snap general election?

Comments

• surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    These quotes sum up why I am anti any Labour government. It's why the young are wrong and the old are correct
    Life is a succession of lessons which must be lived to be understood.
    Good judgement comes from bad experience
    Wisdom is the reward for surviving our own stupidity.

Is the correct answer - the 2nd train will arrive in York first
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 18,027
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    orraloon wrote:
    Ach, let's get to the nub. So, is Coopster a Stevo mini me? Or is Coopster a Stevo alter-ego? We need da troof.
    Can I claim you are are the alter ego of any leftie tw@t on the forum if you happen to agree with them? :wink:
    Well, your use of insult (though at least you've avoided "snowflake" in this persona) doesn't disprove orraloon's conjecture.

Hmm, "Orraloon's Conjecture"? Is that like "Fermat's Theorem", in Bike Radar terms??
    I only asked a question...

As for your second sentence above, can you rephrase in plain English please?
    Are all regular rabid Telegraph readers tightie righties? (Don't take it personally - I'm only asking a question.)

And no, not really. Though I can explain Fermat's Theorem...
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,310
    These quotes sum up why I am anti any Labour government. It's why the young are wrong and the old are correct
    Life is a succession of lessons which must be lived to be understood.
    Good judgement comes from bad experience
    Wisdom is the reward for surviving our own stupidity.
    Riding a bicycle is the summit of human endeavour - an almost neutral environmental effect coupled with the ability to travel substantial distances without disturbing anybody.

J Corbyn, aged 68.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,692
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    orraloon wrote:
    Ach, let's get to the nub. So, is Coopster a Stevo mini me? Or is Coopster a Stevo alter-ego? We need da troof.
    Can I claim you are are the alter ego of any leftie tw@t on the forum if you happen to agree with them? :wink:
    Well, your use of insult (though at least you've avoided "snowflake" in this persona) doesn't disprove orraloon's conjecture.

Hmm, "Orraloon's Conjecture"? Is that like "Fermat's Theorem", in Bike Radar terms??

Are all regular rabid Telegraph readers tightie righties? (Don't take it personally - I'm only asking a question.)

Stop being a smartarse and explain what you mean if you want me to respond :roll:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 18,027
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    orraloon wrote:

Stop being a smartarse and explain what you mean if you want me to respond :roll:
    I was merely playing with words - not expecting a response at all, as it wasn't a dig or an insult... though I can pretend it was, if you'd prefer, and make something up.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,726
    Orraloon's Conjecture 8) I look forward to reading the copious Wikipedia entry in due course.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,692
    I was merely playing with words - not expecting a response at all, as it wasn't a dig or an insult... though I can pretend it was, if you'd prefer, and make something up.
    Looks like you can't stop. Waste of time.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • orraloon wrote:
    Orraloon's Conjecture 8) I look forward to reading the copious Wikipedia entry in due course.

Orraloon's Conjecture = Leftie tw@ts view

No need to waste a wiki page on it!
  • orraloon
    Yip BT, def found the chink in the endoskeleton there. Carry on sir.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    orraloon wrote:
    A chink in the endoskeleton isn't much good. What you need is an orifice in the exoskeleton.
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    orraloon wrote:

Does everyone who makes you feel intellectually inferior and incapable of an appropriate response, by default, a leftie tw@t or snowflake?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,853
    orraloon wrote:

Why not?
    We have wasted 99 pages here already.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • orraloon
    bompington wrote:
    orraloon wrote:
    A chink in the endoskeleton isn't much good. What you need is an orifice in the exoskeleton.
    Ah but these Chinese chappies are deuced clever, dontcha know.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,752
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Shortfall wrote:
    https://order-order.com/2017/06/26/nigel-dodds-threatens-publish-labour-correspondence-dup/

Oh please yes do it, let's hear all the gory details about these hypocrites on the left.
    And presumably the hypocrites in the DUP who have been saying that they will talk do anything to keep Labour out. :?

They have been saying anything to keep Corbyn out, not Labour.
    Whats wrong with that?

Nothing, just pointing out that it's not hypocritical either.
    I don't think you get the one without the other, at least for the foreseeable. And certainly not after all the non-believers have been re-educated or deselected. Just thought it was a bit rich for the DUP to be all holier than thou. Clearly they'll sell to the highest bidder.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    rjsterry wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Shortfall wrote:
    https://order-order.com/2017/06/26/nigel-dodds-threatens-publish-labour-correspondence-dup/

Oh please yes do it, let's hear all the gory details about these hypocrites on the left.
    And presumably the hypocrites in the DUP who have been saying that they will talk do anything to keep Labour out. :?

Whats wrong with that?

I don't think you get the one without the other, at least for the foreseeable. And certainly not after all the non-believers have been re-educated or deselected. Just thought it was a bit rich for the DUP to be all holier than thou. Clearly they'll sell to the highest bidder.

I think the point is that whilst the left are crying foul and likening the DUP to the Taliban for it's morally conservative policies, they weren't overly bother them when they were desperate for a deal with them. It's also too funny to see the left complaining about the government spraying public money around, wasn't that the essence of Corbyn's manifesto? Free unicorns for everyone and all that? The Tories fcuked up the election and they're forced into doing a deal which exactly what any of the others would have done in the same situation.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,853
    My thinking is that other parties would have been more subtle.
    Want some infrastructure, a bridge, a hospital, a runway...

"Here's some money" was cack handed at best. Even if it amounts to the same.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,799
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    orraloon wrote:

Now now, you don't want to be falling for that old trick.

viewtopic.php?f=40088&t=13028650&start=13680#p20162071
  • surrey_commuter
    so NI costs us over £9bn a year. Over two years this is a mere 5% increase.

With a bit of luck it will open up a proper debate about whether the £9bn is a good use of public funds
  • rick_chasey

With a bit of luck it will open up a proper debate about whether the £9bn is a good use of public funds

As someone who broadly agrees with Simon Wren Lewis (https://mainlymacro.blogspot.co.uk/2017 ... stent.html , https://mainlymacro.blogspot.co.uk/2015 ... macro.html , https://mainlymacro.blogspot.co.uk/2017 ... n-our.html ) It will be interesting to see if a big burst of public spending will have a positive impact.
  • kingstongraham
    rjsterry wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Shortfall wrote:

Whats wrong with that?

Not so. They were willing to talk to Labour when it was Brown or Milliband, but not when it is Corbyn. For understandable reasons. That's not hypocrisy.

You can't get Labour without Corbyn now, but I don't think anyone has suggested the DUP were proposing a deal with Labour after this election were they?
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,752
    rjsterry wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Shortfall wrote:

Whats wrong with that?

Not so. They were willing to talk to Labour when it was Brown or Milliband, but not when it is Corbyn. For understandable reasons. That's not hypocrisy.

You can't get Labour without Corbyn now, but I don't think anyone has suggested the DUP were proposing a deal with Labour after this election were they?
    So they'll not talk to Corbyn because of his sympathetic views on Irish Republicanism, but don't mind too much taking endorsements from Loyalists. Smells like it to me. To be clear, I don't expect anyone in NI politics to have clean hands, and agree that comments about the Taliban were pretty silly. That said, there are clearly plenty in the Conservative party who are holding their noses.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • kingstongraham
    On the plus side, this deal will more than make up for the money wasted by the "Cash for ash" scheme.
  • surrey_commuter

As someone who broadly agrees with Simon Wren Lewis (https://mainlymacro.blogspot.co.uk/2017 ... stent.html , https://mainlymacro.blogspot.co.uk/2015 ... macro.html , https://mainlymacro.blogspot.co.uk/2017 ... n-our.html ) It will be interesting to see if a big burst of public spending will have a positive impact.

The public sector already accounts for 25% of the Northern Irish economy - I know you can not look at it in isolation but there is a good argument to be made that it is squeezing out the private sector
  • rick_chasey
    Fair enough.

I'm not familiar with NI politics to comment much more.
  • rick_chasey
    I do believe the Tory DUP negotiation outcome aligns with my theory that FPTP makes for low calibre politicians, particularly around the grubby part of negotiation and horse trading.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    I do believe the Tory DUP negotiation outcome aligns with my theory that FPTP makes for low calibre politicians, particularly around the grubby part of negotiation and horse trading.

It does appear that T May has spent a significant amount of money buying something that was already hers. Was it so hard to say to the DUP "I'm not going to do a formal deal with you, because the alternative is Jeremy Corbyn, which is totally unpalatable for you"

Although I guess arguably FPTP has resulted in high calibre politicians on the DUP side, who have negotiated well?
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • surrey_commuter
    Jez mon wrote:

It does appear that T May has spent a significant amount of money buying something that was already hers. Was it so hard to say to the DUP "I'm not going to do a formal deal with you, because the alternative is Jeremy Corbyn, which is totally unpalatable for you"

Although I guess arguably FPTP has resulted in high calibre politicians on the DUP side, who have negotiated well?

Stormont uses PR
  • surrey_commuter
    Fair enough.

economics not politics.

Just checked and 31% of the workforce is in the private sector. As public sector does not do regional pay these will be paying well compared to local rates. This means that you do not get the benefits of the private sector moving in to take advantage of an abundant well educated and relatively cheap workforce.

other economic theories are available
  • rick_chasey
    Fair enough.

economics not politics.

Just checked and 31% of the workforce is in the private sector. As public sector does not do regional pay these will be paying well compared to local rates. This means that you do not get the benefits of the private sector moving in to take advantage of an abundant well educated and relatively cheap workforce.

Is there not a tax element to it, given Ireland is down the road?

Like I said, I don't know much about NI.

In my mind it's a sh!thole, but then, rather like Africa, I only really see it when it's on fire or stuff is particularly grim. What advantages are there to be in NI over, Ireland, or indeed, the mainland?
  • surrey_commuter
    Fair enough.

economics not politics.

Is there not a tax element to it, given Ireland is down the road?

Like I said, I don't know much about NI.

In my mind it's a sh!thole, but then, rather like Africa, I only really see it when it's on fire or stuff is particularly grim. What advantages are there to be in NI over, Ireland, or indeed, the mainland?

they seem to offer quite a lot of funding and support
    https://www.investni.com/index.html