2018 Transfers: Rumours + Facts

Comments

• dav1d1
    dav1d1 Posts: 653
    DGK8DVcXYAAGi0F?format=jpg&name=large

Froome put that tour win money to good use!
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Martijn Tusveld (Roompot) has a two year contract with Sunweb. He's had some good GC results in Lux, Suisse and Austria Tours this season, and a decent TT.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    Warren Barguil has announced his retirement from competitive cycling. He will instead ride for Fortuneo-Oscaro next season.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RonB
    :D

Does that mean they will be heading for WT then? Like Bora last year on signing Sagan?

I see Moinard and Hubert are heading there as well.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    RichN95 wrote:
    Warren Barguil has announced his retirement from competitive cycling. He will instead ride for Fortuneo-Oscaro next season.

:lol:
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,577
    Castroviejo to sky for 3 years

Totally expected, if not for a 3 year stretch.

Movistar starting to look lightweight in the big engine department.

Is this confirmed, can't find anything about it on t'internet - not saying this means it hasn't happened, just saying I can't find anything :D
    Is a 3 year contract for a rider who will be 31 next April unusual?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • RichN95.
    Daniel B wrote:
    Castroviejo to sky for 3 years

Totally expected, if not for a 3 year stretch.

Movistar starting to look lightweight in the big engine department.

Is this confirmed, can't find anything about it on t'internet - not saying this means it hasn't happened, just saying I can't find anything :D
    Is a 3 year contract for a rider who will be 31 next April unusual?
    Sky don't tend to announce new signings until the end of the seasons (excepting new pros).

Castroviejo's long term coach works for Sky so it's an obvious move. They'll probably try to make him into a new Kiryienka (who is 36)
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,577
    Nice one, thankyou Rich.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    The barguil move is an odd one. I get that he wants to ride the tour and he'd be behind Tom Dum in the pecking order, and I get that he's a Breton rider signing for a Breton team. But it's just...odd. And for three years too.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,586
    The_Boy wrote:
    The barguil move is an odd one. I get that he wants to ride the tour and he'd be behind Tom Dum in the pecking order, and I get that he's a Breton rider signing for a Breton team. But it's just...odd. And for three years too.

21st Century Virenque.

Expect him to go exclusively for polka dots and stage in the Tour.

Whadda waste.
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    The_Boy wrote:

21st Century Virenque.

Whadda waste.

But unless I'm misremembering, he was talking about focusing on GC again, wasn't he?
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • rick_chasey
    The_Boy wrote:
    The_Boy wrote:

21st Century Virenque.

Whadda waste.

But unless I'm misremembering, he was talking about focusing on GC again, wasn't he?

Becase Fortuneo-Oscaro can handle that?
  • "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,558

ugh... my man, really?!?
  • The_Boy wrote:
    The_Boy wrote:

21st Century Virenque.

Whadda waste.

Sunweb a bit busy with Dumolin and Kelderman ? I was reading about Barguils earlier (simpler) days . He started it all for Bretagne Schuller - so not sure of his intentions but he has been influenced by Skil Shimano's integrity and ethics - is it Spekenbrink the insightful Manager/ DS?

I think heritage is more important to Warren than filthy luca.Having said that - It guarantees wild card entries so Fortuneo will invest in him - perhaps with two domestiques? Fiellu and Hardy had a very reasonable tour and Gesbert looks promising and Jeannesson is still my underrated rider but sadly slipping down the pole

Bretagne (Morbihan) rider on a Bretagne team though...the public love it!
  • rick_chasey
    dish_dash wrote:

ugh... my man, really?!?

What, rather than Katusha?
  • RichN95.

Sunweb a bit busy with Dumolin and Kelderman ? I was reading about Barguils earlier (simpler) days . He started it all for Bretagne Schuller - so not sure of his intentions but he has been influenced by Skil Shimano's integrity and ethics - is it Spekenbrink the insightful Manager/ DS?

I think heritage is more important to Warren than filthy luca.Having said that - It guarantees wild card entries so Fortuneo will invest in him - perhaps with two domestiques? Fiellu and Hardy had a very reasonable tour and Gesbert looks promising and Jeannesson is still my underrated rider but sadly slipping down the pole

So it's a bit like when Alan Shearer signed for Newcastle instead instead of Manchester United (he still got the filthy luca - won sod all though)
  • rick_chasey
    If Kittel then goes to Katusha to fill the gap (he'd be mad, but I guess Katusha would pay more money), I imagine quick step would have a lot of money to splash on a top rider; especially as Boonen retired.

Presumably some of that is taken up with a chunkier deal for Gilbert, who I heard was on a very lean 'eat what you kill' style contact in 2017.

Surely they should hire Degenkolb?
  • RonB
    Fitting in somewhere between Alaphilippe and Gaviria?
  • rick_chasey
    TBH, Quick step should never let Kiwa have gone; he's the man to beat Sagan in the classics and if he turns his mind to it, that will be a wonderful rivalry.

You wonder if Degenkolb will recover from his training accident and if he got his MSR PR double in just before guys like Sagan and kwia hit their stride.
  • RichN95.
    If Kittel then goes to Katusha to fill the gap (he'd be mad, but I guess Katusha would pay more money), I imagine quick step would have a lot of money to splash on a top rider; especially as Boonen retired.

Presumably some of that is taken up with a chunkier deal for Gilbert, who I heard was on a very lean 'eat what you kill' style contact in 2017.

Gaviria is ready to step up to fill a lot of the holes.
  • rick_chasey
    RichN95 wrote:

Gaviria is ready to step up to fill a lot of the holes.

Ah yes. I forgot about him.

Correctemundo.
  • rick_chasey
    The_Boy wrote:
    The_Boy wrote:

21st Century Virenque.

Whadda waste.

“I am very honored to join the team. I’ve watched them grow over the past four seasons,” Barguil said. “Emmanuel understands that I want to stay with the image that I projected during the past Tour, to let me express myself in my natural attacking spirit.”
    Read more at http://www.velonews.com/2017/08/news/ba ... yBg6rGD.99

Meh.
  • dish_dash
    edited August 2017
    dupe
  • dish_dash

Degenkolb feels a bit cooked, non? The crash really took it out of him and the others just seem stronger now...
  • The_Boy wrote:
    The_Boy wrote:

21st Century Virenque.

Whadda waste.

But Danilo's banned!
  • markwb79
    markwb79 Posts: 937
    The_Boy wrote:
    The_Boy wrote:

21st Century Virenque.

Whadda waste.

But Danilo's banned!

I also get the impression that Sunweb are reducing the budget each time. Never too many expensive riders.

Kelderman, Tom and Matthews?
    Sinkledam wins the nationals and probably asks for a payrise. They cant afford it, so it looks for another team, at the same time they are giving him a kit that is more focused on the Sponsors than him winning the nationals.
    Scott Addict 2011
    Giant TCR 2012
  • Gallopin to Ag2R - didnt see that one coming
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,564
    The_Boy wrote:

21st Century Virenque.

Whadda waste.

http://inrng.com/2017/08/warren-barguil ... eo-oscaro/

"..... it marks a move back the squad Barguil rode for once as a stagiaire, a team founded in his native Brittany region, an area that is a hotbed of French cycling. Barguil is so attached to the region that, like many, he says he’s as much a Breton as a Frenchman. Barguil had moved to the south of France in search of better weather and longer climbs to train on but the move didn’t work out. His missed family and friends and in time moved back. The lesson here is that Barguil wants to live as he pleases rather than adopt the ascetic life of chasing every watt to the exclusion of other things in life."

Seems fair enough.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • rick_chasey
    Gallopin to Ag2R - didnt see that one coming

There's a tax punishment for french riders on foreign teams no?