CMS hearings into the alleged culture of doping and bullying at British Cycling

Comments

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760
    chuuurles wrote:
    why r u guys attacking the people who are attempting to clean up cycling ?

Team Sky?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,153
    Ah, the Hydra has grown a new head. I wonder if this latest incarnation will be a one subject poster?
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    chuuurles wrote:
    Why welcome to the forum Chuuuuuuuurles. It'll be so good discussing how nice it is to be out on our bikes now the spring weather is here, or what Contador's form in Catalunya signifies for the GTs, or whether I'd be able to get a bigger cassette on my MTB.

But I rather suspect you're not here to talk about cycling, are you?
  • chuuurles
    chuuurles Posts: 14
    bompington wrote:
    chuuurles wrote:
    Why welcome to the forum Chuuuuuuuurles. It'll be so good discussing how nice it is to be out on our bikes now the spring weather is here, or what Contador's form in Catalunya signifies for the GTs, or whether I'd be able to get a bigger cassette on my MTB.

thanks for the passive agressive welcome mate, well i am not sure if this is the place, but yes it was lovely to take my bike off my tacx trainer and finally get outside yesterday for a great ride, spring has sprung!

It seems Froomes form in catalunya was much better than previous years (minus missing the break) which could be ominous for the Tour. Also Contadors seems to be at a promising level for a better rivalry at this years tour. Glad he has not retired as his attacks a la Paris-Nice have been so entertaining, if not entirely sucessful.
  • bompington wrote:
    chuuurles wrote:

Afternoon, Bomps
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    See, it's not difficult is it? ;-)
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,644
    Brexit wot?
  • sherer wrote:
    Latest story on this is here from the BBC

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/39411057

Once again the MPs say there are questions to be answered etc. Surely the fact that the procedures have changed since then answers all their questions. They found out the process didn't work and amended it. That's generally how things improve

Damian Collins says that when a cycling team has administrative paperwork missing, major questions need to to answered, but when his Conservative party treasury claims it has no paperwork for 100k of undeclared funds, there is nothing to see.

The hypocrisy is as staggering as it is predictable.
    And on the subject of staggering hypocrisy.....
    SPaM02 wrote:

On an unrelated note, I see the DM have done themselves proud with their 'Leg's-it' Headline. What a scummy rag that really is.

Not bad effort from the self proclaimed champions against sexism. :roll:

Nothing there has any relevance to this thread.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,701
    sherer wrote:

Once again the MPs say there are questions to be answered etc. Surely the fact that the procedures have changed since then answers all their questions. They found out the process didn't work and amended it. That's generally how things improve

Damian Collins says that when a cycling team has administrative paperwork missing, major questions need to to answered, but when his Conservative party treasury claims it has no paperwork for 100k of undeclared funds, there is nothing to see.

SPaM02 wrote:

On an unrelated note, I see the DM have done themselves proud with their 'Leg's-it' Headline. What a scummy rag that really is.

What, a bit like your comment, you mean?

It's plenty relevant for some, as to motivation, if they don't practice what they are preaching.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • pedro118118
    pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
    sherer wrote:

SPaM02 wrote:

It's plenty relevant for some, as to motivation, if they don't practice what they are preaching.

Plenty relevant indeed. It is blatantly clear that the MPs on this Committee are neither capable nor motivated to do the job they were empowered (and funded by our money) to do. As always, the CMS is just a platform for MPs to posture, position and claim some extra expenses. Damian Collins is the worst of the lot, a typical career politician striving to make a name for himself and expedite his desperate crawl off the back benches. Why this debacle has proceeded the UKAD report is inexplicable.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    To be fair I doubt Collins has anything to do with the Tory Party treasury.... it's not really relevant to whether or not Sky did something wrong.

Two wrongs don't make a right as they say.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Collins has said that he has more questions to ask. In an exclusive here are the top ten:

10. Why do they shave their legs?
    9. Having watched Eurosport, why is Si Clarke not a cycling superstar? Discrimination?
    8. How do they get the team sponsor on the yellow jersey? Do they have lots of different ones?
    7. Would Nicole Cooke have won the Tour if teams weren't so sexist?
    6. Why don't they race on the cycle path?
    5. If Mark Cavendish is so good why does he finish 128th in the Tour?
    4. What do Tour de France cyclists do for the rest of the year?
    3. Is Froome training for Tokyo 2020?
    2. How do they go to the toilet in a race?
    1. Why don't they pay Road Tax?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,455
    RichN95 wrote:
    5. If Mark Cavendish is so good why does he finish 128th in the Tour?
    Cause Cav's finished. :wink:
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    Plenty relevant indeed. It is blatantly clear that the MPs on this Committee are neither capable nor motivated to do the job they were empowered (and funded by our money) to do. As always, the CMS is just a platform for MPs to posture, position and claim some extra expenses. Damian Collins is the worst of the lot, a typical career politician striving to make a name for himself and expedite his desperate crawl off the back benches. Why this debacle has proceeded the UKAD report is inexplicable.
    Not sure why you say "blatantly clear that the MPs on this Committee are neither capable nor motivated to do the job". There may not have been any doping violation which occurred (and this is still open to question) but the CMS don't appear to have done too bad a job thus far in exposing the lackadaisical approach Sky and BC have taken towards doping and their lack of procedural controls to prevent doping from happening. If Sky and BC hadn't been so covert in their answers, the degree of suspicion would have passed and been yesterdays chip wrapper. Don't shoot the CMS messenger.
  • sherer wrote:

SPaM02 wrote:

So I take it that you feel the same about the following;
    UKAD
    British Cycling
    The Police Force
    Customs and Excise
    The House of Lords
    Most major car manufactures
    Most telecoms companies
    Supermarkets
    Councils and local authorities
    Airlines
    Computer manufacturers
    Sortware developers
    etc etc.....

Must be tough being perfect but mist also make life pretty tough.
  • blazing_saddles

UKAD
    British Cycling
    The Police Force
    Customs and Excise
    The House of Lords
    Most major car manufactures
    Most telecoms companies
    Supermarkets
    Councils and local authorities
    Airlines
    Computer manufacturers
    Sortware developers
    etc etc.....

Must be tough being perfect but mist also make life pretty tough.

To quote you: Nothing there has any relevance to this thread.
  • pedro118118
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    To be fair I doubt Collins has anything to do with the Tory Party treasury.... it's not really relevant to whether or not Sky did something wrong.

Two wrongs don't make a right as they say.

Agree on your latter point, but I find Collins mis-placed sanctimony particularly galling.
  • pedro118118
    Top_Bhoy wrote:
    Not sure why you say "blatantly clear that the MPs on this Committee are neither capable nor motivated to do the job". There may not have been any doping violation which occurred (and this is still open to question) but the CMS don't appear to have done too bad a job thus far in exposing the lackadaisical approach Sky and BC have taken towards doping and their lack of procedural controls to prevent doping from happening. If Sky and BC hadn't been so covert in their answers, the degree of suspicion would have passed and been yesterdays chip wrapper. Don't shoot the CMS messenger.

I don't agree. All the CMS have succeeded on doing this far is adding more speculative fuel to Daily Mail's fire. We, the public, are no closer to uncovering a smoking gun than Matt Lawton was when he first published his accusations back in October 2016. As you say, there may or may not have been a doping violation, but surely that is UKAD's job. And surely the presumption (in the absence of evidence to the contrary) is there hasn't been.

I stumbled across a 'debate' on TalkSport last night, where the "crisis in cycling" was being discussed. When I say discussed, there was a Daily Mail journalist repeating the claims in the various stories they have published over the last few months and expressing their disappointment/dissatisfaction at the responses/actions from BC/Sky. Then, to add some balance, they rolled out Matt Lawton to repeat it all again! Mind-numbing stuff...
  • RichN95.
    After half a year of investigating by the commons, Mail and BBC there is still no specific allegation of wrong doing. There's just incidences the team making mistakes in their early days. How much time and money have they spent to get here - because Richard Moore's book covers all sorts of blunders and that's available for less than a fiver.
  • spam02
    spam02 Posts: 178
    Top_Bhoy wrote:

Yes, but the title of the Inquiry is 'Combatting Doping in Sport Inquiry', not 'Combatting Doping at Team Sky Inquiry' and what exactly have the CMS uncovered that wasn't already known by the DM or UKAD? - Nothing.

I still can't work out if the CMS are meant to be discussing doping in cycling generally (Nicole Cooke), doping at Team Sky (Brailsford/Cope/Sapstead etc.) or doping in sport in general as per the actual Inquiry title.

- If cycling in general, why are they interfering with an on-going UKAD investigation?

- If into Team Sky, why call Nicole Cook to discuss Team Sky's procedures? Why not call Bradley Wiggins (as he says he's desperate to talk)? (Also, what has Nicole Cooke's 'evidence' concerning the culture at British Cycling got to do with doping?)

- If it's doping in sport generally as the title suggests, where are the discussions on sports other than Cycling (and one on Athletics). What about doping in Rugby or Weightlifting or Amateur Sports (in light of the recent findings) or better still one on Football following the 2 recent PROVEN anti-doping infringements by Premier League Clubs.

Other than Sapstead and some of Brailsford's evidence, it's been a pointless exercise. We already knew (or could guess) what Cope/ Freeman etc were going to say/write in advance. Cooke's gripes with BC were well known (and her knowledge of Team Sky limited).
    A waste of Taxpayers money that would have been better spent on UKAD in the first place.
  • pedro118118
    SPaM02 wrote:
    Top_Bhoy wrote:

Yes, but the title of the Inquiry is 'Combatting Doping in Sport Inquiry', not 'Combatting Doping at Team Sky Inquiry' and what exactly have the CMS uncovered that wasn't already known by the DM or UKAD? - Nothing.

I still can't work out if the CMS are meant to be discussing doping in cycling generally (Nicole Cooke), doping at Team Sky (Brailsford/Cope/Sapstead etc.) or doping in sport in general as per the actual Inquiry title.

- If cycling in general, why are they interfering with an on-going UKAD investigation?

- If into Team Sky, why call Nicole Cook to discuss Team Sky's procedures? Why not call Bradley Wiggins (as he says he's desperate to talk)? (Also, what has Nicole Cooke's 'evidence' concerning the culture at British Cycling got to do with doping?)

- If it's doping in sport generally as the title suggests, where are the discussions on sports other than Cycling (and one on Athletics). What about doping in Rugby or Weightlifting or Amateur Sports (in light of the recent findings) or better still one on Football following the 2 recent PROVEN anti-doping infringements by Premier League Clubs.

Other than Sapstead and some of Brailsford's evidence, it's been a pointless exercise. We already knew (or could guess) what Cope/ Freeman etc were going to say/write in advance. Cooke's gripes with BC were well known (and her knowledge of Team Sky limited).
    A waste of Taxpayers money that would have been better spent on UKAD in the first place.

^^^ completely agree

The CMS is as confused as it is ineffective - little more than a political posturing parade. I maintain the view that - in so far as doping allegations are concerned - UKAD should be given the time to conclude their investigation. Then interrogate the findings/recommendations. As for the report on the culture/failings at BC and ill-treatment of athletes, it beggars belief, although I confess I find it hard to get excited about our athletes 'taking part' in the Olympics, however warm and fluffy they may feel inside from being loved by who surround them. I prefer to cheer them on to winning medals.
  • kingstongraham
    https://www.parliament.uk/business/comm ... ing-15-16/
    Scope of the inquiry

In August the Sunday Times published a series of articles commenting on a database of test results from athletes taken between 2001 and 2012, which its experts argued showed abnormal results for a number of endurance runners.

The Committee explores the allegations (which have been strenuously rebutted by the International Association of Athletics Federations) that the IAAF failed to follow up test results from some prominent athletes which raised suspicions that blood doping had occurred.

Yes...

Also, I think this evidence from Leicester City clears up any suspicion around them: http://data.parliament.uk/writteneviden ... /34586.pdf

I think they have done a good job of making Team Sky uncomfortable, but that's pretty much it so far.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    Yes, they've been going at it for a year and a half now, the scope and title keep changing (what has sexism allegations in BC got to do with doping in sport?) and I don't even know if they're expected to produce some sort of report at the end, or if they even have an end.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • spam02
    spam02 Posts: 178
    https://www.parliament.uk/business/committees/committees-a-z/commons-select/culture-media-and-sport-committee/inquiries/parliament-2015/blood-doping-15-16/
    Scope of the inquiry

In August the Sunday Times published a series of articles commenting on a database of test results from athletes taken between 2001 and 2012, which its experts argued showed abnormal results for a number of endurance runners.

The Committee explores the allegations (which have been strenuously rebutted by the International Association of Athletics Federations) that the IAAF failed to follow up test results from some prominent athletes which raised suspicions that blood doping had occurred.

Yes...

Also, I think this evidence from Leicester City clears up any suspicion around them: http://data.parliament.uk/writteneviden ... /34586.pdf

I think they have done a good job of making Team Sky uncomfortable, but that's pretty much it so far.

Yep, I agree, that Leicester statement is pretty decisive. "No further questions your Honour"
  • RichN95.
    Yes, they've been going at it for a year and a half now, the scope and title keep changing (what has sexism allegations in BC got to do with doping in sport?) and I don't even know if they're expected to produce some sort of report at the end, or if they even have an end.
    They're basically just 'investigating' whatever story happens to be in the Daily Mail (who are the government now)

There have to be real concerns as to whether UKAD can conduct an impartial investigation with both a commons committee and the media wanting a certain result.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    https://www.parliament.uk/business/committees/committees-a-z/commons-select/culture-media-and-sport-committee/inquiries/parliament-2015/blood-doping-15-16/
    Scope of the inquiry

Yes...

It's ok, there's no doping in football
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,387
    My goodness, imagine if that was a cycling team, let alone Team Sky issuing such a statement!

I won't hold my breath waiting for the CMS to call senior executives from Man City, Bournemouth and Leicester to appear.
  • kingstongraham
    There must be proper doping out there for them to investigate. From Team Sky, the worst they seem likely to uncover is that Wiggins might have been injected after a race but before midnight. Which is a doping offence, but seems unlikely to have improved his performance in the race he'd already finished.
  • blazing_saddles
    It's not just the CMS failing to inviting the most obvious interview candidate in Wiggins , either.
    The independent investigation into sexism and bullying at British Cycling has done exactly the same thing.
    It beggars belief.

Oh and early last month, it was announced that the report would be delayed until March.
    Tick tock, tick tock......
  • chuuurles
    chuuurles Posts: 14
    this is a great circle jerk boyz!