2018 Transfers: Rumours + Facts

Comments

• dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,561
    inseine wrote:
    dish_dash wrote:
    Been away and catching up on the podcast, Doug Ryder making pretty clear that he's working to bring Louis Meintjes back to Team DD/Qhubeka.
    and then a black African GC rider? That would be a breath of fresh air for the sport.

I think that is the long-term aim. But Louis probably the best African rider to help gradually transition Team DD into a GC focused team.
  • dish_dash wrote:
    which reminds me, with the news re Fortuneo-Vital Concept, Dan McLay shouldn't be lacking offers

off to Team Sky? :lol::lol::lol:

Ha! When he was looking to turn pro, despite having been on the GB Academy and winning a stage of the '14 l'Avenir riding for GB, he got nada interest from Brailsford and co when his agent contacted them. Echoes of their foul-up over Adam Yates...
  • dish_dash wrote:
    inseine wrote:
    dish_dash wrote:
    Been away and catching up on the podcast, Doug Ryder making pretty clear that he's working to bring Louis Meintjes back to Team DD/Qhubeka.
    and then a black African GC rider? That would be a breath of fresh air for the sport.

I think that is the long-term aim. But Louis probably the best African rider to help gradually transition Team DD into a GC focused team.

Gawd, Ryder and Smith spat out their dummies when he moved to Lampre....
  • dish_dash
    Kristoff to Astana maybe?
  • yourpaceormine
    yourpaceormine Posts: 1,245
    Dumoulin contract extension until 2022 confirmed this afternoon.
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    Froome to BMC rumour reported in L'equipe...
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    The_Boy wrote:

I couldn't see any logic to that. Unless he thinks the internet will stop accusing him of being a cheat if he moves.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • dish_dash
    gsk82 wrote:
    The_Boy wrote:

I couldn't see any logic to that. Unless he thinks the internet will stop accusing him of being a cheat if he moves.

Money... either BMC pay him more or such rumours help drive a better pay packet for him at Sky.
  • dish_dash wrote:
    gsk82 wrote:
    The_Boy wrote:

Money... either BMC pay him more or such rumours help drive a better pay packet for him at Sky.

Un-named source* to 'lEquipe

*Mrs F
  • joking apart, I could see him moving
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    joking apart, I could see him moving
    BMC though? If it was one of the Arab backed teams with a sack of cash I could believe it.

What happens if Porte beats him at the Tour? At Sky his leadership is unchallenged.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95 wrote:
    joking apart, I could see him moving
    BMC though? If it was one of the Arab backed teams with a sack of cash I could believe it.

What happens if Porte beats him at the Tour? At Sky his leadership is unchallenged.

Relationship between him & DB bloody awful. To say strained would be a helluva understatement

Also - connected to above - huffing and puffing about his reputation being besmirched by the last few months' biz
  • bikes`n`guns
    bikes`n`guns Posts: 959
    A few days ago I would have doubted it.
    After that TT I would say a move is a fair possibility.
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently
  • RichN95.
    Relationship between him & DB bloody awful. To say strained would be a helluva understatement

Also - connected to above - huffing and puffing about his reputation being besmirched by the last few months' biz
    Sure that relationship is bad. But how key is it? I would suggest that his relationship with Kerrison, Portal and Ellingworth is the key one.
    He'll be 33 at the end of next year - I think he's only got two good Tours left in him, so what would BMC be paying for?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    RichN95 wrote:

Sure that relationship is bad. But how key is it? I would suggest that his relationship with Kerrison, Portal and Ellingworth is the key one.

Yup, this.
  • The_Boy
    RichN95 wrote:
    He'll be 33 at the end of next year - I think he's only got two good Tours left in him, so what would BMC be paying for?

An old and expensive rider, as tradition dictates.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • RichN95 wrote:

Portal - seems very loyal

Ellingworth? There's an interesting one. Having had a conversation or two with him, I can say that Rodders is not a blind fan of his.

Kerrison was stung by the zero credit given to him by Froome in his book for any of his success in 2013, but Kerrison does what Kerrison does

Anyway, I suspect this is all Mr and Mrs F stirring the pot to get even more spondoolies
  • ovi
    ovi Posts: 396
    Who could replace Froome either in or out of team Sky?
  • The_Boy
    ovi wrote:

Contador

/scarpers
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    ovi wrote:
    Dumoulin. maybe?
  • dish_dash
    ovi wrote:

Rohan Dennis
  • philbar72 wrote:
    ovi wrote:
    Dumoulin. maybe?

He's staying at Sunweb until the 22nd century, as was reported a few days ago
  • dish_dash wrote:
    ovi wrote:

Rohan Dennis

Yeah, decent shout
  • hanshotfirst
    hanshotfirst Posts: 373
    ovi wrote:

Wasn't there some chat about them trying to get the likes of a Bardet or Pinot to stop them being so loathed at le tour?
  • ovi wrote:

Wasn't there some chat about them trying to get the likes of a Bardet or Pinot to stop them being so loathed at le tour?

King Kenny
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,712
    I think with Froome there is an element of "now or never" when moving teams.

It isn't quite like a footballer getting one last pay day on his contract but if he wants a decent payrise he is likely to get more by moving than renegotiating/extending.
  • My opinion on the changes in WT:
    COQUARD (Direct Energie), URAN, FORMOLO, CARUSO and ULISSI for Bahrain;
    MEINTJES for DD;
    Aru and KONRAD for the UAE;
    OSS for Bora;
    LANDA, KRISTOFF, MORKOV and HALLER for Astana;
    KITTEL and RICHEZE for Katusha;
    FUGLSANG and D.MARTIN for SKY;
    HIRT (CCC), JUNGELS and KIŠERLOVSKI for Sunweb.

Of course it will not only be the changes!
  • RichN95.

It isn't quite like a footballer getting one last pay day on his contract but if he wants a decent payrise he is likely to get more by moving than renegotiating/extending.
    It would be a bit like Ronaldo leaving Real Madrid to go to PSG for more money, though. He doesn't appear to be a particularly flashy person, so he's probably already got more money than he can spend (especially as he's a Monaco tax dodger)
  • RichN95.
    RichN95 wrote:

It would be a bit like Ronaldo leaving Real Madrid to go to PSG for more money, though. He doesn't appear to be a particularly flashy person, so he's probably already got more money than he can spend (especially as he's a Monaco tax dodger)
    I write that then this happens:
    ZiBmivf.png

Conclusive proof the world is out to get me
  • Shadowrider
    Shadowrider Posts: 483
    There is no way Froome will leave Sky, and for a weaker GC team like BMC.