Paris Roubaix 2017 -*SPOILERS*

milton50
milton50 Posts: 3,856
edited April 2017 in Pro race
Conversation has started to turn to Paris Roubaix so I thought I might as well start the thread.

I doubt many of you will need to be reminded of the course but here it is: 29 pave sections over 257km ending in a velodrome. Cross the line first and you receive a sett, a shower with your name on it and eternal respect o your peers.

profile.jpg

Comments

• milton50
    Some people have been asking whether QS will be 100% riding for Boonen. If I put the question another way; what is Quick Step's best chance of winning this race?
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    Thought Bonnen looked good until his problems on Sunday. I'd back him can't see a better choice for QS
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,648
    Thought Bonnen looked good until his problems on Sunday. I'd back him can't see a better choice for QS

Former winner and podium on Sunday Terpstra?
  • Milton50 wrote:
    Some people have been asking whether QS will be 100% riding for Boonen. If I put the question another way; what is Quick Step's best chance of winning this race?
    If nothing else from a "maximum publicity for your sponsors" view point it has to be Boonen. It would be the textbook dream result. He's more than capable, so surely he's the one they ride for.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    They've got to go Boonen. They'll need troops on the streets in Flanders if they don't.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • salsiccia1
    I'm a bit torn about P-R this year. My wife has very kindly arranged for us to spend the afternoon and evening with sport-ignorant friends. Do I:
    - keep a surreptitious eye on t'interweb for updates
    - record it and watch it as live in the early hours when we get home
    - risk divorce by refusing to go and stay in to watch it live?
  • rick_chasey
    Anyway, it's a cobbled classic, so do don't need to choose who to ride for untill quite deep in the race.

It's more if you're a rider who gives a wheel or takes a wheel.

That's about it.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,455
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    I'm a bit torn about P-R this year. My wife has very kindly arranged for us to spend the afternoon and evening with sport-ignorant friends. Do I:

Best option: reschedule. It's the best race of the year. Meeting them for dinner after the race might be an option as well.

Second best option: record it and avoid your phone and watch it when you get back home.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • rick_chasey
    Record it.

S'what I'll be doing.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160

Former winner and podium on Sunday Terpstra?

To continue our discussion on the Flanders thread, I don't see Terpstra as a winner if he was unable to win the sprint for second, despite getting a tow for most of the finale (and although it did look like he was chasing at one stage I'm not suggesting he should have taken a more of a turn).
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    Id like to see Luke Rowe win one day but this year its hard to tell GVA Sagan Terpstre all looking good. I would vote for Sep Vanmarke this year but the cannondale green seems unlucky :)

Is he even racing after Sundays mishap?
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    I've got Boonen down as one of the top favourites for this - right up there with GvA and even very slightly above Sagan - not just as a sentimental pick I reckon he's shown decent form, he's shown that when he avoids bad luck he is always in the mix for this one and what sets him apart from the other really big favourites is the strength of his team.

If Quickstep get the tactics right I think they'll win it so either Boonen or someone else on the back of Boonen being marked out of it.

As for the afternoon with friends dilemma - I'd want to watch at least from Arenberg "as live" so either turn up late, leave early or cancel - maybe if the friends have Eurosport ask ahead if you can watch the last couple of hours.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Record it sausage. I went to the FA Cup semi final a few years ago the day of Terpstra's win.

Recorded it and watched it as soon as I got home. Think I went to bed at half 3, which after a day on the ale at the football made for a very bad head the next day.

This is my absolute favourite race of the year, and if Tom Boonen wins I will have a very bad head on Monday. Although it's not a necessity that Boonen wins to bring on the bad head !

Rob Hatch on Comms, which is great, as it's the most important race of the year for rider identification. I enjoyed what ES did last year with the 3 hander, made it feel like TMS
  • spam02
    spam02 Posts: 178

Rob Hatch on Comms, which is great, as it's the most important race of the year for rider identification. I enjoyed what ES did last year with the 3 hander, made it feel like TMS

Do you know who's co-commentating with Hatch?
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    With the epicness (epicosity?) of Gilbert's win on Sunday, I believe watching the '94 Paris-Roubaix might be in order:

https://youtu.be/Kn4gzxNQbuM
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,449
    SPaM02 wrote:

Kelly.
  • salsiccia1
    andyp wrote:
    SPaM02 wrote:

Kelly.

Great news. Hatch sees it really well and Kelly is the king.
  • thegibdog
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    andyp wrote:
    SPaM02 wrote:
    Kelly.
    Hatch says it'll be the same team as last year so Quigley will be there too. It worked really well last time. Although I've gone off Kelly a bit following his girls/pros comments on Sunday.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    I'll open the PTP thread for this today - I've been out and about and not had the chance...
  • Salsiccia1 wrote:
    andyp wrote:
    SPaM02 wrote:

Kelly.

Yusssss, result
  • thegibdog wrote:
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    andyp wrote:
    SPaM02 wrote:
    Kelly.
    Hatch says it'll be the same team as last year so Quigley will be there too. It worked really well last time. Although I've gone off Kelly a bit following his girls/pros comments on Sunday.

What did he say?
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,642
    Salsiccia1 wrote:

How about making them watch it with you! It's what I did a couple of years ago... though admittedly only for the final hour... they rather enjoyed it!
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    thegibdog wrote:

Missed that what did he say ?
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • bobmcstuff
    dish_dash wrote:
    Salsiccia1 wrote:

How about making them watch it with you! It's what I did a couple of years ago... though admittedly only for the final hour... they rather enjoyed it!

Eurosport player on the phone - I assume they have wifi?
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog wrote:
    Although I've gone off Kelly a bit following his girls/pros comments on Sunday.
    What did he say?
    That the 'girls are good for waiting for the pros to finish' but at least they got to ride on the same day.
  • milton50
    Hmm. Not a great comment from a legend.
  • bobmcstuff
    Paddypower currently has:
    Sagan 11/4
    Boonen 5/1
    Degenkolb 6/1 (really??)
    GVA 10/1
    Terpstra/Vanmarke/Stannard 16/1
    Kristoff/EBH 18/1

Surely that overstates Degenkolb's chances?
  • bobmcstuff wrote:
    Sagan 11/4
    Boonen 5/1
    Degenkolb 6/1 (really??)
    GVA 10/1
    Kristoff/EBH 18/1

EBH. Yet again. No no no.
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Sagan 11/4
    Boonen 5/1
    Degenkolb 6/1 (really??)
    GVA 10/1
    Kristoff/EBH 18/1

I think that overstates Sagan's chances too!
  • thegibdog
    r0bh wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Sagan 11/4
    Boonen 5/1
    Degenkolb 6/1 (really??)
    GVA 10/1
    Kristoff/EBH 18/1

I think that overstates Sagan's chances too!
    Have they not seen how round his back is?!