Paris Roubaix 2017 -*SPOILERS*

Comments

• onyourright
    onyourright Posts: 509
    GvA is in great form and will beat most in a sprint. You’d be foolish to dismiss him based on weight. Dismiss him for his (comparatively) weak team if you must.

Speaking of his riding position, look how far back his saddle his. That’s how you’re supposed to ride cobbles.

What a pity Vanmarcke is out.

It would be hilarious to see someone like Durbridge do a Hayman on Boonen. But if Boonen pulls this off it’ll be the greatest story ever told.

Demare must be in with a shout.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,704
    Zebedee Stybar: 71kgs- 6th, 5th, 2nd in his first 3 goes.
    Terpstra is a fair bit taller than GVA and weighs 1kg more.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,648
    Meh, I think PR is not for GvA.
  • mechanism
    mechanism Posts: 891
    Could add Boasson Hagen at 73kg according to Wikipedia, although I agree with the prototypical shape being tall and 80+ kg.
  • lyn1
    lyn1 Posts: 261
    okgo wrote:
    Weight doesn't = watts always, Rick.

true, but it does help to keep the rear wheel on the ground on rough terrain which ensures the power generated is maximised.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    He was 3rd in 2015 and 4th in 2013. And now he's a better rider. He's certainly a contender.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    RichN95 wrote:
    He was 3rd in 2015 and 4th in 2013. And now he's a better rider. He's certainly a contender.

Agree totally. Got to be taken seriously this Sunday.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    Tony Gallopin is riding for the first time since 2012, so as one of my men I'm hoping he will be up there come the end.
  • rick_chasey
    RichN95 wrote:

Meh, I don't think he's all that.

2015 wasn't as selective as PR normally is.

Greg can and does attack in Flanders, but can only really follow in Roubaix.
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    Demare must be in with a shout.

I'm on him @ 66/1. With my history that means he'll fall at the first hurdle cobbled sector and be euthanised by the course vet.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    I may come back to revise this post, but I do think it's shame that Geraint Thomas is focusing on the GTs rather than the classics.

bettiniphoto_0180870_1_full_1_670.jpg
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,771
    I may come back to revise this post, but I do think it's shame that Geraint Thomas is focusing on the GTs rather than the classics.

I like that you used a GT picture to illustrate your point ;)
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • spam02
    spam02 Posts: 178

..........but it does give Stannard and Rowe the opportunity to really go for it.
  • salsiccia1
    CarbonClem wrote:

Great spot :D
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    CarbonClem wrote:

Great spot :D

:)
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    Last year's Orica Backstage Pass from P-R:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zxnA4asj44

I've watched it loads of times since last year... I know some of you don't like Backstage Pass but

5008_9c00_420.gif
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,455
    Don't understand where the Luke Rowe love is coming from. He gets the odd top ten result even in Paris-Roubaix, but never really seems in proper contention. Any pro could land a lucky punch on a given day, but I'd hardly consider him more than an "also ran".
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • rick_chasey
    White socks innit.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    M.R.M. wrote:
    Don't understand where the Luke Rowe love is coming from. He gets the odd top ten result even in Paris-Roubaix, but never really seems in proper contention. Any pro could land a lucky punch on a given day, but I'd hardly consider him more than an "also ran".
    He consistently makes the selection when a group of around a dozen favourites forms - he just needs to translate it into wins or podiums.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • onyourright
    I haven’t noticed anything consistent, but maybe he rides too near the front – thus improving his odds of being in a good break but also guaranteeing he’ll be tired.

Meanwhile, Phinney is out. He had emotional ups and downs on a training ride yesterday. Yeah.

Maybe Cannondale-Drapac should just fly home.
  • rick_chasey
    I haven’t noticed anything consistent, but maybe he rides too near the front – thus improving his odds of being in a good break but also guaranteeing he’ll be tired.

Meanwhile, Phinney is out. He had emotional ups and downs on a training ride yesterday. Yeah.

Ah don't knock him for feeling weird as a result of a concussion.

The mind is still very mysterious. It was a big ol' smash.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,704
    RichN95 wrote:
    M.R.M. wrote:
    He consistently makes the selection when a group of around a dozen favourites forms - he just needs to translate it into wins or podiums.

Had Vanmarcke not crashed, the Muur selection would have continued to work together until late in the race.
    Most of them would never have been seen again, not just Gilbert.
    Luke could well have got onto the podium.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • spam02
    M.R.M. wrote:

I would consider 2 out of the last 6 winners of Paris Roubaix as 'also-ran/outsiders'. It's an attritional race and luck plays a big part. He may not be a bookies favourite, but don't write him off that easily. There's been plenty of lucky punch victories at PR over the years from tier 2 or lower riders.
  • spam02
    ...............still not going to pick him for PTP though :D
  • salsiccia1

Ah don't knock him for feeling weird as a result of a concussion.

The mind is still very mysterious. It was a big ol' smash.

Yep. He's had a concussion before, and it's a big risk to ride whilst suffering the effects, even without the feeling like crap element. Only sensible option really.
  • onyourright
    Andrew Hood says “Tailwinds always favor pure strength.” I wonder what that means for Sunday, with tailwinds and crosswinds forecasted.
  • rick_chasey
    Rick always says “Tailwinds always favor pure strength.” I wonder what that means for Sunday, with tailwinds and crosswinds forecasted.

FTFY...

But OMG - is that right - cross-tail??????

:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    edited April 2017
    Hey look boys, a child wrote a school project about it

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/cycling/ ... the-north/
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • yourpaceormine
    yourpaceormine Posts: 1,245
    ddraver wrote:
    Hey, look boys a child wrote a school project about it

That comment belittles children's school projects. All of the children in my household (4), whilst of primary age, would have written a more coherent, less patronising, and significantly more accurate piece than that ("Ian Standard"!!)
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,158
    ddraver wrote:
    Hey, look boys a child wrote a school project about it

That comment belittles children's school projects. All of the children in my household (4), whilst of primary age, would have written a more coherent, less patronising, and significantly more accurate piece than that ("Ian Standard"!!)

To be fair, we aren't the target audience and for people who know nothing about cycling it's an OK summary although it misses a chance to show just how bad the pave can be. The typos are bad though, Owain Doll as well as Ian Standard - makes it look like they got information from UK Cycling Expert!