinely think austerity has created some economic scars.

I imagine it's not that hard to get a fairly good handle on where you get the best return on your state spending/tax cutting.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,673
    rjsterry wrote:
    The alternative to TM agreeing a deal with the DUP was not agreeing a deal. The DUP would have voted against Corbyn's amendment to the QS anyway.
    A bad deal is better than no deal? Good to see more consistency from our strong and stable leader.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,159
  • rick_chasey
    So on the state of the current economy; as we have read countless times, its consumption that's propping GDP up.

However, the savings ratio has fallen through the floor, suggesting this is unsustainable:
    DDjw0qWXUAIlsLC.jpg
  • Usually growth is a fair bit faster after a recession as there is some catching up to do - that never happened..

The fast growth never happened because of the fiscal policies deployed to mitigate this recession.

Normally the weakest fail quickly by having their legs chopped off, but this time is was death by a thousand cuts as the weakest businesses were facilitated( by ultra low interest rates) to continue running. These businesses then chased volume by pushing down prices meaning the stronger businesses followed to compete and reigned in spending to lower costs.

9 years later and not a huge amount has changed except the economy is even more sensitive to the debt within it. This time though, almost all the fiscal levers have already been deployed.
  • surrey_commuter
    Usually growth is a fair bit faster after a recession as there is some catching up to do - that never happened..

The fast growth never happened because of the fiscal policies deployed to mitigate this recession.

Normally the weakest fail quickly by having their legs chopped off, but this time is was death by a thousand cuts as the weakest businesses were facilitated( by ultra low interest rates) to continue running. These businesses then chased volume by pushing down prices meaning the stronger businesses followed to compete and reigned in spending to lower costs.

9 years later and not a huge amount has changed except the economy is even more sensitive to the debt within it. This time though, almost all the fiscal levers have already been deployed.

Not sure if you are just saying that because it is the opposite of what Rick said but one of you needs to Google fiscal policy/easing
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    Turn on the taps and borrow, give public sector pay rises when the economy is weak and the future is bleak (EU). The tories are looking even more shambolic now.